A Needle in a Haystack (DayDreamer x Ritual Lobotomy)

Ritual Lobotomy

Hail the Apocalypse
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
17:00 - 20:00 +2GMT
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Post-apocalyptic, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Real Life, Comedy, Mistery and Horror
YADON MAEGYR

Koujaku.full.2739466.jpgLOCATION: New King's Landing Open Market
TIME: Late morning (Pre-event)
INTERACTIONS: @DayDreamer - Visenya Mormont

It was unlike the First Sword of Braavos to venture into the unknown if he could’ve helped it. Besides, now that he had arrived, he had seen that it would have been a real shame not to devote some time to roam the streets of New King’s Landing before all the business took his time away. That wasn’t to say that the city he found himself in was satisfying in any aesthetically pleasing way. On the contrary, unlike Braavos and every other bigger city of Essos really, New King’s Landing was dark and cold with only things that seemed necessary to survive. But it was a city nevertheless and an active one at that. It followed the road of effectiveness rather than beauty, and it wasn’t necessarily a wrong choice.

In between talking to the commoners and exploring, Yadon found himself enjoying his little business trip somewhat more than expected. It had its charm. So much so that his followers were unnecessary to keep him company. The best of the best, young men were honored to accompany their master on a long journey west. But as much as that honor carried them, they understood that the man merely wanted company. Once the Tiger of Volantis required to venture alone, they did nothing to oppose nor protest.

Central Market was busy since the early morning hours, filled with all sorts, crowded and loud although he didn’t seem to mind. After all, he still managed to grab a pack of freshly baked variety of bagels he now enjoyed while eyeing various goods spread out across the tables. While Essos proud itself on many fronts, including the food, Yadon liked said bagels more than the Essosi sorts.

Vibrant clothes fluttered as he made his way down the square, barely bothered to pay any mind to the prying eyes of the people surrounding him. He was aware of the vision he brought along when he stepped among the grey, dull crowd. To Westerosi, both noble and common, Yadon was a walking contradiction as their minds seemed not to comprehend or think past the limited perception of their continent. The bright colors and diverse materials presented a person of status higher than that of a commoner. Various accessories were that of a person with a taste for something unique and valuable. But his tattoos and his indigo-tinted hair were a sore sight, it seemed, for all the beauty his clothing represented.

It had subsided in the following days of his dwelling in the New King’s Landing, however. The very first one or two days had to be the most entertaining ones. While the majority kept their comments and opinions for themselves, a handful would allow them to escape a bit louder. Of course, always safely hidden or able to flee. The two of his Swords had a busy time taking all the insults personally, and when the ignorance reached the point where they labeled the First Sword a queer courtesan, blades were drawn, creating quite frankly a whole lot of mess out of nothing. Perhaps it was among all of the reasons that the Braavosi chose to walk alone.

Somewhere along the way, the offers turned from foods and drinks to daily items, and then into a more interesting bunch. Grunts and throaty laughter of men replaced vibrant voices when he entered a row of diverse military equipment. Here, comments dropped his way were louder and more aggressive, but with an ever-growing number of guards around the area, none did anything more but comment or laugh at someone else’s brazen thought. However, Ignoring helped a lot as they soon returned to their own business, unamused by the lack of reaction.

The area smelled strongly of metal and horses, and while there were plenty of offerers, there was a table in particular that caught his eye. The man seemed to be a crafter of his own, adding in his metalwork with all the other commonly found things he was selling. The blades were neatly arranged on the top. For once, he was generously invited to approach when the man became aware of his interest.

While he preferred thin blades, Yadon examined the heavy ones with the same enthusiasm that the man seemed to be liking. He praised the quality of some, which further encouraged the seller. The man followed Braavosi down the long table of goods and halted when Yadon stopped himself in front of a very diverse offer of daggers. Meticulously, but with respect, he took each he was interested in, examining the craftsmanship, the weight, shape, and other crucial parameters for a quality weapon.

