A Game of Survival (Obsidian x Dyn01)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naoto blushed a little bit, remembering how he was close to laughing at Luna earlier. "I-I'm sure it is!" he retorted, almost immediately regretting those words. Watching Luna 'defeat' the dummy, he gave her a light round of applause. "Nice job." He looked over to his dummy before looking over to his screen once again. Giving a nod, he gripped his sword tighter and swung down towards the dummy. The sword was slower than Luna's, but it swung down with a large blue arc and Naoto could feel it slice through the dummy effortlessly. Looking at it, the dummy as well as the wooden base that it supported itself on was cut in two.

The game was satisfied with that result, and the arrow changed direction once again, pointing back to the town again. "We're looking for... an NPC now. It looks like he's going to give us the reward for this quest." Naoto puts the sword on his back as he looked over to Luna. "Ready to go?"

Luna bows at his applause laughing softly "Thank you..." watching Naoto slice it all the way down to the base she sticks her tongue out at him childishly "Show off! Just kidding good job!" she slides her sword onto her back and looks at the screen "Cool, this isnt that hard" she nods and starts to follow the arrow

Naoto gave her a nod. "Well, it is just the initial quest after all. I'm sure that some people who did not do online gaming before is just coming onto DAO because all of the media stuff for it," he explained. Now that he thought of it, he could hear some people getting information on the basics of MMOs, as well as seeing some children players running around the edge of the city. "I think as the initial wave gets over, this place will get less crowded." He looked over to Luna. "I have a lot of time, so I might just try to focus on getting some of the dungeons done. How about you?"

"True, I have to get off soon my roommate is coming home and its my turn to make dinner" as they get to the NPC a big burly man she taps the screen completing the quest and Luna levels to level 2 she smiles "Interesting"

"Roommate, huh?" Naoto wondered aloud, taking his accomplished quest and new level in stride. "Ah, I forgot that you had one. Well, I'll probably be on for some time- and tomorrow too. If you want to party again, just shoot me a message." Naoto began looking around, as the burly NPC began mentioning about a quest board. "So are you going to leave right now?"

"Yup, sure sounds good" She hesitates then nods "Ya I should, but Ill be back on again after so we can do a dungeon then" she pulls up the menu frowning after a moment "Uhh Naoto?"

Naoto was about to prepare himself to say goodbye to Luna. It was a shame that she had to leave, he did not have many friends who had told him that they were going to join DAO, so he would have to spend time alone for some time. He had raised his hand to say goodbye, before Luna spoke up. "What is it, Luna?" he asked her.

Luna points to the menu "There isnt a logout or exit or quit button" she frowns up at him worried "How do we get out? Is it some kind of bug?"

Naoto's interest was piqued. He had not bothered to check himself as he was going through the game's menu, so he checked himself. "Items, Skills, Status, Friends, IM, Phone, Settings..." he read off the menu's items. She was right. There was no exit button. "Maybe its because we're not in town?" He could feel Luna's worries through her voice. "Don't worry so much about it. I'm sure that its just something we're overlooking, is all. Hey, I think you can call up a admin on phone. I'll do that now."

Naoto pressed on phone, which essentially was a way to call up either the admins or your own friends to talk to them. He clicked on the Contact Admin button, but all that did was just have the phone ring for a few moments before it hung up automatically. "No answer..." At that moment, warning signs popped up all around the city, including in front of Naoto and Luna. "W-What's-?"

'Please come to the town center! Please come to the town center for an announcement by the admins!'

"Oh, maybe someone's already jumped ahead of us on this!" Naoto smiled over to Luna. "See? Everything's going to be fine."

Luna gets a bad feeling startled by the warnings but she gives Naoto a half hearted smile "Ya im sure your right lets go see what's up" she heads toward the center of town following the signs absently playing with her long hair out of nervousness

Naoto began to notice that not many people were on the streets anymore, instead a massive crowd was beginning to form in front of him as they got closer to the Town Square. He joined the group, which began to push and get rowdy. A few of the people had noticed what he had noticed already and those people had begun talking to others about it. It was now the one thing that everyone was talking about. "So many people..." he awed as he began to get pushed with the crowd. "Ah!" he spoke out as he began moving against the current and away from Luna.

