@Rainjay, looks good to me. I like it! I'll work on adding Shale into Truffle's history if I have the time today. Little truffles. heeeehehehehehehe I am amused. I also just like the history in general. Uialien life is awesome.

Also, Triv and I are heading off on a family outing tomorrow through Sunday, so you'll likely not see much of us until Monday, but I'll keep poking her to get Trollface done, and we might pop in once or twice just to check in. :)

Reactions: Trivia and Rainjay
Kay!

The CS is done. I'm just working on reading through for spelling and maybe shortening the history. But it's done.

b0e7fb44-6ae2-4196-aa03-4ec56b84d436.png

BASICS

• Ama

• Female

• Uialie (Unseelie)

• There is not one word that can adequately be used to describe the woman, though one might start from an understanding that she is large, that her features and beady black eyes are bestial in nature, and the shadows along her ribs and cracks in her spine lend her the appearance of a skeleton. If those words, however, conjure an image in your mind, it likely does injustice to the creature they describe.

She is large. One of her two-fingered hands would have little difficulty wrapping itself about a Fatan's waist. On soft ground, a child could bathe in her forked footprint, though they aren't likely to get any cleaner for the effort. Her two toes are long and swept up, meeting in a gentle 'U' before arching above the ground to her heel. They force her into a constant crouch, her spine curved almost parallel to the ground, but even so, her chin would rest above the head of even a tall man. Were she able to stand erect, her height would be just over twenty feet. Her spine and hips, however, are built for support not flexibility. She can rear back to an extent, but she will never stand straight. Beyond this, her skeletal structure might be loosely compared to any of the other races; she has limbs in all the right places, two eyes, a mouth and some Calva might be familiar with the idea of a tail. The similarities cannot be stretched much further.

The shoulder and elbow joints of her arms are double jointed, making her reach even wider than her unusually long forearms would suggest. Narrow as those arms are, they hide a deceptive strength as well, though her grip is somewhat hindered by a lack of fingers. Cords of muscle as thick and heavy as old liana can be felt beneath her skin. That same solid strength can be found in her legs and in her tail, which stretches roughly twelve feet down and behind her, ending in a long tuft of black fur. Its primary purpose provides Ama with a greater sense of balance, especially if she is unable to use her hands as support while moving. As such, it is not overly flexible, especially in the first half of its length, gaining mobility towards the tip. It will never be mistaken for prehensile.

Her spine, vertebrae easily distinguished, displays a similar lack of flexibility, most notable in her vertical movement. Her ribcage is suspended from her vertebral column in a manner similar to quadrupedal mammals, and shadows wax and wane with each breath, before an expanse of muscle humps her shoulder and neck. This mass is covered in a thick layer of black fur and hair that reaches nearly to the ground in a tangled mess and the occasional braid. These muscles are necessary to supporting her comparatively large skull, though it appears small next to her drooping ears which hang, raggedly, as gravity wills with little input from her. She has forward-facing small, dark eyes that are often made smaller by her squinting near-sightedness and heavy brows. Broken tusks extend from her long lower jaw, yellowed with age. When her mouth is closed, they rest in slight grooves in her muzzle which droops slightly at the tip, hiding her sharp incisors and canines. She has no obvious nostrils, but two small holes along the bridge of her muzzle provide her with a remarkably good sense of smell.

Her breasts are long and pendulous and held out of the way with a small strip of fabric about her chest that does nothing to ease anyone else's sense of modesty. Other scraps of fabric can be found tied about the base of her ears and she has two bits of string dangling from her tail. The rest of her remains uncovered. Her skin is a strange mix of old leather and the bark of a conifer. It looks dark and weathered from a distance, with strange ridges and patterns up close. Dark green tattooed bands of varying thickness wrap permanently about her forearms and bone rings pierce both her ears and lower lip. A bronze band circles the lower portion of her right tusk. In places, wounds open like rotted wood and the black muscle can be seen moving underneath; they are beginning to heal, but still occasionally weep the amber-hued sap that is her blood. This is a result of her lengthy imprisonment in a dank cell.