Yadon remained fixated on one particular dagger of a thin, polished blade when a presence next to him caught his eye. At first, he had noticed their sword. A simple, heavy blade. Nothing impressive but fit for a job it was meant to do. Then he noted that the rest of the person certainly did not seem to be fitting the blade. Woman’s stance and attitude as she browsed the armors alluded to more than a commoner or a mercenary. A single golden ring on her hand hardly resembled anything a commoner could own. And, in the end, as much as he paid it no mind, the fact that she was a woman in a place severely dominated by males was hopelessly intriguing to the First Sword.

While he was keeping to himself at a respectful distance, he glanced back down once more at the woman’s blade before turning his attention back to the dagger.

“If you do not mind me saying, that sword of yours seems like it could use a bit more balancing.” It was a casual, unobliging suggestion that he felt would have been a decently respectful conversation starter. “Of course, it is not my place to pry. It is merely a friendly suggestion,” he smirked, flipping the needle-like dagger in between his fingers. It was an excellent piece.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Nemopedia
9f044dc5c0ab82442aab3d8bb758c5b9.jpg
King's Landing had its ups and downs, but for Visenya, who had spend so long on Dragonstone, it was a nice change of pace. Sure she had a lot of things to worry about as the day of the throne talks was only two sunrises ahead, but for now she decided it was best to just focus on things that mattered to her personally. While not announced, it was no secret that she wanted to head north as soon as a King or Queen was established. However such an expedition would require careful planning and even better equipment.

So she and Vidar had simply, slipped away the moment her cousin had decided to pay a visit to his sister prior to the Banquet that was to officially welcome all potential rulers the next evening. They had opted for their more discrete attires. It was not uncommon to see Free Folk roaming the streets of New King's Landing and Visenya could have posed as one of the female warriors to the unsuspecting eye. The only telltale signs of her status were the quality of her gear and the golden ring of a bear head holding a ruby in its maw on a circle of flames.

While Vidar had been off to see what New King's landing had to offer in terms of horses, mules and asses of the four legged kind ~She really hoped he wouldn't focus on sampling the more attractive two-legged ones before his job was done~ she was browsing through steel. Swords, axes, daggers, armor. That particular last item she was still pondering on. Armor would slow them down but it would also protect them if whatever had killed her father could wield a weapon.

She had been listening to the armorer's explanation on his production capacity when someone decided to comment on her sword. “If you do not mind me saying, that sword of yours seems like it could use a bit more balancing.” Cocking an eyebrow, she turned to see the man that was bold enough to comment on her choice of weapons. She was curious to see who had the nerve to do so when she was the only woman on a street of very rowdy men, conversing with one of the armorers in a very serious and equal standing. The shadow of a challenging smirk played on her face as she turned fully to the man, making a point to eye him from head to toe, taking her time. "And what would make you think that pray tell?" She questioned the man as she finished her assessment of him and found him adequately intriguing and worth the banter. It wasn't every day one could come across an Essosi Noble and especially one as daring as he.

His dagger play had not escaped her. It was evident that the man knew his blades well, but the sword on his side was long and narrow. Too narrow for Westeros' standards. She nodded suggestively towards his blade. "Size doesn't affect balance as long as the proportions are right."

------------
OOC: The photo is exactly what Visenya looks like rn.

YADON MAEGYR

A woman with pride, she was. Or at least that’s what her immediate reaction was telling him. As if he prodded her, she turned to him in a challenging manner, observing him. "And what would make you think that pray tell?" She engaged as she focused her gaze back on his face. With it, he did her due diligence by fully turning towards her to acknowledge his will to engage in a conversation he had instigated entirely. Yadon did not hurry to respond, standing patiently and playing with the blade in his hand for a little while. As expected, she hadn’t stayed in debt to him as she quickly pointed out the apparent difference between the two, hanging down his side.

"Size doesn't affect balance as long as the proportions are right,"
she argued, and Braavosi nodded with a slight smirk. “Quite right,” he reckoned, slipping the needle-like blade between his fingers and flipping the dagger until its handle rested comfortably in his palm. “For a sword that is never in use, that is. Now those never get out of balance. But. I would argue that those are a waste of time in the first place.”

Weighing out the dagger a bit more, he finally passed it back to the seller with a confirming nod, and the man understood. It was a good deal for an item that would have been hard to sell otherwise.

