A Decade Passed

B

Blackangel

Original poster
wtc.jpg

September 11, 2001

It started as a beautiful September Morning...but by the time the end, It would become the darkest day in our history.

2,983 People lost their lives, Over 400 of them Emergency Responders to the World Trade Center.

September 11, 2011

9-11-Memorial-South-Pool.jpg
A decade later, Bin Laden killed, And a World remembers.

We Must never Forget Those who gave everything

The firefighters,

View attachment 4332

Police,

police.jpg

Even the Brave Souls aboard United Flight 93

flight93crashsite.jpg

WE SHALL NEVER FORGET!

One day there will be an end to fear, and an end to the hatred it inspires.

It may take a very, very, very long time.

I hope I'm not too old to see it - the true end to the War on Terror - the terror engendered by the cycles of misinterpreted religion, vengeance and ignorance.

To my last day I will attest that all the worst things come from fear. These are the tantrums of a childish race. And one day we shall grow into ourselves.

We shall no longer be the nervous newbie afraid to post in roleplays or the angst-ridden teenager flaming in the Cbox. But we shall be the oldbies who joke around and the staff members who work together to build something for all to enjoy.

Remembering 9/11

I shall keep things brief, for many of us the constant media bombardments of the 9/11 have been non-ending and doesn't allow for a proper reflection.

It has been a decade since that day. For those of us aware of our surroundings back then; we will forever remember the events.

However, that is not what I wish to invoke.

I believe a simple poem written in 1932 by a young Jewish woman by the name of Mary Frye is one of the most solemn and truthful memorials to all those that passed away on this day.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.​

My message, use this day to reflect on life itself.

How have you changed in this decade? Have you been living life to its fullest?

To many, these attacks prove the evil in humanity. What exactly is evil, then? It is, perhaps, best summed up in simple terms. Evil is when you become so fanatical with your own self beliefs that you fail to recognize your fellow man as being human just like you.

Have you helped others? Have you been kind to your fellow human beings?

It does not matter, if you are American, European, Canadian, etc, etc.

Never forget your own humanity; that is importance of remembrance.

In the end, this is what is most important; be the best person you can be.

Re: Remembering 9/11

A deep poem, Rory. I feel emotionally affected by it; by the post altogether.

I try to be the best person I can, for the world and for the people I love. To avoid the start of fights that could become something as unfortunate as this one. That was a sad day for America; for humankind.

I'll never forget.

It's been a decade & I can still remember that day so vividly. As a young child, it was something that changed the way I saw America. And for some years, it took away that 'proud to be American' feeling and covered it up with shame. But now that I am older, I can understand. And even if other people still have misconceptions, I will believe what I believe.

I think 9/11, aside from the propaganda and the controversies, in a smaller sense, brought us New Yorkers together. In the long run, after we were done sneering and throwing suspicious glances at each other, it sort of brought us together, as all disaster does.

&I think that Rory's selection of poetry really comes to the heart of the matter. "Don't stand at my grave and cry, I am not there I did not die." Those people who lost their lives, whether on the plane, in the tower or saving others, they did not die. They will live forever in the legacy of the day.

So, even if it was difficult coming to the tenth year, it is easier now, people breathe easier now.
&I'm thankful for the lesson of humanity, that our lives are too short to keep mourning. We must move on to do better things~

9/11 probably had a great deal of influence on who I am today. I'm thankful for how it made me a better person.

I was around four years old when these attacks happened on September 11, 2001.
I do not remember the day that much except for the constant news that ran over TV screens for days/weeks.
But even then, I have grown with the stories of that day. The legends of the Heroes, and the embraces of the impact and the influence that is now thrived throughout America.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." -Ronald Reagan

Think about that.

If people in this generation had not stood up and joined the forces in fighting for America, and even the world, America could have easily been won over by the attacks. If one day, a generation, may it be a hundred years from now, if that generation decides to not fight for what they believe in or for their country/freedom, freedom as we know it could be no more.

When my parents were younger, they never had to worry about their parents going to war or even having to worry about America being attacked. The generation before me, before us, was almost worried-free in America.

But in 2001, when the attacks showed doom over our nation, we knew that a new generation would have to stand up and protect our freedom. Teenagers, already armed Troops, firemen, policemen, normal everyday citizens, they all came forth.

Over the past ten years, 3.2 million American Troops have been shipped to war over seas. Many have died and many have come back safe. Many have gone more than once.
It truly shows though, that we do not let such attacks threaten our freedom, our unity, and there has also been clarity that has been gained.

On 9.11, the three thousand people who died, we know, will always live on as a legacy.
Never will we forget, and forever we will pass the story on to our children, grandchildren, and to all the generations afterwards.

We will always come back stronger then what we were before.
This is what 9.11 has showed us.

Unity. Pride. Strength. Clarity.

The complete opposite of what Bin Laden wanted.

America - A nation that never lets anything threaten our freedom, our hope, or our pride.

We will always fight back.
And we will always remember.