A New Dawn OOC [Applications Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is basically tiring. Overuse would be done purely on determination/adrenaline alone and should have after effects (maybe a state of exhaustion, or if over-using a single spell, something relevant e.g. overuse of fire spells might give the caster burns).

I'm thinking that perhaps spells would be ranked by their own power, perhaps, in a light-medium-heavy way for ease. Something like a lock-picking spell would be light, in terms of its drain on the caster, whilst raising someone from the dead (and in the proper, non-corrupting necromancy way) would be a heavy spell. You could then say that the energy costs would be 1-3-5 respectively, and the average person has a "mana" level of 5/day. Some people with a natural affinity for magic might start out at 7/day, others, with lower affinity would begin at 3/day.

Over time, regular use of magic would help the person to increase their spells per day and so on.

I would call this "mana", so as to differentiate it from physical tiredness. Characters would be physically tired if they did a lot of walking, or fighting, the usual sort of things. Normally, the two wouldn't overlap, but casting too many spells, or physical overexertion would both lead to an "exhausted" status that makes the character unable to cast further spells and also unable to do anything physically demanding for a period of time, rendering the character somewhat useless until they recover.

Maybe I'm going too much into this...

Its fine. I kind of agree, but perhaps to make things simpler, we could stick to limiting spells to a certain amount of uses depending on the character? That way we wouldn't have to keep track of what spell costs what amount and such. As such, a stronger mage could cast up to 5 spells a day (if all spells are strong and all spells have been cast for the day, no matter the magical ability and amount they may cast, they could fall into the overuse category, which will have drawbacks), while a decently trained magic user could have 3, and a weakly trained could have 1?

(I suck ass at keeping up with math, so this could simplify it XD I'd forget how many mana my spells cost, and then forget what I'd done, and it'd just turn into a mess)

Lucian can also control the (un)dead..
What's the difference between summoning the dead and summoning the un-dead ;-;

BrokenTerra:
Question: How is the combat going to work?
(Meaning, how are we going to rp it.. turns? And I suppose you are controlling all baddies?)

I will roleplay the bigger or more important enemies, you can tell if it is an enemy I will RP because I will write a bio for them in my post and add them to the lore. Still thinking about the details though

The only question I have about it is whether there's a limit to magic use, as in a "spells per day" quota or something. All I'm thinking is that, if Alexandra buys/finds/steals a scroll of "Heal Wound", then surely it's a bit ridiculous is she waltzes into the local hospital and proceeds to cure everyone she comes across.

I did initially write up a concept where you could only use each spell you know once a day, but it just ending up sounding like you had to re-buy a spell each time you used it, which is definitely not what I wanted. So I'll read through these posts and put together some other limitation.

Whilst I like that anyone could learn a spell or two if they wanted (I appreciate the comment on warriors not knowing magic generally, but I think a few of them might try to master a simple healing spell, just for the sake of practicality)

Warriors CAN learn spells and vice versa, most definitely a basic healing spell. Just not the more powerful ones

Thanks for the input ^^

Edit: Went with Ambre's version, as I don't want people getting confused

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so you can only cast a certain amount of magicks per day...
But what is a day?
Meaning, are we doing irl days, or days that happen in the rp, say we role play that our characters are sleeping?

And for my question about combat.. that's not what I meant, though what I got was good info..
What I meant was; how are we going to post it irl..
Meaning, are we going to have an order so it keep it even and fair, which ,chivarable, you would have to clarify the order of our posts or it would be confusing, or are we just gonna got out and post like crazy..

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, just wanna clarify the things.

unfortunately today my laptop died, I will try my best to continue the thread for now but posting and editing the OP is a pain on my phone

@Chivarable
Honestly I put (un)dead because it's not just zombies and skeletons which are dead, he can also control the undead like vampires and ghouls and stuff like that.

The reason to why I said anything is because under magic, it says raising the dead. He can also control it, or else his ability would be pretty useless.
Example 1: Raises a zombie, it eats him and everyone else.
Example 2: Raises a zombie, makes it fight for him and become his strength.

And if he can only summon three times a day (Idc either way, I'm just curious), wouldn't that make him pretty weak? He has no physical strength, he is practically as weak as a child. XD (that's why he needs magic)
Now that I think about it... That won't make much sense since he's killed people before.. Hmm.. Seems I'll have to update my CS, like with when he learned dark magic (necromancy)..

Would that mean he can summon for an extended time each time?

unfortunately today my laptop died, I will try my best to continue the thread for now but posting and editing the OP is a pain on my phone

For some reason, it will only let me log myself on my phone, it refuses to let me sign on on my laptop. :/

@Chivarable
Honestly I put (un)dead because it's not just zombies and skeletons which are dead, he can also control the undead like vampires and ghouls and stuff like that.

The reason to why I said anything is because under magic, it says raising the dead. He can also control it, or else his ability would be pretty useless.
Example 1: Raises a zombie, it eats him and everyone else.
Example 2: Raises a zombie, makes it fight for him and become his strength.