“Its blade is too heavy when it pulls the end of its scabbard like yours,” Yadon concluded calmly. Granted, it was not much of a tragedy as much as a personal dislike for grandiose heavy blades of which Westerosi seemed to be highly appreciative. “But if I am to be completely honest,” he proceeded, looking around him briefly. “I have not seen a decent one since I’ve arrived, and my input seems to be a generalized one.”

The woman’s suggestive gaze towards his sword did not escape him, and he would certainly not have missed an opportunity to parry the thought. “It is about speed. Dictating the battle tempo. The one you are comfortable with,” Yadon proceeded, patting the sheath of his prized possession proudly. “Certainly, you could hack and cut your way through a first few, but it is a tiring sort of blade. The longer it lasts, the more the other party leads the dance. So to speak,” he jested with a chuckle.

“I find them more tiring than useful, personally. But in the end, it is all about preference. I am quite surprised by yours, but I am also intrigued. What drove you to take to the blade in the first place?” His question emerged from genuine curiosity as he accepted the weapon he had purchased in exchange for coins and a dismissive hand gesture when the seller offered him a change back. “I am inclined to say that your status did not force you to do so,” he alluded to the golden ring. The only obvious thing of vanity that he managed to notice. “And you are certainly not a blade for hire so,” he paused briefly to assess his question. “Why all the effort?”

Unlike the stories he had heard of Westeros, in recent times, there were quite a few ladies of the highest grade that seemed to be taking up on blades rather than needles and threads, and he was yet to decide whether it was a positive or a negative occurrence in their books. Either way, he was rather excited that was the case. He was also rather proud that he participated in it himself with some more than promising Westerosi females. It would have been a brazen lie to say he wasn’t looking forward to seeing whether their abilities remained strong.

• Useful
She allowed him to finish his thoughts and reasoning while observing him with a polite, yet confident smile. He had a point that she was willing to accept but he spoke out of what he knew. Water dancing was a deadly art, but it could do very little against a fully armored knight. Swords of any kind were only rarely ever able to pierce through plate armor or a shield, but heavier blades could do more blunt damage compared to thinner ones. Then again how much the blade pointed towards the ground depended heavily on the type of scabbard and belt one used.

His opinion on westerosi blades was not received well by the craftsmen that were within earshot and were paying some degree of attention to their little banter, yet as Visenya looked around, her icy blue gaze piercing the more vocal ones, the commotion died down fairly quickly. Yet another indication that She-Bear's fame had not faded in King's Landing and her reputation had proceeded her.

The smile in her face on grew as he questioned her motives on choosing the sword over the needle. It was amusing to her seeing how one of her ancestors used Needle to kill instead of make clothes. "There are many warriors within my bloodlines and some have used Needles in their Dance." She said with just a hint of mischievousness in her tone. Arya Stark had quickly become the stuff of legends that inspired young girls like Visenya had once been.

"Defending one's own self and people, having the strength to effectively stand up for your beliefs, disciplining one's self." She listed off calmly. "If those are not worth the effort then nothing is." She replied to his question about her choice to learn how to wield the sword. One could argue that having to lead a mix of stubborn Northerners and Free Folk during a rather difficult time for Westeros as well as the fact that in the absence of a male heir, Eric Mormont had chosen to teach his firstborn all that she would need to become the Lady of Bear Island, did not leave her with much of a choice on the matter. However that was not entirely true as Visenya could have chosen to give up on her training a long time ago and instead she had kept practicing diligently. Even going as far as joining drills with her soldiers, making sure that their shield tactics and coordination was that of one body.

"However, I would avoid saying that Westeros lacks balanced blades simply because they are heavier. And that is not because you are currently surrounded by some of the best smiths in Westeros and they might do more than just voice their discontent." She smiled knowingly and locked her arms over her chest. "Water Dancing works well for the warm weather and softer armors of Essos. Put your thinner blade against a fully armored knight or a shield bearer and you will find that heavier blades can do more damage with the same amount of effort." Her point was clear. Always have the right tool for the right job. She was fairly sure that his comments were coming from that angle and not because of the notion that ladies should have smaller if no swords at all on their side. But if that was the case, Visenya did not feel the need to prove him wrong by going on the offensive. Yet she would never say no to the chance of some interesting sparring either.