PROWESS

• Cemgollor

• While her size and strength are certainly nothing to sneeze at, Ama is a fairly lumbering creature. Anything outside of her reach will have little trouble in staying there if they have even a modicum of agility, despite her lengthy stride. Her arms, however, are quite quick and can bend at rather unusual angles, providing any beast within her reach very little warning should she choose to react violently or kindly. The danger this presents is relatively small given the damage that she could be capable of. Ama has never been trained to fight and her style, if she had a style, would be comparable to swatting at flies. She might break a couple ribs and leave people bruised, but unless they hit something on the way down, an ugly encounter with her is unlikely to prove fatal. That is, unless she is properly provoked to rage. It is nearly impossible, but in such a state, she is more than happy to pull a man apart or crush his head in her teeth.
    • Perhaps because it takes her a long time to get anywhere, Ama can walk, without pause, for a long time. And for her, a long time is closer to a month than it is to a week. While she cannot run, her strides are generally long enough that she is able to keep up with an average horse's trot without too much exertion. And she can happily maintain this pace for as long as the horse is able, even while carrying a heavy load.
    • Ama's tolerance for pain is impressive, but only without an understanding of her physiology. Her skin is thick and has very limited sensitivity; it is more like bark than skin. Very few nerves or blood vessels stretch to the outer inch of her flesh. While she feels heavy pressure or drastic changes in temperature, smaller wounds and bruising are both easy for her to ignore and easy for her to gather without realizing. Larger wounds are irritating, but once her blood has dried to the ragged edges of her skin the wound becomes little more than a weak point where muscles and bone are more easily accessed. Infection is only a small concern. Even her fingertips lack sensitivity. While the skin is thinner (unlike on her feet where it has hardened considerably), it does not allow for the same delicate dexterity that most species possessing opposable digits are given.
    • Her eyesight is less than ideal; she can make out the tiniest details and colours of anything within eight feet of her muzzle, but that detail rapidly diminishes to blurred shades of grey. Beyond thirty feet, she can make out movement and little else. Her hearing and sense of smell make up for this lack to an extent. She can hear a broad range of tones, though it extends further into the infrasonic range than the ultrasonic. Bats and mice are an annoyance, but easy enough to tune out as they are just on the edge of her hearing. The infrasonic she feels as much through vibrations in the earth as through her ear drum. She is also capable of producing infrasonic sound, as low as 5 Hz. Mostly, these sounds are reserved as defense, even though most others cannot hear them, they tend to make people anxious and uneasy with an unknown pressure against their chests. However, she has also been known to produce these rumblings and grunts in complaint or joy or boredom. Sometimes, they aid in communication with plants and animals. Her sense of smell is similar to that of a dog.

• Communicating with plants and animals is less a magic trick and more a simple understanding, but magic eases their differences and makes them more amenable to speaking or listening. Her predatory nature, while not always in evidence, makes herbivores and other predators unlikely to remain nearby (though the occasional family of mice has been known to nest in her hair). Herbivores avoid her out of fear, predators out of solitary natures or a desire to avoid confrontation. Magic helps to cloud these instincts and could force the animals to do as she asks, but she does not use this. Her most common encounters involve scavengers, often birds, who hold no prejudice against her. Plants have become steadily more difficult to speak with over the years, as she grows older, but it is certainly not impossible. Trees, especially, remain receptive to her.
    • She can also inspire movement or rapid growth in plants. It is, however, reliant on the nature of the plant and its natural limitations. Younger plants will have more energy for growth and be more flexible. A vine will invariably be able to grow faster than a tree and a blade of grass will never reach higher than her knee. And any growth or motion she inspires is often permanently at the plant's expense, so she avoids asking too much.
    • She does not consider healing to be one of her skills. Indeed, the only creature she can heal is herself, and even then it hardly counts as healing or magic. Her body is as much plant as it is animal, and is capable of recovering from severe wounds without magic or much outside help, but it is a very slow process and can leave her vulnerable for years as the skin, bone or muscles knit back together. Her magic simply speeds this up in the same manner as she can inspire plants to grow quickly.

