5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Monsters, supernatural, fantasy, romance, criminality, slice-of-life (modern or set in past, usually with some twists)
l.png

It had been an emotional few months for Indigo. The young witch had undergone a major loss, which in itself was bad enough, but then had somehow been given the duty of tracking down the next ruler for the realm; a duty that nobody wanted but, because of his inability to really say no, Indigo was forced into. The duty was impossibly important - the entire fate of his realm and the population within it all but rested on him; if he failed to find someone biologically related to the former Queen -however distant-, he knew his head would be on the chopping block. Literally, in fact.

Thus, he wasn't allowed to properly grieve the loss of a woman who had taken him under her wing and given him opportunities he could only have dreamt of. She plucked him out of obscurity and placed him in the position as her aide and physician and, eventually, a dear friend. It made her loss all the more heartbreaking for him. He wasn't just losing the remarkable Queen everyone knew, but he was losing a friend. Given his lack of friends his whole life, losing someone who brought him so much joy was horrendous - but the duty placed upon him left any attempt to grieve all but impossible. He pushed it back, knowing that the importance of tracking her family ancestry needed to take precedence over his emotions.

That said, it took everything in him not to have a breakdown over those months. He had countless sleepless nights, having to induce himself into sleep through spells and herbal remedies. He shut himself away for hours, only to emerge red-eyed and sick through the almost insurmountable stress. Not even the comfort of his Familiar, D'njaru, could relieve him. In the end, such persistence paid off, having managed to find a suitable heir through intense research and hours upon hours of dedicated reading in the archives. Any relief was shortly cut by the fact he could trace the other's position to the human realm; a realm no creature from his own was permitted to leave. It didn't stop the possibility of one or two slipping through the cracks which was, he imagined, how Daniel came to be in the human realm. The idea of breaking rules set in place by the former Queen haunted him, Indigo often being a stickler for them, but the gravity of the situation all but pushed him into bending the rules, on a one-time-only basis.

If he could return to the realm with a suitable heir, then he could forgive himself for breaking the rule to do so. It was either that, or have no ruler and watch his realm fall to chaos and destruction, and nobody wanted that. Especially not Indigo, who would ultimately be blamed for allowing it to happen.

And so, Indigo had little choice but to venture out to a realm he, quite literally, knew nothing about. He knew what humans were, but had only read about them; not of the countries and places they inhabited. With a letter to his parents explaining his decision -one they took great worry in-, he left to seek out Daniel with no belongings; only his trusty spell book and Dee. He didn't think he would be that long in the realm, anticipating the duration of his stay at a few hours at the most, so what was the point in lugging along suitcases? Even though he assumed Daniel was brought up a human, he really didn't think there would be much difficulty in convincing him to head to the realm he belonged in, to take up a position of incredible power. It was an opportunity that would be difficult to turn down, and Indigo anticipated no such event taking place; he, perhaps naively, expected Daniel to be fully aware of what he was and happy to be taken to a place that he could practise his magic in openly.

Difficulties instantly arose when Indigo realised, in horror, that he had no idea where he was or how to find the boy. He landed in the middle of Mississippi, the place he somehow managed to track Daniel to. It was the only information he had, and it hadn't occurred to him that Daniel had moved, like he had done himself, in the hope of achieving bigger and better things. Instead, Indigo was left in the middle of a city he didn't know, bewildered by everything his eyes could see. He had no knowledge of human transport, technology or, quite simply, of humans themselves, leaving him absolutely terrified of the bustling city he had found himself in. It was then he realised that his stay in the human realm might be far longer than he first thought.

What followed was a long month of tracking Daniel down. He had stumbled upon social media after, naively, asking a random person on the street how to help find Daniel. They assumed he was foreign -which was accurate- and explained, patronisingly slow and loud, that he ought to use Facebook to track someone down. Not even knowing what a laptop was, a week of studying how to work one ensued, the witch spending long nights in a hotel room in utter amazement at the technology. It all led to him finding Daniel on Facebook and, eventually, making the journey up to New York City, this time having the ability to search on Google what to expect when he got there.

