~ A N A R C H Y ~

{KARSEUN GEBURICH}

"They say that men are natural killers... that they are born with violence in their blood... that instinct compels them to stab and slice and gut their victims in through peace and war."

The Queen had been dressed and polished, her makeup reapplied, her hair combed back, her corset tightened. She was a sculpture of ice as she sat upright in the corner of her drawing room. The redness of tears had not escaped her eyes, but all else was frozen. She was the zenith of Eliydar - an embodiement of its conservative austerity. Her dress was simple black and her hair was the colour of killing snow.

"But what do men truly know of murder?" she sneered. "It is the part of a woman to nurture life and broker death. Each woman, at one point in her life, must decide whether to carry a child in her womb or snuff it out. We are the true destroyers. We know what we are killing... how precious the life is that we tear asunder."

Geburich stood by the castle window, looking out across the mountains. Below the tower the city of Aisak had received another blanket of snow. From a thousand homes and smitheys came winding smoke. A thousand black icicles, piercing the winter sky. He remembered teaching Lok how to tend a fire - the use of tinder and kindling, and which trees to favour when gathering firewood.

"My husband is soft," The Queen lifted her teacup, her little finger extended and perfectly frozen. She took no pleasure in the tea. She drunk it mechanically, the motion like a piece of theatre to complete the ensemble of her denial. "The people think him the alpha stag of Gelu-kind." She gave a sniff of amusement. "But the House of Aisak would have fallen long ago were it not for my kind... the women who instructed where the axe should fall."

Geburich leant against his staff and took a sly glance around the chamber. There were still some books on the floor and glass in the carpet. The servants had not quite erased all trace of the Queen's frenzy. Like her eyes, the clues of her mourning remained. A half-inch of powder covered the woman's face, paling the flush of heartache.

"You loved my children for their softer sides. That's why the King favoured you... because you made them more like him... less like me. I hated you for that. I hated you for sapping that strength which I had brought to this house. You made my children weak... delicate... warm-hearted in a land of ice."

She put the tea aside and rested one wrinkled hand atop the other, her poise immaculate. She was staring at the far wall, as if posing for a painting. For as long as Geburich had known her, she had made herself a bastion against all emotion. "And now they are dead! And we have seen the fate of softened hearts. Without strength... without cruelty... without a woman's courage to murder... kingdoms will fall."

She turned at last to regard the wizard. It was a stare unyielding and disdainful that she gave to Geburich. "So mark my words, you old fool: though my husband may speak of truth and closure, there is one cause alone for which I give blessing to your mission. Revenge. When you find who did this to my children, I expect you to kill them... so they may know in their final moment that no ocean nor mountain may stay a woman's wrath. That not even gods may deny a Queen's revenge."

The theatrics were over. The speech had been delivered. Geburich turned from the window and crossed the room, coming to stand in front of her. He kept both hands on his staff, almost reaching out to her, to touch her hand. But he knew this was not permitted. So instead he simply looked down... at the woman he had sparred with for a decade. And he spoke her name.

"Evelda. I'm sorry."

The Queen's eyes closed. She would not let him see. She would not permit anyone to see. A Queen could not afford such luxuries. Her body remained like ice, damming waves of grief. There was nothing more he could say.

He turned and left the room.

"Well, my friend. This is where we part our ways." The Royal Minister handed Geburich his travel pack, freshly stuffed with rations, clothing and arcana. It had been specially prepared by the royal quartmaster - a robust and finely woven satchel of Eliydar leather. "The King will hold war cabinet in seven days. Dark times lie ahead for the three nations if your search is fruitless."

Geburich grunted as he finish buckling his cloak. The slats of the pier creaked beneath his weight, and as night drew in the ice was already forming on the water beyond.

"I 'ope ya sink and drown, old man!" added the Acluv messenger, who stood beside the minister. The dwarf had a wry smile beneath his ginger beard.

"I'm glad to rid myself of your company!" Geburich spat back. There was a fondness there... somewhere.

