A little family reunion

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PunkPrince

Original poster
Kenny groaned and rolled over in bed as he heard someone knocking on his door. "He recognized the voice as his grandmother, who was, as usual, shouting at him in Thai. "Hey! Kathoey! Get out of bed!" She rarely ever spoke in English, at least not to him. Especially not now. His grandmother's house doubled as a foster home, though most of the recent group of children had left. The only one left aside from himself was a seven year old girl named Mabel who, like Kenny and his grandmother, was also of Thai descent. For someone who had never been to Thailand she had managed to pick up the language quite quickly over the four years she had been staying with them. Of course, Kenny had never been to Thailand either, but he had spent his entire life being raised by his grandmother, who had been born there.

He stumbled out of bed, his vision slightly blurred from his lack of glasses. He slipped his glasses on and gazed around his bedroom. It was a complete mess. His various makeup compacts were scattered across his dresser, and the high heels he had worn while out with friends the previous night were lying on the floor. A long black wig was lying next to them, and his grandmother's affectionate teasing rang in his ears. Kathoey. Ladyboy. She had never been bothered by his drag. She had embraced it amazingly for someone as old as she was.

Kenny shoved the clothes on his floor aside and rummaged through his closet for something to wear. He eventually settled on a pair of jeans and a black button up shirt. He shrugged when he looked down at his hands and realized that his fingernails were still painted with the glittery red polish he had put on the night before. He doubted that there was time to take it off now, and besides, he thought it looked nice.

He was supposedly meeting his father and half siblings today. Kenny knew nothing about any of them. His father hadn't been around when he had been born, and he wasn't mentioned around the house. Kenny got the feeling that his grandmother didn't like his father much. The only reasoning she'd given as to why he was being welcomed into their house was "Mali would have wanted it." Surely his father wasn't all bad if his mother had loved him that much?

Kenny had never met his mother either. She had died giving birth to him. He had seen pictures of her, though. She had been a short, thin, pale woman, with dark hair similar to his own. Her eyes had been green though, leaving Kenny to wonder where his dark eyes were from. His grandmother had told him things about her too, how she had loved makeup and all things related to fashion, but his grandmother always seemed so sad when he asked, so as he grew older he simply stopped asking things.

He shuffled out of his bedroom and had to dart out of the way to avoid being slammed into by Mabel, who had been running down the hall. The girl abruptly skidded to a halt and then said in English, "Sumalee told me to tell you that your eggs are ready!" before turning and running back the way she had come. Kenny followed the girl into the kitchen and sat down at his usual place at the table. His grandmother sat a plate of scrambled eggs down in front of him, which he quickly thanked her for.

"Your friends coming over today Kenny?" she asked him, and Kenny raised an eyebrow, slightly surprised by her question. He shrugged. "Tommy probably will. He always does. I was supposed to do my first booked show tonight but I asked to have it moved to tomorrow because...you know." He didn't want his father and siblings to see him doing drag right away. He felt like it might cause trouble. "Lita will probably show up later tonight, we were supposed to go with Tommy and watch Cherie perform. Unless you don't want me to. I can stay here."

He said he could stay, but he really didn't want to. He had been watching his drag mother perform since before she had started teaching him. He liked going out with his friends. Tommy Gunn, whose real name was Haley Porter, was a drag king as well as the first friend Kenny had made watching drag shows. He hadn't known Lita Riot as long, he had only met her a year ago, when she had been picked up by the same drag mother as him. Lita's real name was Cody Rodriguez, though none of them ever actually called her by it, or used male pronouns. It was very rare for any of them to call each other by their given names. When they had first met they had all wound up introducing themselves with their stage names because of the settings, and it had stuck. Kenny was almost always Lucy, even as a skinny boy with glasses, Lita was always Lita--though she had been Lita Winters before Cherie had started teaching her, Tommy was always Tommy, and Cherie was always Cherie. At least to them.

