A Life Worth Living

Status
Not open for further replies.
She hadn't answered the question. If there were someone to contact about her. There wasn't. Hannah had been raised by her grandparents, both of which passed on several years ago. She didn't have any other family. All of her contact with friends faded over the years while she was married, and since the divorce... It was her own fault really, not making an effort to reach out to people.

Hannah watched from the car as he went inside to make the orders. Tugging his jacket tightly around her shoulders as she slid lower in her seat. She remembered him as a stupid kid, just a few years younger than her. A real pain in the ass for all of his teachers, and thinking he had no other choices. Now here he was, a cop, caring for some lunatic lady like it was an everyday part of his job. She cracked a small smile.

Once Matt returned, she accepted the cup of coffee with a soft thank you. A few sips later she was sighing, and almost feeling a little more normal. Not so manic or hysterical.

"How did you change your life, Matty?" she asked in a soft mumble.

He smiles at her and tilts his head a little on the right, pondering at her words. She is right, he has change since the last time they have met. He was an asshole, even had a crush on her and with a stupid coming from his friends, tried to bed her to show his superiority to his friends. Nothing work none the less, but now he is an officer of the law, trying to help people and giving them a second chance like he had. He chuckles and takes a sip from his own cup of coffee before answering her. "To be honest, I changed after meeting you. You were the first to never let me down and continue to help even after I was a total stupid jerk on you." He blushes and starts the engine, driving toward an unknown location for the moment, just talking with her. "After the semester, I mostly end up alone once again. I had my friends, but none of them were real ones."

He sighs and frowns. "So I decided to do something, to try to change myself. I entered a Muay Thai training, helped me focus my anger and rage toward something. I stops skipping class and starts doing my lesson." He chuckles. "I did all this mostly to show all of them that they were wrong and you were right not to give up on me." He offers a shy smile. "It was hard, I won't lie, to change all those bad habits, but I think I succeed." He parks his car in an entrance of a small house. "Because of your words and tenacity when I was jerk, I was able to have this." He points at the small and quite cozy house. "Not the big house.. but it's mine." He returns his emerald eyes on her. "I promise myself to one day.. I find you and show you the result of your efforts, I wish it wasn't like this." He opens the door and smiles at her from outside. "Come, I show you the interior and we will be able to talk alone."

He held her in such a high regard, one that she didn't feel she deserved. The warmth and genuine tenor of his words had her cheeks flushing red just a twinge. It was strange to know someone had thought about her for this long, but oddly pleasing. If just a little bit embarrassing.

Hannah climbed out of the car, delicately balancing her coffee in the process. "It does look like a very nice house." she commented, still being at loss for words. She followed him up the path and to the door, nibbling on her lip until she finally found what she wanted to say.

"I haven't... felt anything like that for a very long time. Hope and faith in something? I'm not sure where I lost it. But I'm glad that for a time I could give it to you. I didn't know I made that much of a difference to anyone."

Mathew smiles and glances toward her when he reaches the front door of his house. "We don't lose hope and faith, we just forget that they existed and got entwine into our ...own..sadness." He shakes his head and pass his hand in his black hair, trying to chase away the little blush on his cheek after saying this. "I mean...I was like you when you help me, it is normal that I offer you the same help in return." He unlocks the door and opens it, letting her enter first, like a gentleman should do. "Please don't mind the little...disorder around the couch...I'm...well." He chuckles. "I wasn't thinking to bring someone back to my place today.." He blushes even more. "Not..that..oh god that sound so like the most cheezy pick up line ever…." He stops talking and rubs the back of his neck, this nervous quirk that he has. He follows her inside the house and points at the rooms around them. "There is my couch...with my...like you can see I'm a fan of video game, so I have a few console near the tv." He points at the second room. "Kitchen and dinner room." He points at the third room on the first floor. "training room where I let all the anger or sadness expel from myself. Maybe you should try that...if you want." He says shyly before pointing at the stair that go toward the second floor. "On the second floor, we have my bedroom and a small study." He chuckles again. "Yes..I have a study, I'm continuing my education at the same time..trying to get a certificate in criminology, help me in my daily job and open me a few more opportunities."

He walks and sits one of the bean chair in the living room, smiling at her. He puts his own coffee on the coffee table. "This is my little heaven and I couldn't have it without you pounding in my brain that I need to do something of my life. So thank you, Hannah" He smiles at her and takes a sip from his coffee. "Sit, make yourself comfortable. "He points in the direction of a big couch or another bean chair near the tv. "I must admit one thing first. I have to keep you under watch for twenty four hours, to make sure nothing will happen bad to you." He mumbles. "So don't be mad, it was the only condition my superior give me if I wanted to keep you away from all the other trouble. So this will be your home for the next twenty four hour and I, Mathew, will try to be a good...host." He smiles and sips again on his coffee.

"It would have been naive to think I could walk away from that bridge with all those people watching and not have some sort of consequences to deal with..." she replied, at least with a tone of good humor. If it weren't for him, she would likely be in a hospital right that moment, locked in a room until they felt it was safe to let her leave. For that she was grateful. Someone she at least had some familiarity with was a little easier to deal with than strangers.

Hannah crossed the room and took a slow seat on the couch. She sat half on the edge, with her knees together, and feet the same but tilted to the side. She sat like a lady. Her coffee cup was held with both her hands, a paper shield to sip from.

