Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Comedy, Medieval, Romance, Sci-Fi, Modern
[bg=#ffd24d]A Matter of Heart and Soul IC[/bg]
airship_by_terrylh-d60ffmw.jpg

Jack let out a sigh of relief once he finished up the last diagram of the ship. It was a small sketch, and after doing so many of them, he had an even more intimate knowledge with all the inner compartments than he could've imagined. Which was saying something, considering that he was the captain who knew all, felt all, and saw all. Or that was how he'd come across once the crew was assembled. Tilly would be his main help on that front, letting him know of all the personal intricacies that were going to happen. He still had doubts about his vice captain, but he didn't have the time to dwell on it. He carefully placed each small drawing inside an envelope and addressed each one to one of the potential new hires. "Hopefully this works out, otherwise..." He ended his small rambling with a grimace. "Oi Tilly, finished up with the letters!"

Dear ______________,

My name is Jack, and I'm the captain of the Dreamer. You'll find a diagram of her enclosed. To put this in​
as few words as I can, we're an exploration vessel in need of a solid crew. That's where you come in. You have some skills that I find very worthwhile in this type of business, and I want to give you a shot on my airship. You'll be paid well and I suppose you can keep some of the items we come across on our journey should you choose to join us.​

Before you get ahead of yourself, I'd like to meet you in person to talk through the details. I'll be at​
Pete's Pub down on Sky Street tomorrow evening around nine. I'll be the guy in the flat cap.​

Sincerely,
Captain Jack

Tilly's tail flicked slowly behind her as she stood in the far corner of the pub, a beer in hand as she casually watched the door. It was a quarter to nine, and she was sincerely hoping that this so-called crew would show up for the meeting so that they could get the hell out of here. If they didn't leave soon, they wouldn't be leaving at all. And that wasn't that a fun prospect to ponder in the yellowish light of the pub at night. With a soft sigh of annoyance, she quietly began to sing along to the music playing softly overhead.
"If you could see it then you'd understand..."
Jack's fingers tapped softly along to the music against the metal bit that he kept in his jacket pocket. His sharp hazel gaze was fixed on the door of the pub, anxiety growing in his chest as the seconds ticked by. He could feel the little mechanisms of his pocket watch whirring in his breast pocket, and what usually served to relax him merely urged his nerves on. His foot began to tap as well as time kept slipping away. He readjusted the hat on his head, glad to have it since it hid most of his unruly red hair. The door of the nearly empty pub swung open as one of the potential new hires sauntered in. A small smirk appeared on his face as his nerves subsided. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shavynel
"Sir, a letter came for you."

The footman found Simon in the study, reclined in the best chair with his feet on the table despite the fact the footrest was no more than a foot away. Simon simply pointed at the table, giving no other notion of having heard. He was busy with his book -- one borrowed from a friend on the classification of ferns with particular details on the fronds and exploring the differences in coloration -- and he wasn't to be interrupted.

Several chapters later, someone came and lit the room.

It was nightfall when Simon finally closed his book and set it down in just the manner to tip the tray with the letter and onto the ground. Were it not for that, he probably would have forgotten about it entirely. And now it was probably too late to send a proper response, but Simon was gentleman enough to know he ought to prepare one to send first thing in the morning.

He opened the letter and immediately flipped to the diagram -- one that rivaled the diagrams he had been studying all afternoon in terms of attention to detail -- and that was enough to capture his attention to blitz through the written attachment.

His lips twitched into a smile. This was just the sort of thing he had been expecting.

The next day went rather poorly. He sent his response easily enough, but found that nothing could quite occupy his time. He went out for a walk, but found his feet had brought him back home rather quicker than usual. He attempted a chemical experiment he had in the margins of his notes, but abandoned that when he realized his hands would not stop shaking enough to pour properly. Perhaps it was strange for him to then go with unsteady hands to practice shooting, but he figured a gun would be useful at some point or another on an exploration. And, indeed, he fared no better or worse than he usually did at that.

Still, it seemed an entire era had passed before Simon found himself outside Pete's Pub, a place he would hardly conceive to find himself at under usual circumstances. He took his drinks in private, but the promise that the letter made was strong enough for him to make an exception. Simon pushed open the door and found the flat cap was not at all hard to find in the crowd that had not shown up.

Well, there was no point in delaying. He was here for one reason and no other.

"Captain Jack," he greeted the flat cap with an extended hand and an easy smile, "Simon Carlisle. I'm curious about these ... details."

Last edited:
When the letter arrived to him, Karl Tanner was in the middle of cleaning himself up.

As a few hours ago, he was let off from a fishing ship he had been hired onto a few months ago. And with little time to clean one's self, one tends to get dirty. After leaving the bathroom, Karl noticed the letter sitting atop other unopened envelopes. Said envelopes contained offered more low paying jobs aboard ships that most likely wouldn't last long.

Infact, he almost didn't even open the new letter, but his gut told him to at least look at it.

Afterall, his gut rarely led him astray.

Taking a knife, he opened the envelope and read the letter. It looked authentic with what it was advertising. Even had a diagram for the ship. Which looked to be quite unique in design, unlike the ships he had worked on previously. As he read the end of the letter, he saw that the captain wished to meet in person at a pub that Karl had only visited on occasion. Said occasion was when Karl would pay a investigator to find out who he was.

For, Karl Tanner was not his real name. It was what the crew of a ship had called him when they found him as a young boy stowing away on their ship.

The reason was to get away from an cruel orphanage he was left at since he was a infant.

When he was found, the only thing he had on him was rags and a strange medallion with a strange symbol on it. No one on the crew could figure out what the symbol was.

But the crew knew of someone that could figure it out....But said person's services were not cheap. So, they offered to take him on, so he could earn money to pay for it.

One of the crew members, known as "Raven." Took young Karl under his wing. When Karl was not assisting the others with work. Karl was under, training with Raven. Who had taught him many things. Such as how to be stealthy, how to blend in, and how to fight with a sword. Karl had earned many bruises and cuts during his training. But after years, Karl had become a skilled young man. Finally defeating Raven in a duel.

Soon after that, when they stopped at the city he lives in now. Raven and several other crew members gave him a large portion on their pay to set him up, so he could live on his own and begin his path to finding his identity. Raven giving him an outfit he had once worn, and his sword. A wonderful blade with a raven's head on the butt of the hilt.