• Ama owns nothing. However, she is rarely without some form of walking stick if none of the guards object and she could find a large enough branch.
    A 'D' ring pierces the roof of her mouth with a hefty chain hanging from it. The weight of the chain is a constant ache, pulling at it is sufficient to have her gasping in pain. It was the easiest method the Fatanen had for controlling her.

The Person

• Fatanen Rule
    She would be allied with the Edhil, if she knew about their resistance beyond rumour. However, she finds herself in unfortunate circumstances owing to their previous inability to resist much of anything and is somewhat emotionally torn about the situation. For the time being, she serves the Fatanen rule with few qualms and a single chain.

• A creature of few words, Ama can often appear sullen and morose. Since the rape of her home and murder of her people, this has become more truth than act. Some days, however, it is better attributed to the impatience of whoever is dealing with her. Ama has little need for companionship as she does not understand loneliness, so putting energy into someone else's pleasure by filling the quiet with unnecessary words has never seemed important. Regardless of whether that someone is talking to her and expects a response (and she's stubborn enough to out wait a rock). Her recent imprisonment and subsequent servitude have made her more likely to respond, but less likely to engage. Her words are often bitter and cutting, reflecting the darker edge of her normally dry sense of humour. Beneath this, however, is the echo of a constant sigh of resignation at her current fate. Any desire she may once have fostered for friends has long since stopped its whisperings and trudged home.

This is not to say that she has never had any friends; a select few have been patient enough to wait for her to speak on her own terms. Not that Ama's friendly is much different from her default, but her words seem to come more easily, with a lighter air. The dryness is still there; she may well have been born to that, but the twist of a smile briefly hides her long-standing despair. While she speaks more with her friends, something about her becomes quiet in their presence, peaceful. For these few, she is happy to do just about anything. For everyone else… While she prefers to make them happy, it's never been much of a consideration. For the most part, she prefers the company of trees to people.

Perhaps the most notable thing about Ama was her ability to take everything in stride and simply accept life. She might feel joy or anger, and you would recognize those emotions in her voice or on her face, but they were never extreme. Calm always won out. Even now, resigned as she may be, she will never rail against her fate. Her control, however, has been slipping more often these days and not because she has anything to smile about. While still difficult to anger, her rage has become extremely violent and can be much more easily triggered, especially in situations that are otherwise stressful or potentially dangerous. Anything that reminds her of the Uialien genocide or her time in prison will set her off or make her withdraw even further, but it is difficult to judge the result in advance. There is no gentle rise to anger either, few warnings are given before she snaps, but it rarely lasts long and often leaves her trembling in both exhaustion and fear.

• The pine cone knew nothing except the gentle brush of the wind, the warmth in her base that was the tree and the infernal niggling irritation that was the caterpillar chewing her scales. The silly thing had tickled its way down the cone's side with the last wash of warmth that was daylight and hadn't stopped eating since. It didn't hurt, as such, but it was distracting. Three years of careful coddling and her seeds were nearly ready. Another day and she could have let them go. Her goodbye needed to be perfect, heartfelt. But now? Thinking was impossible.

When the storm blew in that night, neither caterpillar nor pine cone were ready. They went their separate ways. No one remembers what happened to the caterpillar, but the cone landed farther up the mountain, spraying seeds onto the surrounding rocks. One found its way to a small patch of soil and germinated.

For centuries, it grew stunted and low to the ground, too cold and deprived to grow any larger. In particularly bad years, the branches would die off, leaving nothing but the roots. Always, they were patient and would sprout again in the spring. Eventually this patience was rewarded as the climate warmed just enough for the roots to begin a proper tree, growing straight and proud. It was many years before the tree was tall enough to hear the wind as it whispered about the places it had been. At first, it was content to listen, capturing straggling stories in its needle-wrapped branches, but when questions rose out of it, the wind never stopped to answer. Further centuries passed, and the tree died, but not before those patient roots had learnt the meaning of frustration. Ama was their answer. She grew as slowly as the tree before her, but her trunk was curved and her branches swept to the ground. By the time the roots were finally ready to shake free of the dirt, she was barely recognizable as what she is today. It took a long time for her to shed her needles.