Nothing could have prepared him for how busy the place was, the crowds sending the witch into an immediate anxiety attack, which only Dee could help him recover from. He quickly realised, again, that he had no idea where specifically Daniel would be, which made him feel all but useless. It was by sheer fortuitous luck that he had been sat in a small cafe one day when Daniel wandered in. There was no suggesting that he would go there again but, being too nervous to approach him on that day, Indigo decided he would venture back to the same cafe at the same time in the hopes that Daniel would make a repeat appearance.

And so, sat with his new laptop open, still utterly fascinated with the thing, Indigo was patiently awaiting for Daniel to arrive - indeed, he hoped he would. He took the time to root through the other's social media, to see what sort of person he was. Admittedly, he didn't know what to make of him, because the various pictures of his friends didn't strike joy into Indigo; they all looked like unsavoury characters, though he knew better than to judge by appearance alone.

"They might be nice, we can't assume anything," he murmured discreetly to the cat at his side, smiling towards Dee as he did his best to keep him hidden from view, having discovered not many places would allow him to enter their premises with the cat in his arms. It made sense to have Dee be in human form, but he also knew some people either found him intimidating from his size, or ended up flirting with him, and he didn't want Daniel to be distracted like that. "Maybe I should have messaged him first? On that Twitter thing. I could have messaged him, sent him some of those little yellow icons-- the smiley faces and whatnot. Everyone uses them, I'm sure he'd have come if I messaged him some of them, you know? I... what if he doesn't come? And if he does, how am I supposed to just... walk over and introduce myself? I can't do that, I suck at that. I know you can't answer me right now, but still, it helps to talk through all this aloud, Dee."

Unfortunately, all Dee could do was affectionately purr and nestle into the warlock's bag. The whole journey was exhausting and the fact that the only time he could be in his human form was the hotel was aggravating but he kept his annoyance to himself. Hopping to neatly hide under the table by resting on Indigo's lap once getting bored of the bag. It also helped to be able to keep an eye for anyone who passed by, admittedly being far more observant than his companion. So when he noticed the familiar pair of socks and beat-up sneakers he had seen in one of the photos of Daniel, he dug his nails into Indigo's legs and meowed quickly.

Daniel felt like shit. He was sober and didn't have enough to get a restock of his usual cocktail of meds but he could afford a coffee and a croissant to fill his stomach. He hadn't been particularly hungry lately, especially since one of his many spells of crippling depression had hit, so he also went to the cafe to force himself out in public. He hated it but he hated most of the things he had done in the past three years, evidently. Quietly ordering his usual, he earned a sympathetic smile from the barista who had been watching Daniel do the same thing for months now. Rubbing his forehead wearily, he took a seat down the furthest away from everyone possible.

The night had been shitty. He had the night off and instead went to a club he had no real reason to go to but he was too fucked up on the last if his stash to even know what was going on. He woke up covered in hickeys he didn't remember getting in his apartment with a woman he didn't remember hooking up with. He reluctantly kicked her out, immediately feeling bad for doing so not because he wanted her to stay but because he didn't want to make her angry when he inevitably had to kick her out. Getting dressed the best he could for the late summer weather, he managed to get out of bed and take a shower before dragging himself to the cafe. That led to the current moment, waiting patiently for his coffee as he buried his head in his arms. He just wanted the day to be over so he could go to bed again, only somewhat uncomfortable by the weird looks this stranger seemed to be giving him.

Reactions: potassiumboron
Spotting Daniel in the flesh -after wincing and grimacing down at Dee for the pain caused by his claws- was a sight that initially brought immense joy to Indigo. Months of hard work, exhaustion and stress had culminated in him finally discovering an heir, and no matter what, he was proud of himself for discovering Daniel. Only he and Dee had worked on such a monumental task, so while Indigo wasn't one to toot his own horn, he felt a distinct hit of pride fill him up once he acknowledged his and his Familiar's achievement.

Of course, that feeling of joy came to a halt when he took in for the first time just how dishevelled the other was. He hadn't known what to expect, but seeing him look so physically exhausted, with bruises along his arms from drug use (not that he knew that) was shocking. It wasn't the appearance of a man who would lead a kingdom, but again, Indigo wasn't to judge. He knew what it was like to experience hard times and have to sacrifice sleep to make money; he still hardly slept nowadays, even when he had plenty of money back home.

