~ A Monster Hunter's Field Guide to Survival ~ [Or

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jester

Original poster
~ Welcome to The Last Stand College ~
~ A Monster Hunter's Field Guide to Survival ~
~** Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the Monster Hunter games. This is an original world pitch. **~​

I got an itch, and it's an itch for an epic-length monster-punching madhouse. So let's put a monster-punching madhouse together! If that sounds interesting to you, feel free to keep reading. I'm open to ideas. Despite having a "curriculum" this college is only set up as reference for individual person's RP mentions and such to keep things on a general track so no one gets confused as the story progresses. What monsters we fight, where we go, what we do, what monsters fight us, whatever is all up to group participation and direction! Feel free to toss out your monster hunting cravings and we'll hopefully go on multiple adventures! Possibilities are literally endless.

A simple top-down view of the college map will be made if this has enough interest. I will also be making an OOC thread for character approval if we reach at least 4 players! If interested just post in this thread!

•~ Main Idea Summary:
  • Your character's entered into a college dedicated to the fine and heroic art of killing monsters and protecting the local cities and villages. The only catch is, since we're still in college, we aren't masters at anything yet. Classes, studies, and practice are all on or around school campus, and some of them can get pretty damn hands-on and dangerous. The goal? Graduate and start kicking some REAL monster ass!
•~ The Last Stand College:
  • Our world, the entire continent of Almsbough, is infested with monsters the last two hundred years and no one knows why. The longer time goes on, the worse it seems to get. The Last Stand is a college dead in the center of Almsbough, a massive wide tower surrounded by fields and training grounds, and along the outside, gated off with two-mile high, five foot thick brick and mortar. It's a bastion of safety for local villagers and cities, and others come from all over Almsbough to join and earn their Silver Star (graduation fighting permit.) Our characters are here; already approved and in, and the start of the RP will be us moving into dorms and getting ourselves acquainted with our first day's classes! We're going to start at the very bottom and work our way entirely up to graduation and fighting monsters! (This is a VERY long-term RP! I like long running stories!)
•~ Character Requirements:
  • Yeah this actually has to happen. Since we're a monster hunting college, technically we need races that are humanoid, and well, not monsters. Humans, elves, halflings, dwarves, and gnomes in D&D are all perfect examples of races that are acceptable! Things like half-elementals, half-demon (cambions), or dhampirs are case-by-case basis, I would have to approve of whether or not their history, background, and personality would be fitting. Things like elementals, angels, eldrich horrors, ogres and giants would not work.
•~ Classes & Curriculums:
  • The basics is that since we're a college, we have classes. But rather than have the over-complicatedness of having about a million different classes and class times for different characters, it's broken down into a very simple list, with simple times. Please note, no one will be posting in the thread to go "the time has changed for this class," it's just a reference as RPing for flow/direction! These classes and times during the day are as such as 10-hour days:
    • History - 8:00 am (You gotta know the people you're defending)
      Geography - 9:00 am (You gotta know where you are in order to travel, too)
      Language & Writing - 10:00 am (For learning to communicate with other races, etc)
      Field Studies - 11:00 am (Learning what monsters are what, strengths, weaknesses, etc)
      Fitness & Battle Maneuvers - 12:00 pm (Keep yourself in line and train to be badass)
      Lunch Break
      Weapons & Armor Training - 1:00 pm (Field practice with weapons to find your niche)
      Wilderness Survival - 2:00 pm (On-site field practice with treating wounds, being lost, etc)
      Animal Handling - 3:00 pm (Mounts, wild animals, and how to handle them etc)
      Improvisation & Resourcefulness - 4:00 pm (Random danger thrown your way; figure it out!)
      Monster of the Day - 5:00 pm (Professor Baelin is a dick. Meet a monster every day to learn to fight live!)
      Day Ends - 6:00 pm
•~ After-School Shenanigans:
  • Crazy bad adventures behind the professor's backs? Ever want to explore that dungeon where Professor Baelin holds all those monsters he likes to throw at you at the end of the day? What about that one fenced off lake everyone says to stay away from the edge of? Hmmm... Guess it's time to break some rules and go exploring with a couple friends, right? Or maybe you just like to stay home and study... Nerd...
•~ Graduation + Live Hunting:
  • Okay, so we all reach the end of the RP and we've all graduated. What then? Why a new RP thread of course! With the SECOND chapter of our world! Our characters live on the battlefield kicking ass and taking names. I'll open up a new thread dedicated to near-D&D like campaigns wherein we'll travel around free around Almsbough and start our careers. No dice, no DM systems, just regular old Monster Hunting RP without all the college and learning elements.

