A Lark Is Not Always A Bird...

Two For One Special...

Nearly bipolar?

More like a dad who sometimes found the need to balance cheery affection with quiet discipline. Pomp with circumstance. Yin with yang. Or something on that order. The Creators had been careful to not only create their Nism to enjoy perfect physical health, but also perfect mental health. Tempered with the fact they could suffer physical and mental pain. Feel the full range of emotions, while their Free Spirits kept them in balance. Or, perhaps in this case, a bit of teeter-totter.

Yes, sometimes Nism couldn't make up their minds. Didn't mean they were bipolar. Just meant they...

... well.

And yes, Nism tended to become independent in their "teen" years, the advent of puberty being pretty much an indicator of adulthood, far as their cultural "norms" were concerned. In the same way sex was considered saying "I do" in terms of Life Partnerships. Though that really came about due to the whole musk-marking/biology thing. Which is what really made the whole thing between Avira and Kimba at their first meeting very, very awkward. But things were a bit less awk*.......

....... Kimba had remained silent yet close, let Avira "clear her system". And then! Seemed they were just beginning to "write" a new chapter to their own "story", when a sudden Ba-da-bing! Ba-da-boom! interrupted.......

To say Kimba was speechless would be an understatement. Hard to talk with his mouth hanging open and his eyes so wide...

... "Umma... ahhh..." He blinked, ruffled. Facepalmed, and took a deep, cleansing breath... "I'm Kimba."

At least now, they had a "proper" introduction. Though Kimba had no idea what to expect from this new female, "Prim", other than lots and lots of words. And an unexpected "two-for-one" special. At least for the time being, yes, he had two females to handle. Very, very awkward.......

Avira collected herself very quickly, and she cut her 'friend' off before things got too out of hand, which would happen very quickly if she had simply sat by and let the female talk away abut anything and everything she could think of.

"Ah, Prim, when exactly did you get here?"

The silvery female turned her head a bit to get a better look at Avira, that same sweet smile plastered onto her pristine white muzzle that faded into a silvery gray. It was almost like she was made of tinsel, just without all the sparkle. Her arms and legs were varying shades of purple, ranging from plum to lavender. They were well blended so it changed with the angle of view.

"Oh I was going to ask you that Avvy. I thought you were still hanging around at your place. Didn't know you would be leaving out for here any time soon. "

Avira just stuck her tongue out lazily at Prim before redirecting her attention back to Kimba, a nervous smile crossing her features for a moment.

"Ah, Kimba. This is my... ah... friend. Prim. Haven't seen her for a few years at best."

"It's true. She abandoned me. Left me all on my lonesome."

"I did not!"

They were certainly close friends, even after not having been around each other for almost three years on end. Avira was a lot different around Prim, it seemed like she was a whole other Nism. She was a bit more care-free and more light-hearted with her words. But prim was wild and completely oblivious to how safety worked.

Avira shook her head idly from side to side, as if she disapproved of Prim's childish claim, even though she was just playing around, come to think of it at this point they both were.

"Prim makes a lot of wild claims. Don't mind them, she's a bit loopy..."

"Avvy you're crazy. I don't know how you got yourself such a dashing young man."

"Right~ That's why you're still searching the planet for one?"

Prim seemed to shrink back a bit, somewhat at a loss for words at Avira's comeback. She flashed a confident and satisfied smile at Prim, like she had just knocked the silvery female from her high perch and back down to the ground. Pulled her head from the clouds.

"Really is a bit of a buzzkill. Careful with her Kimba. She's a tough one..."

Last edited:
Prim and Proper...

Kimba dipped his head when introduced to Prim. And kept it down as Avira and her had their little "exchange", his discomfiture slowly changing to a quirked smile, a flare of all four nostrils as his ears remained neutral. Tail's tip, a-flick. Fur finally settled. And then Avira delivered the punch-line. And he found himself back in Prim's attentions. So, only thing he could do was deliver a proper reply...

... "I like tough. If she goes down too easy, there's no time to savor the experience."

Again, perhaps a daring thing to say, but Kimba was determined to keep up Avira's challenge. Plus, he liked seeing this new side. So he grinned, and then added...

... "I have a brother who's available."

With the end of his tongue sticking out, he did run the risk he'd end up biting it off.......

Prim gave a small but cheerful laugh, well... more of a giggle. But still, she was amused by the fact that it seemed Kimba was trying to set her up with his brother. Not that she wasn't interested, she was actually quite the opposite.

"Well why don't you introduce me next time you see him? I've got things to do, I did come for a party after all, couldn't help to try and spice things up!"