Telling him that he would have to wait til he was older before he could work for them again. He did so, working in shops and doing other things until he had turned eighteen. He had gone to the right people, asking if the crew was looking for new members. But, the secretary told him that the ship had gone missing, and the crew declared dead. Saddened, Karl joined crews left and right, trying to find the right one that would hopefully venture out enough for him to find the missing ship. And it's crew.

But, he had no luck in finding them. So, he just resolved to just getting enough money to pay off the investigator.

He still had hope. And this letter seemed to reinforce said hope.

So, early in the next morning. Karl shaved his head. Spent the next few hours cleaning his clothes, mask. Sharpening his sword, repairing his flintlock pistol, and grabbing the right supplies.

When the time came. He put on his outfit. Making sure the pockets strapped to his chest, carried the right amount of rounds, medicine, food and other items. Making sure the sword was secured to his back. And that his flintlock was in it's holster. Grabbing his mask, he put it on, tightening the straps, before flipping his hood on. The mask looked like a gas mask of sorts. Protecting him from any scents while letting him breath.

Leaving his home, Karl took several shortcuts to the pub, or at least the road leading to it. Within a few minutes, he was on the road the pub was on. Walking down it, people avoided him. Which was understandable, if you saw a masked person with a sword and gun on them, wouldn't you avoid them like the plague?

Karl ignored these people. Stopping at the door of the pub. Karl was nervous. And in order to calm himself, Karl had to take a deep breath before opening the door and walking inside. Karl quickly spotted the man in the flat cap. With another man talking to him. And rather than being rude, when Karl walked over, he didn't interrupt the conversation between them. Instead, Karl waited until the man was finished talking, then he pulled out the letter, showing it to the man in the flat cap, before also holding out his hand for a handshake. "Karl Tanner, sir." He said. His voice muffled by the mask.​

Erica Lanly

Footsteps hurriedly paced along the hallways. Feet beating against wood flooring as the steward tried in vain to make up for lost time. But it did not matter. He was already late. And when the steward arrived at her door, he could hear her swearing on the other side of the white-painted wood. In his youth he had served the Lord of the house. But now he tended to the young lady, daughter and heiress to the wealth and nobility of the Lanly family. She was Erica Lanly. He was too old for this. His hair was grey and thin, swept backwards in an attempt to control it. Even his skin was pale and currently stained grey from smoke. His suit, now smelling like charcoal, was grey with a black tie.

Tentatively he knocked.

"Ugh, come in!" shouted a female voice from the other side.

The grey steward opened the door. And found the tragedy that was the young lady's room.

"What? ... What? ... But what?" he stammered.

She giggled. "Did you leave your words back in the kitchen with my tea?"

"What in the blazes happened here?"

The room, once decorated in purple and white, was now stained with a dozen different colors of paint. An easel bearing a clean canvas sat in the center of the room. The young lady sat on the floor beside the easel. From head to toe she was covered in paint. Red and orange soaked into her hair. Yellow splattered her face. Green and blue and purple smothered her entire body, dripping from every curve, coating the cleavage between her ample bosom. Underneath the paint all she wore was a set of purple lace underwear. And the old steward was the lone piece of grey in a dystopia of mixed paint. Furniture was covered, the carpet stained, walls lathered, and it was even dripping from the ceiling.

"W-Why aren't you dressed?" he asked.

"Why didn't you bring my tea?!" she demanded.

For a moment, the steward hesitated. "The new servant set the kitchen on fire... You're tea has been delayed."

"Delayed?" she asked. Had the paint that covered her face not concealed her expression, the steward would of saw how pissed she was at him.

"Well... Yes... I'm sorry, miss."

She stopped to think for a moment. "The new servant, you say? Do you mean that cute new dish boy?"

"I suppose one could describe him as cute, yes," the steward replied, unsure of where this was going.

She smiled at him. "Then it's fine." Wait, what? The steward was shocked. Stunned. Had she really just said that? Since when was something fine? Especially when she wasn't getting her own way. "But..."

"Yes, miss?"

"You said the boy was cute." She smirked. "Have my tea brewed as soon as possible and delivered by the dish boy."

"But miss, I am not so sure that your father would appro-"

"Well my father isn't here!" That was true. And that explained, but did not excuse, her childish behavior these past four months. "Do as I say."

"Yes, miss." She waved a hand, dismissing him. But the steward waited a moment longer. When she looked at him inquisitively he spoke up: "A letter was delivered for you. And it's not from your father." A single eyebrow was raised on her face. She was curious. Erica held out her hand, demanding the letter, and the steward stepped forward, reaching into his suit jacket to fetch out a white envelope. "Here you are, miss. I think you will find the portents to be interesting."

"Thank you."

She open the envelope and took the letter out. As she unfolded the many papers, marring them with green paint, the first thing she saw was a blueprint. A beautiful, astonishing blueprint. Such detail as she had never seen. She was impressed by the hand that had drawn the designs for such a ship. An incredible, one-of-a-king ship. An airship that could go further, discover more, and reach untold lands. Lands that even her father had never seen. And the last page was a request.

"Actually, the tea can wait. I have a date tonight and I have to prepare."

---

She was ready. Tonight was the night. She would finally escape the overbearing shadow of her father's progress and make a name for herself. The pub, named after the owner Peter she presumed, was less expensive than her personal taste. Now she felt a little disappointed. She had gotten all dressed up for nothing.

Erica wore black thigh high stockings and black lace up boots with five inch high heels. Gingerless fishnet gloves. A tight white blouse was wrapped up in a tight red corset that pushed her breasts upwards and exposed a lot of flesh. Her usual golden pocket watch hung from her waist. Beside the watch was a holster equipped with a single pearl-handled pistol of overly elaborate design. Erica's hair flowed down her shoulders and onto her mid back in waves of pale red. And atop her head was a small, purple hat adorned with black lace. Her face had a delicate application of rose on her cheeks. Bright red lip gloss. And pale pink eye shadow that made her blue eyes burst with color. Finally a gentle touch of mascara. She looked hot.

From under the dim light of a street lamp, she eyed Pete's Pub. This place really was low class. But the prospect of a journey aboard that ship, the one in those wondrous blueprints, was too good to give up on. So she crossed the street. Her heels clacked on the cobbled pavement.

