9 Lives Gone in One Go

Andrew felt his heart drop. The only way he was to mask his real reason was his apology, but Kastra wouldn't buy it. "Again I am apologizing." That was most of what he could pull off. He looked at her waiting for a reaction but continued with the questions. "My turn then, why did you start teaching?" Andrew was trying to veer away from her discovering the truth, for now his feelings for her must be kept somewhat on the down low.

Kastra considered him for a few moments and frowned. There was more. She could sense it and she didn't know why but that he didn't tell her just made her all the more curious. Before she could push forward he asked her why teaching. "I wanted to share my enthusiasm with students about the topic. I'm finding that none of them however share my interest. Except your attempt in this paper. It is the first one that has shown any true interest in the classwork or the essays," she admitted before shifting back on the couch so that she could relax while also turning slightly in her seat so she was leaning back against the armrest, facing him almost. "I'm out of questions for the moment accept for, what exactly are we going to be eating?"

"I ordered some pizza, it should be here soon. I should get some plates." Andrew got up from his seat and walked to the kitchen. Kastra mustn't have had the best time here apparently. He walked over to the kitchen to stop him dead in his tracks as he saw the kitchen that was still rather messy. Then he saw the picture of her. It looked great but he had no where to put it without causing interest from Kastra. He pulled some plates out from the top cupboard and looked over at her and smiled awkwardly. "It'll just be a moment." Andrew moved his art box over as well as many other things causing much ruckus. He got the plates, napkins, and silverware. Then he moved over to the drawing to hide it.

Kastra looked after him before biting her bottom lip and rising from the couch, and slowly walking about to keep herself from fidgeting "Need any help in there?" she called as she examined the room slowly. She felt oddly like a girl that had never been on a date before. Slowly she walked around the room to look into the kitchen to see if she could help. She stopped in her tracks as she saw a corner of the picture. "You draw?" she asked, stepping into the kitchen slowly, her interest most definitely peaked.

Andrew twisted and covered the picture fully. "Oh, uh yeah." Andrew knew something like this would happen, he just hoped it wouldn't have been this. "It's not done, but it does look beautiful the way it is." He smiled then realized he was drifting off. Then he realized that this would be a perfect opportunity to spur some attraction from her. He looked from the plates to her and offered a kind look. "Would you like to see it?" He stepped away from it to show it to her.

"Only if you want to show me--" She started to say before her gaze landed on the drawing. She inhaled softly as her gaze took in the drawing and began to process what she was seeing. She looked between the artwork and Andrew as her cheeks started to brighten to a light pink. She stepped slowly forward and reached a hand out to lightly brush her fingers over it, just barely touching it. "Y-You have skill," she stammered softly. "U-W-Who was your model, er, reference, um, inspiration?" It looked like her she supposed, a little, or maybe she was just wishing?

"It's you, you were my inspiration truly."Andrew smiled shyly putting his hands into his pocket. "You are different, more different than anything I have ever seen. Whatever you may be." Andrew moved around behind her looking at the picture from where she was standing. "It needs work, but it's almost done. I'll set the table while you look at it."

Kastra was left staring at the picture as her cheeks brightejed more than she ever remembered they ever glowing. The compliment that she, her a Shifter of no particular skill and only average (in her opinion) looks, had inspired such artwork was more than the youngtacher could accept at the moment as she stared at the picture as he left to finish the table. It dis not hit her until a few moments later that he had said what you may be. Her eyes widened and she looked behind her towards the table in the other room with a growing sadness that she couldn't explain. Why would she be sad that they could never be anything even if a tiny part of her wished she might find someone with Andrew that she could trust with her secret ability?

She closed her eyes and looked back at the picture. One night at a time, she decided. One night here and then maybe more until he found the truth and ran away just like the last one had."You have a lot of talent. I am flattered that you were inspired by me though. Espexially after the last couple of days." She admitted witha gentle smile as she put the piece down and went to the table, gazing at the places for a moment.

(Sorry for any typos. Using my phone and it is messing up so I am only seeing half of what I have written. Rose)

Andrew finished setting the table. He looked up at Kastra as she looked at the picture, hoping that she liked it. He sat back down on the couch and waited for her, and the pizza. This time sitting down was different, he had more of a chance now. Andrew was aspiring to be an artist and he was getting good but not enough to pay for college. "So, are your students not being up to par this year, or has it been for a while?"

