A Crown of Bones -Accepting-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished! And I have a question: to what extent can mages work magics other than their primary/secondary?

None. you can possibly learn more through the rp but I think limiting it to only two is a good start. Even if you do learn more, they'll never be as strong as your primary school.

This doesn't mean secondary schools are useless, but for example your character won't be able to perform exorcisms or purifications as easily as someone with Puras as a primary. The likelihood of a spell backfiring or not working to the desired effect is far greater with secondary schools. It will be possible to unlock more schools of magic or possibly have multiple primaries through achievements, which will be rewarded after landmark events and be based on your playstyle.

2 things: If your secondary were the same school as your primary, would it be slightly easier to use given similar energy types?
Second: Will shades have the same potential to learn a secondary as a mage does to learn a second secondary?

2 things: If your secondary were the same school as your primary, would it be slightly easier to use given similar energy types?
Second: Will shades have the same potential to learn a secondary as a mage does to learn a second secondary?

You mean the same branch? There are three branches and if your secondary and primary were from the same branch, no that wouldn't make you stronger but it would probably make you a more prominent Mage. For example, say a Mage gets primaries in Puras, Fortus, and Juvos: they would effectively become masters of Restos and at that point yes, they'd probably get an achievement to make their Restos spells more powerful and they'll also likely be famous within the context of the RP. Even the archmages usually only excel in one or two schools of magic (though they are unmatched in their mastery over it) excelling at an entire branch is a huge feat.

Shades will also be able to learn more magic, but they are going to face more limitations on how quickly they learn and how much they can learn. Shades will never match mage's in magic and guardians in weapon skill, but what they lack in those areas they make up for in the fact that they are nigh unstopable, since a shade can only be killed through an exorcism / strong Puras magic.

I meant like:
There are 2 mages with the same achievements and assigned skills. One has Puras as a Primary and Restos as a secondary. The other has Puras as a primary and Ilius as a secondary. Would the first find using Restos easier than the second's ability to use Ilius, because Puras and Restos are from the same branch and therefore work on similar energy patterns?
Also yeah that makes sense about the shades, and it's what I expected. I was just asking whether they were permanently limited to only a Primary or whether they'd always have one set less than a normal mage.

I meant like:
There are 2 mages with the same achievements and assigned skills. One has Puras as a Primary and Restos as a secondary. The other has Puras as a primary and Ilius as a secondary. Would the first find using Restos easier than the second's ability to use Ilius, because Puras and Restos are from the same branch and therefore work on similar energy patterns?
The magic used is very similar but no, choosing two schools from the same branch does not inherently make them easier to use. What will improve your ability to use them are achievements, which will be rewarded based on actions. If the mage with Puras and Ilius spends most of thier time purifying allies, then they'll probably get some achievements to increase their power in Puras, at which point they could potentially become a better purifier then the mage with Juvos + Puras.

I think I mentioned this in the OP, but the success or failure of plot affecting actions taken by your characters will be determined by me. In other words: If an ally is wounded and you have your character try to heal them, whether the healing is enough or not is going to be determined by me. If you are the only healer present I will probably allow the ally to be restored. However, If I notice that a player character who has dedicated themselves to healing is present, I will alter the situation to make the dedicated healer a necessity. Still using your example, we'll say an an ally was just poisoned. Sure maybe the Puras + Illius mage could purify the poison but as a GM I could simply say 'The poison already did too much damage and hence the ally rolls over dead." If the mage with Puras + Juvos was looking after that ally then they might have lived. In other words scenarios like these will be determined as they happen in the manner that makes the most sense. If you are the only dedicated healer in the group then you can bet your ass I'm going to make sure no one is better at your job then you.

Does that make sense? The characters aren't inherently stronger then another character, but depending on the situation they may or may not be the right person for the job.

Sounds good. Im interested about what you'll do for achievements for my character though who's battle strategy is just to surprise people :D

Added an image. Is the rest of my CS is accepted?

Added an image. Is the rest of my CS is accepted?
Yup. I like it.

@ Everyone

IC will be going up this weekend. I have some of it written already but I need to finish it.

IC is up.

