A Medieval Love (Lunita and Ruby)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafael did what he had threatened to do. He hated himself for it but it was the best decision he knew of. He kept the fish in his one hand while wrapping an arm around Melanie's waist with the other, placing her as gently as he could over her shoulder. Melanie really did not help matters but putting up a fight. She had kicked him a few times in the ribs. It did not feel very good and he grunted with pain but he was going to get her into that house. "Melanie, this is for your own good. I will speak with your parents, and get a list of the chores you are required to do. I will get them done before nightfall." He felt another hard kick, this time to his stomach. "Please stop putting up a fight, how do you expect me to help if you try to break my bones? Think about it this way, if you break my bones, your chores will not get done, mine will not get done. Where will that leave our families? You are going to pass out from exhaustion. Is this how your father would want things to be? You said he is sick, you need to keep yourself strong. To do that, you need to eat and drink."

When Rafael lifted her up, she immediately started to fight. She balled up her fists and was repeatedly hitting his back. She also kicked him repeatedly near his chest. She didn't want to hurt him but she hated being picked up. "Stop! Put me down! Rafael!" She screamed at him. "I have to work or it won't get done!"

Rafael continued this daily. He woke up before the sun rose, ran over to do Melanie's chores, then head back home to do his own. He didn't mind, in fact, he started gaining a fair bit of muscle mass. Six months passed. The ability to go fishing was just about over as winter was going to set in. Crops were going to start being harvested. The fall festival, one of the biggest events in the kingdom, was preparing to begin. Rafael's family started feeling the anxiety of what the year's crops would bring. His mother would come in after work, to begin drying fish, bottling vegetables, and just anything to store up food for the hard months that were coming. Winter months meant less work for his father, as well. The coin brought in from his mother being a maid did help but it was just enough to pay off the taxes. The left over coin, which was not very much, was being saved up for whatever food they may be able to find. Life was hard, and getting harder still. His father had sprained his back, but was still in search for a second job. This left Rafael with less time he thought he would have to be around Melanie, but he still found ways to do so. He loved how she made him feel. Even though, she could be quite stubborn, she was very protective of her family. To the point that if it came down to her sister eating or herself, she would go without. Rafael always made sure he kept some extra food for her to eat when he would visit. He would not see Melanie starve. His feelings for her grew. The festival would be the best time to ask Melanie to court him. He would first ask her father, of course.

The sun was setting when Rafael went to go visit Melanie. He spotted her, smiling as he approached. "Melanie!"

Months did pass for Melanie and her family. Her sister had tried to help out by taking in milk from the cows. Unfortunately, she wasn't strong enough yet and most of it would spill on the ground. So Melanie gave her the job of taking care of her father. He wasn't getting better as it became winter. She wasn't sure what was wrong with him. She just hoped that he would get better soon.
As she tended to the garden, she looked over at hearing someone coming. She smiled widely as he appeared. "Hey Rafael!"

Rafael came up to Melanie with his hands behind his back. He brought out one hand full of wild flowers, "I thought these would brighten up your day." He looked over the garden, "Let me give you a hand." He started walking around the garden to see what needed tending. "The festival is going to be exciting this year, I heard. Would you be interested in attending?" He wanted to be sure that it was something she would like to attend before asking her father about courting her. He was still going to ask at any rate. If she did not want to attend the festival, he would think of something different.

When he presented the flowers, Melanie couldn't help by awe at them. "Oh Rafael! They're beautiful!" She said, taking them and smelling them sweetly. As she continued, she heard him ask about the festival. "Yeah. I heard about that too. I want to go but I don't think I can." She slowly frowned at the thought.

Rafael plucked a weed he spotted, then stood up and looked at Melanie. "Why? What's wrong?" He looked at her frown and went over, placing his hands over Melanie's arms. "What can I do?"

Melanie sighed, feeling sad. "Dad is doing better and it's not fair for me to leave to have fun when he can't." She said. She always had to keep up with the house and yard work but he already knew that.

Rafael sighed, "Melanie, there are times that you just need to have fun. I know that you feel responsible for your family, but that's why you have me here. I am here to help you so that you can have more time to have fun and relax." He ran his fingers through her hair gently, "Come with me, Melanie. I need you to be there. You wouldn't want me to get into trouble, would you?" Rafael smiled as he looked into her eyes. "Wait here, there's something I need to take care of. I mean it, stay here." Rafael went to the house, knocking at the door to speak to Melanie's father. He entered seeing him at the table.

Rafael put a hand through his hair nervously, "Good sir, I am here to ask your permission to court your daughter."

Melanie could feel her heart race as he looked into her eyes and ran his hand through her hair. It was so gentle and filled with compassion. She considered him her best friend but maybe there was more to it? When he asked her to stay, she tried to tell him that she needed to work. Then when he gave her a serious playful look, she decided to stay put.

The father looked over at Rafael with a shocked and concerned face. "Rafael? You wish to court my daughter?" He asked. He thought it was possible since they had been friends for so long but it still shocked him that it was really happening.

Rafeal nodded to her father, "Yes, sir. I wish to court your daughter." He watched her father's expression. He was so nervous as to what he may say. 'Please say yes, oh please say yes.' Was all that he had running through his mind as he waited for the answer.

The father stood with a groan and limped over toward him. He took him in his arms and gave him a hug. "Of course Rafael! Of course you can court her!" He said with so my happiness.

Rafeal let out a happy chuckle, "Thank you, sir. Thank you so much." He gave her father a brief hug. He then ran out to Melony. He was so elated that he scooped her up in his arms, twirling her around. "I have just spoken to your father, and he has agreed to allow me to court you."

The father smiled as he watched Rafael run off.

Melanie was waiting there patiently for Rafael, fighting the urge to do more chores. She soon saw him running at her. he picked up and twirled her around. This caused her to yelp a bit in surprise and laugh at the twirl. "What's going on?" She asked, thinking something happened inside. Once he answered, her heart skipped a beat. "Court me?"

Rafael nodded excitedly, "Yes, he will allow me to court you. Don't worry Melanie, I'll take good care of you." He smiled wide, "Now, you can't say no to me. You have to come to the fair. Come on, Melanie. Join me for the fair. You need it."

Once he said he'll take care of her, she gave him a big hug. She was so happy that words weren't enough to describe it. When he asked her, or told her, to go to the festival, she smiled. "Ok. I'll go with you." She said, taking his hand into hers.

He couldn't be happier when she said yes. The day was getting better by the minute. "You have made me the happiest man on the planet." Rafael ran his free hand through her hair. He then cupped her face gently as he went to kiss her.

"And you have made me the happiest woman." She answered him. She placed a hand on his shoulder and leaned in to kiss just as he was. She couldn't believe this was happening. She felt a bond with Rafael for years but she never imagined it would feel like this.

Rafael wrapped his hand around her waist, holding her close against him. He kisses her for a few moments before backing up, "You're chores are as good as done. Tell me what is left. I will finish them so that we can go for a walk."

Status
Not open for further replies.