The shadow of the Desdemona loomed over the three of them, its silhouette against the winter moon. Around them the royal docks were decked with lanterns that mirrored the glint of starlight. It reminded Geburich of a funeral procession. And the ship itself was dark and hollow like a coffin. There was only a skeleton crew on the night shift, while the other passengers slept safely below. The sails were idle. There was barely a hint of wind this night.

He remembered teaching Ura how to catch the breeze in a sailboat.

The Queen was right. Geburich had seen the fate of softened hearts. His own had been thawed and unknotted by those children, and now it ached for their passing. He resented them for that. He resented all of Eliydar... for making him care.

"Just try not to destroy the world before I return!" he snarled at the two servants, before turning to shuffle up the ganplank into the waiting shadows of the Desdemona.

{ SUMMARY }
The Queen of Eliydar, in mourning for her children, informs Geburich that he is expected to kill whoever is behind the murders. He is to be not just an investigator, but also an assassin. Unable to deny his grudging affection for the royal family, the old wizard accepts his fate and boards the Desdemona that night.

Ario Solinus

Ario approached the port finally, he saw the tall masts of the ships, traders, galleys, and mighty warships were tied to the docks. There was one though, which was unmistakable for the ship, the Desdemona. A smile curled onto his lips as he quickened his pace, and walked through the docs. Looking at some of the people around, he saw a variety of people. Mercenaries, smugglers, harlots, bards, and merchants. Few were like him though, in appearance or reasoning. They were out for themselves, and was disgusted by it. In his mind, it was fine to look out for yourself, but he felt wasted unless he was out, living for a cause, this cause being Shear.

He approached the man outside the gangplank of the gigantic ship, who was to allow people onto the ship. Putting on a smile and his regal swagger, "I would like to gain passage on this ship, you see, I wish to find out what happened to the diplomats, and bring the perpetrator back here for..." an evil smile spread across his face, "Justice." he finished.

The man at the desk looked up at him, "As you wish..." He looked up with quill in hand.

Ario smiled, "Solinus, Ario Solinus."

The man nodded, scrawling out the name, "Good luck..." he said, and Ario nodded, walking up the gangplank onto the ship.

.:Ida Kyyle:.

Ida stared around. So many people. They were here, there, everywhere. Many crowded the docks and nearby inns. People yelling to and at each other, calling for someones attention or trying to sell an item. Everyone was pushing and shoving. Twice, Ida spotted a brawl. The Shear sea smelled fresh, better then the old, compressed air of the castle. She turned her attention to the ships, staring at the names of each. She looked at the tiny kitten in her arms. "Can you read?" She whispered. Pad only mewed and batted at her ear.

"It's just ahead!" The Enser lord yelled back to her. He grinned and pointed towards a large and beautiful ship, far better then many of the other ships docked. Ida stared at it a moment, then looked at her Master. He laughed at the shock on her face. "C'mon, Ida. I have no idea when in leaves dock, and I don't want to lose her!" He tugged gently on the leash around her waist.

Ida looked at the leash and grinned. At first, she had refused to wear the thing. But so far, it had come in handy. She hadn't gotten lost, though she would have without it. She quickly caught up to her Master. Lord, Master, make up your mind, Ida! She laughed. He didn't act like either, her lord. He was always smiling, and helping someone, or joking, or just doing something kind. He had even given money to a young beggar. Of course, she thought that it was really strange, but she never said anything.

They approached the Desdemona. Her lord (she just realized she didn't know his name) boarded the ship without anyone stopping him, and Ida right behind. They were shown to a medium sized room, prepared for them. Ida looked around and sighed. "My lord, this is all great, but... will there be work?"

Her Master raised an eyebrow. "I'm sure they would let you work, up there. But I can't be sure."

Ida nodded and set down Pad.

Ario Solinus

Ario, now aboard the ship, tilted his chin to the left and the right until his neck cracked. He felt like exploring about the ship, in order to better understand his surroundings. He had good reason for this, he had no idea the size of the ship, or how much it could hold. It could hold what felt like countless people. Striding down the hallways, he tried to commit them all to memory. Amongst the people working amongst the staff, it was very diverse culturally, every nation was represented there. Not that that overly mattered, it was just intrigueing that they were all working together for a greater purpose. It warmed his heart, in an odd sort of way.

