3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
Genres
Scifi, Crime/detective, supernatural, apocalyptic, horror, magic realism, mystery, historical, Western(at points)
A Meeting of Fate
royal-palaces-europe-royal-palace-of-brussels-copyright-skyfish-european-best-destinations.jpg

Princess Edith Beckett the 2nd was the pride of the nation.

That was, at least, what her father called her, among other things. She didn't particularly believe it, herself. There were many things to be prideful in, things that weren't her. She personally loved the style of architecture that had been developed, as she had always admired how the palace was structured. Though, she'd never left the palace, so it was really the only piece of architecture in the nation she knew. The rest she got from books, books that were decidedly not focused on the area her father ruled.

The thing was, Edith hadn't exited the grounds since she was 2, after her mother was assassinated. Which, frankly, was understandable. She wouldn't have let her own children leave if it had been her in her father's shoes. There was too much danger in the action. So, she never blamed him. In fact, she worked to be the best she could be for him, so he wouldn't have to stress. Everything in the palace was her business, and when something was her business, she took care of it thoroughly. It got to the point that she was partially running the palace, while her father took care of external affairs.

She was so focused on her task that, when her 18th birthday came and she got her soul mark, she just didn't care. After all, she didn't have time for anything like that. If she had a soul mate, she wasn't going to go looking for them. If they ended up meeting, they would end up meeting, and that was that. She had other things to do in the mean time.

For example: Prisoners. They had had a recent break in, and usually, Edith would leave it to the guards, but she had finished everything else and wanted to check it out herself. So, she had put on one of her dresses that didn't drag along the ground, to avoid getting dirt on anything she actually liked, and headed down to the dungeon. She wasn't planning to do much with them. She simply wanted to speak to them about what they did, and, out of curiosity, ask them why. After all, people didn't steal for nothing. There was always a reason. And that was what she intended to find out. She didn't know how many there were, though, only that they were in cell 12, so she prepared herself for a formal conversation with 2 or more thieves.

She had done worse before. She doubted anything could end up being hard for her now.

Honestly this wasn't how Cora thought her day would turn out, it was suppose to be easy. Get n the palace, take a piece of jewerly, and get out than she'd be on her way but of course Marcus had knocked over a chair and left her to get caught.

Thinking about it now the prison wasn't really any different than the hole in the wall room she had in town just a small bed with a window but at least she got to eat regularl here instead of picking odd jobs just to get by. It was hard in the kingdom not that the rich or royals had to complain they took what they wanted and got away with it but the poor people could be worked to the bone and hardly get enough money for three days to eat.

She could hear the steps echoing down the halls probably another guard patrollng or maybe a beating for trying to steal from the king, rubbing her thumb over her soulmark on her forearm a habit she'd pick up over the years not that she really gave it any real thought, even if you had a soul Mark you might not even meet them in your life so why hope to find one especially now.

Edith greeted both of the guards with a short nod, before walking down all the way to cell 12. She went over to herself silently what she would say, just to make sure she knew what she was doing. She would ask for a name and a reason, above all. Those were the most important things. She was also thinking of inquiring about what they were attempting to steal, to further some precautions, but she wasn't worried about that as much.

She reached the cell, and turned towards the bars, dusting off the skirt of her crimson dress casually. It may have been short, but that didn't mean it was impervious. It still got dust and dirt on it. She would really need to speak to someone about getting the lower levels cleaned up; it may have been a dungeon, but there was no excuse for it to be this horrid. They weren't housing any murderers.

She looked at the person in the cell, folding her hands in front of her. Alright, well, at least there was only one. That made things a little easier. "Hello. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions." She said, though her tone suggested she'd do so anyway. She always upheld an air of authority about her. It made it easier to get people to listen to her, she found.

Sitting down against the cell wall leaning on her hand letting out a sigh looking out the window, "Your country, your palace so you'll do what you want anyway" looking over seeing the princess herself.