Nevertheless, he felt himself hesitate for the second time from approaching him, not quite sure how to just approach a stranger with the life-changing news of his right to a throne, especially one situated in an entirely separate realm. It didn't help that Indigo knew his faults; he wasn't charming or suave, abilities that might help sway a hesitant mind. He was awkward; a walking disaster waiting to happen, as a teacher had once callously told him after he tripped in class and sent books flying. He was well aware that he was inept in social situations and that, if he was just a little cuter or a little more charming, he wouldn't struggle so much. Yet here he was, having to use every ounce of inner strength he had to make the walk across to Daniel's table, taking care not to walk too fast. Once there, he took his time to think over his words, knowing that stammering along would make things uncomfortable.

"...Are you Daniel?" He asked quietly, deciding that it was best to ask in the form of a question, rather than admit he knew who he was and had spent a good two weeks following him on social media. "Do you mind if I-I sit down? I... I've been asked to deliver s-some news to you, it's... rather important," he smiled weakly, fiddling with the long sleeves of his sweater. He didn't take the opportunity to buy new clothes he couldn't get in his own realm - instead, he still gravitated towards the simple, comfortable clothing he could get anywhere at home. It was what he liked, and he had no desire to alter that about himself. What he wished he could alter was his ability to talk to people, but, given that flaw, he was left awkwardly smiling, unknowing how else to proceed. His voice, as usual, was thick with emotion, as though he would burst into tears at any given moment; an unfortunate element of him that only caused people to interrupt his conversations to ask him if he was alright. His dark rings under his eyes and the redness within them didn't help, either. "...It is important, I... I have to emphasise that, so... so... I'm Indigo. I... I've travelled a long way, so it would be nice to... get this business sorted out."

Forcing his head up from the table, he rubbed his forehead with a deep frown that of which only twisted into a grimace when someone took a seat in front of him rather rudely. He wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone, the interaction with the barista being enough for the day when he was getting to the real symptoms of withdrawal. He had a pounding headache to start and some coffee was hopefully going to fix it... not some annoying guy with his cat.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he admitted flatly as he watched the black cat hiding in the other's messenger back. "Must be some other Daniel because - I...." he began, though paused when he noticed just how upset the other seemed to be. Slowly closing his mouth, he looked around warily with his own tired eyes. "Look, are... you okay? Like, ah... I have a little extra bit of money, is that what you need help with?" He asked, his voice growing quiet.

He was more than confused as he spoke, though, realizing the new laptop the other seemed to be holding. Typically people who have nice computers who sit in cafes aren't the types who beg for money. The next logical thing was that he or a friend was in trouble, which only made him sit up with wide eyes.

"Look, I... I don't owe anyone money anymore, okay?" He whispered, his hands beginning to fiddle with one another anxiously. "Go tell whoever you work for to fuck off because I'm not in trouble, okay? I paid off everything and I'm... out of the red," he babbled on quickly, running a nervous pair of hands through his hair.

Indigo almost jumped at the hostility, his eyes widening more than ever at the cold display. Even when it softened somewhat, the harsh tone still unnerved him, to the point where he had taken a step back in preparation to walk away, deciding in that moment that this wasn't going to work. One look down at Dee in his side bag convinced him otherwise, well aware that his friend would only yell at him later if he did back out of all this, after spending so many months working to get to this point.

With a final push of confidence, he carefully took a seat and reached for some papers, taking a much needed swig of the pumpkin spice latte he had ordered; it had been his favourite drink since arriving in this realm. In fact, amongst the small things he liked here was the food and drink, having spent most of his time testing out new foods with Dee.

"No, I... I'm here on business, I... your great-great-auntie passed away several months ago, and you are the only heir I could find to her estate and everything she owned. I spent months tracking you down, a-a-at least let me explain -carefully- what this entails," he began, adopting a confident posture and tone. Of course, in his head, he looked professional and stern; in reality, his hands were shaking, he'd grown pale and his stammer was becoming worse than ever. The consequences of failure were undoubtedly playing on his mind, and he was losing faith that the man opposite him would take him seriously; he already looked like he hated him, after all.

