A Doll's Destiny

"Yeah, okay. I see," Clara replied as she watched him. She would try it to see if she could also. When she got to the finish line, she pressed the button he told her and sure enough, she did get a boost. It placed her farther away from a couple other racers which made her happy. She was in the middle section of the group, but she was slowly getting into a different position.

"i think this track has multiple jumps," Aiden said. Picking up a powerup, he threw down three bowling ball bombs, knocking back a racer.

"Ah, okay," Clara replied. She wasn't familiar with the track so she would only knew when she came up on them. She rolled over another turbo pad and passed another racer. Shortly after that, she also got a powerup and sent it off after someone else so she could make them fall back farther away from her.

Crossing the finish line once more, the final lap began. Grinning, he picked up another powerup, an Uka Uka mask, which made him speed up temporarily.

Clara continued on as well, picking up a powerup when she could and trying to hit as many turbo pads in order to get closer to the finish like faster than others. She still wasn't in the front, but she was in a better spot than she was in their last race. She had finished seventh then and this time around she was in fifth place for now.

Aiden jumped the final and crossed the finish line a final time, finishing the race in fourth place.

Clara had been hoping to get closer to first place, but she wasn't able to get passed Aiden or anything else, so she ended the race in fifth place. It was better than her first try though, so she was happy. It wasn't like it was super easy to get into the lower numbers. And she had fun, that was all that really mattered. "I think we did pretty good, don't you?" she commented. She looked over to him and smiled.

"You did great," Aiden said. "Want to go again?"

"Sure, maybe one more round," she commented. "Then I'll let you get back to playing it by yourself." She wanted to give him a chance to play it as he wanted and pick the form of play he wanted without having to think about her needing an easier track since she isn't used to playing game. She waited for him to make the decision for another track.

"Okay then," returning to the track list, he selected "Oxide Station" and started the race. "This one's a bit harder, but there's plenty of turbo pads, and it looks like there's not a lot of obstacles."

"Okay. In what way is it harder then? The layout?" Clara replied. She wanted to get a feel of what the track might be like and how it could possibly be harder if there weren't a lot of obstacles to have to drive around. It was nice to know there were a lot of turbo pads though because they always came in handy. This time around, she listened to his trick from the other race so she could start as quickly as he did last time.

"Maybe," Aiden replied. He took off, driving over turbo pads and throwing down powerups. "I didn't look too long at the preview."

"Ah, okay. I guess we'll just find out then as we go," Clara replied back. She drove through the crowd, hoping to get a good spot before the others started to launch their attacks. She got a powerup as well and let it go, sending someone farther back. But a racer had also hit her with one which momentarily messed her up. It was just all part of that game.

As the finish line drew near, there were three huge jumps that went over huge chasms. Aiden managed to get his character over the first, but fell in the second. Trying again, he was able to get across, repeating the same result for the third and crossing the finish line.

Clara figured that the jumps she saw were the reason that the track was a level harder than the other ones. Luckily, she found herself a turbo pad right before them and was able to drive over it. They gave her a boost and she was able to jump all three of them. Although, she almost didn't make the last one. But somehow she did it, which she felt proud about and crossed the finish line as well.

Aiden finished the final two laps in third place this time. Sighing, he asked, "Wanna go again?"

When the race ended, Clara ended up in fifth place again which was where she was last race, but she didn't mind. "Nah, I have to start working on my dinner," she commented. "You can go back to playing on your own if you'd like or whatever you want to do." She knew he didn't have to eat, but she did. And she wasn't sure how many times he would want to race. He had already been doing it before she had after all.

"Okay. Thanks for playing with me, Clara," Aiden gave her an appreciative smile. He returned back to the menu and began a one-player race, this time against other players.

Clara smiled back. "I had fun. Maybe another time we can play again. Or you can show me some of your other games. Maybe we can even try playing a different game together some time as well," she commented back. She stood up from the couch and stretched a little, pulling her arms up into the air for a few moments. When she felt comfortable again, she walked into the kitchen and began to cook her dinner.

(Time skip to Monday?)
"Definitely so," Aiden flashed her a grin. "And, I'll let you pick."