"You can go," the older woman said. "But maybe you should take them with you if they want to go." Kenny sighed. He really didn't want to take his father and stepsiblings to a drag show. It was probably a bad idea. He thought his father had a lot of nerve to come back. Kenny didn't particularly care about meeting him. He had gotten along just fine without him for the past nineteen years, he really didn't need his father now. He would try to get along with them at least, if only for the sake of his dead mother.

Liam had not been happy about having to move, he had grown up in the house they left behind, but the ever good son he had taken all the news with a easy smile.
His sister had groaned and moaned about the half-brother.
"Really dad? Another boy? Like we need another boy.."
But she were always complaning about her brothers so the kid were more or less already part of the family.
The reall problem had been from James, who at first refused to pack anything from his room, then once their father had started doing it for him he had tried to put everything back again.
It had taken some time to get the youngest to be okay with the idea of moving.
He were never specialy good with change.
When their mother had died he had taken it hardest, Liam was ashamed to admit that while he did miss her it did not feel much diferent from when she were away at work.
She had been a flightatendent and would be away from home more then she were there.
Just as the car trip to their new home did not feel any diferent from any other they had taken.
Father in the front seat driving with a slightly grim look on his face.
Liam next to him quiet and relaxed, and very much bored, not that he would tell his father that.
In the back there were Chris, on her phone talking a mile a minute about the "drag of moving, I think I left my favorite shirt behind."
And James with his nose in the old gameboy he had dug out from Liams old stuff, the wolume tunred up as high as it could go.
"Hey, listen."
Ben sudenly spoke up and as if on cue the car grew quiet.
"I know this is a big adjustment for you all but try to behave okay? She is kind enough to take us in during our time of need and the least we can do is be on our best behavior."
"We will father."
Liam promised stright away and two groans were heard from the back were James went back to his game and Chris to her phone.
"No I dont know, dad wanting us to behave for this freaky family we are staying with. No my dad's old wife mother or something. Yeah I know. Yeah, a half brother. I know right! I said the same thing!"
Oh how Liam loved family trips...

(That okay?)

(Yeah, but could you put a blank line between your paragraphs? It's easier for me to read that way.)

Kenny continued poking at his food, eventually pushing the plate back and looking toward Mabel, who was close to finishing her own food. "You can eat my eggs if you want," he said to her. "I'd rather let you have them than throw them out." He stood up, smiling as he watched the girl eagerly dumping his eggs onto her plate. He shuffled slowly about the kitchen and over to the sink to wash his dishes, listening to his grandmother pull open the door.

He didn't want to meet his father. He didn't need him, or his half siblings. He didn't care. He had all the family he needed already. He was quite happy with his grandmother and Mabel and Cherie and Lita and Tommy. Sure, it wasn't a nuclear family, more of just a hodge podge, but it had always served him just fine. As long as he didn't have to go through life totally alone, he would be just fine. Without somebody who hadn't bothered with him his entire life.

Sumalee pulled open the door. "Hello Ben" she said, giving him what was very obviously a false smile, but tossing a real one towards his children. "Hello." She didn't like the man, she had no idea what her daughter had seen in him, but his kids hadn't done anything. They simply existed. Like Kenny. He hadn't done anything for his father to abandon him. He had never asked to be born to a mother who would die shortly after, along with an absent ghost of a father. But Mali would have wanted her son to know his father.

"Come in," she said, stepping aside. "We can get your things from the car later." She let them to the kitchen. "Have you all eaten breakfast yet?"

Kenny was drying off the plate and placing it off to the side as the group walked in. Mabel had just finished her food and was taking the dish to the sink. She grinned up at the man and older boys. "Hi!" she greeted. "My name is Mabel! That's Kenny over there." She pointed at him.

Kenny looked up and fixed his glasses. "You shouldn't point at people, Mabel," he said. It was more of a side thought, not something he would normally say. He just wanted to put off talking to his father and half brothers. "Hi," he said, looking over at them. "I'm Kenny."

Status
Not open for further replies.