"I... understand you were raised in a place called Mississippi, but... I'm sure you're aware of... your powers?" He began cautiously, lowering his voice to little above a whisper, hoping that Daniel at least knew of his magic. "...Your great-great-aunt was Queen; a-a dear friend of mine, in fact. I took it upon m-myself to... to track down an heir to her kingdom and realm, and... and t-that's you, so... so maybe... we could leave soon? I-I know this is a lot, but... but we really do need to go. Here's some papers you might like to look over, as proof of what I'm telling you, s-so... so the sooner we leave, the better. The realm needs a leader, and... and that's you, s-so..."

In all honesty, Daniel was getting more and more scared of this guy. He seemed crazy, babbling on about another realm and an ancestor he wasn’t aware of nor had any way to know, in fact. It wasn’t until Indigo mentioned magic that he froze, his own face going pale in horror. Looking away, he realized he hadn’t gotten his coffee.

“Look, I.... I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he replied, albeit quietly. “I don’t have any ‘great great aunt’ Queen or whatever. I’m just... a normal guy living in New York, okay? S-So.... I think you should leave,” he insisted, only for his voice to get lower until he was left to stare at the table, lips pursed. The moment the coffee was set in front of him was the moment Danny got to his feet with his croissant and espresso to leave.

“I wish you luck finding this ‘special heir’ or whatever but he isn’t me,” he explained quickly ,,’sling sure he had everything before heading out into the street with eyes beginning to rim with tears.

Even though he seemed to suggest he knew nothing, Indigo managed to catch how he reacted to the admission of magic... but it wasn't the reaction he had really anticipated. Of course, now he examined the situation properly, any hope that Daniel would be a fully fledged warlock was idiotic. He had no way of really practising his magic without alerting people around him to what he was, and it made sense (at least) to Indigo that he had probably spent his life shielding that side of him to try and fit in. He did feel incredibly guilty for not having assessed that possibility first, having gone into this assuming Daniel was happy with his powers, rather than realise he felt like an outcast and a freak for them.

It was probably why he was such a mess, and Indigo felt awful - but not enough to wipe his hands clean and start afresh. He couldn't waste more time tracking down someone else who might exist, especially if there wasn't such a person alive. Daniel might be his only hope, and he wasn't prepared to let him slip through his fingers.

That said, running out after him wasn't wise either, not when he knew he'd just lose him in the crowd. Thankfully, he knew he had the right Daniel now, which meant he could at least message him on social media to try and organise something. If that failed, he didn't know where else to turn. For now, he was upset, tired and emotionally drained, and all he wanted to do was get back to the hotel room and watch TV; another aspect of human life he had grown in love with.

"...What do I do now? He hates me; he thinks I'm w-weird, Dee," he mumbled to his Familiar, having hurried outside to find a deserted alleyway for his friend to transform in away from prying eyes because, right now, he desperately needed him to talk and reassure him. "G-God, I messed this up. he won't reply to my messages if I tried t-to talk to him online, h-he thinks I'm nuts."

“Well, you weren’t very... gentle,” Dee replied once fully transforming, sighing quietly at the situation. Pushing his hair out of the way, he looked around to make sure they hadn’t been followed or seen. Taking Indigo’s hand, he offered a comforting smile.

“Listen, we just have to keep trying. This is bigger than us, Indigo. Sure, being in this city is horrible - moreso for me than you, it seems - but we can handle it,” he encouraged quietly before offering a chaste kiss to the other’s forehead. “Let’s head to the hotel and see what he’s planning. He’s very active on his ‘social media’ or whatever they call it so I’m sure we can find where he’s going, right?” He confirmed before leading him along.

“At least we’re a little closer to our goal, right? We know where he is and that he’s alive so that’s something. All we need to do now is to properly convince him. He seems... weak, I’m sure that we can wear him down. Then we can focus on the next thing. This will take time.”

