A City Betwixt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vivian held on to her silence, letting the conversation go on by over the table. It seemed to her that what Alexander wanted was mostly details of their hunt, and while ordinarily she would have leaped at the chance to help anyone with their personal struggle through Lambrecht she remembered painfully little of the hunt. The girl's eyes only returned upwards to see what Rhys had placed on the table, and widened slightly for only a moment as she realized it was the ruined stump of what had formerly been a human arm. It wasn't really a surprise, a confirmation of the label she'd placed on the man only seconds prior. He was, however, different in that she had never been around the wounded long enough to see a good number of them reach a level of acceptance where they were showing their war wounds over drinks. That reminded her of her own, and Vivian slowly raised the glass to her face, taking another testing sip of the unfulfilling liquid. Maybe it was just something that took getting used to.

Alana lowered her eyes to see what the fuss was about, and was stunned to see that Rhys's arm ended in a white-wrapped stump. She couldn't help but stare for a few moments, convincing herself that yes, there was nothing where a hand should've been, but then she remembered her manners and forced herself to look back up. If Rhys wasn't a hunter, then how did he lose his hand? Was it an accident? That would explain why he was being so cagey about it. "Ah...I see," Alana said, if only to get the last word in on the conversation. She wasn't quite sure what to say after that. What do you say to someone who's seen too much?

Domino cocked his head sideways as he turned towards Sam. He motioned out towards the seemingly miles-wide field. "I don't see any sign of a forest around here..." His eyes widened for a moment. Were they even in the same world where they'd fought Mavo? He still didn't fully understand how the Gate worked. What if these places weren't even connected? He shook his head. Sam was the one who wanted to theorize about these things. He was just along for the ride. A strong breeze blew toward the two of them. "Right, I guess we should look for a path or something. We should at least find some shelter, it looks like it's going to rain soon." Domino stopped as he ended his statement, ducking beneath the tall grass. He smelled something on that breeze. Alcohol? It seemed unlikely, but all the same he had smelled it. He motioned for Sam to duck down with him and began creeping through the grass towards the origin of the smell.

As Domino peaked out through the grass, he realized they were now next to the tree he had noticed earlier. Sitting beneath the tree was an older looking man. His skin was dark, and covered in scars. His hair was white, short and curly, and he bore a white beard. He wore no shirt, but his body had a few bandages wrapped around it's midsection. Even so, it was easy to tell the man was incredibly muscular. Upon closer inspection, it became obvious the man was missing his right arm in it's entirety. It seemed the bandages originated from that shoulder. The old man wore a strange skirt-like garment around his legs, that was made of simple brown fabric, and no shoes. In his left hand he clutched a gourd, and after he few moments he took a long gulp from it. He sat with his back against the bare tree. A sword leaned against the tree beside him. The weapon had a sharply curving blade that appeared to have been fashioned from bronze, given it's color. The hilt was made of carved Ivory.

Domino nudged Sam. "I'd guess this guy is a demon." The young man's hands reached into his coat. He gave Sam a nod. "Well, you wanted to talk to a demon, here's your chance. If he attacks you I'll come out and surprise him." The assassin surveyed their target. Surely a man with such a crippling condition wouldn't put up much of a fight. He reminded himself of the perseverance Mavo had shown. He couldn't let his guard down, regardless of the man's appearance.

Alexander watched as Rhys revealed his hand, or rather, his lack thereof. He scratched at his beard for a moment. He strongly doubted that the wound, despite it's severity, was really preventing the man from fighting. Their earlier conversation had seemed to imply he was perfectly capable physically. He pondered the subject for a few more moments before breaking the silence. He motioned towards Rhys' arm. "I've always thought it was a bit of a cruel joke the way people end up at this place. I've seen plenty who come in so debilitated they can barely walk, much less fight. It seems a bit counter-productive, but I suppose that's how life...er...death? is." He shook his head. "So where did you all come from? Have you been in this place long?" Regardless of situation, Alexander's tone never seemed appropriate.

Alana gave a snort at Alexander's wording. Everything about this place was a cruel joke. "Not long, no," she said. "I don't remember too much about where I came from, just what I did." And moments after she said that, the realization hit her. She really didn't remember much. What year had it been? What was the name of her hometown? None of it came to mind. She had always put so much focus on her experiences that the importance of details like that had alluded her. It was disorienting, to say the least. "I...was a tough warrior," she continued, trying to wave away her hesitation. "I came to others looking for a fight, and when I didn't get money, I got experience." She was being purposefully vague; something about Alexander's tone made her uneasy and unwilling to impart too much information. The same thing had happened with Sam and her instincts turned out to have a good reason behind them.

