A poll about religion

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by MattyIce, May 31, 2014.

Do you think that allowing prayer/discussion of religion in school would make kids more tolerant?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Maybe, depending on how the discussion went.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One of my Christian friends posted this on her facebook, and I was curious what the lovely people of Iwaku thought.

Please no flaming, and if you would, post your thoughts on it.
  2. Not prayer, but the discussion of religion.

There should, if anything, only be a "moment of silence" at events or in the mornings before class starts. The kids should have the freedom to pursue whatever religion speech that want at this point, without infringing upon anyone else's rights to religious speech. So pretty much, everyone bow their heads and pray to whichever gods you choose!

The discussion can only help tolerance. If you grow up hearing a) my religion is better than all relgions OR b) all religions are dumb, then you don't have any dialogue when it comes to religious freedom. You need to know what the other side looks like, what the other folks believe and why they believe, and why it's important you support their right to believe certain things. I mean, really, why should anyone respect your beliefs, if you can't respect someone else's?
    • Love Love x 3
  3. Maybe, it is more likely you would have several different reactions - depending on where the school is located.

*Jumps up and down waving at the staff camera*
  4. What? Prayer/discussion of religion isn't allowed in American schools? That's almost as strange as going for the other extreme and forcing all the children to pray whether they like it or not. I come from a predominantly atheistic country - supposedly, it's the most atheistic country in the whole Europe - but I remember participating in a plenty of discussions about Christianity, Islam, religion and God in general in school. Some older teachers who believed in God were trying to impose their opinions on us, sure, but you know what? Despite what adults seem to think, being a child doesn't automatically mean being mentally inferior/easily influenced. Not even kids adopt beliefs just because someone of authority told them to consider it; come on, give the little critters some credit. They actually think about such matters before deciding, and broadening your horizons is essential for growth. The discussions I have experienced were mostly very informative... Except for one very odd chat with a classmate of mine, but she was from a family of religious fanatics. It went like this:

Me: *is forced to spend time with her due to a school project, tries to find a normal topic to talk about to disrupt the awkward silence* "Uhhh... What about music? What bands do you listen to?"
    T.: *surprisingly mentions some rather good metal bands*
    Me: "Cool! Do you know Nightwish? They play symphonic metal, and..."
    T.: "Yeah, well, their music is cool, but I don't listen to them. They're satanists."
    Me: *puzzled* "What? But some of their songs are blatantly Christian! The Carpenter is about Jesus, for god's sake!"
    T.: "Their satanism doesn't show in their lyrics, but I can assure you they're satanists in their private lives."
    Me: "How do you know?"
    T.: "I have a friend, and he can tell when someone is a satanist. He can feel it."
    Me: "Uhh... Oookay." *backs away slowly*

Yes, I realize it's not much of a debate, but I found it so delightfully bizarre I still had to share the story :D
  5. Fuck me, if they thought Nightwish was bad I'd pay good money to see how they react to Behemoth.
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  6. -Slaps a big ol' NOPE on that.-
  7. Personally, I think that discussion, persay, is a bad idea. Opinions should probably be left out of it entirely. But being educated on the actual facts, the history and the beliefs and the real people who are part of a religion- that's important. The number of people in my town who think that Catholics aren't Christian is too damn high.
  8. All I have to say is I live in the most liberal part of the US and one of the elective English classes for seniors was on the bible, because it IS a huge literary influence on the western world. There was also a Christian morning prayer club that no one really bothered. This whole idea of people being anti-prayer in school is perpetuated ONLY by people that want to force THEIR religion in school.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Hm.
  10. Unless you can guarantee that a neutral party is conducting the discussion, nope. It won't end well.

With as many religions as there are, I'm going to say no.
  11. @Smo would you like to elaborate?
  12. No...I could just see it being to big of a problem...just leave religion and school separate in my opinion...
    • Love Love x 1
  13. I think it should be optional just like so many other things are. Who cares if a kid decides he wants to pray silently to himself/herself before he/she takes a test, or pray over their meal. It's when beliefs are forced on others that damage is caused on both sides of the fence.

Prayer is part of a faith and just like Atheists have the right to practice of their beliefs, other religious views should be allowed to do the same. It should always be done in respect to those around them. If someone was anti christian and they felt the need to pray around someone who didn't believe the same, he should be permitted to do it silently. It's all about us parents teaching our children to respect the views of others.

As far as debates and discussion go about religion, I think school is not e place for them. You want to discuss and debate religious views, do it after school when the focus isn't on the education. Obviously when you learn about things such as the Crusades in history, or some early writers and revolutionaries like Martin Luther or John Calvin and even Darwin, you're goi to learn about those different views.
  14. What about history class, though? How can students understand the Crusades if they don't know about Christianity and Islam? How will WWII makes sense if you can't teach the basics of Judaism? How can iconoclasm be explained except by including religion?
    Fortunately or unfortunately, religion plays a huge role in human society and it is practically impossible to cover any liberal arts, social science, or history class without a basic understanding of the major world faiths (their histories and broad beliefs).
  15. *clears throat* Let me rephrase myself on what I meant. When I meant was no just straight religion. If you need to explain something because of lets say history, then that's fine. I meant like if a class was specifically meant for going over a religion and that's it, and not connecting it as something needed to be explained for another topic, such as part of history.
  16. Ah. ^^ That makes more sense. Would it just be classes over a religion, though?

Personally, I've always thought that a class for all major religions would be a good idea, though- say, freshman year or so. A class teaching about comparative world religions without any positive/negative bias, just the facts. It's so hard to explain history when you have to backtrack every five minutes to explain why a certain ethnic group or nation does a certain thing. (half of my sophomore world history course was "wait, so why did iconoclasm happen?" "who was Muhammad?" "so wait, if Angkor Wat is a church why isn't there a cross on the roof?")
  17. A class of several religions I still see as a problem. I see it as a problem because of, one what about people who have religions that don't get covered, and two what his the discussions. People have done stuff over much less things then religion. Some people take it pretty serious and can have issues with someone who doesn't believe in the same thing. There's just to many negative possibilities in my opinion.
  18. Well, it wouldn't cover religions on the basis of validity, only on historical impact. No point in learning about Obscure Satanist Cult #485, but Eastern Orthodoxy and its relationship with Cyrillic alphabet? IDK, I think religion is an important precursor to literally every history class. People are going to get offended and get into conflict, but in HS, people are going to fight over something stupid. It might as well be educational while they argue. We still teach government, after all, and I doubt there has ever been a HS government class without butthurt.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. True...just from what I've seen, I just don't know how I feel on it. I can't see it ever happening, so I guess will never know for sure if it would work or not.
  20. I believe people NEED to be educated on different kinds of religion. o__o It's the ignorance about them that causes all the problems, not the religions themselves. Even people who claim a certain faith are uneducated about their own religion. Even just having a small chapter in a History book dedicated to the most influential religions of history and what their core beliefs are would be better than nothing.

Cause I am with Ocha on this one, the only people who want to keep religion out of it entirely are people who are afraid of something. Be it having a religion forced on them, or having their religion questioned. It dun matter if you are Christian, Atheist, or Buddhist, educating people about these things can do nothing but GOOD for making our own choices and understand other people better.
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.