Ario shook it off, continuing to walk the ship, it's size was truly amazing, as well as beautifully designed and decorated. Ario rubbed his eyes and yawned a bit, the ship may be beautiful, but until the investigation started, it would be dreadfully boring. A frown slowly came across his face in more irritation at the fact than anything.

{Aveline Archcloak}

Humming the song over and over helped to occupy her time. It was when she felt the presence of another person did she lower her voice. They were a little ways away from the village. Maybe at the graveyard. Curiosity got the better of the little Gelu girl, and she stood up from the stump and proceeded down the path of the village and back to the graveyard.

And there she was. A person paying their respects to the dead that lay underneath the earth here. It was a surprise for Aveline to see someone doing that, but a soft and warm smile grew across her face. She was no longer humming her tune as she was captivated by the mere presence of this other being. It filled her with joy that she seemed so kind.

Seeing the young woman turn around, Aveline made herself scarce and bolted for the village again. Even though this was what she wished for, to have some company here in her village, she couldn't find it in her to reveal herself just yet. It had been so long since the last time she has made any contact with another person, and she was nervous.

Aveline followed the woman at a distance, making sure to stay hidden whenever she happened to look her way. Time seemed to fly by and the stars were already coming out. Night time was Aveline's favorite time of the day. It calmed her and she loved the beauty of the stars and the moon shining brightly above her.

She decided to take a chance and move closer to the stranger. In the morning she would most likely be gone and leave Aveline all alone in the village again without fulfilling her social needs. Ever so slowly, Aveline moved closer to the woman as she was in her bed roll, a part of her hoping she would notice her there and another hoping the opposite.

The moment Pads little paws touched the floor, he darted through the door and down the hall. Ida cried put and darted after her. Her Enser lord laughed and didn't call her back, and Ida was grateful. She ran past a few people, and even ran under two. One of then didn't notice her because of her small size. She came to the part of the hall. "Gods damn it all!"She hissed. Flapping her wings as fast as a dragonflies in agitation, she doubled back.
Pad ran down one hall and up another, sometimes even going onto the deck. He tripped a few people, wound around peoples ankles, bothered a few of the sailors, until he found someone he liked. Without warning, he leapt onto Ario Solinus's shoulder and rubbed against his neck, purring.

Ario was walking along, letting his thoughts consume him, at least, until he heard the commotion of a small girl sprinting throughout the halls, chasing after a cat. He blinked rapidly as the commotion grew closer to him, but Ario paid it no mind as he walked the halls and minded his own business. That is, until the small cat bounded down the hall, and jumped onto his shoulder. Ario jumped slightly and looked at his furry assailant. For several seconds he looked at it before smiling, petting the cat from head to tail. "Hey there little one, are you lost?" he said, smiling at the furry feline. "Where's your owner?" he asked, not unkindly.

"Honey." A voice hissed, interrupting the darkness. Silence returned for several seconds.

"Honey!" Now this was getting irksome. Better turn over; maybe it will go away.

"Honey!!" <o:p></o:p>

What?? She wanted to scream as she jerked into a sitting position to glare at the man towering over her pallet. Srin was a slave just the same as Cheemlen, but Vamshac favored the man more than anyone else that served him. He was Tarnen, he was very bright, and he was loyal to Vamshac as a son to a father. That made him less of a slave and more of a beloved servant in terms of status. His hardest jobs were probably going far away to deliver messages.

Cheemlen grimaced and waved her dirty hands up and down, looking expectant.

"Lord Vamshac has called for you," Srin informed her. His blank face said he was attempting to be kind and patient.

But he had to grimace when she smacked her hands against her cheeks and trailed them down her face, smearing the topmost layer of dirt on her skin and revealing the red membranes under her eyes. Her lips curled back in a bizarre, toothy frown. Something green was stuck between her left canine and first molar. She was so filthy that he had to hold his hand in front of his nose to be this close to her.
<o:p></o:p>

"Get up. I don't care if it is early, it is important!"

Golden eyes glared at him contemptuously, but still she rose to her feet and walked past him like a quick breeze. A quick, foul breeze. He followed her slowly to avoid being in her company.