"You've made a really nice life for yourself. What about family and friends?" She had surmised by now that he lived alone. There were no signs of a roommate or live in spouse.

The young cop takes a sip from his own cup of coffee and ponders at the question, feeling a litle blush coming on his cheek for a short instant. It is quite easy to see that Mathew lives alone in his small house, not that he is shy or ashamed of this. He doesn't have found anyone to be with, a few adventure time to time when he was in college to become a cop, a few friends in the service that offers him a good moment, but not any love or relationship that are really serious. He glance around his living room and puts the cup on the small table near him, pondering about the question. " The friends I had in high school or even a little after ditch me.." He sighs and chuckles. "It seems that the funny rebel type, was mostly there to entertainment them and gives them a chance to laugh at someone in a worst situation than them. Since I decided to take my own destiny in my hands, they didn't like the fact that I become someone...interesting and good for once." He chuckles and smiles at Hannah. "I can assure you it was funny the first time I busted one of my old friends for high speed on the road." He grins and leans back. "For my family, my dad isn't around here anymore, he lefts me and my mom a long time ago." He pass his hand in his black hair, his emerald irises on her. "For my mom, I sent her a few cards time to time, but she's with her ..." He ponders and shrugs. "Well..she married herself with a new man, a good man, but I was and I'm still the black sheep that she doesn't like to show...around..a mistake she made." He laughs. "We are in touch and thing are going good..."
He stops and sighs. "See...me...I'm all talking and no listening. I'm sorry..." He empties his cup of coffee and smiles at her. "I know it must be hard..for you to talk about what happen today." He doesn't move from his spot, offering her a soft smile in sign of encouragement. He wasn't the best in this kind of situation and he is even surprise that he didn't say the wrong thing and push her over the edge. His quirk comes back rapidly, rubbing the back of his neck before passing his hand in his unshaven chin. "Maybe we can talk a little, trying to put back the pieces of this strange puzzle..." He stops and sighs. "I won't try to force you to speak, Miss Hannah."

"I really don't know where to even start..." she admitted. Trying to explain just what happened that day would be simple, but one day's events really didn't seem to be enough to send a woman jumping off the local bridge.

Hannah set her cup of coffee down and settled back on the sofa. She felt cold, it being more of an emotional thing than a temperature one. One of her hands raised up to her mouth and she chewed on her thumbnail thoughtfully, trying to piece it all together in a way he could understand. Even she didn't understand herself most of the time.

"I was raised by my grandmother, but she passed a few years ago. Hmm. I was married for a few years and it didn't work out. He has my house. I live in a motel now and have not been able to find a job. ...this is such a simplified story. It feels a little strange to actually talk about myself and I am not even sure why!" she confessed.

Mathew smiles at her when he hears her open herself to him, even if it is only a few words to him, it will help him create a bridge between them and opens a new relationship of trust with her. He nods and stays silent while she explains her simplified version of the story for the moment. He can't resist to expel a soft chuckle from his lips and smiles at her. "The simplified version will due for now, Hannah." He blushes a little and pass his hand in his black hair, moving them to the back of his neck. "I can call you Hannah.."
He smiles shyly." I mean...it is a little strange..since you were my teacher..." He chuckles. "But a good strange to have seen you again, I would have love in a better situation." He stops and lowers his green eyes on the floor for a second. He takes his cups of coffee and sips from him, giving him time to think a little about what he will say next. He feels sad and angry for her, she has lost everything and now she's living in a motel. He glances around him and bites the interior of his cheek. "Don't feel strange about talking about yourself." He looks at her. "I feel the same most of the time." He offers her a soft smile again. "For how long have you been...drifting." He uses this word and smiles. "You are living in a motel, unable to find a job..." He frowns and looks around, trying to find something to help her. "So..we need to find a better place to stay." He smiles. "A place that you will be able to call your own again."

Hannah was tired and it was starting to show in her features and the way she wearily rubbed at her eyes. She laughed softly and gave a shrug of her shoulders.

"I think it's been almost a year now. All of my credit cards are maxed out and I have no savings left. I've been doing maid service lately to pay for my room." she shrugged her shoulders, looking rather defeated about the entire thing.

"I can't really afford to go somewhere else without a stable job. It's not anything you need to worry about, though. You've already done enough."

Mathew stands up and smiles at her. "Well, it seems we have found our first new goal, we will have to work to find you a better job and a more stable one." He glances around him and sighs. "I think I have an old friend that have a mattress, I'm sure I can borrow him the mattress for a few days, it will be better then to sleep on the couch, even if I find my couch..quite cozy." He glances back at her. "I will not force you to stay here.." He chuckles. "But I'm offering you a place to stay, I can move my desk from my study, you can have that room for yourself, a place that you may start to call your own for real, not living in a motel."
He chuckles. "It is the base of the Maslow's hierarchy of needs." He grins. "And yes..I'm sure you are impress that the bully, inattentive kid knows about that." He laughs softly, trying to ease once again the atmosphere around them. "You'll have the food, air and water that you need in here and I will help you create the place safety and together we will work to find a way to give you a good job." He walks near him and reaches for her hand. "It is my turn to help you Hannah and I'm quite stubborn and will not accept no for an answer."

Status
Not open for further replies.