Prim was always one to try and turn anything into some kind of a party or a celebration, even if there was no reason to have one. She liked to have fun and be wild whenever she could. So, even away from home, she always brought a spark of excitement and fun to any event.

She flashed a cheeky grin to Avira before she pranced away, melding into the small crowd and mingling about with everyone else, trying to acquaint herself with as many other Nism as she could in the shortest amount of time possible.

"Well, you can certainly expect to see more of her in the future..."

Seemingly without reason, Avira moved over next to Kimba, gave a tug at his ear, and then she ran off, posing a chase to the male. She was still in a playful mood, and it was apparent that Prim had 'rubbed off' on Avira during the kit years. The female's figure appeared on the outer edge of the crowd, a devious smile across her muzzle as she sat perched by a tree, lights strung throughout it's branches.

Last edited:
Short Chase...

Kimba, tongue still intact for a wonder... yes, Kimba watched Prim go. He almost shouted: "Look for the camera guy!" But decided just to "send" her a simple nod. Indeed, his brother deserved to meet her. And he would indeed introduce Rass to her, if they didn't "bump" into each other during this barbecue shindig. Because the music had quite a few Nism dancing, sun up late for the summer as always, but still far enough down, evening could be considered "official". And given the waft of scent in the air, Deen hadn't wasted time with grill and food. Scent of cooking in the air.......

See more...?!

Well, if it made Avira this loose and playful, so be it. It wasn't that he didn't like Prim, just that he did like her. But he'd already answered Avira's challenge, and he wasn't a male who "played" between females. Well... heh... yes, he'd never had a girlfriend before, but he'd long ago determined, when his time came, he would pursue just one. Just a matter of finding that One. No, he wasn't sure Avira was "it", but, until he knew how serious... until he knew he hadn't blown it with her... he would stick to her like.......

....... oh, a chase!

Not long. Not far. But with kits at play and dancing couples with eyes only for each other, it took a bit of his own "dancing" to pursue Avira to where she posed by the light-decorated tree. He approached with a casual air, rubbed at his ear...

... "Strange, how we keep meeting each other..."

With very good reason, Kimba sat beside her, even closer than he had before, his hip touching hers, his shoulder brushing fur to fur...

... "I have a feeling that smile will surprise me." He gave her a quick nuzzle, then looked up at the tree-lights...

... "I know it's not mistletoe... still, very romantic." He fluffed all over... "Thanks for everything... for being here with me."

His eyes met hers, close enough to bump muzzles.......

She sat next to him, playing the romantic role as she figured she ought to. She let him get as close to her as he would dare, her tail overlaying his and pulled around him in the grass. Her gaze was softer and a bit more affectionate, but keep in mind that she was simply playing a role, acting the part given.

She tilted her head slightly, staring into his eyes as he was staring into hers. The tips of their noses nearly touched, but right when it seemed that something magical might happen, she darted up to her feet and pulled in front of him, knocking her tail right under him and knocking him sideways onto the ground.

"So close, yet so far."

A smug grin crossed her muzzle, a small but musical laugh escaping the female as she stood, staring down at the now overturned Nism.
Her tail curled behind her, orange plume flicking back and forth in the air, Avira clearly amused by her little escapade, having been well planned and thought out from the beginning.

Tripped Over...

Without intention, one "spell" changed from noses nearly touched, to Kimba, tripped over onto his back. Lying there, surprised. And yes, lying there, on his back, showing "everything". For the third time, scent of his musk in the air. A natural response to Avira's "spell"... her unintended magic. At least for him. So surprised his breathing came heavy as he oofed and purred. Obviously very... turned on. But...

... "Not so far I can't see you."

A laugh escaped his own chest as he looked over at himself, not so "turned on" he couldn't... ummm... put it away. But if she hadn't had a good look before, she'd had plenty now. Enough she might discover that he'd engraved his personal "mark" on his little gift. Despite a young male's desire to keep his "tattoo" a secret, it wasn't at all unusual for things like this to happen. Came from living in a culture where pants didn't exist.

Ahhh, Puberty, bane of all secrets!...

... "According to tradition, we're now officially engaged..."

He rolled over, stood up, shook himself, sat down, ruffled, then...

... "Want to dance?"

Ears back, sly mixed with sheepish grin, he made a bow to her, with a sweeping gesture towards the dancing couples. His heart, pounding.......

Avira, for the first time in all her life, was surprised herself. Her wild sense of humor had gotten the better of her and she had let out a second laugh, but this one had a little snort in the middle of it, which only made her laugh more. She covered her muzzle with both hands to try and stop her fit, but it was no use.