Those early years, she traveled slowly along the mountain range where she'd grown, remembering the bits and pieces her first self had heard on the wind and wanting to see the ocean. When she saw that, it was the most beautiful thing! She watched the sun set on the waves before falling asleep. That nap lasted 150 years. Her life has since followed this pattern, though her sleeps have grown shorter as she becomes more animal than tree. She walked around the entirety of Aliudea and Stegros Kundan before making her way inland again. Once, she attempted passage to Inen, but the moment her feet left the earth, her muscles became nearly too weak for her to move.

Despite the long years, she made few friends who lasted. Thrydlden and his mother were two of these. The great tree had watched over her during one of her naps and she'd woken to find the little creature sitting on her foot. They said nothing when she looked down and that settled it. She visited their grove more often than anywhere else, sometimes Thrydlden was there, sometimes not. It was a good place to sleep and learn, though she did more of the former.

She was sleeping when the trees felt it. A shiver that stretched through her core and left her too stunned to protest when the Fatanen came. Violence was foreign to her. They forced her, with spears and swords and rope, onto one of their ships. She collapsed on the deck and remained prone the entire trip. They were forced to drag her onshore with horses. Some of them died when her strength washed back into her muscles, but the Fatanen were quick with more ropes and those sharp spears. Her strength didn't last against the sight of other Uialien being led from the ship's hold.

They broke her tusks and burned her skin, broke her tail and left her to rot in a lonely cell for forty years, dragging her free from time to time to ask their questions and prod their fire sticks through the open sores the damp had left. The only pain she couldn't bear was the half-ring they put through the roof of her mouth. The chain they attached to it kept her under control and broke her teeth. She wasn't speaking anyway.

When they grew tired of her, she was sent to the mines to haul their carts. Now, the king has demanded she be taken before him. A farewell gift for his lady, the guards muttered.

• Thrydlden

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rainjay
Whew, my character is finally finished! I had to take it to the chopping block after I finished, everything was far too long. Please let me know if there are any mistakes, as I'm sure it is riddled with them! I've been out of the game for a long time.

I kind of took the liberty of developing the Fatan side of the story a little more, particularly in the last paragraph of my character's history. To summarize, I stated that the King is seeking the second bracelet to fight off a rising Amulgan army that threatens to overwhelm the entire world. However, if the King is to remain more sinister, it could be entirely possible he is lying to fool his subjects into doing his dirty work for him D: Also, I was unsure if the Fatan were engaged in an actual war against the Edhil, so I just assumed they were fighting the resistance forces. I hope I'm right in this assumption!

Again, let me know if this is alright, I'd be more than happy to change/develop the idea!

I am sick as a dog, and I need to work today, so I probably won't have the energy to go over the currently complete sheets in any great detail today. It'll probably have to actually wait until Sunday because of the way my hours are set up for today and tomorrow. Sorry about that, everyone. Just know that I am really excited to go over everything.

@Auralnaut, I have plans for the High King's purpose in finding Lim's Bracelet, but I think it makes sense that the King would lie to his people about imminent danger from the Amlugan. It would build morale, I think, to have the Amlugan be perceived as a threat, and it wouldn't be much of a stretch considering Eriston society's fantastic racism where non-Fatanen are concerned.

I think they do have occasional war, but I feel like - because of the futility in the Fatanen trying to beat them on the sea and the Edhil being unable to fully beat them on land - those battles have probably tapered off just a bit in favor of the Edhil Resistance sneaking around and doing their best to cripple the Fatanen from the inside and to recover as many prisoners, slaves, and supporters as possible.

That does not sound good, apply some tlc to yourself and don't worry about this gambit till you get better! Get well soon!

Just posting here again to keep my notifications working. I find that if I don't post every so often, even if I'm checking in, the notifications stop working and then I miss something important.

And hello to anybody here!

@Rainjay, I adore the way you described Shale's "birth" and what she looked like as a baby and pretty much just all the things. Seriously. Well done on the Uialien culture additions. What are your thoughts on Nieri being a part of the Resistance group that rescued Shale?