"I think one of his friends works at a club or something, I saw pictures and... I think the workplace was tagged in them," the witch mumbled, unable to hide a small smile at both the affectionate kiss and at the fact he had quickly caught on to how social media worked. He was far from an expert, but he could work his way around a site without getting too confused about it. He had made a profile and, if he had more time on his hands, he would have probably spent a good few hours making it look nice. There was little use doing that when he didn't think he'd be in the city that long, however.

"Maybe we can visit it later on a-and confront him then? Besides, I'm sure you could do with a drink, it might be fun? I... I know we're here for work, Dee, but we're never going to get to come here again. I want you to enjoy yourself; I dragged you into all this. If you want to... I dunno... get drunk tonight and... and find someone to spend your night with, I'm okay with that," he awkwardly smiled, adjusting his bag as he obediently trailed behind his Familiar. "I have work to do, and you shouldn't... I mean... you can have some fun, you don't need to be miserable at my side if... i'm ruining your fun here."

“You aren’t ruining my fun, Indie. Sure, maybe a nice drink would be good but I can hardly walk around much looking the way I do,” he reminded with a light roll of his eyes. “I want to get in and out as much as you do and like hell am I going to get affectionate with some lowly humans, Indie. I want to be able to relax and just do my own thing back at home. Ugh, I miss being able to watch the birds in the window. All I see are those weird... cars, I think they’re called,” he sneered.

“Or is this you trying to get me off your back?” He asked with a chuckle, side-glancing the other. “I hope you know that isn’t going to happen. You aren’t going to get rid of me easy, you know that. Just... take a deep breath, okay? I can come with you to this club if you’d like.”

"Why would I try and get rid of you? We... W-We both know I can't cope without you, I think the last few decades have made that abundantly clear," came Indigo's response, grimacing to himself at the dependence he had on his friend. He would love to be independent and able to approach situations with the confidence Dee had, but he knew that, if he hadn't managed it in his life so far (a life that spanned over a century), then he probably wasn't ever going to achieve it.

It was a source of incredible embarrassment every time Dee had to come to his rescue, whether he was freaking out about something as small as a social occasion, or having to be rescued from being manipulated by others seeking to take his powerful position away from him. He was, of course, grateful he had someone like Dee in his life, able to protect and care for him, but he always felt like a burden upon him, as though Dee could be achieving so much more in his life if he wasn't tethered to Indigo and having to assist him constantly. It was true that, in fact, Indigo had been the one to first save Dee, finding him as an abandoned child and giving him all these new opportunities, but Indigo's mind refused to let him accept and be proud of that.

"...We could get you new clothes if that's what's bothering you. Nobody is even staring at you; you look fine, Dee. You're handsome; most people will accept your clothes being a little odd if you look good in them. If you're cute, you can't put a foot wrong," he mumbled, clutching his arm tightly to walk alongside him, staring up at the flashy billboards and high-ride skyscrapers with a faint grimace. "It's so loud here, isn't it? It's... nice, just... loud. I'd like to explore more when we have time, we could find a sushi place for you? You said you liked sushi when we tried it last night, yeah?"

Just the mention of sushi made his ears perk up and his eyes widen in curiousity. The one thing he would miss would be the food and drink of this world and sushi was something he could never imagine making at home. Offering a grin down at the wizard, he offered a nudge.

“I’ll do whatever you want, especially for sushi,” he purred, licking his lips at the taste. “Ugh... I know we have a duty but I would love to just snuggle up on the bed, watch some of that ‘television’ and eat some ‘sushi’. Can’t we convince this kid to do the same? I imagine he’d like it, who wouldn’t?” He asked in a brief moment of naïveté. He was more often than not the more reasonable one but that didn’t mean he couldn’t be clouded with laziness. It was his one fatal flaw, unfortunately.

“If you can’t get him to come over, I’ll go to the club. I can’t imagine you going anywhere like that alone, I don’t want something to happen to you, Indigo. I could never forgive myself...”