Water Dancing was something she had never experienced before and she was intrigued. Kaylee had told her stories and Arya Stark was one of the more inspiring figures from her childhood. She was intrigued.
------------
OOC: The photo is exactly what Visenya looks like rn.

YADON MAEGYR

The reaction of nearby men did not escape him. Neither did a couple of juicy words he had assumed were swears he hadn't heard before. Most likely, considering the man spat to the ground as soon as he was at a distance, where he mentally felt comfortable doing so. Typical. It was lovely to see that Essos and Westeros were not so different after all.

"There are many warriors within my bloodlines, and some have used Needles in their Dance." It was clear that the woman took great pride in such claim, and a pleased smirk surfaced on Yadon's face, approving. "So I've assumed. The North runs strong in your blood. It is respectable to hear you appreciate the heritage of water dancing in your line as well. Given the blade of your choosing," he spoke of it genuinely. Out of all abilities he had possessed, the Dance had to be the one he truly enjoyed for more than its efficiency.

The man listened with great interest as the northern laid out her motives for taking the blade, and he nodded with understanding. "Quite so," he approved. "However, I would avoid saying that Westeros lacks balanced blades simply because they are heavier," she added, and Yadon smirked with an inquisitive "Oh?" encouraging her to proceed. He was genuinely starving for a healthy discussion about blades for the longest time, and he eagerly accepted the topic she served.

He looked around himself curiously once the fair-haired woman brought up the fact that weaponsmiths present may not take kindly to his words. A shame, he thought. No matter the expertise, words were what sold the crafter and the craft in the end. He was a peaceful envoy, but they were bitterly mistaking if they believed they could win by force. And there it was. It was a small, heavily constricted desire within him that taunted them to try, the very one the Dance placed under control.

"Water Dancing works well for the warm weather and softer armors of Essos. Put your thinner blade against a fully armored knight or a shield-bearer, and you will find that heavier blades can do more damage with the same amount of effort." Once more, he listened to it through and nodded respectfully.

"I appreciate the sentiment, and as far as the force goes, I agree. However, I believe you are a bit unfair," he jested mildly. He took no real offense before, nor did he seem to be taking one now. "I have to politely argue that the whole purpose of the water dancing isn't to dominate forcefully but to outsmart. I firmly believe that my sword would be able to perform neck to neck with yours, just with a slightly different approach. Even against a fully-armored fighter," Yadon smirked confidently. "Where a heavier blade needs force and a space to move in, a needle needs its speed and only a one-step radius around the opponent to parry." On instinct, he tapped the top of his sheathed blade.

"Surely, a longsword's brute force is admiring, and I am sure there are plenty of masterfully crafted blades in this place alone, but how they achieve the advantage seems a bit... unnecessarily tedious. With all due respect to your argument, I believe an excellent water dancer is just as useful as a warrior or a knight," he chuckled, falling silent to think for a bit. Undoubtedly, he was intrigued by the woman standing in front of him. She surely knew what she was talking about and was just as ready to stand by her argument - a welcoming change.

"Now," he began once again. "Forgive me if this comes off as highly inappropriate or perhaps brazen, but you would indeed do me a great honor if you would present some of your skills to me," he laid his right hand over his chest in the process, accenting the respect behind his request. "That is if you have some time to waste on a simple blade enthusiast that is having a very dull day so far."

• Useful
It had been a while since she had a civil conversation with a man about weapons and tactics without having her sex being mentioned into some capacity or another. It was refreshing and she felt like indulging on the sentiment a bit more before she would have to return to the inn. His arguments were good and she didn't necessarily have to disagree with him, but one had to be a master swordsman, or in this case at the level of the First Sword of Braavos, to be able to target the weak points of a knight's armor when a battle was in full swing and win.

She had no doubt that the Essosi was wealthy enough to not have to worry about his finances and was able to devote a lot of his time in practising his Dance, but he didn't strike her as the First Sword. Then again, she was not a master either as her Master of Arms likes to remind her every once in a while when they get to spar and she would discover new weaknesses that others had not managed to point at.

