A KILLER playlist ...or... Music to MURDER with?

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
I'mma be doing a lot of SPOOPY STUFF this month, and I like to use music to help get me in the right mood!

But I need a fresh injection of music! O:

SHARE MUSIC YOU FEEL HAS CREEPY VIBES AND TELL ME WHAT KIND OF CREEPY IT IS! WHAT SORT OF SCENE DOES IT BRING UP IN YOUR MIND!

I will start us off with this haunting song:

Nox Arcana and Flowers for Bodysnatchers' whole discographies. 'Nuff said.
Each of their albums have a story or theme behind them. Nox Arcana goes for Gothic, Neoclassical style, they feel evil and suspenseful. They have a whole album inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's stories called Shadow of the Raven. This one is one of my favorites because the story always unsettled me in a visceral fashion, especially the ending.

FFB have this creeping terror kind of feeling. Some songs are beautiful, personal, even emotions. But they always have this "somethin's off" kind of vibe. And what I love is that every album has a story behind it.

I recommend Asylum Beyond and Infernal Beyond. The latter is a sequel to the other. The story behind them is pretty gruesome but the SFW version is that: in 1968, a man kills his family as part of a mysterious ritual. He is rendered clinically insane and put into an asylum. Four years later, the Asylum is burnt to the ground, police and firemen find all the staff members and patients dead and killed in the same fashion as the previous murder. But they don't find the bodies of the main protagonist and his psychiatrist.

(It does a good job at making you feel immersed into what's going on with the main character's head.)

Part II: The nature of the fire is described to be so intense, it felt like hellfire and it left a bottomless pit with black toxin at the sub basement. The firefighters that were exposed to the toxins were said to have hallucinations of two figures dragging bodies into the blaze back and forth each day. The townspeople tried to leave this dark chapter behind, but they believe their town is now being haunted by something extremely sinister.

(it sounds silly, almost like a circus, but it gets progressively dark and creepy. It reminds me of a Lovecraftian horror.)

I can't say why, but In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins gives me serial killer murder montage vibes.

I have this Spotify playlist simply titled ‘Strong Vibes’ because that is the best way to describe these songs and many of them have sinister and possibly (or overtly) murderous vibes.

So I love the music by Akira Yamaoka from the Silent Hill games because it's really good and also unsettling. Silent Hill 2's OST is particularly good. The first track is the intro theme and more emotional than creepy, so skip that if you want to get to the more atmospheric shit. I especially like Null Moon, Angel's Thanatos, and Terror in the Depths of the Fog.

David Lynch's soundscapes are also great atmospheric sound for that unsettling vibe. I recommend The Air is on Fire.

I discovered the song Sought the Gods by Epic Archaic via a trailer for the film Demonic and it's perfect creepy folk/supernatural horror music.

Heilung's song Krigsgaldr works well for that too. (Warning, the video is sorta NSFW-ish? But not graphic.)

Plastic Patina has some nice lo-fi hip-hop that works as atmospheric creepy music and gives me definite Silent Hill vibes.

Plastic Patina - Memories of Love [Official]

Philip Wesley's piano pieces work really well for dark fantasy pieces, IMO.

Philip Wesley - Dark night of the soul

Fever Ray has a few songs that scream witchy vibes.

Fever Ray 'If I Had A Heart'

The Wolf

• Love
Reactions: marcy
You like Huey Lewis and the News?

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. (Puts on raincoat) He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square".

A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. (Picks up Axe) But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself!

It's also a good song to axe murder to!

All memes aside though, I often think of this song when I think of like, a villain that you realize you're in too deep for. Like at first they may seem unassuming, but then you get that "Oh shit, what am I in front of??" moment that captures the enormity of the situation pretty clearly. I gotta imagine this is the song plays when your hero's stomach almost drops out of their ass in dread,

And if you're looking for just... straight spooky music, I think Acolytes Of The New God from Fallout 1 fits that perfectly. The bells and wind... it really fits the vibe of the place it acts as the background music for. Spoilers for a ~25 year old game, but it's a church in a bombed out city in the post-apocalypse filled with people who devote their life to a twisted, mutated master, whose plan is to horribly mutate everybody left alive in this near-dead world.

So I love the music by Akira Yamaoka from the Silent Hill games because it's really good and also unsettling. Silent Hill 2's OST is particularly good. The first track is the intro theme and more emotional than creepy, so skip that if you want to get to the more atmospheric shit. I especially like Null Moon, Angel's Thanatos, and Terror in the Depths of the Fog.