"I- I can't d-dance."

She spoke between laughs and giggles, the female resting on her stomach, elbows pressed into the grass and her tail beating down against it, her ears pressed flat against her head.

"You l- looked so- so ridiculous Kimba."

Not that she wasn't a bit concerned with the whole 'officially engaged' deal, but she was too pre-occupied with trying to ease her laughter. And no, she couldn't dance. She'd never taken the time to learn, it had never once even crossed her mind.But it seemed that this would come back to bite her because now she had been asked to dance, and she simply didn't know how to, what a predicament.

Just Can't Dance...

Ridiculous wasn't the word a male who had just shown his malehood to a female wanted to hear. Though Kimba did have to agree, knowing the look on his face from initial surprise to his dance offer had to be quite... amusing. And to be honest, his mentioning of "Tradition" wasn't so much a part of Nism culture as it had been part of Creator culture. A culture in which teenaged males of the species had their malehood tattooed deliberately, not naturally, as with their creation, the Nism. Said tattoo shown only to a female they wished to mate with, to bond. An... engagement ring, of sorts.

So, yes. "Tradition" would make Avira and Kimba now "betrothed". Though, given her laughter could be considered a rejection of his unintended "offer", said "betrothal" could be considered null and void...

... "Can't dance?"

Kimba gave her a raised eyebrow as his fur settled...

... "More a matter of haven't danced yet!" He grinned... "Because I haven't yet taught you how." He gave her a flare of all four nostrils, dropped down in front of her and copied her on-the-grass pose... "More ridiculous no one's ever taught you......."

With that, he reached out and touched her on the nose.......

It wasn't long before she settled, her head now resting in the grass, almost like she was trying to hide from him. She almost looked smaller, pressed into the thin blades of green, although she as unable to conceal herself, it sure seemed like she wanted to.

While she hadn't exactly rejected him, she certainly hadn't yet accepted him. She was assured that this was turning into something she wasn't hoping for, but she was going along with it anyway. We could say that she had grown a bit... well... attached to Kimba by now, and she definitely wasn't going to quit him this far in, she'd passed the point of turning around, the only way to go was forward. At least, that's how Avira's train of thought worked.

She was silent now, her gaze narrowed slightly, brow knitted over her eyes as if confused by the mentioning of Kimba presumably wanting to teach her how to dance. Now that she thought about it, dancing actually made her a bit nervous, she felt as though she'd make a fool of herself. Her voice lowered to hardly anything above a whisper, but it was plenty audible the the male inches away from her.

"I told you I can't dance....."

Avira turned her head away, her tail pulling around and laying over her muzzle like she was embarrassed. Her fur laid flat as her ears were, her bright ruby red eyes seeming a bit dimmer at the moment. It seemed that Kimba had stricken a nerve with her, she hadn't had the most 'normal' childhood. There were a few things that her parents and friends hadn't ever taught her. One of those things was dancing.

Encouragement...

Kimba hadn't intended to strike a nerve.......

Despite the wisdom of their Creators, Nism were not perfect creatures. They'd been created to certain "specs", so they could never lose their Free Spirits, never lose that Spark of Life. Never change so much in Body and Spirit they'd die out, like their Creators had. So, while their bodies remained unchanging, Nism today the same as Nism five million years ago, inside, deep within their Souls, they always retained the ability to grow, to remain Free within and without. To learn, yes. Yet also able to make mistakes. Parents could fail their children. Friends could miss things. No Nism was ever abused, ever violent with another, but certain things could be neglected. Which could lead to certain Nism lacking in certain things.

Which could lead to one particular Nism not knowing how to dance to the point she believed she just couldn't!

Yes, not perfect. Bodies never changing from their original design. Spirits never turning back, never turning away from Life. But they could still feel the full range of emotions, though hate had been made alien to their Spirits. That one emotion, excised. They could feel sadness... grief. Anger, without hate or war. Joy. Love...

... Avira may not have yet rejected or accepted Kimba, but what he felt now, seeing her this way... was this love? This desire to see her happy, to comfort her, to be in the here and now for her. To give of himself. To not be embarrassed by his musky scent around her. Desire to show her more of himself, to share Life, the Universe... and Everything. With her.

Yes, seeing her like this, his Heartstone zinged! And his heart beat loud and fast in his chest, a blood-rush through his body, half-grown shroudruff in full display as he...

... "Avira..." He also settled head to grass, reached out again, this time removing her tail from her face, so he could turn her face towards him... "There is no such thing as can't."