Sam approached the one-armed old man cautiously while Domino stayed close to the anonymity of the shadows. He recognized some of the swordsman's attire - hakama, sarashi, katana...everything about the man suggested samurai, perhaps a ronin, or at the least a kenshi. There were enough differences that Sam wasn't entirely certain the old man was from his homeworld of Earth, but enough similarities that perhaps he hailed from an analogous culture.

Sam knelt in front of him. "Good afternoon." The old man seemed to ignore him. Sam's danger sense tingled, but he merely smirked. If the demon wanted to attack him, he was welcome to make the attempt. From this position, he had a half-dozen countermeasures he could slip into. Four of them hurt. Two of them killed. "I'd like to ask you some questions."

The white haired man raised is eyes as Sam left the seclusion of the tall grass. He remained silent for a moment, listening to the man's words before placing a cork firmly in the opening of his gourd. He placed the vessel gently on the ground by his side and rose to his feet. For a moment he looked at the man, before giving a deep bow. As he rose, a low, gravelly voice bearing a strange accent escape from his lips. "Greetings. I am Djun." He waited a moment for the man to introduce himself. There was a moment of silence, and the sweeping winds blew across the field, rustling the thick grass. "I will answer your questions." The man took a seat again, and reached for the gourd. He removed three small wooden cups that had been tied to the side of the vessel and placed them on the ground. After quickly uncorking the gourd, he filled each of the containers in an even amount and nodded toward Sam.

"Please, sit and have a drink. It is customary." His eyes glanced toward the grass behind the old man. "Your companion may join us as well, if he wishes." Domino cursed to himself, rising from the grass. How had the man noticed him? He shook his head, walking toward Sam and Djun. At the very least, and much to the young assassins surprise, it seemed the demon was willing to accept Sam's request. The young man took a seat on the grassy hill and picked up the cup that had been prepared for him, looking at it suspiciously. Djun shook his head. "There is no deceit here, young man. I assure you." He took his own cup, gulping the liquid down before refilling it. "Now then, what is it you'd like to ask of Djun?" The man's dark eyes came to rest upon Sam.

Sam sat full lotus in front of the old swordsman, quaffing his drink with only a brief hesitation at his lips. If it was poison, he would simply regenerate at Lambrecht. If it were some manner of liquid magic, his Empiric Field would nullify its effects. Besides, it seemed like a decent distillation. There was a sharp burning sensation as alcohol washed down his throat. With the ease of a veteran drinker, he knocked it back it in one go.

"Tell me about demons," he said simply. "What makes you? What is it about the Grey Plains that turns people into you? And how can we reverse it? And most importantly...what do you demons know that Argyle is not telling us?"

Vivian stared into the water as Alexander asked his questions. She would have certainly liked to know where exactly she came from, but in light of everything she had seen, and was currently seeing, its name held little or no value. The general description was enough, and that was what she actually had. The blue clad girl sat still as Alana gave her answer, it was Vivian's first time hearing it as well and she found herself listening intently. It came as no surprise that she was a warrior of some sort, although Vivian had yet to actually witness her fighting. Again she was reminded that she was either holding the dying or laying with the dead the entirety of their hunt. The woman didn't have much else to say on her past life, nor did anyone it seemed. She spoke up in the silence that followed, her head lifting slightly to look from the water to the people around the table. "I do not recollect much either. I am... was a cleric of some kind. I helped the wounded, and I don't even know where they came from. There was a war." Her words fell apart as she grasped at the details. There were flashes of memory, all of which retreated from her mind when she tried to put them to words. It was something akin to fatigue, without the physical aspect. Things had been clearer earlier in the day, but she did not feel as though anything had changed to warrant it. "And today is the earliest I remember of being, well, here." The girl shrugged, and her head almost drifted back down, but she thought of an opportunity and seized upon it. Vivian looked back up to Alexander and Rhys. "What about the two of you? Do your memories also suffer?" She was being driven by an onset of curiosity. Thus far, all evidence pointed to everyone in Lambrecht being the same, but Alexander struck her as an irregular and asking Rhys was only polite.

Reactions: Moogle-Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.