A Gentleman's Fee

Adette stared at James, her dark silver eyes wide with surprise when he said he loved her. She thought she had merely been foolish when she confessed her own love to him, thinking that she had only been simple-minded and naive to tell a man she met only two days before that she loved him, but...he felt the same for her. She smiled brightly, joy overflowing in her heart as she secured the towel around her chest and then wrapped her arms around his neck.

"James," she whispered lovingly, holding his face in her hands, "You've already made me so happy...you really have."

She kissed him lovingly in return, pouring her feelings out through that one action, and held him close. When she pulled back, she leaned her forehead against his, sighing happily and enjoying his warmth before the analogue clock across the room caught her attention and she sat straight again. It was so late in the evening, well past the time that James left last night and her heart dropped into her stomach at the thought of him leaving her already. She didn't want to go back to serving other men, to having them eye her like a piece of premium steak; she didn't want James to go...but he had his work, still, and he needed to get his rest. Whether or not he was still a paying client, she wanted him to get proper sleep so he could do his best at work.

Besides, if he did leave, she would still see him the next day...right?

"Do you have to go now, James?" she asked him hesitantly, indicating to the clock, "It's already so late; you left earlier last night becaues of work. You need your rest."

James sighed when he realized the time. "Sadly I'll have to leave. That's the other thing. I didn't want to say anything until I left, I am sorry. I have to miss coming here tomorrow because of business. I hate that I have to.." His expression became saddened and he held her close. He wanted nothing more than to come back and spend the night again with his new love.

James wanted to spend forever at Sandov's with her, he really wanted her to be free of it. Be free of all the pressure she felt every night. He felt helpless, a feeling he always hated when encountered.

She had been afraid he would say something like that, her heart dropping even more into her stomach, but it couldn't be helped. He had his work...and she had hers. Someone had to pay her mother's hospital bills and for the medication she was getting and Adette was sure as the sun was bright that her no-good father, who had abandoned his family when she was sixteen, would not step in to help even though they had helped him financially on more than one occasion. So Adette remained at Sandov's, a beautiful little Waitress for the men to ogle at, to take care of her mother. She had to...because no one else would.

She forced a smile at her new lover, hiding the sadness she felt so she wouldn't trouble him and nodded her head, "I understand, James. You do what you have to do; don't let me get in the way of your business."

She kissed his cheek before releasing him and gathering his clothes for him, handing them to the man, "You should get going. It's getting later and later and you don't want to be tired tomorrow, do you? Hahaha."

James tried to laugh but his pain was too much. He hated to leave. Especially now. He dressed and walked up to Adette. "I'll be her in two days. I promise. Don't forget about me lover." He smiled and kiss her deeply, holding her close for a moment. Then he was off.

The drive home was miserable and he spent the night rolling around in bed. He couldn't get her out of his head. The thought that other men would be all over her drove him mad. He wasn't one to cling, but he had found someone to love, and her job made it hard not to worry. He had to get her out of Sandov's. Get her a job she would enjoy.

That night, before James left, Adette gave him her number and told him that if he ever just wanted to talk, then he could reach her. After he left, she redressed herself and returned to work. He was on her mind all night, his sweet smile, deep voice, and gentle eyes conquering her dreams. She wanted nothing more than to spend all of her time with him, to forgo her job and stay by his side. He might find that odd and too clingy...but it was true. She knew that if she had to choose between working for Sandov and being with James, she would choose James without question.

She had no idea that that next night, she would come very close to making a decision.

She had come into work like usual, dressed in one of the Waitress uniforms, and went about doing her job. Half way into the night, though, a customer wanted her 'company' for the night...whether she was already reserved or not. It wasn't Morrison, but a younger business man that had been eyeing her for a long time. He had tried to force himself on her, cornering her in the corner of the parlor, but she had screamed and thrashed around so violently, that the other Waitresses were there in an instant. He hadn't gotten far, but he did tear her shirt away from her body and rip off her panties. She was forming bruises from where he had grabbed her and her hair was very disheveled.

She was practically traumatized; a customer had never attacked her before. Sandov gave her paid leave for a little while, Adette being one of the girls that held a special place in his heart. She went home, after telling one of her coworkers to tell James that she was home when he came in the next night, and curled up in bed to suffer through a night of nightmares.

James arrived at Sandov's overly excited to see Adette. He walked in, and was immediately confronted by a young girl. After news of what happened. James's heart sank and he asked for her address. He had tried to call or text her but she did not answer. He quickly made his way to her place. He was furious at the man who attacked her, and at the same time scared and worried for Adette. He felt guilty he could not have been there. He could have prevented this all. James went extreme enough to want to end his job.

He ran up to the door and knocked many times. His heart was racing. He wanted to hold her in his arms. He wanted to be there for her. That is exactly what he would do.