She swung the door open and waltzed into the pub. When looking around for the 'flat cap' she easily found a handsome gentleman entertaining two... Guests? The first guest was a dashing young man with messy brown hair. The second was a creep in a mask. Meh, it wasn't up to her to judge them. She carefully approached the table, swaying her hips a little with each step. As she neared Erica reached out a hand to rest it on the first gentleman. Smiling as he did so.

"Hello, boys," she greeted. "I'm Erica Lanly, yes that Lanly. It is a pleasure to meet you." Her voice was smooth and alluring, like honey.

Last edited by a moderator:

4a81d3082be5a8c6a49821e24be0ac18.jpg

Eloise Kai Connelly

The sun peered into her room from the blinds, resting its bright beams on the sleeping body of a girl with dog ears and a tail. Obviously an Animal-Kin. The girl, still asleep, rolled right into the sunlight, the rays now shining on her face. The light caused the girl to stir and she opened her eyes a little, immediately shielding them with her thin arms. Too bright. She thought to herself, blinking a few times to let her eyes adjust to the light. When they had, she lowered her hand and pressed the forearm against her bed, holding her upper body up. Another day, another duty. Eloise served as a maid to Lord Darius Krauss, a cunning and dangerous man. She was one of three other servants. Two butlers and one other maid. The lot of them kept the house running and in order. A job Eloise was quite good at.

Slipping out of bed, Eloise made her way to a comfy chair which sat against the wall beside her bedroom door. On it laid her outfit which she had to wear every day. Orders from her master. Undressing from her nightgown, Eloise dressed quickly and checked her pocket watch. 5:30 am. Perfect. I have enough time to get breakfast made, gather today's schedule, wake the others, and iron masters clothes for the day. She thought to herself, tucking her pocket watch away as she exited her room. Eloise walked quickly down the hall, not wishing to waste a single second. The master became angry when his expectations were not met, and they high. However, Eloise was born to do well with such things and never failed to please so she wasn't worried. It was quiet throughout the manor, seeing as everyone else was asleep. Not for long, though. Upon entering the kitchen Eloise immediately got to work, gathering the supplies and ingredients needed to make the breakfast she'd planned last night. Twenty minutes later, Eloise was making her way down the hall she'd walked down earlier on her way to the kitchen. Down here is where the servants slept, such as herself. It was time to awaken the others. First came Axel, a kind-hearted man who falls under the strong silent type. Secondly was the other butler, Xeno, a boisterous and mischevious boy who's surprisingly reliable. Lastly but certainly not least, was Arina, the clumsy and ditzy one of the bunch. After making sure they were all awake and getting ready, Eloise made her way to her office. Being the masters oldest and most loyal servant, she was named the Head Servant and therefore given an office so she could take care of things in a more organized manner. When she got there, Eloise walked to her desk first, a decent sized wooden table in a rectangular shape with drawers. Opening one of the drawers she pulled from it a sheet which held the masters schedule for the day on it. She scanned over it, remembering what was going on, what time, and where. She reread everything a few times, locking it in her head, before putting the paper back and grabbed the masters outfit for the day which she'd left on her desk last night. She walked over to the ironing table and began to iron his clothes, making sure to eliminate all wrinkles. When she had finished, Eloise checked her watch. 6:20. Tossing the clothes over her arm, Eloise exited her office and made way to the kitchen where she loaded her masters breakfast onto a silver serving tray. She balanced it on her hand, walking out of the kitchen, into the large entry way, and up the stairs to the masters bedroom. All the while reciting today's events. When she reached his door, Eloise used her free hand to open it, entering the room in silence. It was dark in her masters bedroom, the thick curtains blocking out the sun and all lights turned off. He laid in bed, his body covered by his blanket, sleeping soundly. Eloise set the tray down on the small round table which stood beside the door. With his clothes on her arm, Eloise walked over to his window and opened the curtains, tieing them back so they wouldn't close. "Time to wake up master." She said, turning to look at her master who was beginning to stir. Approaching him, Eloise set his clothes on the bed and walked over to where she'd set his breakfast, pouring a cup of Earl Gray tea. "Eloise... What's for breakfast?" The master asked, his voice low and sleepy as he sat up. Turning around, his tea is hand, Eloise walked over to her master and handed him the tea. "Today we have sausage and cheese omelet muffins with white toast, bacon, strawberries, and a small cheese omelet." She answered him, watching as he drank his tea, energizing his groggy body and mind. "Sounds good. What do I have today?" Eloise took his empty teacup and saucer, setting it on the nightstand beside his bed and fetching his clothes. "Today you have a meeting with George Vandergall, the man in charge of one of the Krassuer chain buildings over in Italy at 8:00, followed by your fencing lesson with Mr. O'Neil at 10:00, then you have another meeting with your aunt Blance at 1:00 about family affairs, then at 4:00 is yout study session. After 6:00 you have the rest of the day off." She replied, having handed him his outfit for the day and waiting patiently off to the side for him to be finished so she could hand him his breakfast. Her master was truly a magnificent man. When he had dressed, she carried the tray to him and held it before him. Her lord took it with care and waved her off. Eloise nodded at him and left the room, going to check the mail.

~~~~~~~~~~

Seeing one mailed to her, Eloise's eyes widened in surprise. "That's strange. Nothings even been mailed to me before..." She muttered to herself, staring at the envelope a few seconds longer before stuffing it in her breast. She hurried back inside and went to her lords office, setting the mail on the table. With that finished, she left and walked to her own office where she opened the envelope. Removing the letter, she read it over and her eyes widened in surprise. A lowly maid being asked to join an airship crew. Sure, she'd dreamt of exploring the world countless times but never thought it'd be possible. Of course, logic won over and Eloise started looking for signs of a joke, however only saw the plans for the airship. Leaning against her desk, Eloise looked it over and found herself smiling. Truly a childs dream. With a soft sigh, she placed the folded the plans and letter together and placed in the envelope, setting them inside one of her drawers. Maybe I'll check it out. If it is a joke, it'd be nice to find out who did it. She thought to herself, leaving the room. For now, she had business to attend to. She didn't have time to worry about the letter.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was 8:30 and her lord had decided to retire early, tired from the long day of work. All the others were still awake, cleaning up and devising another dumb plan to make the master happy tomorrow. Eloise listened to them, smiling slightly at their loyalty and wishes to make the lord happy. However, her thoughts were troubled. Should she go against her master and go to meet the captain? Her brows furrowed and Eloise stared at the ground, lost in thought. She'd always remained loyal to her master, never disobeying nor questioning. Yet... "ELOISE!!!" The master appeared on the steps, his face showing clear anger and distress. He was still dressed in his pajamas and held something in his hand. Eloise's eyes widened slightly. It was the letter from this morning. Her lord rushed down the stairs and stormed towards her, grabbing her by the collar and raising her up. "WHAT IS THIS!!? ARE YOU THINKING OF BETRAYING ME?!" He screamed at her, hurt and betrayel in his eyes. Eloise remained calm and placed a hand over her lords which held her up. It was hard to breathe, but she still managed to create sentences. "My master. My lord, Darius Krauss. I have remained loyal to you for five years, answering to your beck and call. You are my wonderful, amazing lord. I have remained faithful to you, never questioning you nor disobeying. However, I have dreamed. I have always wished to see the world. Since you bought me I have been here, trapped like a bird in a cage. Nothing but your pet. I know how this hurts you, and it troubles me to see you like this, but I wish to go. To at least hear what he has to say." Eloise watched as her lords eyes widened and he released her. She landed on her feet and looked up at her master who stared down at her, his expression sad and hurt. Raising her hand, Eloise rested it on her lords cheek and ran her thumb over it. "You have been by my side for five long years. Never doubting me.... never asking for anything. Tell me, Eloise, is this what you want the most? Do you really wish to explore the world?" He asked, his voice soft and smooth. He placed his hand over hers and watched her face, seeming to brace himself for he knew she only spoke true unless otherwise told."Yes." Came her response and Eloise heard the other servants whisper, surprised to say the least. She met her masters stare, and saw him smile. A sad, understanding smile. All he had to do was say yes and she could leave, yet he didn't have the same luxury."I see. If that's the case than I have one last order for you." Her lord stepped away, straightened his posture, and stared right at her. "Eloise, I order you to leave and follow that wish of yours. Do not return unless I say otherwise." Eloise smiled slightly and got on one knee, bowing to her lord as she placed a hand over her heart. "Yes, master." She said and stood up. She stared at her smiling lord and walked past him to get ready.