It was still the dark of the morning, requiring her to make her eyes round just to see where she was going. The main house was a five-minute walk away from the slave quarters, giving her time to tame the ill-tempered fire that had started when Srin, that vile flea, pestered her awake.

Lord Vamshac stood in the greeting hall, the small covered courtyard with a shining black floor. His eyes drooped heavily and his stature was hunkered over, a vast change from his normal iron-spined posture and bright eyes.

Cheemlen halted several feet away and bowed to announce herself. Vamshac nodded to acknowledge her and sighed.

"The massacre of the heirs from every country has given us both grief and an opportunity…" he began, tugging on his long beard, "Shear needs a war to redeem ourselves; Argentum and Eliydar have underestimated us all. We are like a tired old dog in their eyes. That will change if we can initiate that war."

The man began to pace slowly, hands clasped behind his back and eyes stuck to the floor. <o:p></o:p>

"The mysterious disappearance of the heirs will be investigated by individuals from Argentum, Eliydar, and Shear alike. They will board a ship. No details have been given to me," he growled, "other than that."

The crease in her brow urged him to continue. <o:p></o:p>

"I have been asked to send one representative to that ship to collect information and plant seeds of discord among the countries so that they will have no allies. We will have that war if we have to spark it ourselves. Our message will be sent." <o:p></o:p>

Where was this going? Cheemlen gave a short, slow nod. It didn't seem to be going anywhere good.

"I need my men here; they will continue to train. I could have sent one of them, but most of them are, unfortunately, expendable due to their dimness. Being strong has made them rash and dumb," Vamshac turned to her and continued, "Srin was my next choice. His mind surpasses that of any of my men, and I believe he would succeed if I sent him on this journey. But he is more valuable to me if he is by my side, and hei s irreplaceable."

So? Why would you tell me this? Are you planning on sending me? Cheemlen's mouth tightened, predicting Vamshac's next words as they left his leaf-thin lips. <o:p></o:p>

"You are my next choice, Honey. You are one of the smarter slaves, and although you are talented and useful, your death would be less devastating than Srin's. I do not believe that you will die, however, which is another reason why I am sending you. You are tough. Had you been born a man, you would have been a warrior. Your being a woman, though, could work to our advantage. No one on that boat will expect a dirty mute Elek to be capable of much in the ways of conspiring." <o:p></o:p>

A wide grin spread across Vamshac's grizzly face. A fire was burning inside of Cheemlen, furious and spreading quickly. Her face itched to show her complete fury at his words but was made to stay unreadable with a huge amount of effort.<o:p></o:p>

"So you will go. Gather information, cause trouble, and let no one know your true reason for being there," Vamshac chuckled merrily, "Of course, you could not if you desired to, another reason to send you. When you return, Srin will translate your information into words and share it with me. You will live comfortably if you return successful, Honey." <o:p></o:p>

Vamshac nodded at her decisively. His mood had improved, apparently. But her own was so combustible at this point that she could not stop her fists from shaking at her sides. If she had words, she would have used many foul ones as Vamshac walked away.

But she had no words. There was nothing she could do or say as Srin thrust a tiny old bag into her hands and led her away. He led her in the direction opposite of the slave quarters, directly into Pallas.

"The ship will depart soon; you have no time for goodbyes," he rushed to explain. "Pick up your feet! If you miss the ship, you may as well not return, and you will never find another master such as Lord Vamshac." <o:p></o:p>

The fire in her belly blazed on. She twisted Srin's wrist when he tried to prod her into moving quickly, and he squawked. It was satisfying, but not enough to cool her head. <o:p></o:p>

It took two hours to walk into town, and ten minutes to locate the port and the ship called "Desdemona," a name that Cheemlen considered very strange. An Acluv opened his mouth to question their reason for being there, but Srin handed him a piece of parchment that the man glanced over before nodding.

"Go on, then," he muttered, covering his nose to save himself from Cheemlen's stench.

The only goodbye she received from Srin was, "Look in your satchel later. Show them your name, remember it's on the nape of your filthy neck. Take a gods-forsaken wash so they'll be able to see it."

She walked stiffly onto the ship, wary of the dark water below. Her eyes flicked here and there with suspicion and the anger boiled just under her skin.