Raising an eyebrow at her in surprise honestly she didn't think that the princess would want to be in such a dirty place with low class people or deal with them. No doubt her to make herself look good for the Lord's and ladies she'd tell this story to at their next ball rolling her eyes looking back out the window.

Edith wasn't particularly pleased with how cocky the other was, but she supposed it was understandable. Being stuck in a place like this didn't do wonders to a persons attitude. So, she wasn't going to comment. She'd let it slide. She believed, truly, that she needed to view things along with the context they were happening in, so she could make a proper judgement. Anywhere else and she would've been extremely put out, but all things considered, she could see why the other woman was upset.

"Oh, no. Neither are mine. It's rather hard to control something that you've seen only in books, and my father is truly the one in charge of the castle." She answered, brushing some hair out of her face "I was in fact going to ask you the questions anyway- you aren't exactly in a position to not hear me out -but I offered it up as a courtesy. Now, what are you in here for?"

Looking over raising an eyebrow at the princess "You honestly can't expect me to believe you don't know why I'm here, I may be in a lower class but I'm not an idiot". Getting up from the floor making her way to the bars that separated them, frowning with narrowed eyes "Save the games for your pawns princess, either sentence me for my crime or leave your wasting both of our time" matching her gaze, she wasn't going to play their game or indulge a girl who never even left her castle to see the country or it's people.

Well, some much for being straight forward. The pawns comment was funny, considering nothing she was doing was close to chess. It wasn't even close to checkers, nor other games she could think up at the moment. Edith had been hoping the woman would be willing to just listen and answer what she asked, but you couldn't always get what you wanted. It was fair enough, she supposed, and she could manage.

She sighed, folding her hands in front of her again "You certainly took that the wrong way, didn't you? I obviously know you attempted to steal from the palace. I'm not an idiot either, you know. What I'm asking is why. People don't just steal for fun." She paused a moment, thinking it over, before continuing "How about this? One prison explanation for another. I'm Edith Beckett, and I've been stuck in this castle since I was two years old, because my mother was killed by an assassin. I'm attempting to do something good with my time in here, but it's rather hard to do that when people don't cooperate. I play chess, but I certainly don't see the appeal of playing it with the pawns being real people, and I'd like to know what compelled you to steal from the castle so I can properly assess the situation. Your turn."

Blinking a few times trying to process what she had just said, maybe wisp had misheard but she knew what she heard. The woman and not just any women but the princess of the entire country had just said the name of her soul mark, wisp's sleeve was down so she couldn't have seen it. Finally letting it sink in that her own soulmate was standing across from her but was also the princess well wisp could only do one thing and she laughed. Of course her heart was beating faster, her palms started to sweat and she almost forgot that she was in prison but even in her daydreams she couldn't have come up with this.

Calming down to a few chuckles "Well princess (chuckling) I don't have a last name and if I do I don't know or remember so call me wisp and as for your explanation nothing grand but simply sneaking into the palace to steal jewerally and sell it for money, unfortunately the odd jobs don't pay all that great."

The name sounded a little familiar, Edith decided to pay it no mind. Instead, she listened to 'Wisp' talk, thinking the explanation over. Money was reason enough for theft, but the fact that the prisoner commented on how the odd jobs don't pay well added a bit more. It would, in fact, imply that the financial situation this person was in wasn't the greatest. Now, it could've just been a one-off, but Edith had heard this explanation from plenty of people who had entered the palace cells.

"It doesn't need to be grand. I just need it to be the truth." She finally said, tucking a bit of hair behind her ear "And if that's the truth, that's good enough. I'm guessing, from the fact you risked coming in here, that you need the money, yes? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course. It's just an assumption."

"Its not an assumption if it's true" running a hand through her hair, sighing "Have you ever had to worry about choosing to eat or to pay rent for a place to live only ask yourself the same question dozens of time, ever had to work grueling hours at one job than go right to another for a bit of money or how about when you get sick and can't afford medicine" sliding down the wall sitting back down onto the floor kicking a small pebble. "Yes if it meant that I might get to sleep and eat without worrying it was worth the risk, but im not proud of it".