@Auralnaut, ah! Jorah! What a great face claim choice for a Fatan Dagthor. The plural of Edhel is Edhil. The thing I used to generate the image titles cuts off the tails of g's and y's. The dwarf race is actually called Nogyth, not Nogvth. Sorry about the confusion. Nothing I did could fix the cut-off, and I don't have the skill to make pretty image titles myself. CTRL+F will likely be your friend through the editing process.

I'm curious to know which of the three mountains of Stegros Alastair was sent to. There are three in very different locations, and while it's not necessary to the character sheet, I'm curious as a reader.

As for the High King's personality, I'm fine with him being a kind and loving man to people he thinks are full-blooded Fatanen, but he's absolutely a bigoted racist to any and all other races, including Fatanen who have even a drop of some other race in them. It's not that he turns a blind eye to the treatment of the non-Fatanen in his country; it's that he's actively encouraging the treatment they receive. For that reason, Zora Gavros and Hue Syrus have to keep their ancestry a secret. It's why Alastair would be better off keeping his a secret, too. It's fine if Locke thinks the High King isn't as horrible as he really is. Maybe Dwennon just hasn't done any of the torturing in front of Locke because he knows it makes Locke uncomfortable, but I don't imagine there wouldn't be red flags about Dwennon's being racist, regardless of whether or not he's closeted about it in front of Locke or not. I've never met a racist in my real life who didn't set off red flags for me when the discussion of non-white people comes up.

Having the king tell Locke that the reason he wants the bracelets combined is to defeat the Amlugan is just fine, though. There's enough truth to the lie that it could be believable.

Once you fix the grammar and the High King's personality, I'll place your character in the accepted list.

I can accept him before we sort this out because it can be added to our histories later, but we'll want to discuss connections between Alastair and Zora. Because Locke is both a friend and advisor to the High King, it's highly unlikely the two wouldn't have met due to her romantic and sexual connection to Dwennon. She also advises him at times though her advice is always given privately. Even so, she's close to the King, and that would give her a connection to Locke. How do you think he would feel about her? I don't see them as friends, but I do see them at least knowing each other. Once @Beckett creates the Fatanen Rule character, we'll both have another person to connect our characters to because I know that this character is also going to be intended to be in the High King's inner circle.

@Trivia, sorry I didn't say so sooner, but I absolutely adore your depiction of Ama. It's incredibly well done, and I love her look. It gives me The Dark Crystal vibes. <3 Ama is in the Pending Character list until your sheet is finished and accepted.

EDIT
We are no longer accepting Uialien characters for the Edhil Resistance Party.

@Rainjay, I adore the way you described Shale's "birth" and what she looked like as a baby and pretty much just all the things. Seriously. Well done on the Uialien culture additions. What are your thoughts on Nieri being a part of the Resistance group that rescued Shale?
Thank you! And I think it'd be a good idea, something Nieri would be likely to do. Perhaps the two became semi-acquainted as a result?

Wheeeeee, back from our little trip. It was fun. There were mountains. :) We ate chocolate. It was depressingly lacking in snow though, but ah well, at least we hadn't planned on going skiing.

I'll read over things and get right on the addition of Shale into Truffle's history, since I didn't have time to do it before we left. I'm all over excited for this getting underway!

I think once @Beckett makes their Fatanen Party character and @Auralnaut makes the necessary changes to Locke, we'll be ready to begin. We'll still be accepting people and characters, but I think I'll enforce a limit of ten characters per party and two characters per player.

Sounds good.

@Rainjay, I added Shale to Truffle's history, if you want to make sure it sounds okay. Mention's in the second paragraph. :)

I've been wondering, is there a common language between the races? You have all spoken about the uialien language quite a few times but what about those non-uialien characters? Will ajani @Firewombat 's chaRacter speak the same tongue as us? Given where she grew up? How do the other races sound like?

Is there a common Verdanally recognized speech?

Then there's the issue of food, is there a cultural significance here? Like will uiliae and edhil be all vegetarian, while a calva/fat roasts a deer in fRont of their face? Things like that.