EDIT: By the way, there is no right or wrong faction to side with.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the thread title. I'm going to start working on a character sheet. I love the concept you have here.

Question, though; you mentioned demonic possession once or twice. Would it be possible to create a possessed character?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the thread title. I'm going to start working on a character sheet. I love the concept you have here.

Question, though; you mentioned demonic possession once or twice. Would it be possible to create a possessed character?

depends on how you intend to use it. Demons are agents of destruction so they would be working contantly to destroy their host and the things around them, and there is no such thing as 'taming' a demon, so it's not like that being possessed could potentially net you any special powers.

Also, in order for a demon to cross into the physical world the gate to hell (The Gate of Fire) has to be weakened somehow, which usually happens for a brief moment if a necromancer is sucked in. In the necromancer section, remember the whirlpool that tried to suck people in when they took souls? Well that's the gate to hell. To be possessed that means you had to have been around a necromancer trying to grab a soul. The necromancer failed, was dragged to hell, and for whatever reason their body was rendered an inert vessle for the demon so it latched onto the closest thing it could before it was pulled back across to the other realm (You).

I'm hesitant to allow it because I'm affraid demons might be used / portrayed improperly. However if you can convince me that you can write a possessed character well then I may consider it.

The idea I have isn't a person with a slaved demon inside them, but a demon fully in control of a human vessel that wants to influence the war to become as violent and gruesome as possible. He is cunning and manipulative, aiding the side he likes most but not beyond switching allegiance.

And he shoots hellfire out of his hands.

The idea I have isn't a person with a slaved demon inside them, but a demon fully in control of a human vessel that wants to influence the war to become as violent and gruesome as possible. He is cunning and manipulative, aiding the side he likes most but not beyond switching allegiance.

And he shoots hellfire out of his hands.

Write up a CS and if I like the Bio I will allow it. He would need to be a pyromaner to shoot fire out of his hands. Demons don't carry any powers with them across the gate (but they do carry knowledge, about magic, hell? And the gates) so you'd still be limited in this world as other characters are (ie your host would need to be a Mage to use magic, demonic or otherwise). You could use your unique traits to unlock more demonic capabilities.

That sounds reasonably in line with what I had in mind myself. I'll get to work.

I would also be hesitant. People (including myself) assumed demons in this RP to be the usual firey balrog-like monsters or fallen angel-type humanoids, but in this RP they feel more like non-sentient spirits who act upon instinct.

Name: Grimspyre/Lythos.

Nationality: Kainite.

Class: Mage (Possessed).

Schools of Magic known: Pyros and Hexus, primary and secondary respectively.

Appearance:
7a2b9e3ada49f3f147512812dd104cd2.jpg

Biography: The body now used by the entity called Grimspyre used to belong to a young Kainite mage called Lythos. He was born in a large family to poor parents, but he had bigger aspirations, fuelled by the faraway wonders he saw every day being traded in Kain. Through his loitering and gawking in the marketplace he came in touch with an old man who sold all sorts of strange trinkets and artifacts. Intrigued, Lythos started hanging out with the old man almost every day and slowly managed to weasel out a fact about the old man that changed his life forever: the old man was a feral mage.

After much begging and pleading, Lythos eventually got the old man to agree to be his teacher. Visions of power and influence were suddenly within Lythos's reach. The old man, who had seemed benevolent at first, turned out to have a much more sinister side. He was an accomplished pyromancer and warlock. Lythos was far from deterred, however; he had a mean steak that immediately took to these powers well.

Through the old man's connections (the trinkets came from somewhere, after all) Lythos met another young, ambitious man. A runaway mage from the far north who had escaped with knowledge of necromancy and wanted to put it to use. Even further intrigued, Lythos agreed to help with the preparations for the ritual of the Scorpion Gate and to watch over the aspiring necromancer's body.

That, of course, is when everything went wrong. The young necromancer turned out to be too weak for the ritual and his heart gave out as his soul was pulled into hell. From the abyss beyond the Gate of Fire came a monstrous being, a damnable shadow named Grimspyre, who surged into the physical world and latched itself onto Lythos with ease. The young mage was no match for the demon's mind and the possession was complete; the sheer magical shock of the possession bleached Lythos's hair and eyes white.

