A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mayor accepted the amiable handshake and firmly gripped the woman's hand, smiling as the two made contact. The strange girl had a way of speaking that charmed her immediately, and as plans began to form, so too did her wide grin.

"Hello, Annabelle. I'm Mayor Ray. It's a pleasure to meet you."

In truth, the mayor had intended on walking into the inn the provide her husband with a lunch he had forgotten on the kitchen counter that same morning, but after remembering his midnight rant only hours before, she decided it might have been a good idea to visit the stranger currently taking residence within the inn's walls. And at the sound of Annabelle's confession, she was certainly glad she had.

"Oh, really? You don't mind staying?" Suzie brought her hand to her chin in thought. "Well, we do have an empty house you could stay in, and my husband always needs help around the inn. I'm sure the townsfolk would be thrilled to have a new resident."

"Are you going off and recruiting someone else?" Lorenzo laughed. "She hasn't even been here a whole day!"

"You were here only three hours before you decided to set up camp here," the mayor reminded him with a knowing smile, "I think she can handle it."​

• Love
Reactions: Lillian Gray

"A house? Oh my, I just couldn't!" Annabelle was shaking her head before the Mayor even finished her sentence. "That's far too much for you to offer, I couldn't!"

Although, what was the harm? She'd left home in search of somewhere else, anywhere else, with not much of an idea in mind. She tried to think, what exactly could she offer the small town that they didn't have? Annabelle didn't farm land, although she was good with animals, there wasn't enough money in her pocket to pay for any livestock (and she wasn't about to ask). She could cook, but that was Lorenzo's job it would've seemed. All that left her was her good looks and charm, and even that was a sarcastic after thought.

"I can't do nothing for ya'll, as much as I'd like to." She admitted. "I don't have any money either to pay you."

Lorenzo was slowly sliding her coins back to her, but she wouldn't let him. Smiling out of the corner of her eye, her hands were quickly patting his in comfort, pushing it back his way.

"Oh come now, I did tell you 'next time'." He finally spoke.

"Oh, honey, I can't let you do that!" Annabelle put on the charm. "You'd be out of business if you let my stomach take over your generosity."

• Love
Reactions: moffnat

"If money is your concern," stated Brandon, "I've been lookin' for some help around the inn for awhile. I don't see why you couldn't fill the position. I'd pay ya good wages, and treat you fairly. My wife here can attest to that."

Mayor Ray chuckled, letting her husband wrap an arm around her shoulders. "He is kind," she admitted, "and I'm sure he'll do as he says. I don't like liars, much less marry them. Besides. You might not have a trade, but a new neighbor around these parts will do more for Willow's Landing than anything else right now. We have a good community here. A strong one. I'm sure you'll it right in." She shrugged. "But of course, you're not obligated. I can't make you stay, only insist on how much it would mean to us if you chose our little whimsy town as your place of rest."

Such a pretty girl shouldn't be wandering out in the world alone. Why not stay where she has friends?

"You'll live right across from Mrs. Ukita. I believe you met her yesterday."​

• Love

Annabelle shrugged herself sheepishly inward as she accepted the offer. "I'd love to stay, you're all too generous, I'll pay ya back every penny alright then?"

This seemed to be the right answer. Lorenzo was grinning wide at her acceptance, the couple also seemed happy. It was a small town, the added girl would make the gossip churn as it did with any new arrival. In the next few days, she felt like everyone might come say hello, in their own way the town would collectively learn every little detail they could about her. Such was a life in the small town.

"You mean Koyo?" She asked. "She's a real sweet pea, that one."

"Her and the twin boys, she does what she can to keep them in line." Lorenzo laughed. "Mac n'cheese is all they'll eat yet here. You should say hello to the Mister, too. Masao is a good man, quiet, a little odd sure-"

"Lorenzo." Brandon scolded him lightly.

"I'm sure I'll get around." Annabelle promised. "But, there was someone, Kohana? I wanted to thank him, he brought my things back even though it was rainin' cats and dogs last night. Can someone show me where I might find him?"

