A Boy and His Dragonwolf

Ny had been very much excited and happy when he saw that Tyler picked up the metal, pleased that his gift had been accepted and wagging his tail all the way up to the campus. When the girls came up to him he chuffed and preened, making them squeal even more and even blush a bit. Once they left, the pup had on a smug grin that seemed to be saying I'm a natural at this.

That grin lasted up until a few guys decided to threaten them with calling security. Nym had been growing more and more mischievous, and that would show a bit later after his yip, where they would find either their phone locks had changed, or they had a very naughty picture as their screen.. or perhaps both. He gave a chuckle before they got into the room, at which point he set about sniffing the table when he was let down.

The humans talked for a while until Tyler said something to him, and pulled off his coat. At that he shook himself, stretched his wings wide and lept off the table, gliding to the floor and beginning to sniff around the room. At one point he stopped and looked at the ceiling, yipping at the projector which turned on and projected his DNA results onto the screen - which Claire had brought with her - before going along and continuing to explore the room.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Quiet One
"Um...thank you, Nym," Claire said quietly, then drew her attention back to the projector. "As you can see, his DNA consists primarily of wolf DNA, but there's lizard genetics present as well. There are also a few unidentified outliers in his DNA I can't pinpoint."

The professor nodded, staring at Nym after Tyler went after him and picked him up, carrying him in his arms. He looked him over, gently pulling at a wing to test its wingspan. "No bird DNA at all?"

Claire shook her head. "No. I'm scratching my head at that, too. Maybe it's got something to do with the unidentified markers. Anyway, he's a brand new species, so I know he has to be reported for the good of science."

"But I don't want him poked and prodded," Tyler clarified. "She said there might be a way I can keep custody of him." He turned a little red as he hugged Nym closer. "We sort of bonded."

"I can arrange something, I think," he replied. "Let me make a few calls..."

About thirty minutes passed since the professor had made his calls, during which Nym had explored the whole room and then leapt up on Tyler's lap to snuggle down and spend some time with his human. Though eventually the door opened and in came a professionally dressed woman, and people who Tyler could easily tell were a sound recordist and a cameraman. Nym perked up and lept off the chair, going into a corner once they arrived. He wasn't sure about them yet.

The reporter smiled and walked over to Tyler once the professor indicated him. "Hello, sir. Mary Baker, 9News. And you must be the one with the new animal? Where is it?" she asked, looking around as she shook his hand.

• Love
Tyler smiled at Mary awkwardly and shook her hand even more awkwardly. He had no idea who she was. At her explanation she was from Chanel 9 he felt a little better not knowing her, but no less embarrassed. He didn't watch the news except to know how the weather was. He felt like he should apologize to her, but he fought the instinct.

"Yeah. I found him outside my apartment one night. Hold on, I think your arrival scared him a little...Nym?" Tyler circled around a chair and found Nym hiding near the corner. He crouched down and met him at his level. "Hey, don't be worried, little buddy. I'm right here. It's another pretty lady who wants to take a look at you. Come on." He picked him up and carried him back over to the newswoman, making sure to turn him so his wings could be seen from different angles.

Mary smiled and nodded, looking back at her team and starting to direct them, moving Claire and the professor to the side so that Tyler could see them but that they wouldn't be in the shot. Nym, meanwhile, looked up at Tyler and whined as he was picked up, shaking himself in the human's arms. The newswoman grinned and looked him over, though looked at the wings with a bit of thought. "He's adorable. But those aren't fake, are they?' she asked, reaching out and touching them. Nym looked at her and opened up the single wing, leaping down and gliding over to the camera. With a yip he turned the camera on, making the cameraman jump.

"Wait, why are we recording?" he said to himself, shutting down the camera and staring at the beast at his feet. Nym then pranced over to Tyler's side, as he was made to sit down on a chair, and then Nym spread his wings once more and leap onto Tyler's lap. After everything was settled down, Mary looked at Tyler and smiled.

"Hello, I have here with me today a Mr. Tyler Abernathe, who has discovered a new and very interesting type of animal. Mr. Abernathe, tell us, how did you find this animal, what have you found out about him so far?"