Surprised at the size of the crowd Luna looks around but as she starts getting pushed she sees Naoto getting pulled away from her by the crowd she quickly grabs his arm and yanks him out of the crowd but the motion causes her to fall back onto her back Naoto falling on top of her "ow...ok you can feel a lil pain in this...." noticing Naoto on her she blushes deeply and quickly scoots away

Naoto could feel himself get tugged in one direction, away from the crowd. He quickly lost his balance and felt himself fall on top of Luna. He was swept off his feet- no, he meant that literally! He seriously did! "Th-Thank you, Luna," he spoke up once she scooted away from him. He stood up and brushed himself off as the crowd continued to gather. "I think its going to start soon."

Luna nods "uh huh no problem" she stands up brushing herself off and shifting her sword back in place, she looks around "what is? I just see a bunch of players" she frowns feeling lost

Naoto was about to open his mouth, but someone else spoke up before he did. "Welcome to Dragon's Arc Online!" It was a person with a booming voice, speaking from the heavens. It soon became obvious that no one in particular was standing nearby and speaking. It was actually coming from the sky. "You must all be wondering why we called you here! And even better, why you are all unable to log out!" Naoto gave a small nod, feeling satisfied that he would finally get an answer for all that was going on. "Well, it is very simple- The reason why you are not allowed to log out is because... I am not planning on letting you all out."

The whole square went quiet, which was quite the accomplishment. Almost all of them were expecting to be told that they were joking, and as people began to wake up to the reality of the situation, they began to voice words of protest. "Now, now! Not planning on letting you out might be a little bit harsh... DAO consists of 100 levels, if you remember correctly! The power to leave is at the top!" The words that he was saying was not satisfying the crowd at all. "Even better, I have something for you. Something you should know. If you have not noticed, there are no re-spawning points in this game, no? That's all part of the plan. You see, if you die here... then a strong electrical shock will be sent to your brain..." Naoto's eyes began to widen, as he began to realize what he was saying. "Ah, some of you already realize it. Yes, the shock will render your brain to be without function! As in other words, you'll die."

Luna jumps at the booming voice coming from above looking up she sees nobody but the voice continues and as it gets to the end nearly everyone in the crowd is in a panic, she looks at Naoto seeing him also shocked "Thi...This isnt right, its suppose to be a game!" suddenly she gets eerily calm and sighs "Great im gonna catch hell from my roommate for this..." her tone is light trying to calm down the situation. Seeing the crowd get really riled she backs up closer to the entrance tugging Naoto's arm so he will follow her

Naoto could hear himself that the crowd was beginning to get riled up. He bit his lip, trying to vent his own frustrations towards something, before noticing that Luna had begun tugging on his arm. He snapped out of his own head, and decided to follow her. "Looks like we're going to be in here for quite a while longer than just a few more hours..." he laughed nervously.

Luna nods "Okay all we have to do is beat the game right? And not die in the process...." she looks away "If we stick together we should be okay" she looks up at Naoto hopefully a flash of fear in her eyes

Naoto rubbed her head, trying to comfort her when he saw that she was getting tears in her eyes. He could feel as if Luna was barely holding it together. If they were to survive, they would have to do it together. And right now, he felt as if he had to be stronger and take the initiative, be a friend that she could accept support from. "Don't worry, okay? We should be fine," he assured her. "However, we should get going now. If we don't leave now, then we're going to be behind in the monsters that we can fight and money. Okay?"

Luna blinked surprised at Naoto's kindness toward her she smiles faintly "Thank you...Ya we're strong we can beat this stupid thing" she nods "Ya lets go I dont like the look of that crowd anyways" she starts walking toward the entrance staying close to Naoto so they dont get separated in the chaos "Do you know where we need to go?"

Status
Not open for further replies.