"Nothing is going to happen to me, you're so dramatic. I... can defend myself, Dee. I'm tall; I'm surprised that I'm taller than most humans. I assumed they were taller on average than they are. Besides, I have magic; I can defend myself easily against humans. Let's not start stressing me out more, I... I'm already stressed enough as it is," he reminded with a faint smile, taking care to cross the street. Cars understandably terrified him, as did most of the world outside the hotel room he had grown fond of, but avoiding it all wasn't an option. As much as he wanted to lock himself away in the hotel room, or just return home to the realm he was comfortable in, he had to reluctantly toughen up - though he clung tightly to Dee's arm with a fearful glance left and right just in case.

"...Maybe you could go to the club and... and bring him to the hotel by yourself? He won't come if he sees me, whereas you're attractive and charming and... a-and you can convince anyone, right? So... So I'll wait in the hotel room and... and you can bring him and then he'll have to listen," he declared confidently, peering up at his Familiar with a hopeful smile. "You can handle yourself, Dee. I'll be safe enough in the hotel room. We... We both know I'd panic in a crowded club full of humans, whereas I... I think you'd be okay."

"I'm dramatic? The pot calling the kettle black there, eh?" Dee commented with raised brows as he confidently held Indigo close. They had, had a sexual relationship very briefly but one thing that he had kept even after their brief romance was their mutual need to keep one another physically close, whether that meant holding hands or pressing together. It might have seemed weird to others but it was all Dee knew and he assumed Indigo felt the same.

"Are you sure you'll be okay being in the hotel room alone? We can't be seen, I don't want some dumb human seeing you use your magic and have us running back, yes? It'll be a lot of effort for nothing and it will be all because you decided to be dumb and use magic," he teasingly scolded before offering a smile and even went as far as to offer an affectionate kiss to the forehead. "Come, let's just relax for a bit. I'm exhausted and starving."

"Would you rather an axe murderer hack me to death, Dee? As he bludgeons my skull in, I have to sit letting it happen because using magic would be too risky? Is that what you're saying to me?" The warlock countered with a playful smile, though he did secretly detest himself for bringing up the possibility. The likelihood of it was slim, but once he had it in his head that it might happen, he began to fiddle with his sleeves in worry. The hotel room was cosy and small, which he felt more comfortable in, but however safe he felt, what if something were to happen and Dee wasn't there beside him?

Though, he'd take the risk over heading out to a club, knowing with certainty that he'd hate it in that environment.

"It'll be f-fine, I can manage," he huffed, waving off his concern with another bright smile. "I'm not a child. I'm an accomplished w-warlock and... and I've got four older brothers, remember? If anything, they taught me how to defend myself; I was constantly dealing with them play-fighting with me, I'm sure some of their methods... sunk in, so... let's not worry. Just bring Daniel and I can work out how to make him take me seriously."

• Love
Reactions: saturnia pavonia
"You're going to owe me, hm?" Dee reminded as they strolled into the hotel, taking in the familiar scent out of curiosity. It always smelled different each time they came and with the senses the werecat had, it was no surprise he could notice even the slightest differences. He said nothing and simply walked into the elevator, that of which he had finally become comfortable with. It startled him when he heard the familiar beep but other than that, he was pretty proud of himself and how he had overcome so much.

"So I'll head out later, you just stay here and get everything set up. You better have that sushi when I get back or I'm going to be incredibly disappointed in you, Indigo," he scolded with a smile before laying back on his bed, sighing in content. It was nothing compared to his own bed made of furs but it was damn near close in comfort.

He would head out a few hours later, managing to find the club with little problem. Dee was a pretty big guy, one that seemed to intimidate most of the people who seemed to want to start beef with him. He knew that Indigo would probably have been mugged or hurt, that being the only reason he was comfortable for making the journey on his own. The state Danny was in when he found him, passed out in a booth beside a man who seemed all too happy to take advantage of that. Naturally, Dee stepped in and realized he would have to reluctantly carry the unconscious warlock to the hotel. Once returning, he laid Danny down on one of the beds with a deep sigh.

"You owe me that sushi," Dee murmured flatly, rubbing his face. "That was horrible - you would have hated it," he noted, pursing his lips. "I got him, though he doesn't really seem like he's in the right mind to talk, huh?"