A slight whine escaped the female as she stared at Kimba, searching his eyes for something she couldn't quite name. In that very small moment, she felt a spark, something jolted through her like electricity, an epiphany if you will. Gathering up what courage she had at the moment after having been so momentarily flustered and shy, she stood on all fours and her head tilted down slightly, but it was a first in progress so far.

Considering that dancing was something entirely new to Avira, she would be taking things slowly here, and would have to get into her own little niche, which could take only a few minutes, or a half hour. It all depended on how willing Avira was to try this out, to risk making mistakes and learning from them, to let someone in for the first time in ages... letting Kimba in... this was a leap of faith. On she was now willing to take.

"... Alright... I'm trusting you..."

Her Trust...

Kimba didn't fail to note the change in Avira, after she looked oh so deeply into his eyes. Windows to the soul. After she stood, head slightly down. After she... "I'm trusting you." Three simple words. Kimba took them to heart. Deeply to heart. He also stood on all fours now. Again reached out, this time to lift her head. To lift her up as he stood on twos...

... "You just need to remember what it felt like to be a kit, to run and play." Kimba stripped himself of tools, again went "naked", so nothing would get in the way... "Dancing is moving... take what you hear with ears or within memory." At that moment, as if on cue, a new song started to play, so he took her hands in his, and started to move to the beat. His touch allowing her to feel, to share his chi in such a way, she could use it to follow him. Feel his body move. Move with him...

... "Just relax... let it flow."

Yes, in his own Spirit, he let the music take over. Felt the music. Felt his own body's desire to just flow along, loose and free.......

She listened intently to the rhythm of the music, and for a moment her mind slipped away from her, her body moving with the smooth curves and waves of the melody that filled the air, travelling between and around every Nism in the decorated yard. It had a soothing effect on her, and it caused her to relax significantly.

Unbeknownst to Avira, she had begun to quietly hum herself into a smooth kind of groove with Kimba, swaying with every note that filled her ears and traveled to her distant thoughts. She felt a connection at that moment, a special kind of connection, one she was unfamiliar with. And she found it quite admirable, she also took this to heart, and she would keep it there.

Speaking of her heart, she just recalled the little piece of 'Kimba Jewelry" that hung around her neck, resting comfortably nestled into her fur. And it just so happened to be overturned to display the markings etched into it, only she and Kimba were close enough to make them out though, and Avira now noticed them, also recalling the markings previously seen on Kimba himself, and she quickly made the connection. And it clearly showed, if blush could be seen she'd be putting strawberries to shame by the dozen.

"It's nice you know... All this... It's very kind of you..."

All This, All That...

If Kimba hadn't been so deep in the moment, in the pure feel sliding through flesh and blood to bone, he wouldn't have missed thinking... Can't dance? She's been dancing all her life! No, not that... what he did think? Well, sharing breath and heart and warmth with a beautiful female, with someone who took motion and even voice, who... who finally didn't seem to mind being touched. Yes, he was, indeed, close enough to make out.......

....... and yes, being Nism, having a chi sensor in your forehead, skin didn't need to show for you to "see" a female blush.

Of course, what with Avira's words, Kimba couldn't help but blush, himself, under fur...

... "I... I just want you to remember this evening..."

Not that Nism had trouble remembering. Kimba reached out and touched his gift, so close to her heart...

... "Awkward start, but I hope I've given you more than you expected." He couldn't help a grin, even with his ears turned back... "I know I never expected today I'd be here with you... with anyone."

Avira gathered up her morale and confidence, bringing her gaze up to meet Kimba's, a soft ghost of a smile crossing her muzzle. The music that filled the air gradually came to a halt and changed again, causing Avira to take a step from back Kimba, wanting to take a moment to go over it all in her head. Something in her burned, something affectionate and admirable, something she figured should be called love, but she wasn't entirely sure just yet.

"I'll be sure to never forget it."

Simply on a whim of her emotions, she re-approached the male and pulled him into an embrace, pressing her head up beneath him,her ears lazily angled backwards, her tail curled around her and flicking back and forth in cheerful manner.

"Thank you, Kimba. For helping me open up..."

Her Thanks, His Response...

To say Kimba was again surprised would be a serious understatement. Sure, he'd been hoping his honest "confession" would add to the romance of this moment, help Avira to see more of him, his Spirit. But this. Warmth. Heart. Breath. Shared in such a close and personal way. This hug. This pure embrace of unhidden affection... if not love, it was oh so close! Close enough, he...

... "You're welcome, Avira..."