Ah, you beat me to it. ;-) Fun fact tho, there's an in-game version of Black Fairy on YT, I listen to that when I'm writing a particularly grisly scene. I think that's really how the track is meant to be experienced, the soundtrack version has all those harsh, obnoxious mechanical noises, idunno why they left that shit in the soundtrack but removed it from the game itself. Anyways, can confirm Silent Hill 2's soundtrack really stands out from the rest of them, but the others have their moments, too. Tears Of, Not Tomorrow, Dance With Night Wind and Breeze In Monochrome Night to name a handful. You could also look up Silent Chill on YT and you'll find a mix of tracks from each soundtrack.

---

Ahh, where to begin! I Let It In And It Took Everything is probably a good start. The title alone already conveys this sense of loss to me, either from some kind of betrayal or after succumbing to some unfortunate, detrimental thing, a terrible demise in the guise of solace. This song always reminds me of a massacre from an old roleplay of mine, when an evil witch disguised herself as a helpless beggar so as to find refuge in a prince's castle, only to reveal her true, menacing form as she and an ally started cleaning house.

TW: Depression, suicide

Giles fucking Corey! I love this man with all my heart, his music is AMAZING. I only put a trigger warning for suicide because I saw someone talking about it in the YT comments. I really don't know what to say, but I can't say anything scares me more than myself, that is to say the irrational ideas and fabrications my mind likes to come up with. Living with severe clinical depression and borderline personality disorder, I used to keep myself up at night obsessed with absurd notions of abandonment among numerous anxieties and just this overall feeling of hopelessness and self-doubt. It got to the point where I was so comfortable with my misery and loneliness that I would self-sabotage myself from any opportunities at friendship or connections with people, that whole idea that you're better off alone.

That's not something I believe or try to indulge in anymore, it's not a philosophy of love. But it's an important time of my life I'll never forget, I can't afford to, otherwise I'll end up making the same mistakes. I think that alone is a testament to how scary the threat of mental illness is, when you let the mind wander without proper guidance and a nurturing hand, it'll wander to the darkest corners of humanity. I think the song No One Is Ever Going To Want Me is superb at capturing that dark corner of humanity that anybody can find themselves lost in. It's a really magnificent piece of art that grounds you. Dumb happy people will hear it and might feel humbled by the thoughts and emotions it conveys, maybe even a bit unsettled as the music pulls their heads down from the clouds. But afflicted people who are down in the dumps usually find comfort and belonging in the music, this feeling that you're not alone and there's many others like you who feel what you feel, it sort of drags you out of the mud.

Zealots of Stockholm is a rollercoaster for a track, I listened to it in 2013 when the album came out and to this day I still don't know what the fudge Donald Glover is rappin' and singin' about, but it sounds cool as hell over the scary ass beats, it makes me feel like someone is about to read Catcher in the Rye and then shoot John Lennon. Idunno, sounds like the theme song for a psycho ass brainwashing cult leader or something, despite the rappin' and singin'. No Exit is another song from the album that straight up sounds like a homicide scene, and Flight of the Navigator sounds like the aftermath of said scene from the victims perspective, perhaps with a lover at their side as they pass.

Damn, I just remembered Scroobius Pip made a song literally depicting the jolly swell time a character has killin' folk. It's kind of a banger, I can't lie, and Pip portrays this sadistic character in such a colorful way, the way he relishes in talking about 'The Struggle' as he puts it reminds me of Heath Ledger as The Joker. This psychopathic, ambitious kind of guy who's so shamelessly intelligible he's almost charming in a way. "It's not murder, it's a performance, a grand show, a spectacle of the ages!" Type shit. 😅

Last edited:
I've got some more spooky music for you!

Trobar de Morte is a Spanish pagan folk band and some of their songs are wonderfully spooky.

Peter Gundry has a whole album of witchy music here, perfect for dark fantasy:

The Old City by Atrium Carceri is a kickass dark ambient album.

The guy behind Atrium Carceri also has a label called Cryo Chamber that uploads and livestreams dark ambient music to YouTube. Their Lovecraft Collaboration Series is an homage to the Lovecraft Mythos. Here's the one for Cthulhu:

And finally, nobody (that's the name of the channel) creates themed playlists with dark moods featuring classical and ambient music. Here's one that might be especially appropriate for the thread title.

Oooh, maybe you'll like some of these'ms, Diana~ I'll share some of my tunes that gots like emo or goth spooky vibes. >:3 They are great to vibe to when you wanna get down with your witchy self or even go do some spooky gaming.