~~~~~~~~~~

Eloise left the manor, being waved goodbye from the other servants who were all sad to see her go. Her lord hadn't come to see her leave, but he gave her a gift and she knew he was watching from his window. When she walked past the gate that led to the manor, Eloise stopped and looked at her masters bedroom window. There, standing in darkness, was her lord, watching her go. She did not wave, or smile, merely nodded to him and was on her way. Sky Street was a good fifteen minute walk away, however she was not one for being late and so she decided to run. After all, it was currently 8:50. Being part dog had it's quirks, one being speed. She was however slowed a bit by her luggage. It was rather ridiculous to bring such a thing to a meeting but she had been ordered not to return unless he said so. It was her last order and she refused to disobey something to precious. Eloise had removed her maid outfit, now wearing something more casual. However, she didn't toss it away. Instead, the outfit now sat among her luggage. Apparently she held sentimental value for it. So silly. She thought to herself, smiling a little. She pushed herself harder, streaking down the roads.

She stopped outside the door, straightening herself up, before she entered. Upon doing so warmth flowed towards her along with the smell of alcohol and the words of the song overhead. Closing the door behind her, Eloise looked around, remembering the captains vague description. A flat cap... She thought, her left eyes twiching slightly. She looked around the room and indeed, he stood out. Suppose he had no need to be descriptive. She thought, noticing that three others were with him. None of them seemed to know each other seeing as no warmth or recognition showed in their eyes or on their faces. I guess he sent the letter to a few people. She thought, walking confidently over towards the group. The captain was a pleasant looking man and with him was a human who also looked good, a strange person who wore a mask, and a pretty woman who was also human. Guess I'm the only Animal-Kin so far. She thought, now stopping before she group. She set her luggage, a simple black suitcase, in front of her and stared directly at the captain, paying no heed to the others. "Captain Jack I pressume. I'm Eloise Connelly. It's a pleasure to meet you." Eloise said, speaking with respect and a sense of duty. She stood with a straight back and shoulders back as she was taught. Now, after greeting to most important one there, she turned her attention to the others and greeted them all the same. "Good evening. I am Eloise Connelly."

Last edited by a moderator:
Once upon a time, about ten years ago, Doctor Stillmor Ciggmain had only just obtained his degree and had begun his work alone in a small office on Sky Street. Business was decent but he certainly wasn't feeling that luxurious life of a physician he had dreamed of as a child. He would never forget the night that his life got infinitely harder. It was raining, not your typical rain but the rain that sounds like a war. When the thunder sounds like bombs and the rain sounds like gattling guns and you really really want it to stop already so you can get some sleep. Dr. Cigs was in the really wanting it to stop position when he heard something that sounded like a corpse smacking against his door. With his infinite wisdom he opened the door and found a short, young girl with big metal forearms looking at him with a steely gaze.

When he had recovered from the initial shock he asked the girl why she was standing out in the rain to no reply. He then asked her who she was and if she was lost to no reply. After waiting for a while Stillmor sighed and asked if the girl would like to stay until the rain passed.

Ten years later the good doctor was going over his taxes on his desk while the same girl was tinkering on the workbench adjacent to it. Without looking up he asked, "Myo, could you please get today's mail? I believe it just arrived." The girl nodded and hopped down from her stool, leaving the same little office to return a few seconds later. As she was walking she filed through the letters out of pure curiosity, and came to a full stop. Dr. Cigs looked up, hesitation was unatural for Myo, and found she was looking at a particular sheet of paper. "Something caught your eye?" He queried as he got up from his desk and approached her. The girl extended the sheet towards the doctor, who read it and nearly fainted.

It was a letter asking for Myo to join an exploration crew, an exploration crew! A bunch of ratty ragamuffins out to get themselves killed for nothing more then trinkets and fame! Ridiculous! Absurd! Suicidal! Dr. Cigs lit his pipe, as the very thought of such a insane proposition gave him a headache. And then he saw Myo looking at him with stern intensity. The good doctor froze as he quickly realized the Urdin girl had never appeared passionate about anything outside her work until now, to take something like this away from her would be murder on her psyche. With a familiar sigh he said,
"Yes, of course you can go."