The rapid knocks at her door jolted Adette from her dazed state, her eyes having been staring at the TV screen but not really seeing any of the images for the good part of an hour. Her heart had started thumping in her chest as fear took over; after the night before, she was paranoid enough to think that her attacker had found where she lived and was there to exact revenge on her. She slowly stood up from the couch and cautiously made her way towards the front door. Stopping by the window, she tentatively peeked through the curtains and found her heart now jumping into her throat at who she saw there.

"James?" she whispered to herself, now running to fling open the door and stand in front of him, "James?! What are you doing here?"

James ran to her instantly and picked her up. "I am so sorry I wasn't there Adette! This is all my fault! Please forgive me. I'll never let anything happen to you again." He kissed her deeply before setting her down, continuing to hold her.

He was happy that she seemed healthy enough. He would stay with her until she felt safe again. However long it would take. He loved her. It wasn't too soon. He would never have traveled so fast to help anyone. Adette was his special someone. He finally had one.

"Are you okay? Please let me help you anyway I can. Oh I am so sorry!"

"Wait...wait, James," Adette soothed him after he kissed her, calming his frazzled nerves with her gentle voice, "Why are you sorry? I don't under..."

She stopped as she looked into his eyes, seeing the panic in them and suddenly realizing that he must have been talking about the incident that took place the night before; "...They told you...didn't they?" she asked him, looking down guiltily and clutching his shirt in her fingers, "I...I didn't ask them to tell you what happened. They were just supposed to tell you that I wasn't going to be working there tonight."

She raised her gaze to meet his again and leaned up on the tips of her toes to press her lips to his again, "Please don't be sorry, James, it wasn't your fault. I guess it was bound to happen at some point, someone getting impatient. I should have been on my guard more...I should have been paying better attention."

She looked down again, a small smile gracing her pretty features as she giggled shyly, "But you've made me happy already by just coming to see me, though I'm a bit embarrassed that you're seeing me like this...with my apartment looking the way it does."

Adette smoothed down her off-the-shoulder sweater and yanked a little on her pajama shorts, fiddling with her hair that she had thrown into a messy bun on top of her head. Although her apartment was not a huge mess, there were dishes on the coffee table and shirts hanging off the arms of the couch and chip bags littering the counters.

"You look beautiful, you always have, always will Adette. I don't care about your place's looks I care about you." He hugged her again. "I want to keep you company for the night. I am happy around you, I don't care where we are. As long as I have you." He took her hand in his and kissed her. "Do you want to go somewhere. I could take us out to eat? Perhaps a drive? Anything you want sweetie. I just want you to be happy. To forget about everything." He smiled his charming smiled and finally had calmed down. She was safe, and that's all he cared about.

Adette smiled shyly at both his words and his fretting, a blush heating her ebony cheeks as he kissed her deeply and held her hand. She put a finger to her lips in thought, looking back up at him with a hopeful look in her eye.

"Well...there is one place that I wanted to go and see."

After getting dressed into some acceptable clothes to face society and fixing her hair into a low ponytail, she persuaded James to drive them to a small lake that was about ten minutes outside of the city. The moon was large and bright that night, the trees lining the shores of the lake giving it that picturesque feel to it. Adette absolutely loved that lake, had loved it ever since her mother and father took her when she was a child. It made her feel calm and free...like nothing could touch her. Leading James down to the shore, she released his hand, slipped off her shoes, and placed her feet in the cool water. She raised her face to the light of the moon and sighed as a gentle breeze caressed her skin.

"I come here sometimes when I just don't want to be bothered by the outside world," she said to the man standing behind her, raising her arms to the sky, "Here, I'm just a simple woman. I'm not a Waitress and I'm not a stressed daughter worying over her mother...I'm just me."

"This is beautiful Adette. It's a lovely place." He smiled and put his arm around Adette. They had sat on the ground next to James's car. He kept a smile on as her started at her in the moonlight. It was a place for her to escape, yet James felt like he had too. Here, there was not job, no meetings, no stress of sour deals. It was just himself and his love. She was beautiful as the moonlight poured over the two. He leaned in a kissed her cheek. He moved himself so that she sat between his legs and wrapped his arms around her waist. He rested his head on her shoulder. "I love you." He whispered in her ear and kissed her neck.

"I love you, too," she whispered back, tuning her head to steal a kiss.

His arms were warm and strong around her waist, his body protecting her from the outside world and shielding her with his love. She caressed his arm and leaned back against his chest, feeling his strong heartbeat thump against her back. She gazed out over the clear water of the lake and perked up when she saw a small boat floating across the glass like surface.

"Look, James," she said quietly, pointing out towards the boat where a man and woman sat, "That's so cute."

She had a smile on her face as she watched the lovers, giggling when the man leaned close and surprised the woman with a sweet kiss.