Beneath the anger that blinded her, a small flake of hope existed to keep her sane. Perhaps this insensible duty could be the path that leads to her freedom. She grasped that flake of hope and held on with all her might.

The slave known as Honey is summoned by her master, a warlord, and informed that she will become a spy upon the ship Desdemona. She finds this news to be wretched and ridiculous, for she is a mute and a midwife, not a spy. She has no choice but to board the ship, though she plots to escape at an opportune time.

{Tattersail Bladesinger}

Tattersail had been slowly drifting to sleep when something, an errant thought mayhaps brought her mind back from the close feeling of merciful simple sleep. Unsure as to what brought her back to wakefulness she rolled her head first to the right, noting the area was safe, then she rolled her head to the left. Immediately tensing ever so slightly as her eyes came to rest upon the ghostly form of what appeared to be a young Gelu.
Realizing there was little danger now yet unsure what to do, Tattersail simply whispered
"Hello there little one, what are you doing here?"

[Ida Kyyle]

Pad purred and arched his back in pleasure. He butted Ario's hand to show him his favorite place to scratch, right behind his ears, and mewed cutely. Anyone could see that he loved attention, and is shameless when it comes to getting it.
Ida turned down the hall and almost crashed into Ario's legs (because of her short size), but she caught herself just in time. "Oh, uhh, sorry..." She trailed off when she saw Pad, and her wings stopped flapping and drooped. "... Pad, really?" She groaned. She didn't even bother trying to reach for Pad; Compared to a Tarnen, the smaller then normal Bower was nothing more then a fly. ...At least, thats what Ida believed. "Most people would apologize, but I really don't see a reason why." She said, almost carelessly. Like most Bower, she was quite bold, despite her small size.

Ario Solinus
Ario pet the cat where he wanted with a smile, he had always been interested in cats, they were so aloof. Then the owner rushed in and nearly bumped into him. A Bower? He thought, She's a slave... A wave of irritance washed over Ario, but he showed no sign of it. Slavery disgusted him, and he wished he met more people of Shear that thought the same way. He smiled at her kindly and picked up the cat by the belly and lowered it into her arms reach. "No need to apologize anyway. Cats are unpredictable." he said and laughed, "What's your name girl?" he asked, not unkindly, but it might make her nervous.

>Ida Kyyle<

She grinned, not at all nervous. "I'm Ida. Ida Kyyle. Though my former lord... Or Master, or whatever I should call him, said that I shouldn't have a last name. He called me the 'lowest scummer out there'." She mimicked a deep voice, then shrugged. "My new lord says that everyone needs a last name. So I chose Kyyle." She took Pad and hugged him. "And this is Pad. I can't figure out a last name for him, he doesn't seem like a Kyyle to me." Her wings fluttered softly, but she didn't seem to notice. Pad purred even louder and looked at Ida with loving eyes, then dug his claws into her arm. Ida grinned and started petting him. "I get it, I get it! I'm giving you pets, just stop trying to cut off my arm. You and I both know that if I don't you'll try to eat my ears or something." She flexed her fingers while petting him. Though her lord had given her a balm to heal the stings, they were still a little swollen and kinda itchy from the giant bees stings. She glanced up at Ario. "Whats your name?" She asked, clearly curious. Pad turned his gaze to Ario and mewed, asking his own question.

{Aveline Archcloak}

Aveline froze as soon as the young woman started looking around. She suddenly felt nervous and wanted to disappear. But she didn't move. Then the stranger turned her head towards her, and the young Gelu couldn't find it in her to do anything. It had been so long since she had last had contact with another person, and she had no idea what to do.

"I...I-I live... h-here..." She said nervously and softly, taking one small step back.

Ario smiled and bowed at the waist to the girl, "I am Ario." he said politely, "Ario Solinus. A pleasure to meet a pretty, young girl." Ario looked at the girl, she seemed to have a... Difficult past, but what slave didn't? "That was very impolite of your old master, everyone deserves a name, no matter what." Ario smiled and looked to the cat and scratched Pad behind the ears. "So who is your Master?" he asked kindly, "And where did you find your furry little friend?" He said as he smiled at the cat kindly.