At this Myo raised a eyebrow and moved her mechanical fingers to reveal a nearly identical letter under the first one. Stillmor found his name was written on it and then, then he fainted.

A few hours later and the door of Pete's Pub swung open again, a soft breeze bringing with it the strong smell of burning tobacco. Doctor Ciggmain entered, clearly still scared out of his mind, his teeth played with his pipe as he nervously scanned the bar. To his great disappointment he found the one guy in a flat cap. Dispite his extreme terror Dr. Cigs found himself some composure and approached to give a gentlemanly bow, a bit of ash spilling from his pipe. "Humblest greetings sirs and madam, Doctor Stillmor J. Ciggmain, at your service." After placing his hat back on his head Cigs hurriedly shook hands with most of the group, quickly examining them as he went along. The level headed captain, a learned yet privileged looking young man, a masked, rough and tumble sort and a straight, studious Animal Kin. Unfortunately for him with the scanty garb of the human woman and his mile a minute paranoid thoughts he took her as a mistress of the night and ignored her completely.

Soon after his introduction Myo paced up to his side, her coming heralded by the clink of extra hands. Speaking of which she had her most precise hands equipped, five thin metal fingers with cables running across them. She silently observed each of the others, sizing each them up with her plain iron stare. Her gaze stopped at the Animal Kin however, and stayed there. Discovery already, she had never seen a member of the race. Dr. Cigs gestured to her and said, "And this is Myo. She doesn't talk much." He found that it was probably good to keep the whole mute thing on the down low until they were on the ship.

Seph's reputation had preceded him. Of course, this was nothing new to him, not after having spent two months in this city pathfinding, hunting, guarding, and whatever other odd jobs he could find that his skills were suited for; anything that could give him more money to go to a new place and a new frontier with hopes and dreams alive and well instead of dead and barren. By this point, he had had several clients directed to him by name rather than having to go out and find something.

As such, when he received Jack's letter, he shoved it into his pocket before going out on another job that he had planned for the day on the outskirts, thinking it was just another request for his assistance. Unlike himself, Jack's reputation had not preceded him, though that was probably more due to Seph's newness to the area.

Waiting for his targets to arrive, he leaned back against the bricks of the alcove he was seated in and pulled out the letter, keeping an ear out for a change. Slicing it open with a claw, he perused the text, looking at the diagram with visible interest. It was clear that it was designed for flight, but from what Seph knew, large scale vehicles for flight had never worked. However, what really piqued his interest was that this was an exploratory vessel and that meant that he was being asked to go to new and unexplored lands. In his situation, how could he deny the request?

Folding the letter and diagram back up, he put it back in a pocket and returned his gaze below. The alleyway was nondescript, merely a small thoroughfare for pedestrians to cut between streets and to allow air flow. In the time that he had been there, only two people had passed through, yet now one was at each of the opposite ends, both walking towards the other. He leaned in closer, inhaling the scents around. Slowly, his lips parted in a grin that showed a mouth of sharp, pointed teeth. With so few smells around and with one that he already knew, that was all he needed, but there was another scent, one of... familiarity. He crouched down at the edge, his tail sweeping back and forth behind him.

The two met just below him and a few words floated up about jewelry and how much he could get. The one whose scent he knew showed a brooch of what looked like gold inlaid with emeralds. The grin stretched wider and the rows of teeth showed more of the same. He dropped down from the edge feet first, his fall broken as his heel caught the woman who was appraising the brooch on the shoulder and he rode her down to the ground, drawing up to his full height of a lean 6'3' with ease after the fall; for his tribe, this was something a child of five could handle. The man who had offered the brooch took an involuntary step back, stunned by the sudden appearance of Seph.

"You make for poor prey, Ngoikore," the wolf-kin said, the velvet-gloved Riri word dripping with wrath and disappointment.

Seph's words galvanized the human into action and he spun on his heel, taking off in the only egress left to him. He chanced a look back only to find Seph still standing over a dazed woman, though his arm was extended, the other braced on it. The Wolf-kin's mouth moved in a singular word and he could hear a hiss before pain blossomed in the back of his thigh. Unable to move the leg forward, he stumbled to the ground and frantically looked back to see a spike lodged deep into his thigh with a cable leading back to Seph. The wolf-kin's mouth moved again and the human found himself yanked back by the spike, pain becoming his world as he was forcibly dragged back along the cobbles by an already painful wound. By the time he reached Seph, his face was scraped up and tear were streaming down his face.

"Of course you'd be a thief..."

Seph loomed over him, his eyes glowing purple in the shadows. Slowly, he descended, crouching down to be closer to the thief's level.

"No toheroa at all, Ngoikore."

A single claw stretched out towards the thief and he visibly trembled, even as the razor edge sliced off the button of his overcoat, then the second, the third, all the way to the sixth before opening it. Underneath he wore a tunic, the left him close to the thigh missing a large chunk, and freshly so, given the fibres still there. From within his pocket, Seph drew out a matching scrap and slotted it perfectly in place.

In practiced fashion, Seph emptied out the thief's pockets, causing a rain of jewelry and gems to cascade to the ground. He pocketed them in his own and turned towards the still stunned fence, who clutched the brooch in her hand. Prying it out of her hand, he pocketed it as well. As he did so, she groaned and her eyelids fluttered. Standing up, he gave the thief a kick for him to get up; the response was a sob. Another kick and the thief was staggering upright, limping from the wound. He gave the fence a kick as well, but she was not so cowardly as the thief, rolling to the side and getting up on his feet. She swayed for a second, he eyes unfocused, but quickly recovered, drawing the knife at her belt.

"Back off, dogbreath," she said, the way she held the dagger showing she was no stranger to a fight.

Ignoring the insult, he advanced on her, forcing her to take a step back before gritting her teeth and darting in to stab him. There was a rasping of steel on steel before a snap and a clang as the low quality dagger blade flew off to the side. Seph had her by the wrist, having used his Riri steel bracer to deflect it and then grab her. Ignoring the loss of her blade, she brought her leg up to kick him only to be twisted so that her not yet fully extended foot dragged across his chest ineffectively, most the force transfer lost. No longer facing Seph, she was about to bring her heel up into what she assumed would be his most sensitive place only to stop before her toes had left the ground, a pained scream tearing it's way from her mouth. Warm blood trickled down her arm, the horizon of flesh broken by a jagged semicircle.