"Surely, a longsword's brute force is admiring, and I am sure there are plenty of masterfully crafted blades in this place alone, but how they achieve the advantage seems a bit... unnecessarily tedious. With all due respect to your argument, I believe an excellent water dancer is just as useful as a warrior or a knight," Visenya found it interesting that her words were misinterpreted as if she was diminishing the effectiveness of Water Dancers below that of a simple soldier. She seemed to have struck a nerve there, despite the man keeping the conversation calm and civil. The effectiveness of a warrior depended a lot on context. You could have been the bloody best swordsman, but without Valyrian Steel or Dragonglass, you would have died in a matter of minutes or seconds against a White Walker. "None is arguing the opposite is true." She assured him as he paused in thought.

"Now, forgive me if this comes off as highly inappropriate or perhaps brazen, but you would indeed do me a great honor if you would present some of your skills to me," Ah there it was. She was wondering when he would ask to 'see' her qualifications on the subject at hand. "That is if you have some time to waste on a simple blade enthusiast that is having a very dull day so far." He was definitely respectful about it. More respectful than any other who had ever asked or warranted she used her blade against them. She was amused and she definitely had time. "A battle of wits over brawns?" She teased as she turned to the smith with whom she was doing business with not so long ago.

"Very well. This is a good opportunity to put your shields to the test Master Roland. Regardless of the outcome, I will pay for this shield. However, success will determine if I will acquire more shields from you in the future." She said to the smith as she looked at him expectantly. The man squared up in pride. "Don't you worry Lady Mormont. There is no way such a thin little skewer can put a dent in my shields." He assured her with a defiant huff at the Essosi's way as he went to pick up a plain heater shield, causing a surprised smile to appear on Visenya's face as she had a look at the strap configuration at its back. "I see you've done your fair share of shield fighting Master Roland." She nodded approvingly and the man bowed his head in honored respect.

"Well then. Shall we dance?" She turned to look at the Essosi man, who she had still not acquired a name from. But it was alright. She had not introduced herself properly either, though with the smith addressing her as Lady Mormont, he was bound to know at least of her House. She made her way over to a clearing that was meant for clients to test the goods before purchasing them, if so desired, and with her, so did many more meant, merchants and buyers alike. The chance to see the She-Bear fight had spread like wildfire and the excitement was getting them quite a crowd.
------------
OOC: I forgot it was my turn here XD. Feel free to have him notice that instead of holding the shield with her arm parallel or at an upwards angle to the ground, as we see in most movies, she is holding the shield with her hand facing towards the ground as if she was carrying a bag.

YADON MAEGYR

The First Sword was in no rush that morning. He allowed for all the time the merchant and the woman needed to arrange the deal. Yadon did not reasonably respond to the merchant's playful provocation on account of his thin-bladed sword in the way that the man may have expected. Westeros' pride games were genuinely fascinating.

Instead, the man reacted with a smirk and a slight bow of his head - all in good spirits. There was no doubt about the fact. Shields were art on their own, very useful in many situations. However, the idea was to look at the shield as little as possible - a challenge, no doubt, but the one that intrigued him.

He very much so appreciated her using the term 'dance' rather than 'fight'. Rarely accurate way of defining it. They weren't barbarians. Even her stance and the way she gripped her shield spoke in favor of the thesis.

"It would be an honor," he complimented. "After you, lady Mormont," Yadon gestured politely, allowing her to lead the way as he followed a respectful few steps behind. He was neither appreciated nor favored by the crowd gathered almost immediately, dropping their business for the show. He made his way to the opposite side calmly, almost as if he was in preparation to meditate.

The crowd was growing impatient with a brief delay, and he allowed them to shout and swear without it having any effect on him. Eyes briefly closed, and his mind cleared. In a moment, they all became a background noise; no more distracting than a birdsong on a sunny morning.

The stage was set, and only then did the First sword reach out and unsheathed his thin blade, holding it upwards behind his back, his stance poised. For what seemed for the longest of time, Yadon stood calmly and stared at his opponent with an unreadable expression.

At the surprise of those present, the First Sword rushed straight towards the woman without any previous warning, his blade still snuggly against his back. The crowd cheered, albeit confused with the tactics of chest first towards the thick sword and shield made by their trusted crafters.

• Ah Seen It