{Tattersail Bladesinger}

Slowly sitting up, Tattersail said in a low voice so as not to disturb the night,
"Aye, pray tell me, what is your name...and are you alone out here?" Patiently waiting for a response she came to the conclusion that this spirit was friendly, especially because if this Gelu wanted to harm her she could have already done so. Finally Tattersail asked her again in a low voice,
"I'm heading to Aisak, would you want to leave with me on the morrow?"

:.Ida Kyyle.:

"Ario... I really like it." She shrugged. "I only got my lord, or he got me, yesterday, and I haven't even learned his name. I was going to call him Master or something, but he said that he'd be master over nothing but himself. Said he wanted a friend, not a slave. Personally, I think he's a little weird. Not like anyone I've ever known." Ida grinned when Ario asked about her cat. "I got Pad about a year ago. He was mewing for his ma when I found him, so I took him in. Whenever he got hungry, I stole some milk from the kitchens whenever I could." Pad mewed and clambered onto her shoulder, and placed his tail around the back of his neck. He buried his head in her short white air and purred. Ida giggled. "Stop it, that tickles!" Pad only intensified the purring. "I said stop it!" She carefully pulled him back into her arms and made him look at her. "Sir Pad, I prefer not to be tickled. It makes me giggle." She kissed the top of his head and he nuzzled her.

{Aveline Archcloak}

Aveline stared at the stranger for a moment, and was about to answer her first question when she asked another. Leave the village? Just like that? It was difficult to think about leaving after so long. They had just met each other yet she asked if she would like to leave with her... It made the young Gelu girl feel happy.

She started to feel less nervous and shy around this person. Aveline slowly started to walk forward and sat down on her knees about a foot away from this friendly stranger. "My name is Aveline." She said with a slight smile. "Yes...I am sadly the only one living here..." Aveline continued and looked down at the ground with sad eyes before looking back up to her.

"I'm...I'm not sure if I want to leave my village behind. I've never ventured out of this clearing before.." She admitted.

Noise. Noise was reaching him from the other passengers. Their voices above deck were reaching him in the cargo hold.

Well, I suppose I should go introduce myself, not very productive just waiting down here.

Dalak got up, brushed the dust off, and preceded to make his way above deck. As he opened the door the sun hit him right in the eyes. He got disoriented and squinted quickly, but that didn't stop him from bumping into a little girl.

"Oop, my bad. Sorry 'bout that"

He blinked a couple times to adjust his eyes, and looked at her properly. She seemed very shy, and then he noticed she was talking to someone and he had just interrupted. He bowed, apologized graciously like a true gentleman, and went to go look out at the docks from the ship's railing. The sun was hot today, tempers could flair with weather like this.

KARSEUN GEBURICH

The harbour watch had found no bodies, of course - neither those of the royal heirs nor the galleon-strong crew who served aboard the Great Dragon. All that remained in the bowels of the ghost ship were blood-flecked decks and discarded belongings. The evidence had passed into the hands of Captain Eloran Guthrun of the Desdemona, and now he sailed southward to return these scraps to their next of kin. It was the other, less-publicised purpose of this voyage.

By royal mandate of the Eliydan Crown, one such piece of evidence now rested in the hands of Geburich Malvolen. He was sat on the fore deck, crossed legged, with a piece of cloth in his hands. The morning sun was peeking between the sails, and every now and then a deckhand would pass behind him with a curious stare before tying a rope or emptying a swab-bucket over the side. The Desdemona's crew were naturally wary of having such a numerous host of guests invading their space. But they did their best to work through it. A wizard sitting on their fore deck was a minor inconvenience at best.

Unwrapping the cloth, Geburich ran his hand over a collection of wood splinters. An enterprising watchman had chiselled them from the deck of the royal ship as it was searched. The dark wood was coated in coagulated blood - the composite gore of the slaughtered royals and the crew of the Great Dragon. For two hours now Geburich had held them against his chest, eyes closed and mind projected beyond into realms his body. He was searching for a residue... a remnant of magic charge or dark enchantment. With no outward sign of struggle on the royal ship, Geburich's first theory was that the crew had been killed by magic.