Kastra moved slowly back to the couch, cheeks still a light pink. "My students are never up to par," she admitted with a rueful smile and a shake of her head. "No. See, if they would just take the time to pretend they care about the class and put even an ounce of imagination into their papers, our class would be completely different. I wouldn't have to lecture all the time and have such high standards. I don't know how many times I've written 'But what about your opinion on such and such' on papers." She slipped down onto the couch more relaxed than she had been for a time. "Sorry. I really ought not to discuss that with you."

"Well it's fine, I'll keep your secret." Andrew immediately regretted that because he didn't want to bring that up. He rubbed the back of his neck as his turned somewhat red. Nervously, he looked up at her unsure of how she would react. "Not to be rude but, what exactly are uh..." Andrew stumbled over words trying to not hurt his chances with Kastra. Slowly he breathed then he folded his hands. "What are you?" Andrew looked at her honestly wanting to try to keep things going smooth.

The woman's eyes zipped to him and widened. Her relaxed posture disappeared and it was almost physical in how she withdrew into herself."M-M-me?" she stammered with a soft squeak. "Um, I'm a Taurus, woman, single?" She tried to play it off. What would a normal human think of the question. She almost regretted saying the last part. They were professor and student and it was of the highest improperness to have relations between the two.

"You and I both know that isn't the answer", Andrew retorted. He sat up and looked at her in the eyes. "Look, I know I can keep your secret but I don't know if I am safe. Kastra..." Andrew stopped himself before he would go farther than he wanted. "Look, we need to figure this out. " He looked at her seeing if she would understand what he is feeling.

Kastra began to tremble as he watched her. "There is nothing to figure out," she said as she got up and turned away, walking around to distract herself. She nibbled her lip and nearly jumped out of her skin as there was a knock at the door. So surprised was she that her control slipped and ears popped out, easily seen in the room. If her eyes had been able to grow wider they would have as her hands flew up and covered them quickly, back up until she was in a dark corner, out of sight of the door. "Pi-Pizza?" she squeaked.

Andrew nodded to her and headed to the door. "Pizza", the teen said. "Here's your money", and Andrew took the pizzas and set them on the table. "There is plenty to figure out." He looked back after the door was closed by the pizza guy and then the coast was clear. "Kastra, you are way more than you are professing to be. You are impossible." He opened the pizza box and put his hand out offering her some pizza. He looked at her again seeing that she was afraid and not wanting to talk about it. "Tell me what you want to, either way I am repaying you."

Kastra looked between the door, the pizza and his face. She slowly lowered her hands, ears remaining down flat for a few seconds before she stepped forward. Her right velvet ear was the first to raise straight up, twitching one way and then another as she took a slice of pizza. She side stepped him, remaining just out of reach as her other ear popped up as she took a plate and put her slice of pizza on it. "You are the first to figure it out," she admitted slowly. "That I was more than meets the eye. I-I'm normally very controlled over it. You caught me at a bad time the other night."

"So it was you. I thought I was going to die" Andrew admitted. "Look I'm just some kid trying to get by in college. Sure I can draw but I'm not good enough to get a scholarship. So for now it's fine dining and student loans." Andrew looked at her sort of like he was depressed but then shook his head coming back to reality. "I really have no clue where I am going after this. If I don't get a scholarship or something that will show off that I'm a good artist, then maybe then I will have a chance. Andrew laid his plate on the table after taking a bite of his pizza. "If there is anything to know about me, it's that I'm awfully normal. Now, it's your turn."

"No. You weren't going to die. I may be able to take the form of animals, but I don't kill humans. It seems pointless to raise suspicion in such a way," Kastra admitted as she took a bite of her pizza. "I teach, work, and change shapes when I can; if I can. Lately it's been harder and harder to find times. You just happened to catch me that first time changing. No one else has ever caught me except my parents." She shrugged and slowly went tot he couch, keeping him in the corner of her eye at all time so that she could run if he tried to catch her for some reason or another. She was in no mood to be caught and put on display again. It wasn't her and it would never be her again.

Andrew nodded to Kastra knowing that her past most likely shouldn't be shared. He thought about what he should say but there really is nothing to be said. Until he though of something clever. "Do you really like what you teach?" Andrew folded his hands and twiddled his thumbs. "It sounds like you have been running for quite some time." He kept looking down to avoid eye contact. "I understand if you did."

"I love what I teach," she admitted with a small smile before finishing the rest of her slice and getting up to grab two more. She ate them in quick succession before considering his other statement. "I'm glad to find a place like this that I can hide. The school I mean. It's the first place I haven't had to worry about in a long time. Well, except now that you know. I don't have to worry about running do I?" She turned to him, eyes searching his as her ears fell still from their previous twitchy selves.