Sidenote:
I'm worried that with over 10 players at once posting essay-like pieces, once a day, things are going to get hectic really, really quick. That's just my experience.

I may be fretting over nothing because maybe this will be different. You guys seem to be having so much fun amongst yourselves already in the OOC afterall.

I imagine the Calva have as many languages as they have tribes in much the same way that Native Americans in our world do.

The Edhil probably have two or three closely related/slightly interchangeable ones though they'll likely have a common-Edhil tongue that is used on the main island.

I see the Nogyth having three though there are similarities in the same way that Mexico-Spanish and Spain-Spanish have some subtle differences but they're the same language.

The Uialien only have one language, and I envisioned it as being a sort of sing-song sort of sound, but the pronunciation between the Seelie and Unseelie on some words probably varies a little.

I think the common tongue would have come out of Eriston back when things were pretty peaceful. There's probably like... one main language there with several offshoots the way that English, French, and Spanish all stemmed from Latin and how there are even more languages stemming from those.

As for the Amlugan, I imagine they have a rough language with growls and guttural sounds that only they can pronounce because they're not humanoid, and would therefore have completely different anatomical structures of their vocal regions. There would only be one language for them.

I think the choice to eat or to not eat meat will be a personal choice. I imagine there are some Uialien who are even purely carnivores and some who don't eat plants or animals at all but syphon energy directly from living sources. It's all just dependent on the being, not the race. Even Calva would be varied because there are races of Calva that aren't really meat eaters such as horse Calva and deer Calva. I'm sure it's possible that the Edhil eat more vegetables than animals, but I'm sure they eat animals, too, with a few choosing to go vegetarian or vegan. If you like the idea of there being dishes specific to the culture Rowen grew up in, then I have no qualms with your coming up with things like that.

As for concerns with the size of the role-play... I won't be posting once a day. In fact, I'm a slow poster. I have a job, a house to maintain, a boyfriend with whom I live, and a rabbit to care for. The role-play may in fact end up moving at a relatively slow but hopefully steady pace because my pace is so slow. I've been in large-scope role-plays before, and in my experience, setting up a sort of posting order can really help. In this case, it would be less about individual order and more about group order. For instance, let's say we've got A, B, C, D, and E who need to post. Let's say C posts first, followed by D, A, E, and B. The instant B submits a post, that ends the cycle. C could make the first post of the next cycle of posting, but if A, E, or D wanted to post first, they could as long as no one posts before all five people have posted within the cycle. Does that make sense?

I'm also going to implement the rule that we make distinctions about what group our character is in. For instance, I have two characters. I would make a header above a post from Nieri's perspective that tells everyone that I'm posting for the Edhil Resistance Party, and above the parts from Zora's perspective, I would make a header saying that it's from the Fatanen Rule Party. I might have people with only one character do it, too, because then anyone feeling overwhelmed could make the choice to only read what matters for their party, and I can make posts in the OoC that signify when someone's post will directly affect the opposite party, namely when they end up meeting.

As for OoC conversations, I'd really like us to all start limiting them to only things relevant to the RP and our characters. I understand that we all want to get to know each other, too, but I know of one player with an accepted character who is already behind on just the OoC because there's been a lot of talking about things that have nothing to do with the game itself. So how about this... Any chatter that doesn't have to do with the RP should remain in Spoiler boxes, and if it's not accompanied by something actually pertaining to the game or our characters, I recommend waiting until there's something relevant to say before posting other things. Does that sound fair?

That sounds like a good clarification of things! I was about to suggest the posting order myself if you had not mentioned it. :)

I was just giving an example, I know there are calva and uiliae who eat very different things from one another. :) It's just the idea of killing something for food is a universal taboo/non-taboo that applies regardless of realities (real life or otherwise), so I thought it'd only be fair that I brought it up!

Think about the time when gollum ate raw fish and sam demanded that he cook it, but when gollum ignored sam and continued ...well sam's disgusted face says it all. ;)

In any case. I had the idea that edhil were more environmentally friendly when it came to their cuisine, given that uiliae can look like ANYTHING and they were close friends - the edhil might have chosen a more home-grown, vegetarian approach to food lest they accidently hunted someone instead of something. Family dinners would otherwise take on a whole new horrific meaning.