• Love

"Kohana? Oh, right." The mayor chuckled, "I'd let him slip my mind for some reason. Kohana's the local farmer. He's from one of the tribes out west, but he and his grandmother came to settle here about five years ago. Good kid, that one. Good farmer." Suzie pointed outside, to the fixed bicycle resting just beyond against a wooden bench made of oak. "Dropped that by this morning. You can take it out to the cabin, sorry Annabelle, but I've got no one to spare that can take you out that far at the moment. But I can give you directions, and I'm sure you'll have no trouble stopping to as for help if you get lost."

The girl seemed promising enough. Bright, spritely and built for kindness, she would be a welcomed edition to their little town of Willow's Landing, Suzie was certain. And everyone else seemed certain, too.​

Pointing Annabelle in the right direction seemed harmless enough, sure, but the poor girl had failed to mention her horrible sense for directions. The Mayor pointed out that it'd been West, just by the Ukita family home. Before she could get that way though, she'd have to go South for a bit, turn on the General Store, and keep going West until she hit a garden. From there it was straight north. Down, take a right, then another, easy enough right?

Annabelle had come to the general store, but the line of shops distracted her momentarily and it was like being in a whole other world. Strangers greeted her on the street, and she'd wave back politely. Some even called her name, shocking that the news had spread that quickly.

She got off of her bike and groaned, walking past the general store. Had the mayor said East, or West? Something about a left, or had it been right?

In any case, she stopped at the store and picked up a few things, shoving them quickly in her pack. She figured by the time she found her own house, there wouldn't be much time for shopping.

With some coaxing in the right direction, Annabelle had eventually come to the garden. It was coming up on the early afternoon, and she hated to think she'd spent so long walking around, simply looking for the place she was supposed to stay. By the time she routed herself up around the winding road to her home, she was awestruck to find that it was nothing like she expected.

The outside of the small home was covered in gray stone, the plaster which showed was cream colored, and matched with the wood trim running along the house, accenting windows and coming down in one massive pole just before the front door. The drive to get there was no easy walk either, Annabelle mentally decided she'd have to work on the path.

Was this really her new house? Something so cute, so freely given away without a cent in return? Surely it wasn't possible.

Last edited:
  • Love

Chop. Chop. Chop. Chop.

The breeze was welcomed, sifting through trees and brush to grace his skin with a cool touch. He paused a moment to drink in the small reward for his labors, smiling the smallest bit as the chimes on the front porch of the small cottage dingled and dangled to the rhythm of the same beat, before continuing. Kohana lifted the great axe above his head and slammed it down hard, right through a small block of wood, splintering it into two. He pushed both aside and placed another log atop the stump.

He had been working tirelessly since the newcomer's arrival to prepare the once broken-down cottage to its former glory. "We may have a new resident before the end of the week," Mayor Ray had promised him, "and no one knows how to work with wood the way you do." In truth it was nothing more than a hobby--farming was his job, livestock and crops and orchards and harvest moons, but Kohana was nothing but dutiful. He would do whatever was asked of him at so little a cost some might consider it slave labor, but he paid no mind. He enjoyed working like this, in such conditions that left him sweaty and stinging from a hard day in the sun. It made cold showers all the more wonderful.

In the distance, he heard a few voices. It is about time. Mayor Ray had told him that this Annabelle Richards would be by before sunset, but the Harvest Goddess had already worked to raise the moon and he had yet to see any sign of an unfamiliar face. He pulled the thick braid over his shoulder to pick out the stray strands of grass and splintered wood from the ebony before letting it fall back against the base of his spine, swaying. Hands on his hips, he waited.

At least I chose not to keep the damn shirt on, he thought. Makes the wind feel all the nicer.