"Resist and I'll roast you alive, Reka," Seph said, after an audible swallow.

The fence shook violently, her legs giving out under her and held up by Seph. He took the lead, the cowed thief limping behind to keep from being wrenched forward by the spike in his thigh and the fence half-stumbling, half-dragged. The wolf-kin licked his blood-stained lips and strode purposefully to the constabulary, both in tow.

---

By the time he had collected the payment for the bounty for both thief and fence, as well as the reward for the return of the stolen good, it was nearing when Captain Jack would be available. Seph had already made up his mind that he was going - there was too much opportunity to be had. Passing the threshold several minutes past nine, it was easy to spot the ragtag crew that Jack had obtained and his flat cap in the midst of it all. He approached the group, grabbing an empty chair from a nearby table and spinning it around before climbing onto it, crouching down, and resting his cheeks on his fists and his elbows on the back of the chair. It was easy to tell that there was a distinct lack of food or drink at the table and who knew if their host was going to provide them with anything.

"If you're gonna get food Rangatira don't worry about me - I already ate."

As if to prove a point, he reached into his jacket and pulled out a long curved white rod that looked all too suspiciously like a rib bone and gnawed on the tip thoughtfully, his sharp teeth bared.

Last edited:
Mason was in a tavern when his letter arrived, him and a whole lot of heights-loving idiots singing songs while eating and taking in drinks. They were all having a merry time when one of the servers came over and planted the envelope before the young sky-sailor. His eyes widened as he took up the envelope. He'd never received a letter that wasn't marked in badly drawn hearts from his sister, and his mother's graceful cursive. He cut it open along the top with his knife, and took out the letter, his shipmates and fellow sky-sailors ignored him, as he set to reading.

By the time he was a done a great smile had crept across the young lad's face. He stood up and tossed a few bits of currency at the people he'd been with, "See ya fools, I've got an adventure on something that oughta pay better than anything we could get where we are now!" He exclaimed, bolting for the the room he had rented to grab his stuff, and pack. Also hoping to avoid questions.

Getting in his room, Mason packed up his bit of clothes, and a few journals full of his sketches. Then he took out a piece of paper, and took out a pen, writing out a letter to his family. He always made sure to tell them when he was taking up new employment, especially when it gave prospect for more pay. They always seemed to get a letter to him in return somehow, and he hoped it wouldn't be any different with this job. He went to the outside of the tavern and slid the note into a outgoing mailbox. Attached to it was the fee to send it, and the address.

Then he began walking towards Pete Pub, he'd rent a room for the night in order to be ready for tomorrow...

The next morning when the lad woke up, and was quick to dress himself and get ready. He didn't WANT to wait until nine... but he could just sit and pass the time with his journals. And so he did, waiting a long, long time until around a quarter til nine, and left his room, easily finding the rest of the crew that had seemed to assemble near one man at a table, who fit the letter's description quite well. Mason went over and joined them, a suppressed, yet excited smile hiding under his closed lips.

Last edited:

Soren Vilhjalmsson
Career: Personal Chef|Location: Pete's Pub

"Soren! Soren what did I hear about this letter?!"

"Why did you call for a carriage? Where are you going?!"

Two six year old twin boys, both with identical color auburn messy hair falling over their emerald eyes, stepped onto the footstep of the carriage, holding onto the sides of it with dear life. The older one by thirty seconds leaned in further to try and take a glimpse at the letter placed on Soren's lap.

"That's a pretty picture of a ship. Are you going on a ship Soren?" he asked, tilting his head at the diagram as he reached for it. "Who sent it to you?"

"You dummy. The 'aptain must have sent it!"

"...you think maybe a pirate captain?!"

Both boys grinned at each other before shouting "Cool!" together.

Soren only smiled, tucking long strands of sunshine blond hair behind a single ear. His cheeks, forever blushed pink, seem to shine underneath the oil street lantern, the illuminating beacon that was the start of his new journey and adventure. While his adopted sons were complaining about the prospect of Soren leaving, the personal chef was inwardly rejoicing at the opportunity. It had been a good few months since Soren had a real job and money was finally running tight in the household. His last job, a personal chef for an elderly Baroness with extreme food allergies, sadly came to end as the woman died peacefully in her sleep after consuming her favorite meal asked by her for Soren to make. Unfortunately, the dying wish the woman wanted from Soren caused unwanted trouble and rumors surrounding Soren and his food.

It took a month long investigation to determine the woman died of naturally causes and not of Soren's food or an accidentally slip-up of a food allergen in her food. But, the rumors of Soren's food killing the woman didn't stop cycling in the streets. Each resume and interview came to the same ending, the rumors winning over his potential employees instead of the report clearing Soren's name.

As a result, Soren had to take a lesser paid job at a brothel. The embarrassment of his classical culinary skill being put to work on working women and desperate men nearly ate at Soren's heart. But with kids needing the essential, and their lifestyle in the public eye needing to be maintained, Soren had to accept what he had to do.

"Sir, it is nearly 8:45pm," the driver told, checking his pocket watch. The chestnut grunted, stopping her hooves. "Are you ready to head off?"

Soren turned to his boys and hugged them both tightly, his eyes glancing up at their quaint Victorian at the very end of the cobblestone street.

"Sir Vega will be taking you two in. You remember him, right? He was your tutor in reading and writing," Soren said, giving his two boys an extra hug. "He should be arriving right when I leave. Make him comfortable, listen to what he has to say, remember the house rules...and go to school! I don't want you two going back to that urchin life, okay?"

The twins stepped down onto the paved sidewalk and nodded. The older looked down at his shiny brown shoes and the other gazed up at Soren with teary eyes.

"Sore--Dad...come back soon and safe," the teary son said as the carriage began it's journey to Pete's Pub. "Bye! Bye! We'll be good!"

"Bye Dad! Bring us back stuff!" the other twin called next.

They stood, waving their hands in unison in matching white coats as the chestnut horse carriage carried away their only stable adult in their life.

Soren stood outside Pete's pub wearing a simple burgundy turtleneck with a leather vest on the outside, dark brown slacks and leather bound boots with silver tips. A silver chain was wrapped around his neck with a silver bell connecting to it and resting against his upper chest. Soren quickly tied his blond hair into a very messy, loose bun before grabbing his single luggage and walking inside.