As for Rowen, he'd be cultuarally edhil-inclined. Given where he grew up and where he spent most of his life, I think most dishes he would know are from hyarya-tol's inns and restaurant. Given it's geographical location, I reckon their dishes are likely related to seafood and cold weather vegetables. Being closer north and surrounded by sea. I'd imagine that it's a place where Sairuvars are common too, so expect some unusual/fantastic dishes @_@. Though I don't know if he remembers anything specifically calvan, he never really liked his tribe much given his background and eating them probably brings back bad memories. I'd have to leave that to the other calvan characters to explore.

This is all up for discussion and I'm setting nothing in stone.

Still It is Good to know that our characters would have a common language, though on the other hand it would have been fun to play guessing games every time we spoke. "Hungry ... or You.. want this ...fork.... in ...your face? o_O!???"

I imagine Edhil don't really hunt all that much, that they rely more on cattle they raise specifically for the purpose of food, and they'd use pretty much every bit of any animal they ate that they possibly could. As for seafood dishes, the entire nation is surrounded by water, not just Hyarya Tol. I imagine fishing is something that's done by every island in the archipelago. But cold weather veggies would be something that could be more unique to Hyarya Tol that the other islands have imported. There could also be different animals in different parts of the ocean that specific islands have better access to than others.

I think something like the language barrier could be fun at first, but I think because the scope of this RP sets it up for lasting a while, it would get tiresome really quickly if there wasn't a common language they could all speak.

Ooooh, languages! And food!

Truffle eats just about anything and everything, provided it decays well. They don't have the same digestive sytem that we have, so anything they swallow basically becomes part of a compost heap in what passes for their stomach. Hence their smell, and why one should not ask them to cook. Spiced tree bark is tasty... Though, if you collect the ingredients and then ask them to cook it, that might work. lol

I was thinking I might have some large language barriers between Truffle and anyone who doesn't speak Uialien, and smaller ones with the Edhil languages, since Truffle never would have needed to learn the common language and the Edhil who came into Aliudea probably knew a bit of the Uialien language. At least enough to get by. So, Truffle'd know a little more Edhil simply from speaking with the ambassadors in Aliudea and then from living in Inen after being rescued, but would have only started learning Common within the past ten years, and haphazardly at that.

The reason I'm okay with this is that Truffle has the built in cheat of being able to read minds, while it may not directly translate for them, especially if a person is purposely thinking in another language, it can make basic concept understanding easier, and they can learn the language through other people's knowledge. Of course, I enjoy language barriers, and having to work around them, but it can be difficult to work with if it isn't small enough to allow some understanding or meant to be something the characters can focus on for a bit. But, I think it's pretty safe in this instance, since there's such a diverse cast of characters, to trust that there's always going to be at least one person available to translate for your character.

And, a question @Thought Manifest, do you know the route each group will be taking? Or is that going to be planned out and discussed ICly?

o_O I'll have to think on that then, when this comes up my posts will be certified compatible by lore! :> I don't know if there will be other characters from hyarya-tol in the future but so far it does not seem like there are specifically anyone who is from there, I guess that means I've got a bit more freedom when piecing together the place together in my posts.

Spiced tree bark, fyi, is actually tasty in real life. I say so because cinnamon is a spice AND a tree bark! :)

Haha, you have a point, though I wouldn't really call it tasty on its own. You have to add it, in small amounts, to other things before it turns into something you'd actively want to eat. Otherwise, it's very dry and kinda bitter... >.> Truffle just eats most things as they come, barring those moments when they add some of their two spices to it just to change things up a bit. :P They do sometimes grow very tasty mushrooms though, if anyone likes mushrooms. ;)

Don't let Rowen know, unless you want Truffle to live as a walking mushroom farm after all this is over.

That, or he will sneak into their tent and start picking them at night. For ...err ...academic reasons. *pan sizzles* :P