• Love
Tyler blushed to himself when he saw the camera was on, this time recording for real and not just because Nym felt like playing. He pet the pup relaxing happily in his lap and it gave him a little more courage. No matter what, he had Nym.

"W-Well, it was a little while ago," he said. "I went outside because I was hearing this...this noise. Stray cats. I have them a lot in my neighborhood. A-Anyway, I think it was this little guy that scared them into meowing so much. He looked cold so...I brought him inside." Tyler gave a dopey smile as he finished the first part of the tale. He looked down at Nym, who looked back up. "I tried feeding him, because, you know, he was hungry. Turns out he can eat pretty much anything people can. And he's really smart. He seems to know what I'm saying sometimes - you can even tell by what he's doing now that he knows he's being praised." He scratched Nym's back down to his little butt. "Anyway, I called Claire - um, she's a friend of mine who attends this college - and she did some DNA tests on him. I also tried to look him up online. There's this site that calls them dragon-wolves. And, I guess that's what Nym here is. I can't think of anything better to call him."

Mary nodded and looked down, taking notes and asking questions as the interview moved along. She asked more about Nym and his habits, how he differs from normal dogs and then even asked some of his own opinions. Then came a side interview with Claire and the Professor, and then she finally stopped the interview once she was done asking questions.

"Thank you for your time, Mr. Abernathe." she said, shaking his hand once more. "This is going to be quite a hit, especially with the science-type that watch the later shows." she nodded and then they left. Once that was all done, Nym stood up on Tyler's lap and nuzzled into his chin, wanting more praise for all of that.

• Love
Tyler ran his hand up and down Nym's back, smiling at the little guy. "You did really good, Nym. I brought some treats for you." With that he reached into his backpack the pup's favorite treats...

Over the next few weeks it became a blur of events like this. CBS, CNN, The Late Show, The Tonight Show - they became celebrities overnight. He got flown to LA and New York back and forth. It was more than a little disappointing that he had to get a pet carrier for Nym. Apparently there were no circumstances where a pet could fly coach. Unless, of course, that pet could pick locks. At some point on every plane ride Tyler figured the little escape artist barked his lock free, snuck up to the passenger compartment, and slid past the flight attendants and other passengers to jump in his lap. He would get whatever snacks they had on the flight and share them with the pup, keeping him hidden under a sweater he kept on his lap.

With each show Tyler got a little more at ease with the camera. Nym never stayed in one place, but Tyler managed to convince him to stick close on set. He often wandered onto the host's desk; one time he even snuck UNDER a desk in search of the props Stephen Colbert used in an earlier bit. When representatives from the Discovery channels wanted to talk they at least were nice enough to come to them, giving them a much-needed break from all the travel.

Of course TV fame translated to some everyday attention. People at his work endlessly told him he needed to bring in Nym. He never did, though. The place was so boring to him; he could only imagine how the hyperactive dragon-pup would take it. He got calls from his family, who he had no problem showing the little guy to, and got a lot of attention at the park. When it came from pretty girls, he couldn't complain.

It took over a month and a half for things to settle down and a normal schedule to set in. On one such day Tyler called Nym over and fastened on his leash. "Okay. Ready to see Dr. Schneider?" Claire's professor had been a vet prior to going into teaching and with a little - no, a LOT of talk - with various groups, he was given the job of giving Nym bi-weekly checkups. Maybe today would be interesting; Nym was starting to get a little big for a puppy.

Over the weeks Nym had been growing steadily, and was now looking more of a young adolescent than a true puppy. Even his horns had erupted a bit more, now slightly visible atop his fur as they began to sweep backwards. He had started to very much enjoy the talk shows and everything else, learning to strut his stuff. There were times that he was asked something and he made sounds like an answer, but no one understood him. At those points was when he would pout and perhaps stir up trouble. He had also had quite a bit of enjoyment impressing himself to young women, though he seemed more reserved around Claire. As if he was more antsy around her.

Nym gave a murring sigh at the clip of his leash, and stood up from his bed. He never much liked being leashed up, but there seemed like there was little he could do about it - one time he barked himself out and he had gotten quite a scolding from Tyler. He groaned and looked at Tyler, giving a soft wave of his tail and a look that said "Let's go then." as if he was resigned to having to go.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Tyler sighed as Nym let out a little groan at having his leash put on. "I know you don't like it, but I've already explained to you that there's laws for this. I wish I didn't have to hold this thing, either." He scratched the sides of his head affectionately and led the way to the door.

"And I know seeing the doctor twice a week isn't your favorite, either," he added while they walked down the street. "Seems like a little much to me. I don't even go to the doctor once a month. Maybe things will slow down after the novelty wears off."

He led him back to the college, where once again he got a lot of attention from the college girls - and some boys. Not as overly fawning as the first time he came to campus, since they were used to him by now, but almost no one could resist giving Nym a little pet on the head in passing. Tyler earnestly hoped that would cheer him up from this boring routine. They entered the medical building this time and headed into the office set aside for Nym and Tyler to get their checkup. Claire wasn't always there to take part in the checkup, but she was there today. She immediately smiled at the two of them and leaned down to give Nym a little scratch between his wings. Over time they'd learned he liked it there.

"Hey, Nym. Welcome back." She smiled and removed his leash and collar, letting the pup finally feel free. "I think you know the drill by now."

Nym had groaned again as he was led out of the apartment. Once he was outside he walked with a small pout on his face, just wanting to bound around and explore. But he was resigned to walking along towards the college, where he wagged his tail just a little from the pets and adoration of the other people. Even that seemed a bit stale, because he wasn't able to show off for them. Either way he shrugged and walked along, looking up at the building before they entered.

He gave a greater smile and opened his wings at the scratches Claire gave to him, but he was still slightly pouting and gave a small nod at her question. Once she stepped away he would leap up onto the table that they used to examine him, and then laid on his belly, giving a groan as he waited for the doctor, wishing that this would pass by and he could just explore the campus, or.. something. Anything more than being stuck in these small places or on a leash.

"He's sure getting big," Claire noted as she brought the stethoscope to Nym's chest and took a listen to his heart. Still beating fine. "When you first showed him to me he looked like a three or four week-old wolf pup. Now he looks like he's four months."

"Really? I thought he looked older with how much he's grown," Tyler replied.

"Wolves grow faster than people, Tyler. They reach close to full size in just a few years. Nym here seems to be growing even faster." She stretched out one of his wings, brushing the feathers and feeling the muscle underneath. She smiled at him. "Oh, and you're so strong! I'm sure you'll be flying in no time!"

Tyler walked around him and scratched his head, leaning against the table to be close to Nym. "See, I think that's a part of what's wrong with him lately. He doesn't get to go anywhere but my apartment, the park for walks, and here for checkups. I don't like leading him around on a leash. I don't like keeping him stuck at my place while I'm at work. And I know he doesn't like it, either."

Claire stopped in her inspection and pet Nym's back gently, thinking about something. Finally, she grabbed her coat and keys. "Come with me."

Confused, Tyler followed her, getting Nym off the table and coming, too. They went with her to her car, where she let Nym get into the back seat while Tyler took the front. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere Nym can be himself for a few hours," she replied and drove them out of the campus.

Nym's face was one of resignation even as he was moved about slightly, his chest rising and falling as they checked heartbeat, breath, and everything else. Wing even staying a bit limp when Claire checked it and the muscles. He'd been feeling so pent-up and shut-in that he found it hard to get excited by much of anything anymore. He didn't even try to prank Tyler anymore. His tail gave a soft wag at the strokings he got, though then he just jumped off the table while on his leash and followed them to a car. He sighed and jumped in, though his tail wagged a little as he looked out the window.

The world was beautiful in the early spring, flowers blooming, trees with fresh green leaves, birds in the air and on the trees, singing their songs, forest animals bounding through the trees and tree floor, a brisk breeze offset by the warming sun. Even the air smelled of spring, with blooming flowers and returning life. Nym started to perk up and watch the world as it passed by outside his window, his tail wagging. And his tail wagged even more as Claire rolled down the window and their little dragonwolf held the whole of his front body out of the window to enjoy it all.