The letter instructed him to not get too ahead, but Soren was determined to get this job on the ship. While his culinary practice wasn't specifically meant to be catering a crew on an exploration ship, Soren knew this job was a matter of life how it is now or a sudden downgrade in social class.

He spotted the flat cap Captain surrounded by what seemed to a growing crew. Soren closed his eyes and took several deep breaths before making his approach.

Squeezing himself between to two giant human men, all Soren gave was a shy smile to the Captain and kept as quiet as possible. He carefully placed his luggage down, his ears twitching at the clanks of drinks being prepared at the bar. The crew was an odd bunch of human and animal-kins, all showing their personalities by their outfits. Soren looked down at his, wondering if his outfit was a bit too casual and not really showing that he was a pretty popular chef before the incident.
Whenever he caught a glimpse of somewhere staring at him, Soren looked away, holding his wrist tightly against the front of his body. He then shook his head.

No, don't look all scared in front of the Captain, he thought.

He relaxed his body, posturing himself in a casual stance and tried his best to look warm and comforting. It was extremely difficult for a timid man like Soren to look comfortable and confident around strangers, especially ones that looked to be very skilled in whatever talent they had. Doubt of his own skill kept crossing his mind as Soren would scan each person in the circle, making mental notes of stories of each.

Stop that. The Captain personally sent you a letter for this opportunity. He clearly knows about your skill as a chef. You do too.

When will the drinks be served? He wasn't much of a drinker, but liquid courage was needed for a time like this.

4a81d3082be5a8c6a49821e24be0ac18.jpg

Eloise Kai Connelly

Hearing footsteps approach them, one of Eloise's ears turned a bit towards the sound and she turned her head in response, seeing two strange characters. One, a human man who reeked of tobacco and the other a short gray girl with mechanical arms. A strange pair indeed. Eloise studied them, taking into account the man's pipe, the Urdin's hands, and her sash. She found those to be the most important things to keep track of concerning the two, despite the Urdin girl being rather intriguing. She watched in silence as the man removed his hat and bowed to them, accidentally causing some ash to fall from his pipe, and greeted them. Doctor, huh? I can imagine that. She thought to herself, watching as he went and shook hands with everyone. Well... almost everyone. Seeing him look at the pink-haired women, then ignore her and shake hands with Eloise amused her. When he shook her hand, Eloise offered him a polite smile and shook back. "Pleasure to meet you Doctor. I am Eloise Connelly." She greeted before he released her hand and returned to his original position. The strange Urdin girl walked up to him moments after the greeting, soft clanks coming from within her sash. What's in there? Spare parts? She wondered, watching the girl as she looked over everyone. That gaze, however, stopped on Eloise and she was taken aback. No one had ever really stared at Eloise, she had merely been a servant her entire life so such things never happened. It was new, but Eloise showed no signs of it being so. She stood the same as before, meeting the gaze of the Urdin girl. Her eyes however, flickered to the Doctor as he introduced her. Myo... She repeated the name in her head, focus now on the girl again. "Please to meet you Myo. I am Eloise Connelly." She said, her tone polite and calm. Eloise advanced towards the Urdin and took one of her hands, shaking it a little. Shaking a mechanical hand felt strange, however, Eloise merely smiled kindly, released after three shakes, and backed up.

After a few mere minutes, Eloise smelled canine and turned to see a wolf Ani-Kin making his way towards them. She watched as he grabbed a chair and just plopped down, saying how he'd already eaten and pulling a bone from his jacket. Displeased with his lack of respect and courtesy, Eloise made a soft 'tsk' noise with her tongue before approaching him closer. "Good evening. I'm Eloise Connelly." She greeted, holding her hand out for him to shake. She waited and whether he did or not, Eloise offered a polite smile and returned to her station. No seemed to have much cared for the hooker looking girl, she stood beside, and Eloise didn't know whether to feel bad or understand. Sure she dressed like as one, but was that really the case? Looking over at the girl, Eloise studied her in silence. After doing so, she smiled kindly at the women and stepped a bit closer to engage in conversation without being too loud. "It would appear many see you as a hooker, ma'am. I don't think that's quite correct, though. Would you care to explain yourself?" She asked, staring at the women from the corner of her eyes. While she awaited an answer, Eloise saw a human boy approach them and found herself staring at his appearance. He looked.... Eloise cleared her throat in embarrassment, her cheeks slightly red. Looks like a mix between a farmer's son and a doll is what he looks like. Nothing else! She scolded herself, forcing her eyes to look away from the guy. A new male smell now found it's way towards her. With this one carried nervousness and uncertainty. It was close too. Using her nose, she tracked the scent to a man with white hair tied up in a bun. He looked innocent almost, standing there. Abandoning the pink-haired women for a short while, Eloise approached the two guys that just showed up and smiled at them both as she greeted them and shook their hands. Common courtesy. With that finished, she returned to her post beside the women just before a waitress came over bearing two trays with drinks on them. Eloise thanked the waitress and took two mugs which she carried over to Captain Jack and his aide. "Hope you like alcohol." She said, handing them the mugs with a slight smile. Now that the two most important people had their mugs, Eloise waited by them as everyone else grabbed a mug before she grabbed the last one the waitress held. With a final thank you, the waitress left and Eloise checked the time. It was now fifteen past nine. After taking a small drink, Eloise turned to the man in charge. "Captain Jack. It's been fifteen minutes since nine and we've yet to hear a word about why we're here. if you would, may you, please explain to us?" She asked, staring at the man directly. Elosie was interested in what he had to say and why they were all there, so she wanted to know as soon as possible. It seemed also that, if not everyone, most people were here and it was the others fault for being late. They could be briefed afterwards. At least that's what Eloise thought.

Reactions: Petricus Euryale
KaCHUNK. Click click click click click. KaCHUNK.

But even with the automobile cranked all the way up, Brett still had to hunch over to inspect the underside. The poor thing had been found abandoned in a field past two broken fences and a dented sign post. It had been brought to their shop yesterday as "probably scrap, but wait a bit if the owner comes to claim it." At the time, Brett had lamented such a piece of beauty had been trashed, but it was good scavenging and they were sure to be able to use or sell quite a few of the parts -- a few of the seats were still good, and metal always went a long way. Only today, someone had come to claim it with the paperwork to match and a demand that they get her fixed up within a week.