• Love

Annabelle stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of the shirtless man before her. His black hair swayed with the light breeze, sweat glinted from his bare chest and she simply froze. Back where she was from, men like that didn't exist. Not waiting for her by her new home at least. She tucked her strawberry blonde curls behind her ears and worked up the courage to keep on moving forward.

"Pardon me, am I in the right place?" She intended to shout, but it didn't come out that way. Annabelle sounded anxious, her accent hitting the words hard. "I'm lookin' for my house, I'm not lost am I?"

If she'd gotten lost again somehow, she would've plopped down on the earth right there, maybe a few feet away from the masculine stranger. Her heart couldn't take staring at him, the way it fluttered in her chest so hard the cute butterflies from analogies felt more like worms she was ready to throw up if she spoke another second. Annabelle didn't like feeling so nervous, her feet marched on for her though, curious to get a look at his face regardless.

"I'm Annabelle." She offered out a hand once she was close enough.

He's...somethin'.

"Oh." Kohana swung the axe and stuck it into the stump he was chopping on, wiping off his hands and turning to face the stranger again. He contemplated her a moment, taking in her innocent eyes and bright hair, her sweet face and freckles and dimples. Inwardly, he smiled.

"Kohana," he offered, extending his hand to shake hers. "Chayton, really. But people call me Kohana."

She is beautiful, he noted to himself, but it was something he could never admit.

He glanced at the bike, knowing he didn't need to ask if it had worked well.​

• Love

"Oh, you're Kohana!" She exclaimed. "You fixed my bike, thank you so much!" Annabelle propped it up against a tree, pointing awkwardly to the chain. "Even the chain, you oiled it and everything, you're so sweet, you didn't have to do that!"

Annabelle twirled a strand of her hair around her finger, the curls naturally going along with the motion. Something about him just clicked, she dared to say she liked him already. Everyone else in town was kind to her, it made sense that he, too, would have the same kind of attitude towards strangers. The notion made more sense in her head, basing her assumptions off of nothing but an hours worth of conversation.

Her eyes darted back to the house though, pleased as punch at how she'd soon be able to call it her home. That is, assuming it was hers. It had to be. The girl wanted to take a look inside, her nerves jumping for the opportunity to step over the threshold. It could wait. Pleasantries came first.

"Do you prefer Kohana, or Chayton?" She asked. "I don't wanna go around making a fool of myself."

• Love

Kohana was mesmerized. Bewildered. Amused? He couldn't seem to find the proper word to place what he was feeling, but he had never seen eyes as genuine and kind as hers, nor had he seen the color of her hair on any other soul he'd encountered. She had freckles that spattered her face that only made him smile, a small thing, as it was rare that something so insignificant could bring him such happiness. He found himself staring too long, and moved to slip on his shirt.

"Kohana," he told her, buttoning up the flannel after the shaking the pine needles out. "I don't like the name Chayton. It doesn't sit well with me." His voice was as deep as a baritone, with hints of a cheery flute within. "You're welcome. It was an easy fix, honestly. Don't know why you'd be out on the road all by yourself, though. Could be dangerous."

Kohana never had to worry about danger. He was as strong as any ox and tall too, fearsome to those who didn't know how gentle he was. In truth he was more harm to a fly than a human, but he didn't like people knowing that. The more they thought him intimidating, the better. Especially with strangers.

"The house is old. I repaired the floors and repainted, but it still needs some TLC. Furniture is old, too. Sorry. Wish I could help more." He cleared his throat and shoved his hands in his pockets, rolling on his heels awkwardly.

"...you can look inside, if you want."​

"Can I?" Annabelle squealed with delight. The freckles on her face seemed to glow as her blush increased, she was excited to see the inside, and before she herself realized it she was speeding past the polite Kohana and into the old cabin. It was even better than she'd thought.

Tucked into the right side of the home was a small kitchen, the appliances were outdated and certainly nothing to brag about, but the rustic feel made her meld in as if she were at home. A sturdy wooden dining table rested against the back wall, waiting to be rearranged into its proper place alongside the kitchen where she planned to push it. More rustic furniture met her eyes, and she was in heaven. A rustic brown couch was just around the corner, out of sight from the initial walk in.