~ Interested? Ready... Set... Post! ~

You have caught my interest... :P

I might be interested, it depends on the level of magic and technology. I've been craving a RP with good hextech aspects.

• Useful
Reactions: DarkiusHeavenstein
Tech is limited guns, lanterns and oil lighting, brick and stone houses with tar/thatched roof, and traveling by horses and carriages. More like the Wild West sort of setting, and I don't know what hextech is. This isn't a SciFi sort of game.

Magic is everywhere, but in the sense everyone simply knows how to use it. It's limited by reality; you cannot summon a 10ft long gun to blast a monster away, but you can telekinesis that pen through its head. Using magic "orbs" or fireballs as weapons against monsters is possible but only small ones and it would take a lot out of a person to gather the energy to do it, so your focus would be on learning physical weapons and using it only as backup.

There's no class curriculum in handling magic; it's something you're taught growing up from parents, or even regular classes in high school, so there would be no need to have that unless a character was simply using what they already learned in class to help take down a monster.

Sounds pretty neat; I'll stick around and see where this goes. Will more information about everything in general be released with the OOC?

Haha yep! Some more world building stuff would be detailed for sure! I'm just testing to see if the concept itself has any interest! It'd be a little more fleshed out in the setting and what kind of things would be set up in regards to class content for reference, including magic level and where it comes from.

Reactions: Jakers
Possible interest, will keep eyes on this, ask questions once the ooc is up. Though the only one I have off the top of my head is, image rules for the rp to be based on?

Image rules? I don't know what you mean.

Image rules? I don't know what you mean.
For CS, Real people, anime, art, cgi. Most rp's seem to be picky on that.

Huh. Nope I'm not picky about that in the slightest, I kinda like other folks to take the different images and imagine them all on their own (or unify the idea in their head if they like). Mostly what I care about is a representation of your character I can at least visualize, so I'm not picky on that kind of thing. .)

Hmm okay then.

Tech is limited guns, lanterns and oil lighting, brick and stone houses with tar/thatched roof, and traveling by horses and carriages. More like the Wild West sort of setting, and I don't know what hextech is. This isn't a SciFi sort of game.

Magic is everywhere, but in the sense everyone simply knows how to use it. It's limited by reality; you cannot summon a 10ft long gun to blast a monster away, but you can telekinesis that pen through its head. Using magic "orbs" or fireballs as weapons against monsters is possible but only small ones and it would take a lot out of a person to gather the energy to do it, so your focus would be on learning physical weapons and using it only as backup.

There's no class curriculum in handling magic; it's something you're taught growing up from parents, or even regular classes in high school, so there would be no need to have that unless a character was simply using what they already learned in class to help take down a monster.

Seems pretty interesting. Hextech is the combination of magic and technology. Say you have a gun that doesn't use traditional ammunition, instead it amplifies the effects of the telekinesis you placed on the pen or rock or whatever you place into it to not only go through the head of the first monster, but several monsters head with the same amount of strain on the user. Maybe even finding other ways to use the orbs more creatively. Like with a small amount of drain a hextech lantern could be lit much brighter than a traditional oil lantern or a summoned light wisp. Extreme cases might include something like magic crystals being used for the signals in the circuitry of a robot giving it true AI.

Anyways, despite that, I'll throw in my interest.

yoho! im interested! /waves

Okeedoke that's at -least- about 3-4 people that are interested, so I'm going to start thinking up and organizing more deep thoughts to put into an OOC post and then tag you all in it when it's done being set up. :)

For now I guess start putting characters together! (I have only one at the moment I'm willing to toss into this kind of ordeal and she needs to be tweaked a little bit because she's a necromancer. Will remove the necromancer bit.)

Reactions: DarkiusHeavenstein
Will there be a CS template released for our characters, then? Or will it just be sorta freeform?

If CS template you mean a form to fill out for your characters in the OOC thread, yeah I'll have one of those. But it'll be simple and mostly to help me keep things organized so I know where to find things, and to also make sure everyone's on the same page. Details and such like backgrounds and personalities could be any length once you get to those; that's no problem.

Sorry I wasn't around today, I was off doing stuff n things. I'm still thinking about the OOC thread to make this kind of large plot organized so you all understand what's going on and to make sure I don't leave out anything major when I go to set it up. (Because there's always that one thing I forget. OTL)

Reactions: Jakers
Definitely interested in this!

Cool! Still here and organizing details, haha, gonna put some banners together too once I find some fitting images to make them. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.