A fascinating read on ideas vs actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragonesper

Original poster
I rarely involve myself in discussions on religion because I honestly don't give a damn if you believe in a god, or several, none or even in a wooden puppet pulling the strings from the shadows.

Still I'd like tho share this article which is a fascinating and good read on the value of ideas measured up to an actions. The title on the article is aggressive but the language of the article itself is not that, it's calm and level. Take a look, read and share your thoughts. I honestly found it interesting.

There are much worse opinions going around in mainstream media and the masses then the opinions that are exclusive to religion(s)

There are much worse opinions going around in mainstream media and the masses then the opinions that are exclusive to religion(s)
Yup. No way any of these are worse ideas. My favourite religious opinion in there is the one about killing children for cursing at their parents.

Religion isn't inherently evil, but if we followed the words of any religion fundamentally, we'd be genocidal lunatics.

So until mainstream media says "Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)", I'm going to be fairly confident in saying that mainstream media and the masses don't really have opinions any worse than those of religions. :ferret:

This isn't going to be a discussion, it's going to be a massacre.

Nah, it'll be a locked thread if it starts heading into stupid debate nonsense territory. ;D

Reactions: Brovo

<_< believe it or not, there are people and even forums that can actually have mature discussions without going into a full on flame war. :)

<_< believe it or not, there are people and even forums that can actually have mature discussions without going into a full on flame war. :)

Sounds boring :p

• Love
Reactions: Mid
or even in a wooden puppet pulling the strings from the shadows.
f8ce6625ca0f96b7425bc9c6e8adae39.jpg

You best be not talking shit about my Messiah.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: dragonesper
It really is an interesting article. At the very end this quote is something I tend to say a lot (in other words) during a debate, "Five hundred years of science have liberated humanity from the shackles of enforced ignorance."

I similarly don't care who or what someone believes in as long as they don't tell me I should die for my sins because I like people no matter what kind of junk they have in their pants. Or because I have no interest in sex.

I guess I should first off declare my standpoint which is SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious). I am spiritual in that I believe in the possibility of reincarnation, that everything (even trees) have souls, and I have this inkling that there is a Mother Earth or Ea. I do not believe in a God(dess) or some other divine being. Science is what created us and I think there is no reason to argue something that is proven. To me souls and spirits are a very real thing but also intangible.

Some of the questions that were asked in the article are quite thought provoking. "Shouldn’t we respect religious sensibilities, masking potential conflicts and building common ground with religious groups so as to create a better, more equitable world?" & "To what extent should we allow people to break the law if their religious views are in conflict with it?"

My first reaction is to say no! Or at least not to the point where they think they can walk all over us (even more than they do already). I don't think respect is an issue at least from a legal standpoint. The general public are a little less respectful but that's mostly ignorance. I think that we should aim to find a balance though. People should not be able to break the law and get away with it because of their religion if it is in someway impeding in another person's life. If it only affects the person breaking the law or whatever religious group they belong to than let 'em do it. Religion is something to provide hope/order/etc to people NOT to be used an excuse for being a horrible human being.

"Shouldn’t we respect religious sensibilities, masking potential conflicts and building common ground with religious groups so as to create a better, more equitable world?" & "To what extent should we allow people to break the law if their religious views are in conflict with it?"

My first reaction is to say no! Or at least not to the point where they think they can walk all over us (even more than they do already). I don't think respect is an issue at least from a legal standpoint. The general public are a little less respectful but that's mostly ignorance. I think that we should aim to find a balance though. People should not be able to break the law and get away with it because of their religion if it is in someway impeding in another person's life. If it only affects the person breaking the law or whatever religious group they belong to than let 'em do it. Religion is something to provide hope/order/etc to people NOT to be used an excuse for being a horrible human being.
Let's also note that atheist/deist/other has TRIED to get along, try to work together, tried to be friends. Yet all that happens is they get stoned/killed. Or more modern era, disowned/shamed to suicide/kicked out/etc etc. In the bigger picture, there really is no getting along (Yet anyway, what the bible actually means is conveniently getting less and less violent and strict and more and more nicer/accepting/flexible >.>) It's not like the war started because people thought religions were stupid, it started due to HEAVY bullying being met with HEAVY retaliation. mainly through HEAVY disagreements on morals and what nots.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: mingummy
Status
Not open for further replies.