Immediate carnage was the first thing that followed. Grimspyre cut a swath northwards, searing the Great Expanse with dhuumfire as he went. Eventually his primal instinct to destroy subsided and as he entered Ferros, he did so under the cover of anonimity, huddled in Lythos's red pyromancer robes.

Driven by knowledge of a war raging further north, gleaned from the necromancer's mind during his death, Grimspyre traveled to Valaria. He discovered more about the combating factions from eavesdropping on the road and in wayside inns; the nobles, the People's Army, the Valeans... amused by all the human intrigue, Grimspyre started plotting. As he reached the wartorn areas, he indulged in a few raids and mass murders to satisfy his own destructive urges, but he had loftier plans than that... almost as if a little piece of Lythos's personality still existed within Grimspyre.

Masquerading as a simple pyromancer looking to fight for the people, Grimspyre joined the People's Army and played a large part in the defeat of Lord Sivik's detachment as the Army marched for Vespar. Those soldiers had not been prepared to face a demon on the field of battle.

See, Grimspyre reasoned that a ragtag group of disenfranchised peasants could easily be convinced to indulge in vast amounts of cruelty with the right amount of persuasion. He delighted in spurring them on in the heat of battle and watching them eagerly lay into their enemies with pitchforks and scythes.

Now they are almost at Vespar's gates, and Grimspyre is very much looking forward to the sacking...

Traits:
- Stealth
- Power II
- Knowledge

Unique Abilities:
- Dhuumfire: Lythos had been a talented pyromancer before his possession, but there is nothing in all of existence that knows more about fire than a demon. Grimspyre applied his hellish knowledge to create dhuumfire; searing gouts of flame that erupt into blue fire after a few feet, screaming with the souls of the dammed, accompanied by a great rush of air as vast amounts of oxygen are consumed. Sand turns to glass, steel plate melts, stone collapses into lava and flesh and bone simply cease to be. Dhuumfire costs a great amount of mana, however, and can only be used in short (but devastating) bursts. Like all flame, it can be blocked by enchantments or wards, but the sheer intensity of dhuumfire means it will eat through all but the strongest defenses quickly. And, of course, magic is magic. Guardians would put an end to it quickly.
- Hellish Presence: Being in the general vicinity of Grimspyre will drive people to commit greater acts of cruelty than they normally would. Negative emotions like rage and hatred are amplified, inhibiting factors like empathy are diminished, and even a pacifist will suddenly find pleasure in violence.

Achievements: (Will be awarded throughout the RP)

Equipment: Nothing but his red robes and a little bit of money. Grimspyre doesn't fight with weapons on account of not knowing how.

Motivation: To sow as much discord and strife as possible, and to escalate the war to an ever greater level of conflict and suffering.

Name: Grimspyre/Lythos.

Nationality: Kainite.

Class: Mage (Possessed).

Schools of Magic known: Pyros and Hexus, primary and secondary respectively.

Appearance:
7a2b9e3ada49f3f147512812dd104cd2.jpg

Biography: The body now used by the entity called Grimspyre used to belong to a young Kainite mage called Lythos. He was born in a large family to poor parents, but he had bigger aspirations, fuelled by the faraway wonders he saw every day being traded in Kain. Through his loitering and gawking in the marketplace he came in touch with an old man who sold all sorts of strange trinkets and artifacts. Intrigued, Lythos started hanging out with the old man almost every day and slowly managed to weasel out a fact about the old man that changed his life forever: the old man was a feral mage.

After much begging and pleading, Lythos eventually got the old man to agree to be his teacher. Visions of power and influence were suddenly within Lythos's reach. The old man, who had seemed benevolent at first, turned out to have a much more sinister side. He was an accomplished pyromancer and warlock. Lythos was far from deterred, however; he had a mean steak that immediately took to these powers well.

Through the old man's connections (the trinkets came from somewhere, after all) Lythos met another young, ambitious man. A runaway mage from the far north who had escaped with knowledge of necromancy and wanted to put it to use. Even further intrigued, Lythos agreed to help with the preparations for the ritual of the Scorpion Gate and to watch over the aspiring necromancer's body.