But, try as he might, he could not glean any proof of such in the blood.

With a grunt he put the cloth down, scratched his beard, then looked at the jar resting by his knee. It held more wood-splinters, which floated in an alkaline solution. The blood had de-coagulated and drained to the bottom of the jar. He picked it up, uncapped it, then rose to his feet. In his other hand he uncrumpled a piece of paper - another item from the captain's evidence locker. It was a charcoal sketch that a watchmen had made upon the boarding the Great Dragon. It showed some of the blood-stains as they had appeared on the decks.

The wizard paced to the bow of the Desdemona, sniffing the air, looking up then to the horizon. He was muttering... not to himself this time, but to his patron goddess, Erren of the Winds. For just as he listened to the tides of magic, so did his senses attend on the turning of the breeze. He paced left and right, making silent calculations, then dipped his finger in the jar and flecked some diluted blood across the decks.

"Oi!" yelled an Enser deckhand, who glared from the crow's nest as the wizard dirtied the fore deck.

"Baaah!" Geburich snarled back at him with a dismissive wave.

The Enser continued glaring, but nothing more.

Geburich used his finger to paint the blood in the same shape as on the charcoal sketch. Then he stepped back, looking between the stain and the drawing, holding his wet finger in the air to test the wind direction.

It was a thin spray - possibly caused by a bladed weapon - and the flare pattern was narrow. The blood-splatter had been wind-assisted. This particular victim had been killed on deck, in open air, and the wind direction had been south-westerly. Judging by the placement, the ship had been pointing south-eastward, which meant he was killed during the outward journey, before the ship was turned back to port. The stain was also isolated, meaning there had been only one wound. He had been killed with an expert strike - no signs of struggle.

Geburich dipped his finger in the jar again and flicked it quickly - once, twice, a third time, trying different heights and examining each stain as it was formed.

To kill the victim with one blow, it had to be a throat or chest wound, meaning the killer was between 5 and 7 foot, assuming he made the strike at shoulder-height. It was unlikely the killer was a Bower, Elek or Acluv, unless the wind was incredibly strong - a theory disproved by the narrow stem of the spatter. Some other stains on the sketch indicated a blow-back pattern, meaning the blood had sprayed in the direction of the murder weapon. However, these sprays were also perfectly formed, meaning the killer avoided getting any blood on himself when making the kill, even though he was down-wind of his victim.

Conclusion: an expert assassin or a very fast animal.

Or a magic-user.

Geburich cursed and sat against the balustrade of the deck, staring at the blood pools around him. His staff was resting nearby and he gripped it as he pondered the scene. He just couldn't detect it... whatever magic there had been that night. There had to be something... there had to be a reason, more than sentiment, that compelled the king to choose him. Some spell.... some trick... some curse that had led Lok and Ura to their demise.

"HOO-JA-HAH!" he yelled suddenly, pointing his staff at the man in the crow's nest. The deckhand flinched and almost fell from his perch, shielding himself from the expected fireball or lightning strike.

Then when nothing happened he peeked over his arms and glared at the wizard once more.

Geburich rested his staff on the deck again and resumed staring at the bloodstains.

{ SUMMARY }
Geburich sits on the fore deck, examining some of the evidence collected from the royal ship. He comes up with a few theories about how the crew were killed, but in doing so raises more questions than answers.

=Ida Kyyle=

Ida started when someone bumped into her, and she almost dropped Pad. "Oh, that's quite alright." She mumbled when the person apologized to her. She was even more startled when the person bowed. "I-it's okay." She stuttered, but he was already moving on. After a moment of watching him, she became aware or Pads claws digging into her arm and left wrist. "Oh, Pad!" Ida muttered and picked him up by the scruff. She seemed to have completely forgotten about Ario. "Now, I've told you time and time again not to claw me there!" She scolded the kitten. "You know it still hurts." She stared at Pad right in the eyes, and he seemed to be trying to avoid her gaze. "Don't do it again, Pad." She commanded, her voice stern. Pad seemed to understand, and bowed his head. "Now, I know your only playacting. I know you already feel bad." She help him by the scruff a minute longer, then let him rest in her arms again.