She kicked off her shoes and walked further in, and to her extreme delight there was a second floor hidden from view. The stairs were along the left most wall, with the couch facing it, as if prepped to have a TV sitting there. Annabelle was fast up the steps, peeking into the attic space above the house where a beautiful wooden headboard awaited her. Of course, there was a bed too, but what struck her was the shining wood, a slight red hue to it, sitting tall in the center of the space. The walls along the side were straight up until the top of the headboard, as if it were designed to fit just below the curve of the roof.

Every inch of the space, she loved it.

"Kohana!" Annabelle pushed open the window on the second floor, beaming. "You did all that? Fixed it up and everything? It's wonderful!"

Reactions: Sansa Stark

Kohana watched the stranger run around excitedly, fussing over this thing and that, all words that went over his head. He glanced this way and that nervously, awkwardly, not used to someone so upbeat and friendly offering him her attention. Especially someone like her.

"You're welcome," he said again, as if it was the only words he knew. "It was pretty easy. I like this kind of stuff." He scratched the back of his head, clearing his throat.

"Uhm. Is there anything else you need before I head out?"​

• Love

"What?" Annabelle snapped her head to attention.

She was lost in her own little world, her new little world at least. Even after she'd turned her head, her eyes were already trailing along a new surface, currently her hands rested on the bed frame she'd been so drawn to in the first place. From far away it was hard to tell, but there were small engravings along the surface, it rose and fell to imitate an intricate floral design. Most people might have found it tacky, but she loved it, absolutely loved it.

"I'm sorry." She shook her head and removed herself from the fantasy land in her head. "No, nothin' I can think of, hun. Thank you so much!"

Annabelle did a little half bow with her hands interlocked at her waist. She then swung her hips from side to side, the absolute embodiment of glee, her hair bouncing after her in tiny happy ripples.

"Do stop by some time though, alright?" She blushed, the invitation was extended and there was no taking it back, not that she regretted it at all. "I get lost pretty easy, and well, if I need anything it'll just be plain easy."

Reactions: Sansa Stark

"I'm not entirely sure I can," he stated, giving a small laugh as he watched her sway side to side. "I have a farm to run. Those are terribly busy when it's just one person working them."

Her glee reminded him much of someone he knew. A little girl in his tribe, from long ago. She would be only fifteen now, if memory served, a short little thing with a heart-shaped face and the same copper skin as he had. Ayasha was her name. "Kohana!" she used to say, "Come play with us. We need someone to tackle the buffalo!"

The buffalo, of course, was nothing more than a few pillows tossed together on a few sticks. They had played for hours until the Clan Mother had come to watch their joyous playing and offer advice on how to slay a bigger buffalo.

But that had been before. A different time in a different life.

"Is there anything else you need before I go?"​

"Oh, gosh sorry!" She stammered in her awkward twang, suddenly aware of how foreign she sounded compared to Chayton, Kohana as he seemed to prefer. "Of course, you'll be really busy, I guess I'll have to come by then really."

Annabelle played with her hands, poking her fingers at the other set while she watched with her eyes. She didn't know what else to say, he was a little antisocial it seemed, meeting most of her outbursts with a subtle nod or vocal indication. Over and over she'd thanked him, but, she felt like maybe she'd gotten a little carried away. What was she to do though, she was amazed by the work he'd done in so little time.

"Maybe if I'm not too busy, I mean, I could always help, not that you don't know what you're doing- oh, or that you need it, I mean." She stuttered, metaphorically falling on her face with her social skills. Normally bubbly and sweet, she found herself becoming tongue twisted over the handsome fellow.

She laughed, stopping the motion of her hands. Maybe with time she'd find a way to talk to him without becoming so flustered. It wasn't like her at all!

"I'll see you around then, Kohana."

• Love

Kohana chuckled, waved her off, and said goodbye.

