A Doll's Destiny

Yeah, Clara was running the risk of something happening, but at this point she just wanted Aiden to be able to start living a normal life. If they got used to it, then he could do more. And it probably would have been really weird if she came into a restaurant with a doll in the first place. She didn't want rumors going around that she was a weirdo. She would just have to make sure nothing bad happened to Aiden. He deserved to live a life. "That seemed to go well," she commented to him. "For now."

"Yeah," Aiden commented. He was slowly getting used to the odd looks his sentience earned him, but the prospect of gossip and false accusions still unnerved him.

"I'm sure it'll be okay," Clara replied. She could hear some of the hesitancy in his voice. "It's pretty human to take chances. And of course, to feel worried about taking those chances too. But you aren't alone and that's one of the best ways to get through fears and uncertainties. I'll be here with you. We'll just continue to see how things go."

"Thanks, Clara," a soft smile touched his stuffed face. Aiden was more than appreciative of her friendship.
Their waitress returned, glass of water in hand. She placed it before Clara. "There you are."
To the toy, she asked, "So...um...you're...alive? I told my staff about you...but..."
Aiden was about to protest, but stopped himself short and regained his composure. "I know, but I promise, I'm harmless. I know how odd this is, and I can't blame your staff."
"Yeah. Anyways...I'll be back with your food soon. Nice meeting you," Darlene ruffled Aiden's fur and retreated to the back once more.
The doll giggled, smoothing the fur down.

"Thank you," Clara said after she was given the glass was water. She took a sip and listened to the waitress's comment. Clara was about to say something, worried things might go wrong. But Aiden was able to handle it just fine and the waitress seemed to understand at that point. She didn't know what the rest of the staff felt like, but so far things seemed okay. "They might stay confused for a while like I was, but as long as they don't think you'll do any harm to them, I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Yeah, and I think I'm slowly getting used to that," Aiden said.
Fifteen minutes later, Darlene returned with a tray that held Clara's lasagna...along with a waiter. She set down the plate and faced her companion, pointing at the toy. "That's him."
Aiden almost felt his stuffing clumping with nerves, but he kept it together. "Hi, guys."
"And, it's all on its own?" the waiter asked.
"Yup," the other server replied. "I know, weird."
He faced Clara, bushy brow raised. "Is this thing some sort of...you know..."
"I'm not a demon, I'm just a doll," the toy quickly added.

"Thank you," Clara replied as she took her plate of food. She picked up the fork and started to eat as the waitress and waiter took a look over at Aiden and briefly began to talk, but she looked back of towards them when he asked her something. "Like he said, he's not a demon. He's not possessed or anything like that. He's just a doll that's alive," she told him. "I know it makes no sense, but I've decided to just accept that. There are many confusing questions out there that don't really have answers."

Darlene simply nodded, but her companion scrutinized the doll and Clara. "I don't get. This is too weird to believe."
"That's just how some things work," Aiden said. "Like my friend just told you, you just gotta take it all in stride."
The waiter just nodded. "Yeah..."

She could understand why he was having more trouble. It wasn't like she was able to easily accept it so quickly either when she first met him. She did take some time to process it all. "He's right," she replied. "I 100 percent know how you feel. It's weird and you want some sort of solid explanation. But technically even humans don't have an explanation for their existence. Some of us choose to think it's because of a higher power, others choose science to try to figure it out. Maybe Aiden is the same way."

The toy bobbed. The waiter simply walked off. The female server moved closer, her voice low. "Be careful of some people, though. There might be some conspiracy theorists who won't stop until they find an absurd reason."
"We actually had someone like that yesterday, but we handled," Aiden replied.
"Good," she said, straightening and heading off. "Enjoy your meal!"

Clara nodded in agreement. She knew there were going to be some people who just didn't accept those answers. It was bound to happen. For all they knew, someone in that restaurant could be like that. They did have other customers, and some of them did occasionally glance over. "We definitely be careful. Thank you," she replied with a small smile. She then went back to eating her meal. She was relieved for now that things were going well.

Aiden sat back and closed his eyes, letting out a long sigh. As much as he didn't mind educating those curious about him, he had to admit...it was also tiring, especially dealing with the unaccepting people.

Clara continued to eat her meal, though she didn't feel weird since that meant that he could only sit there and do nothing. She wished she could give him some things to do. "Are you bored?" she asked him. "I guess I could give you my phone to look at if you want something to do. You can search the internet or watch some videos or whatever you would want to do."

"Just a little exasperated, dear," the toy said through a sigh.

"I can understand that," Clara replied. "But if you need anything to relax some more, just let me know. I can find something for you to do. It is kind of weird just eating here while having you sit there and do nothing. So, just let me know." She figured if he wanted to just sit there and think then that was fine. But she just wanted to make sure. She took a sip of her water then went back to eating her food.

"Now that you mention it, do you mind me surfing the web on your phone?" Aiden asked.

"Not at all," Clara muttered. She reached into her bad and pulled out her phone. She placed it on the table in front of him. "Have you ever worked a phone before? Do you need me to tell you anything about it?" She wasn't sure if he would have even had a chance to touch a smartphone. It was fairly easy to understand though, but she could explain anything that me might need her to.

"Thanks, and I think I'm okay," Aiden pushed the phone closer and moved his finger across the home screen, but nothing happened. "Um..."

Clara looked at him. "Try tapping it instead," she commented. She wasn't sure exactly what might be going on. She didn't know if this had to do with his finger because he was a doll or if he was just doing something wrong. She would have to wait and see after he tried a few different things. She took a sip of her water as she waited.

Aiden tapped the screen, and the Itunes app opened. Grinning, he opened the app switcher, closed Itunes, then browsed the phone until find Youtube. He then pulled up a video of two cats playing. The toy looked up at Clara. "Okay, I got it now."

Last edited: