October Knight

Hi-def
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
Vocabulary Challenge
Brought to you by: October Knight and Fluffy; Partners in Crime

[bg=#006633]This challenge is to help strengthen your vocabulary. You'll learn new words and how to use them in roleplay posts, stories, poems, etc!

Instructions:
1. Aim for a minimum of 1-3 paragraphs. If you'd like to write more than that, then go for it!
2. Make sure you use each word in your post. Be as creative as you'd like.
3. Style the writing like you would for a story. It can be describing a setting, or written from the perspective of a character. Whatever you feel would work the best.
4. Have fun with this, of course!

The Words:

• ineffable (adj.) Unutterable.
  • matricide (n.) The killing, especially the murdering, of one's mother.
  • odious (adj.) Hateful.
  • repartee (n.) A ready, witty, or apt reply.
  • sapient (adj.) Possessing wisdom.
[/bg]

This odious crime which history knows all to well has become my blessing and my release. The most ineffable crime of matricide has become my identity, one which I do not wholly deserve but neither will I rebuke. It is my fate that my time on this earth should begin and end with that word: mother. There are none who would believe my protests, that this heinous matricide is not of my own hand but that of my brother. I have been forever cursed as the elder child, the bearer of responsibility for the mistakes of the younger. My punishment for not having served my duty until now must be this cruel twist of fate wherein I bear upon my shoulders his sins.

Let the sapient offer no repartee, there is no ready reply for my confessions as I will not deny my crime. In my neglect of my younger brother, I am guilty. Living in the shadow of an elder while so desperately seeking approval from the one known as mother, the one who gave you life, how can one bear this is peace? Each day, each breath, to fall short in her eyes when all you sought was love... It is enough that he will never attain that satisfaction. That is his punishment - this is mine.

Edgar eased himself on to the balcony of his mother's chambers. It was no easy decision for him to commit matricide, but his mind was set. His mother was the most odious, spiteful bitch to ever grace the earth, and murdering her would free the people of Umdinia from her iron fist. The knowledge that his mother had sentenced many peasants to be brutally beaten, tortured, and killed for no other reason than her own pleasure had pained Edgar. He brushed aside the curtains and entered her chambers.

It was dark. Edgar could barely see where he was going. He could hear the deep breaths of his mother sleeping off to his right. He paused, taking a deep breath. There was no turning back from this ineffable crime now. Clutching the poisoned dagger in his right hand, he moved forward. The breathing was coming closer and closer, and before he knew it he was at her bed. He plunged the dagger deep in to her chest. She woke with a tortured scream, blood pouring out of her mouth. Guards rushed in to the room holding lanterns, and as Edgar turned back towards the balcony, he looked in to his mother's eyes.

"
Thank you," she whispered as she died, a pleased look in her eyes.

"
You, halt!" shouted the guard.

"
I'd love to stay for some repartee, but alas, I must go. Know that I am sapient, and I would have delighted you with the wittiest of banter. Farewell!" Edgar shouted, jumping off the balcony and in to the river below.

Reactions: 1 person
"But... But this is matricide!!" The shriek rose from the girl in perfect cadence to each foot-stomp, her round, full cheeks reddening as her small fists balled at her sides.

Slowly, her mother's mouth turned up in a grin. It was perhaps not time for full out repartee, but she couldn't resist the gently teasing tone, "Sweetie... That doesn't mean what you think it means. And we'll get you a new one. I told you... You're too big now, for the crib."

As though her mother had spoken some odious curse, the girl slapped her hands over her mouth to subliment a gasp, "No! No! No! I don't want a new bed! I want mine!"

Hot tears burned behind her big blue eyes and her mother sank down in front of her, taking her hands. In truth, there wasn't much to say to a toddler, determined not to accept change. Change was the ineffable thing... And sometimes, only actions would suffice. Pulling her in, she wrapped her daughter in a tight embrace, "Shh. It's okay, sweetie. Shh."

For several minutes, the girl cried into her mother's shoulder, until bitterness dissolved with the tears and pulling away, she sniffed noisily, wiping a pudgy hand beneath her nose, "What if I don't like my new bed?"

"Well..." Her mother began, with a sapient smile, "If you come with us... You can pick it out yourself. How about that?"

Words weren't needed then, either. Without a single one, the girl released her mother and tore off, and not a minute later, the rustling of shoe shod feet could be heard, shuffling to the front door.

"Mommmmmmmmmaaaaaa! C'mooooooon!"

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: PoetLore
The sapient elder watched the young prince wrestle with the advice that had been given. There was no repartee or jovial message this day, but an ineffable, dark message of death and murderous betrayal. Aged eyes full of the weight of many years as a seer and confidant to the royals watched as the prince paced and raked shaking hands through thick dark locks.

"How can this be?" he asked desperately, "How can the heavens expect me to murder my mother?" the very thought of committing such an odious crime as matricide brought the sour sting of bile to his throat.

"Your mother will betray us all if you do not. I have seen it. She will marry the King of Amonvel and our kingdom will be gone."

Was that such a bad thing, he wondered. He would be free of the burden of ascending to the throne. He could marry for love. Was there a down side to this?

The elder seeing the wheels turning in the wrong direction stepped forward, "You are our kingdom...if she marries the King of Amonvel you will be killed. Choose. Your life or hers."