The wind was still rustling something fierce as he made his way out of the small cabin. He clicked his tongue, summoning the brick red stallion to his side, and he mounted his companion without question. Giving one last glance to the window he had just polished hours before, he grinned the smallest bit and urged the horse forward.

She was certainly a thing to behold, this Annabelle Richards. Kohana found himself thinking about her even as he sat by the fire of his home, kicked off his boots and settled after a hard day's work. Her dorky smile crept up on him when he thought he was free, and no matter of planning for the day ahead or drinking from his glass mug would drown the effect she'd left within.

Kohana muttered an "oof!" as a small grey animal crawled up into his lap.

"Don't be so sudden," he told the cat as she curled up on his thighs, purring like thunder. "You're terribly sneaky. I could have spilled this on you."

Meow, came a reply, and Kitty nudged his arm, begging for attention. Kohana reluctantly set down his drink to bring the animal close to his chest and scratch behind her ears, the way she liked so much.

"Maybe I'll see Annabelle at the Fireworks Festival this weekend," he mused aloud. I should like to.

Meow?

"Mhm."

The cat curled up on his chest as he fell asleep to the sound of her purrs.​

• Love

Annabelle had never risen with the sun before. The rays hit the window just right, after being filtered through the tall trees in the yard, it was just enough to rouse her. Golden light in the morning, she'd seen it a few times on camping trips before, but it didn't feel as relaxing as it did the first day in her new life. She got up, found the bathroom downstairs to be a cozy size, hiding beneath the stairs. There was a shower, and she helped herself, practically walking around her new house in the nude.

She should've felt a little more shame in the act, but it was her home. Kohana fixed it with his own two hands, and while he might not have known that she would be the girl to take up the occupancy, it was a generous act beyond repayment. So, she'd treat it as home, and that was that.

Cool water trailed down her skin. In the heat of the Summer months it was a welcome sensation against her skin. As she stood there beneath the shower, she found herself musing over what she was supposed to be doing. No one had exactly told her she needed to get to work, but she planned on being around the inn as early as she could. That way no one could accuse her of being late, not that they would.

Maybe if there was time she'd get to see Kohana again. She'd like that. They hadn't had a whole lot of time to spend talking, he was a busy man, and she nothing more than a stranger. Still, one more chat couldn't hurt.

Not really.

Annabelle dried herself off, letting her mind wander from the inn and back to Kohana, and how he'd really repaired a home so quickly. She was out the door on her bike, that too he'd fixed for her. Already in the tiny new town there was one name she could get used to.

"Mommy! Mommy, look!"

Koyo looked up from the flowers she was arranging to see a small woman on a small bike begin to pass down their road. It didn't take long for her to be recognized, and while the twins giggled and shouted, Koyo ran to flag her down.

"Anna!" She shouted, waving her hands in the air like some sort of maniac. "Annabelle! Come here, Annabelle!"

She wondered briefly if the woman would even stop, considering Koyo was flailing like a madwoman, trying to summon her as if needs require her for a life and death matter, but all Mrs. Ukita wanted was a few words and perhaps a spot of breakfast. Her children followed suit, waving and laughing, trying to get the newcomer's attention.

"Miss Annie!"​

"Huh?" Annabelle turned her head awkwardly to see the little family trying to wave her down. She pulled hard on the hand breaks, stopping not so gracefully on the dirt road. After regaining her balance, she stumbled off her bike like a newborn calf. Her legs wobbled on the ground and her bike fell. So much for a nice stop.

She pulled up her bike and turned around. Two little boys ran out to meet her, tugging on her sleeves affectionately even though they'd never met in their life. Annabelle surprised them by announcing their names, Shino and Toshio, and their eyes got wide. "She knows your name Toshi!" "I know, mooooom!" Then they scrambled back to the cover of their mother's embrace.

"Mornin' Koyo!" Annabelle greeted her cheerfully, despite her confusion. "Did ya need somethin' from me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.