The impression Indigo wanted to give across to Daniel was a professional one. He wanted him to take him seriously, and so he planned on being sat at the small desk in the hotel room in some smart clothes, with the relevant papers placed out neatly for Daniel to hopefully read over and understand. That vision never really got that far when Indigo realised he didn't exactly own any smart clothing; it was all comfortable, baggy and designed for comfort rather than a particular appearance. It also didn't help that he had to rush out to collect Dee's sushi for him, that taking up most of his time he would have set aside to prepare.

Instead, he arrived back in the hotel room, shaken from the experience of rushing about in the late evening, and wanted nothing more than to change into some items of clothing he had bought in the realm; a comfy hoodie and some high-waisted shorts he thought were cute. He would never wear them outside, being too nervous to wear something that showed off his legs like that in public, but he was happy to wear them inside the safety of his hotel room. He didn't mind Dee seeing him in them, after all, though it had slipped his mind that Daniel would be brought back, explaining his nervous reaction to seeing the other be carried in. To his relief, the other was barely conscious, given him enough time to make himself a little more presentable... even if that just mean running his hands through his hair and dusting away crumbs of the food he had been eating on the bed.

"Is he alright? What happened?" He questioned quickly, rooting around for something to change into; something that he wouldn't mind people seeing him in. "I... Was he hurt? He doesn't look too good, Dee. I... I should have come with you, I chickened out as per usual, I-I dunno..."

“Give me my sushi and I’ll talk,” he replied as he took his seat on his bed, sighing deeply while locking his eyes on the ceiling. “Well for starters, the place was far too loud and it reeked of bad alcohol. Then I saw him in a booth with someone who looked disgusting and... he didn’t seem to really know it. So I just picked him up and left. I’m not quite sure but I made sure to see he was breathing, and he is. I’m not quite sure what to do now but I know I should have sushi in my mouth by now,” he reminded impatiently, his ears twitching hearing Danny groan and curl a tad.

“... should we just wait until morning? I don’t know when he’ll wake up. We can share a bed tonight - I deserve it, I had to do so much for you today,” he reminded with raised brows and a smirk. “Sure, you spent that time trying to look cute which was definitely an effort, but I think it’s fair to say I had to do more.”

"You think it took me a lot of effort to look cute? I mean, you're not wrong, it hardly comes naturally to me, but... that's rude, Dee. Just because you can wake up looking like a swimwear model doesn't mean all of us can look cute without designating a lot of time and energy into it. We're not all as blessed as you are. I'd have thought my best friend would want to boost my confidence," he sighed with an air of feigned annoyance, breaking the effect seconds later with a gentle smile. It was no time to joke about when Danny was in such a state, the wizard looking over him anxiously.

"Are you sure we should just leave him like this? He doesn't look well. He's all peaky and pale," he pointed out nervously, caught between what he felt was right, and what Dee advised. Usually, Dee was right about these sorts of things, and admittedly, Indigo didn't have the energy to fight against that at the moment.

"What if I don't want to share a bed?" He countered as he clambered back into his own, retrieving the new laptop with an eager grin. "...I was watching that YouTube site, there's lots of cute videos of cats, you know? None of them are as cute as you, obviously."

“Look, I don’t understand why he is this way but I... think leaving him be would be better,” he admitted before moving to climb into the bed anyway, his ears twitching at the mere idea of him being compared to any other cat. He rolled his eyes before laying on his stomach, a soft purr leaving his lips as a tail swayed behind him absently. He may be a rather tough and intimidating man but he was a cat at heart and there was nothing he loved more than being able to curl up and sleep in the arms of his close friend.

Both because he was tired of his human form and to save space, Dee easily changed to his feline form and happily sat on the wizard’s lap, purring continuing as he watched the screen with wide eyes. The laptop hadn’t ceased to amaze him and the videos of cats only piqued his interest more.

It would be a whole hour before Danny would come around, unaware of where he really was. Wheezing and coughing deeply, he rushed to the bathroom to immediately get sick the minute his hands touched the toilet. The sight of blood had become normal by now not to mention his body was too tensed and painful to notice as he slid to the floor, breathing heavily. When noticing he was somewhere he didn’t recognize, he immediately panicked in fear of what happened, soft sobs being heard quickly after the vomiting stopped.