Eventually they reached a national park gate, and after driving through it they were in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Filled with many hiking trails for the two humans. And the park ranger who let them in had been gracious enough to let them know that Nym could be off-leash - he had most likely seen some of him on the TV, and figured he would need as much space as other wild predators. "As long as he doesn't go hunting." he told them.

So once they got out into the park near one of the many hiking trails that they had decided to walk down, and the door was opened, Nym would let out yips and sounds of happiness, bounding off into the trees and flapping his wings for greater jumps. He would be gone for a few minutes before he ran back to the humans with a large stick held proudly in his mouth, his tail held tall and erect as he deposited it near them, be it as a trophy or a toy to play with.

Tyler wasn't sure at first where Claire was taking them, but as the drive got more and more wooded he started to have a guess. He smiled back as Nym got to enjoy sticking his head out the window, and finally having a new change of scenery. He'd been feeling terrible about leaving him for the day, and he could tell it showed on the dragon-wolf. No more barks to unlock his doors or change the screen on his computer, no more following him around the apartment. The one that had hurt the most of all was when Nym resigned himself to just sleeping in his doggy bed. Tyler had actually liked it when the pup had first snuck into his room to cuddle, and they'd done it a few times since. But after a while...Tyler could see the sadness on his face, but he'd done nothing.

When Nym ran off to stretch his wings and get some exercise, he leaned against the car with his head down. "Guess I suck as a dog owner," he said to Claire. "He wouldn't have been this upset if I hadn't just left him by himself all day."

"You really don't know how to take care of a dog?" Claire asked.

"My mom had a pet cat. I'm hopeless." Just then Nym came back with a stick. Tyler curiously picked it up. "What's this, little guy? Want to play fetch?"

"Well not completely hopeless," Claire smirked.

"Go get it!" He threw it and looked to his friend as Nym went after it. "Thanks for this. I wish there was a way for him to enjoy a park like this all the time. He'll probably be even grumpier after we go back home."

"Well..." Claire stopped, then started again. "My house isn't far from here, and it's got a lot of room. A decent yard, plenty of space, and near here."

"Are you offering to have us move in with you?"

She went red and turned her face away. "Sort of. It'd be for Nym, and I'd expect you to pay rent, but you guys can come here every day if you did."

Tyler smiled. "I'll have to talk to my landlord."

Nym yipped happily when the stick was picked up and thrown into the trees. It was an easy leap for the pup, using his wings to propel him higher and catch the stick. When he looked back, it seemed like Claire and Tyler were doing something rather important, so he simply held the stick in his mouth as he walked around and sniffed the air. He stayed away for a good few minutes before bounding back and dropping the stick once more. "Rrrn, nyr! Nyrn nym!" he barked out, wiggling, wanting Tyler to throw it hard, far and high for him.

• Love
"Okay, try and catch this one!" he whipped back his arm and threw the stick again as hard as he could, aiming high and far. Once Nym was off he turned to Claire. "It's part of the rent agreement that I pay up to a year. I'm not quite there yet, so I'm not sure what'll happen."

"It's not like they'll punish you. I'm sure you can work something out," she said. "So is that you saying you want to move in?"

Now it was Tyler's turn to blush. "I'd love to...I-I mean, it gives Nym more room, and I get a little cramped in there sometimes, too." He scratched his head awkwardly. "It all depends on him, though I think I know what he'll say."

When Nym came back again with the stick, Tyler took it out of his mouth and scratched his ears. "Hey, bud. How'd you like to move in with Claire? You and I can get our own room, she's got a big backyard, and we can come here to run around whenever you want. What do you say, Nym?"

Nym barked happily and bounded off into the trees, his wings waving to help him with distance and height. He chased the stick a bit and then lept up to catch it, though before he started t run back he rose his head and looked around. There was a soft sound, a faint song in his head. He cocked it and tried to hear more of it, but soon enough it seemed to just disappear. He shook his head and then bounded off towards Tyler.