And if he can only summon three times a day (Idc either way, I'm just curious), wouldn't that make him pretty weak? He has no physical strength, he is practically as weak as a child. XD (that's why he needs magic)
Now that I think about it... That won't make much sense since he's killed people before.. Hmm.. Seems I'll have to update my CS, like with when he learned dark magic (necromancy)..

Would that mean he can summon for an extended time each time?

Can Lucian just summon any old undead that he fancies in any given setting? To me, that seems very overpowered compared to the other characters. If he can only raise/control the dead *around* him then that probably makes things a bit fairer. If we got into a fight as soon as we left the prison, Lucian would be utterly useless to begin with, as you said, but once the rest of the group killed one of the opponents, then he could raise it as an undead servant to fight for him. Maybe his raising spells would vary in power, so it's easy to summon a zombie/skeleton, but it takes more time/mana to raise a corpse as a ghoul, and longer still to raise it as a vampire. The more power spent on the raising, the more powerful the minion, but sometimes if the enemy are swarming, he would have to settle for quickly raising a zombie because he would be interrupted (and the spell would fail) before he could summon a vampire.

As for him being as "weak as a child", well, that's nothing to stop him killing anyone. With a knife and the element of surprise, you don't need to be strong to get the job done. Alexandra isn't strong (she's also pretty short), but she gets the job done by getting close to people and sneak attacking them.

@BrokenTerra
when I put "summoning/controlling the undead" it also encompasses all those other things you mentioned, as well as controlling them, I guess I should have been more specific really.

I also agree with what Terpishcore said about only being able to control/raise things that are around you, just like how element manipulators can't create the element from nothing

Can Lucian just summon any old undead that he fancies in any given setting? To me, that seems very overpowered compared to the other characters. If he can only raise/control the dead *around* him then that probably makes things a bit fairer. If we got into a fight as soon as we left the prison, Lucian would be utterly useless to begin with, as you said, but once the rest of the group killed one of the opponents, then he could raise it as an undead servant to fight for him. Maybe his raising spells would vary in power, so it's easy to summon a zombie/skeleton, but it takes more time/mana to raise a corpse as a ghoul, and longer still to raise it as a vampire. The more power spent on the raising, the more powerful the minion, but sometimes if the enemy are swarming, he would have to settle for quickly raising a zombie because he would be interrupted (and the spell would fail) before he could summon a vampire.

As for him being as "weak as a child", well, that's nothing to stop him killing anyone. With a knife and the element of surprise, you don't need to be strong to get the job done. Alexandra isn't strong (she's also pretty short), but she gets the job done by getting close to people and sneak attacking them.

I've already stated that it takes energy/mana out of him in his CS. It means exactly as you said, depending on the monster/thing, it takes more or less mana out of him.
Example: Raising a skeleton takes 1 mana vs a zombie which takes 2 mana so:
Two zombies and a skeleton takes 5 mana
A murder (6) of zombies (like crows lol) takes 12+ mana
To control a single weak vampire, 4+ mana
To control a single average vampire, 8+ mana
To control a strong vampire, 16+ mana
Etc.

Something like that.. :/ it may seem like like he's op (over-powered) but when we finally rp, he'll just seem like a sick sadistic freak that hangs around a single skeleton he named Frank.

I agree with both of you, if the undead/dead isn't there to begin with, he can't raise it. If he raised anything and everything, that'd be boring anyways. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
When will this be starting by the way?^^ it seems we've had no more signups.

Hopefully I can get a replacement by the end if the week, so you can expect the IC to be up by then

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't know how ads work :/ I'm a noob

You see them at the top.

Basically ads are 300x450.

I made this one using
picmonkey
and a pic from your intro.

You just upload the pic you want to use and the text if you haven't put it on it yet.

Did you upload it? I can't see any image!

Not to overstep bounds at all but this is just a suggestion for how I thinky ou could run this rp to make it the least amount of hassle.

1. Do the rp in the form of Chapters. This requires you to have a specific thing youw ant done for the chapter, or things encompassing multiple characters. You don't give it away to the players but the players basically write towards it. You just direct them in the way you wish them to go. This style needs NO post order which makes it feel alot more free and it means the only one that hassles players for posts is the gm XD.

2. Decide if this is sandbox or direct story. Or a mix of both somehow. Once this is decided make it clear to players what level of writing they need to use to be successful in the rp. My personal level is that I pretty much gm my own posts add scenes to spice things up, but that make sense, and NEVER do just reactionary posts (They go no where v.v) Always seek to move the plot along with each post you do. Make it significant and not just filler. That is how I prefer to do things.

3. As far as combat, my suggestion is to have it be scripted. I ran a game like rpg on this site one time where I actually fought the players. IT IS A MESS! Instead pm certain players how the fight is supposed to go down, or else collaborative post with players. Like I said not trying to overstep here but I feel these elements are INCREDIBLY necessary for any long term group rp to survive.

4. Hijacking~ In the case of Gm furthering plot he should be allowed to npc your characters to place them in the situation he wishes them to be in. Now in terms of other players doing this, well thats up to players Id say. This helps keep lot fresh and epic.

I think thats all I got. My friend and I will likely be tossing our cs in very soon. =)

I did (and it got approved) but it's an ad, so u can't always see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.