That, of course, is when everything went wrong. The young necromancer turned out to be too weak for the ritual and his heart gave out as his soul was pulled into hell. From the abyss beyond the Gate of Fire came a monstrous being, a damnable shadow named Grimspyre, who surged into the physical world and latched itself onto Lythos with ease. The young mage was no match for the demon's mind and the possession was complete; the sheer magical shock of the possession bleached Lythos's hair and eyes white.

Immediate carnage was the first thing that followed. Grimspyre cut a swath northwards, searing the Great Expanse with dhuumfire as he went. Eventually his primal instinct to destroy subsided and as he entered Ferros, he did so under the cover of anonimity, huddled in Lythos's red pyromancer robes.

Driven by knowledge of a war raging further north, gleaned from the necromancer's mind during his death, Grimspyre traveled to Valaria. He discovered more about the combating factions from eavesdropping on the road and in wayside inns; the nobles, the People's Army, the Valeans... amused by all the human intrigue, Grimspyre started plotting. As he reached the wartorn areas, he indulged in a few raids and mass murders to satisfy his own destructive urges, but he had loftier plans than that... almost as if a little piece of Lythos's personality still existed within Grimspyre.

Masquerading as a simple pyromancer looking to fight for the people, Grimspyre joined the People's Army and played a large part in the defeat of Lord Sivik's detachment as the Army marched for Vespar. Those soldiers had not been prepared to face a demon on the field of battle.

See, Grimspyre reasoned that a ragtag group of disenfranchised peasants could easily be convinced to indulge in vast amounts of cruelty with the right amount of persuasion. He delighted in spurring them on in the heat of battle and watching them eagerly lay into their enemies with pitchforks and scythes.

Now they are almost at Vespar's gates, and Grimspyre is very much looking forward to the sacking...

Traits:
- Stealth
- Power II
- Knowledge

Unique Abilities:
- Dhuumfire: Lythos had been a talented pyromancer before his possession, but there is nothing in all of existence that knows more about fire than a demon. Grimspyre applied his hellish knowledge to create dhuumfire; searing gouts of flame that erupt into blue fire after a few feet, screaming with the souls of the dammed, accompanied by a great rush of air as vast amounts of oxygen are consumed. Sand turns to glass, steel plate melts, stone collapses into lava and flesh and bone simply cease to be. Dhuumfire costs a great amount of mana, however, and can only be used in short (but devastating) bursts. Like all flame, it can be blocked by enchantments or wards, but the sheer intensity of dhuumfire means it will eat through all but the strongest defenses quickly. And, of course, magic is magic. Guardians would put an end to it quickly.
- Hellish Presence: Being in the general vicinity of Grimspyre will drive people to commit greater acts of cruelty than they normally would. Negative emotions like rage and hatred are amplified, inhibiting factors like empathy are diminished, and even a pacifist will suddenly find pleasure in violence.

Achievements: (Will be awarded throughout the RP)

Equipment: Nothing but his red robes and a little bit of money. Grimspyre doesn't fight with weapons on account of not knowing how.

Motivation: To sow as much discord and strife as possible, and to escalate the war to an ever greater level of conflict and suffering.

Looks good. It will probably be a few GM posts before the army arrives at the wall. You could try to make an excuse to scout ahead to place your character in Vespar, or you could wait, or if I have at least one other person interested in starting with the people's army I will write up a scene for that. I want players to be in groups of at least two.

• Thank You
Reactions: H. J. Wimbleton
I can be infiltrating the people's army if you want, under the pretense of being some kind of local who just decided to join in.

I can be infiltrating the people's army if you want, under the pretense of being some kind of local who just decided to join in.

Its whatever you would rather do. The only reason for wanting groups of at least two is because I want to dissuade lone wolf characters.

The only reason for wanting groups of at least two is because I want to dissuade lone wolf characters.

Awwww shoot, sorry about that. I went ahead and posted without planning ahead with anybody. If you'd like, I can change it to fit with what other characters are doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.