When he came back, he gave a playful growl and some tugs before letting go of the stick, at which point he cocked his head and listened to Tyler. His tail started to wag, and it sped up as he spoke, until finally he nodded and yipped. He nuzzled into the two of them and made a menagerie of happy sounds as he rubbed against their legs.

• Love
Tyler and Claire laughed and pet him, as the happy pup rubbed up against them. Tyler scratched at the base of his horns while Claire took to pleasuring the spot between Nym's wings...

It took a month to get everything cleared with Tyler's landlord and slowly move/sell his stuff to be able to move in with Claire. Aside from his couch and microwave, he got to keep just about everything that was his, and was able to store what he didn't need in the closet of his room. Every day they brought stuff over, Tyler would take Nym to the Rocky Mountain park, play fetch, and let him run and flap his wings to his heart's content. Nym's body demanded more food (at least, that's how Claire put it. Tyler would have just called it a growth spurt) and needed to basically eat as much as Tyler did when they ate together.

Claire would join them every once in a while at his place, sometimes bringing over Chinese and having Nym munch on some Asian BBQ rib strips while they sat together and talked about the new living arrangements. Tyler noticed how often she seemed to smile at him when discussing it, and whenever they talked about something personal - like the bathroom schedule - she would blush and quietly return to her food.

When at last the last box had been moved in he walked with Nym around Claire's yard. He leaned against the tree out front, smiling at the tiny leaves and flowers that had begun to bloom, and then looked down at his companion. He'd grown so much since he found him as a little pup in the bushes. He rubbed his head and leaned into him. "That's it. No more back and forth. This is where we live now; you, me and Claire. How do you like it?"

The next month had been exciting, but also slightly confusing to the pup. He understood what was going on, mostly, but what confused him was why everything was being put into a box and then moved out of the apartment. Either was he had quite enjoyed it, ripping meat off of ribs and licking them clean every time that Claire came over, and very much generally enjoying his time with them. And they may not have noticed, but any time one of them was blushing, he would grin at them and wag his tail, like he knew something.

By the end of the month, Nym stood to the top of Tyler's thigh, and even slightly taller with a head held up or tail erect. He sniffed the spring air and nodded, pouncing on something unseen before he made a murr and walked around. He sniffed on the ground, exploring the yard, making sure he knew every inch of it. Then he walked up to the front door and barked at it, making it swing open so he could explore the house as well.

Ever since they had started going to the park, Nym had gotten back into himself. The appointments had become slightly more of an occasion, with Nym strutting his stuff and making the girls squeal. He had also gotten back into pranks and taking up half the bed while snuggling with Tyler. His pranks were harmless, something like making the faucet spray hose turn on while Tyler was washing; but often enough would make either Tyler's or Claire's blush worse, given the nature of the prank and the timing of it all. However, he was very much feeling better, and that was the most important.

Last edited:
  • Love
Claire pet his head as Nym walked past her, the biology student stopping in front of Tyler. Yet another blush crossed her face briefly. They'd been friends for a long time, but they'd never gone...there. She'd always admired his carefree attitude, even if it could get annoying at times, but all this close-quarters interaction - and it was only going to get closer as time wore on! - was kind of warming her up to the quirks she used to find annoying.

"We need to talk about Nym," she whispered as the pup lay across the couch.

"What about him? I thought you were fine with him living here," Tyler rebuked.

"I am...but I'm concerned about his growth rate. He's doubled in size almost once a month. He's the size of a golden retriever now, and I still don't think he's sexually matured." She leaned forward. "How big is he supposed to get? I'm worried that one day he won't be able to fit through the door."

"I don't know," he admitted. "Maybe I'll take a look at that dragon-wolf website again. Bet they'd love to talk to someone who's got one as a pet."

"I'd be careful doing that, but it's the closest thing to an authority on dragon-wolves we have," she conceded. "Exactly how nuts are they?"

"I'd say some of them are pretty nuts, but then they were right about dragon-wolves, so who knows?" he chuckled. Claire smirked at that, then blushed. That had actually seemed...cute.