A Doll's Destiny

"Then yeah, I'm surprised you are doing this well," Clara replied. Actually, he was doing well at pretty much every single game he had played so far, which was a little shocking and odd at the same time. Usually most people weren't as good at all these games the first time they played them. Yes, some of them weren't that hard so it made sense, but some of them weren't always the easiest for those who were first trying them. "I guess you just have a natural ability for these things."

"Maybe so," Aiden threw the ball, only knocking down two pins.

"Sometimes people are just good at certain things," Clara replied. She continued to watch him. "Keep doing your best." She was sure it was nice to be doing well also. Games weren't as fun when you weren't very good at them and continued to have trouble. She just wanted him to enjoy playing them. So, she would continue to cheer him on.

He did two more throws, the first knocking seven pins down, the second, six. "Do you know if the bowling has a version like this? I don't think I could handle regular-sized bowling balls."

"Regular bowling accounts for small sizes because of kids and such, so they should," Clara replied. There were families that liked to go bowling and that usually meant that young kids would be with them. "I believe the balls are smaller and lighter. I mean, they would have to or no families with small children would ever go and that would be bad for their business."

"I guess," Aiden kept that in mind. With two more throws remaining, Aiden knocked down five, then nine pins. The game ended, and the toy joined Clara on the bench. "Aren't you hungry, love? I don't mind us stopping for you to eat."

"I suppose I am getting a bit hungry. I guess I really wasn't noticing though since we were having fun and you don't have to eat," Clara responded back. "It feels weird since you can't eat, but I do need to get something. Even though you can't, is there any kind of food place you've been curious about? At least to just be in?"

"Well, what's around here?" Aiden asked. He liked having multiple choices, if any. Plus, he hadn't been outside much.

"The typical stuff really. There's fancy restaurants that serve different types of food like one for Italian, Chinese, American, all sorts of different types. Then there's fast food places like hamburgers, fried chicken, tacos. Ah, and there's sandwich places too where you can buy whatever kind of sandwich you want," she replied. "Foods pretty popular around here so there are tons of choices."

"I'm all for Italian. Plus, it'd binteresting to see people's reactions when they see me," Aiden grinned.

"Alright, then Italian we'll do," Clara replied. She had no idea how they would act, but it was as good of a time as any to try it. She stood up again. She thought about the bag for him and then sighed. "You know what, let's skip the bag. You can walk on your own. Let's see what happens. Most people are so busy with themselves anyway they probably won't even notice."

"Thank goodness," Aiden sighed. He didn't mind the bag, but he was more than relieved to walk freely.

"But I will say we should hold hands. I know you aren't a child, but I would feel more comfortable that you would be safer if I knew exactly where you were," Clara replied. She also thought that most people wouldn't even realize he was a doll that way because they were most likely be too busy to be paying attention enough.

"That's fine, least I get to walk freely," Aiden climbed off the bench and gently grasped her hand. Considering the circumstances, he could see why she assumed this to be safer for now.

Last edited:
Clara took hold of his hand. She really didn't want him to feel like she was treating him as some child, but she was glad he understood her reasoning. "Alright, let's head to that restaurant then," she replied. She walked with him as they left the arcade then made their way down the sidewalks. Most people didn't even bother to notice them, though they did get a couple glances. They continued along their way to the Italian place. Once they arrived, Clara asked for a seat for two and they were taken to a table shortly after. So far, no one even asked about Aiden.

Once at their table, which was positioned by a window, Aiden climbed into a seat and pulled himself in, hands folded on the cloth-covered wood, head barely reaching passed it.
Minutes later, a bespectacled, auburn-haired waitress approached, smiling brightly, clipboard in hand. To Clara, she asked, "Hello, how are you?"

Clara sat down and took a look at the menu. She glanced over at the waitress when she arrived. "I'll have some lasagna," she commented. She glanced over at Aiden for a moment, but she knew he couldn't eat anything. But she wasn't sure if the waitress was going to figure out that he couldn't or not. She wondered if they were going to have to explain.

"Anything to drink?" the waitress took Clara's order down.
"Hi, hun," Aiden greeted, grinning.
The waitress wearily glanced from the toy to Clara. "Did that thing just...?"

"I'll just take some water," Clara replied to answer the question. Then Aiden talked and the waitress seemed to be a bit confused. "Yes, he did. Yes, he's alive. We don't really know how either, but he's just like anyone else. Except, he can't actually eat so you don't have to worry about asking him what he wants." She knew it was a lot to take in at the same time, but honestly, she really didn't want to have to take forever to explain what Aiden was or how when they didn't even know.

Still perplexed, the waitress just bobbed her head. "...Okay. I'll be back with your food."
Tucking the clipboard under an arm, she headed back into the kitchen and called, "one lasagna and water, please!"
"Thank you, Darlene," said one of the cooks.
She nodded, then pursed her lips. "That table has a talking doll."
"A...waht?"
"A talking doll," Darlene repeated. "The woman with it said it's...just alive for some unknown reason. It said hello to me. I thought she just forgot to turn it off, but the thing was moving and blinking on its own, plus it saying hi straight to me."
"Uh...okay," the cook, a tall, muscular woman, cocked her head. "I'll just take your word."
Nodding, Darlene left the kitchen to wait another table, the thought of that doll plaguing her mind...and the staff who overheard the conversation.