He returned her embrace, spoke no more words. Even through the scent of cooking meat and veggies, stronger now... even through other voices and surrounding movements of those others... even through the deepening of twighlight and brisk, cool summer evening breeze... he didn't want this to end.

He wanted....... *

DING-DONG-TINKLE-DING!

Well, he certainly didn't want the dinner bell to ring.......

Avira's attention snapped into a state of alarm as she had been so indulged in the romance and compassion that had filled those few minutes of embrace, she nearly leapt out of her fur if such a thing had been possible. she gave a little gasp of bewilderment before pieces fell into place and she registered the unmistakable aroma of food...

Speaking of food, Avira then also realized that she had hardly eaten that day, and she had a ravenous appetite. Flashing a sweet and charming smile to Kimba, she got up on her hind legs, poised in such a way that her gaze was above everyone's heads so she could see across the lawn and over to where Deen was.

"I'm starved..."

while she wasn't literally starved, she was quite healthy and well nourished actually, she said that just to get her point across, that she was hungry and very well intended to resolve that hunger. Everyone's attention would be on Deen and his newly finished feast of food for all to share, the bell that rang through the air had made certain of that...

All Blessings Come...

The bell that rang through the air.......

Kimba had also registered the unmistakable aroma of food... and of Avira. He didn't give a little gasp of bewilderment, but pieces of something tinkled on the ground of his thoughts. But what was done was done. He'd clean up the bits later... though, seeing her smile, he might not get the time. Might even forget those glassy fragments in his mind. They may have been on the ground now, yet they still glittered in his memory.

Euphemisms. Gotta love 'em!

Avira's gaze could indeed see across the grass. Could see Deen. Could see Thoee, as well, with little Peet in arms. And someone else. Bright blue eyes. Black fur and scales... yes, black from tip of ears to tip of tufted tail, sign of great age. A female Nism in her very later years. And yes, it was she who had rung the dinner bell. So, whether on all fours or on twos like Avira, or whatever pose they took, all Nism present looked to her.

Music, faded to silence. Conversations, stilled. Even kits stopped playing to watch and to listen...

... "May we all remember our Creators as we share our Lives this evening!"

A ruffle of fur and feathers greeted this Blessing in a wave of Nism applause, all muzzles pointed, for a moment, skywards. Then...

... "Heart, Breath and Warmth to all!"

With that, all started to move in organized fashion, to collect their plates, and then to fill them. Even Kimba...

... "I'm starved, too......." He grinned. Made his move as he brushed by Avira and stroked her under the chin with his tail's tip, ears up, fur still fluffed. His own lack of lunch making his stomach gurgle as all four nostrils flared.

As even his shroudruff flared, exposing his Father Spot again. Yes, he'd gotten ahead of her, closer to the food. No telling how long that would last. How long she would watch his backside as he pranced away.......

-------

Last edited:
Avira strode behind Kimba for a while before she got up next to him, well, as close to 'next to him' as she could get. Considering everyone was in a line, more or less, some were paired, some were waiting for food to brought by a mate of a soon-to-be mate, and the likes of that. Kits skittered about under-foot and tail, chatter again filled the air after blessing was given and said.

She nuzzled up against him for a moment, her ruby red eyes holding a new glittering excitement and affection, all because Kimba had stumbled into her life. This she was grateful for, but she would also be grateful for having a full stomach in a little while. She carried her 'plate' balanced atop her head, she moved quicker on all fours than on two's. And she had her plate filled and then some.

She scanned the yard for an 'off-grid' place to go and eat, she didn't like being part of a crowd, no matter how large or small it was. She liked to have a bit of privacy even for something so public. She figured that wherever she ended up going, Kimba would follow, but that was just her mind-set at the moment. All she was thinking about other than him was her food and that she needed and quite wanted to eat it.

She finally settled on a comfortable spot off to the side of the main crowd, a place nestled between one of those flowers that everyone had to careful not to ruin, and on the other side was a tree similar to the one she had earlier been sitting under when she Kimba had given chase to her. She found that this spot was secluded but open to the eyes of others, and it was sprinkled in light shed by small glowing luminescent orbs surrounded by a thin layer of glass identical to others strung over-head and between the branches of nearby trees, like the one she laid beneath now.

And her gaze quickly fell on Kimba, a silent urge fro him to come over to her being sent through the look in her eyes the moment they connected with his, as well as her feeling of need to be near him. She radiated with compassion and affection, an aura of delightful and seemingly infinite yearning for the male whom she had grown so attached to so quickly.

And it had only hardly been a single day, and look how far they'd come...