"So?" his partner James asked. They had opened up Axlent Engines together some five years back, and promised the best repairs for anything with an engine. Oh, they'd take in other things too, if they thought they could repair them, but their specialty was definitely vehicles. Both of them had the know how to fix just about anything, James had an artistic touch which brought in reconstruction jobs all the time, and Brett had the business sense to know when they ought to deal (which was most of the time), and when they had to refuse a job.

This though ... "They should scrap it," Brett concluded. "Look there," he pointed at a ruptured pipe hanging out at an odd angle, "and there," where the housing for the light was totally shattered. "We should turn them away."

"They said price was no objection."

And this was why the car was still in their shop and not brought somewhere else. First of all, this piece had been an engineering beauty, and Brett wanted to put his hands all over it. Second, if they wanted a proper reconstitution of the exterior, James was certainly the right person. Third, the money, the no-ceilings bill, was almost too good to pass up, especially because forth, the annual license fees for keeping their repair shop open were coming up. Oh, they would have to shuffle around a couple other projects, but with what they would be charging for this one, they could more than cover the discounts they'd have to make to appease others.

Still, Brett shook his head. It baffled him, really, that anyone could think this worth the expense. "Ten thousand. They would do it?"

James waved at the air. "Ten thousand, twenty thousand ... It doesn't matter to them, but that's hardly what I meant. Are you going?"

Ah. "You're worried about taking this job on alone," Brett teased. Yesterday, a letter had arrived specifically for Brett and not for Axlent Engines, and that was what James was referring to now.

"Well, there is that," James admitted, "But you saw the diagram same as I did. That ship has to be gorgeous. Tell me you are going."

Brett positively grinned. "Of course, and you should come. Maybe there will be an extra spot onboard."

To that his partner shook his head. "You're the only one who has lost his head. You know very well my opinion of feet. They belong on the ground."

"Well, maybe they'll have her parked outside the pub."

James barked a laugh. "I'll come for the drink. Goodness knows it's the best way to start a job like this off." And then they got to work because they perhaps didn't have that much time left together, and there was quite a bit of work to be done.

At half past seven, the doors all opened and closed properly, though they were all still scratched up and the ones on the left side were still badly dented. The engine was halfway through being reworked, and it would probably have been dangerous to leave it in that state were it not for the fact they had unhooked it entirely from any source of energy. However, the stomachs had already been growling a half hour which meant they really ought to stop.

"It's time I left," James announced, jerking his head toward the group that had been gathering. "If I'm not wrong, your night is just starting." They clinked their drinks together one last time -- James a beer and a strawberry daiquiri for Brett -- and downed them.

"Suppose you're right." They both pulled coins from their pockets, slapping them onto the table to cover for their meals and drinks. Perhaps they were celebrating a bit too early, but between the letter and the new job to take on, the future seemed promising.

It was quite the group. Humans and animal-kin mostly, though there was the Urdin. There were the fashionable sort, the military sort. Those that seemed sure of themselves, or at least of protocol, and those that didn't. Oh, it was clear, especially from his vantage point, that they were centered on Captain Jack, but Brett didn't quite squeeze his way in to make his own introduction. Instead, he sauntered just to the outside of the group, casually joining next to one of the quieter ones. "Excited?" he asked. "Or nervous?"

Erica Lanly

She raised an eyebrow curiously at the little animal-kin.

"Do you think that a hooker could afford clothes like these?"

It was true. While her clothes were not decent by other people's standards, and revealed too much skin, and exemplified her physical attributes, and the makeup could be mistaken for trying to look attractive for others rather than herself. But the materials were the highest quality. The needlework was unmatched, though Erica doubted that the animal-kin girl would notice such fine and precise work. The golden pocket watch was far too expensive for any lady of the night to afford. Besides... As much as Erica enjoyed using her looks to make men sweat and get them to do what she wants, she had never taken a guy to bed before. If she was hooker then being a virgin was a clear sign that her business was failing. But of course the girl had no way of knowing about THAT.

"Don't worry, little one. I'm sure whatever noble you serve would identify such craftsmanship with ease." She smirked. "I am Lady Erica Lanly of the Lanly house, heiress to the Lanly fortune, and this city's biggest benefactor. Perhaps you've heard of my father? Lord Wilhelm Locklart Lanly?"

If this girl had heard of him then it was by name only. Of course, her father was famous. For his money, wealth, and prestige. And also for his lose lifestyle, foreign trading policies, and workforce ethics... As well as his drinking and driving. Off hand Erica found herself recalling how her father had crashed more automobiles then anyone else in the city had ever owned. In fact, he had recently been looking into investing in some workshop. An Axlent Engines or something of that sort. Erica was unsure if she was remembering the name correctly. Her father was around very little and talked about things that often bored her. No doubt her father would test their metal, so to speak, and see how well they could repair one of his most expensive cars. If they did well then they would not only be paid handsomely for the repairs but their meager company would receive enough funding to allow them to branch out to repairing train engines and fixing steamboats and even working on airships. Of course, working on an airship is something that Erica had always dreamed of. She had also always dreamed of going somewhere that her father was yet to spoil and taint.

"Do you have a name or should I just call you servant girl-" Erica paused. "My apologies. I was being rude and uptight. My father used to scold me terribly for behaving in such a way. And I tend to get a little bothered by people calling me a hooker." It happened more often than one would think. But then any self thinking woman was put down in today's society. "Please, accept my sincerest apologies."

With more newcomers showing up, Karl moved aside so they could introduce themselves, and he didn't like to be in close quarters with so many people.

He could tell that some of said newcomers were either cautious of him or creeped out. Which was to be expected. Afterall, he was the only one wearing a mask. A part of him wanted to take off the mask, but then another part of him suppressed the urge.

It was probably for the best if he didn't show his face.

As taking off the mask would mean the large group of strangers would see his scars, or even try and talk to him. It wasn't that he hated to talk to people. It was just.....How would some people put it? Socially awkward. As due to years of living/working on ships, Karl has little to no experience in picking social cues. That he was deathly afraid he would end up offending someone by asking a question in the wrong manner.

Eventually, Karl moved so he was at the back of the group. Hoping that he would be left alone. That is until someone walked up next to him. Asking if he was excited or nervous. Karl merely replied with a quite awkward. "Uh......A mixture of the two......?" After that, he sat down in a chair. In order to wait for Captain Jack to speak up.​

Status
Not open for further replies.