James smiled and squeezed her lovingly. "Adette, have you ever thought of leaving Sandov's? A new job. I know it doesn't make you happy. I want you to be happy. I could help you find a new job. One where you could be happier." He kissed her neck once more and whispered, "I know how to make you happy." It was seductive and he laughed right after. "But in all seriousness Adette, if you consider it." He put his hands on her legs and rubbed her thighs softly.

James had looked out at the couple on the boat, and it only fueled his desire to make Adette happy. He never wanted what happened to happen again. He would make sure it didn't. If that meant going to Sandov's every night then he would.

"Oh, James," Adette cooed gently, smiling warmly at his deep voice flowing through her ears and his arms holding her protectively, "I have thought about quitting...but it's the only job I could find that paid the salary I needed. Mom...remember how I told you that she's sick? Well, she's been sick for a while now and she's constantly in and out of the hospital. The bills are expensive and so is her medication. Sandov's is the only place that made it easier for me to pay it all off. I want to see if I can find something better, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to. I only have a year at university to my name; I had to drop out to take care of my mom...no real company is going to want to hire me, not when they have other applicants that have years of experience under their belt."

When his hands drew up her legs and caressed her thighs, she squirmed at the sudden prick of excitement, giggling when he whispered seductively in her ear. They made love only once, yet she was completely hooked and ready for more. She laced her fingers through his and guided his hand around her thighs, inhaling a shaky breath when he touched her. She leaned her head against his shoulder and turned her head to brush her lips over his jawline.

"You do know that you make me happy, though, right?" she whispered, turning more to kiss his lips fully, "I'll always be happy with you."

James smiled. "That makes me happy." He kissed her back and leaned in to hold her close. It was a romantic time by the lake. They were alone, it was peaceful and the moon had covered them in it's aurora. Nothing could be better James thought. He surely didn't want it to end. Eventually it had gotten more dark and James didn't want to keep them out all night. "It's getting pretty late, as much as I hate to say this, we might need to consider going back." He sounded sad with his words and kissed her once again on her cheek, then moving to kiss her lips.

Adette nodded as well, her high spirits dipping a little at the thought of James leaving. She turned around in his arms and kissed him fully on the lips, wrapping her arms around his neck as her tongue danced around in his mouth. She nipped his bottom lip playfully and giggled into the kiss before breaking it to gaze into his eyes.

"Do you have work tomorrow?" she asked him, caressing his face with her fingers and pecking his lips, "It's the weekend. Maybe we could...spend the day together? If you're not busy?"

She kissed him again, pressing her body against his and teasing his tongue with hers. She ran her hands down his neck to his shoulders, massaging them gently.

"We could start tonight. You can stay over," she suggested almost shyly, feeling her cheeks heat up.

"I am off until Monday. I would love to stay over. It would mean everything to me." He smiled and lifted her up with him. They made their way to his car and he drove back to her apartment. The thought of spending the night and tomorrow with her in a non work environment filled James with happiness. They arrived and James opened the door for her. Adette's place was nice. It brought a sense of comfort to him. She had nice painting hung up and the rooms smelled lovely. She was a true woman. He knew he had found the right person for him. "I really love your place Adette." He smiled and kissed her. He made his way to the couch and sat down, tapping the seat beside him. "I hope I am not making myself too at home here." He laughed playfully.

Adette laughed and shook her head, silver eyes shimmering with untold amounts of joy and laughter, "No, I want you to feel at home here because I'm hoping that you keep coming over."

She made her way over to the couch, kneeling on it in front of him and taking his hands on hers. They practically engulfed her fingers and thoroughly heated her hands. She smiled and kissed the backs of his hands tenderly, staring into the eyes of the that she loved dearly.

"You're so warm, James," she whispered, moving to sit in his lap and kiss him slowly, giggling as she wrapped his arms around her, "and strong, too, hahaha."

She kissed him again, cutting off all talking for a time to just feel his lips against hers, to wash away the filth that she still felt clinging to her body from that man that attacked her the night before. That man's hands had been all over her body, on her breasts and thighs and even diving under her skirt to find her treasure. Here, with James, kissing him the way that she was, she could feel those horrid touches finally disappearing. After a few minutes, she pulled back and looked at him, blinking her eyes as if remembering something and then giggled shyly.

"Oh...what kind of hostess am I?" she asked quietly, biting her bottom lip, "Are you hungry for anything, James? Thirsty maybe? I'm afraid I don't have any Swedish vodka, but I do have some wine if you want."

"Well," He put his hand on his stomach, "I am getting kinda hungry. And I don't need alcohol! I like juice?" He laughed and kissed her. "I can help make some food if you want?" He smiled and kissed her hand. He was already comfortable around her. Able to be himself and not feel like he needed to prove himself. That was how he spent his whole life. Trying to prove he was worth it. All of his money he had, it didn't matter with her. Between them, it was just love.