Quite often
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Dark Fantasy, Fantasy, Zombie, slice-of-life survival, Post Apocalyptic, Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, High Fantasy, Modern, medieval
The hatch closed with a loud clang, a long twist of the vault-like handle setting the locks in place. Those things wouldn't be getting in, now. John luckily lived alone, and didn't have any family to speak of. Even luckier, he had built this apocalypse shelter and stocked it well, swept up in the craze of doomsday prepping. He never really thought it was going to happen, it was just something to occupy his bank account and show his friends, but damned if he wasn't glad he got it now. "We're safe. For now, at least." He had brought one of his neighbors with him, who had been over to hang out before the attack. They would have to venture up eventually, but they had enough supplies to last them for a while.

The underground complex was an 1100sqft. survival bunker by Atlas Survival Shelters, a self-contained home and storage facility. Half of the complex contained a master bedroom, kitchen, living space, dinner area, extra bunks, and a bathroom, while the other half was used for storage. John had kept it stocked with decades worth of non-perishables, water, and even easy-setup grow beds for fresh crops. The whole place was rigged with air pipes to the surface and it was naturally cool due to being underground. The place even had it's own separate generator, which was also hooked up to the solar panel roof John had installed.

It was just the two of them now. They didn't even know each other all that well, but John supposed they would, soon enough.

Beardman.jpg

pic3.jpg

"I think I need to sit down" was the only words that seemed to be able to leave a mumbling Davids mouth. Stumbling slightly he sat down on the ground, letting a shaky hand run through the thick waves of his black hair. It was ever so slightly damp from the physical exertion it had taken to get to the shelter. David let a shaky and nervous laugh slip. The shelter.

He had always questioned his neighbor's weird hobby, at times even wondering if he simply was a paranoid conspiracy theorist hiding behind an excuse of it being something he liked to work on. But no matter what he had thought of the shelter in the past David couldn't be happier to be behind closed doors at least. Closed doors that nothing seemed to be able to get through.

He sat there trying to breathe normally, letting his still fast beating heart slow down and the tremble in his hands to disappear, while simultaneously trying to wrap his head around the situation, but that was something that almost felt impossible to do. The simply weren't one thing about what they had just witnessed that made a single lick of sense which was how David normally would prefer things to be. Logical and rational, the opposite of everything right now.

I don't have a face claim here's a shot description: Dark, wavy hair, reaches dow to about ears and jawline. Dark brown eyes. Tan skin. Avg to tall height. Slim build. Hispanic. Wears square framed glasses.

John let out a little chuckle. It grew into a giggle, snowballing into a full laughing fit. He thought he must look psychotic, laughing in the face of a narrowly-escaped death and possibly the end of the world, but the idea only made him laugh harder. His laughing fit quickly turned into a coughing fit, and he collapsed to his hands and knees, afraid he was about to cough up a lung. The world swirled around him, and he slowly became aware of David's presence again. "We... we fuckin' made it. Dave, we. Fucking. Survived. Ha! Never thought I'd see the day I'd use this place more than a few hours a day as an escape, but damn am I glad I have it now."

He sat up and leaned against the wall, trying to catch his breath. "I need a drink." He looked up, regarding David with a smile of relief and adrenaline. "Want one? Got a full stocked bar down here, and plenty stored still."

Excluding the initial shock of seeing John break down in laughter, David wasn't all that phased by it. Mostly because he was still busy trying to get a grip on the situation himself, staring straight forward without even really looking at anything. That is, until John twisted around, making David jump slightly. He only really properly registering what his neighbor was saying towards the end. A question about drinking.

The words "no thank you" almost escaped Davids mouth out of habit upon being asked about drinking, then he realized how stupid that would be to say, who cared about when he'd normally find it appropriate to drink when they had jut barely escaped what most certainly would have been a very painful death.

Death. His breath got quicker and more shallow again as images of what they had just escaped flashed across his eyes. He went back to focusing on breathing normally again. In five seconds, hold, out seven. Until his breath was steady enough to remember he had been asked a question.

"Fuck it" he mumbled again mostly for himself and then cleared his throat to actually take John up the offer, "Yeah, sure"

John slowly rose to his feet, and stumbled through the doorway of the mudroom and through the living area, into the kitchen. He pulled down a few bottles of various liquors, taking a bottle of dark rum and a glass to the couch, pouring a drink he drained just as quick. "Take what you like, if you don't see anything you want I can check in storage." he invited, tilting his head back against the couch. He decided against trying to process what he had seen- that would only make him panic. He'd deal with it when he was ready.

"So, David. How, uh, how d'you like my bunker? I don't think you've ever been in here, actually. Kind of a pet project, really." He tried making casual conversation to convince himself he wasn't as shaken up as he was, having no clue if it would work or not.

Reactions: devilcake
David followed John on slightly shaky legs and followed suit in grabbing a glass before joining the other man on the couch, pouring himself a glass as well. He was definitively not going to embarrass himself by mimicking John and downing the alcoholic beverage at once, though, instead he opted to carefully sip the drink.

"I mean, It's a lot bigger than I thought it'd be?" it didn't mean the place was all that roomy either. Which could be a problem if they would be stuck down there for long.

How long was he going to be stuck in this bunker?

David could feel both the grip on the glass in his hand and his chest tighten, his breathing becoming forced and quicker. He quickly pushed the anxious feelings back down in favour of continuing on conversing as if he was just on a random visit to his neighbour's weird shelter, "It's an odd hobby to have though, I mean no offense, but you wouldn't think this kind of thing would come into use"

David let a small, slightly nervous, laugh slip after he had finished his sentence. It obviously had come in use, and that was a good thing, despite the fact that he was stuck with someone who he just barely knew in a somewhat confined space for an undetermined amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.