October Knight

Hi-def
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
Vocabulary Challenge
Brought to you by: October Knight and Fluffy; Partners in Crime

[bg=#006633]This challenge is to help strengthen your vocabulary. You'll learn new words and how to use them in roleplay posts, stories, poems, etc!

Instructions:
1. Aim for a minimum of 1-3 paragraphs. If you'd like to write more than that, then go for it!
2. Make sure you use each word in your post. Be as creative as you'd like.
3. Style the writing like you would for a story. It can be describing a setting, or written from the perspective of a character. Whatever you feel would work the best.
4. Have fun with this, of course!

The Words:

• Abase - (v.) To lower in position, estimation, or the like; degrade
  • Datum - (n.) A premise, starting-point, or given fact.
  • Dauntless - (adj.) Fearless.
  • Tincture - (N.) A solution of alcohol and water, containing animal, vegetable or chemical drugs.
  • Disjunctive - (adj.) Helping or serving to disconnect or separate.
[/bg]

Things had been going well for Adam. He was nearing the end of his research project, which he had been working on for almost four years now. It had all started with the testing of several different tinctures, each one almost indistinguishable from the others, with the amounts of water and alcohol used to dilute the drugs being the only difference between the liquids in each vial. The end goal of the project was to determine whether or not LSD could make the user hallucinate the future, with minimal side-effects, and while everyone had told him that he was ridiculous for even attempting such a strange research project, he had remained dauntless of the immense task ahead of him.

The trials had all gone swimmingly, now the only task that remained was sorting through all of his research data to find that one piece of datum that would confirm his hypothesis and give him validity in the community. For that he had a research assistant, someone who, for the most part, he had treated as an equal while performing the tests on their subjects. They had joked around like friends, and even spent time together outside of the lab. This had the unfortunate side effect of making his assistant feel like an equal, and one day his assistant had asked to be credited as a co-researcher. That had pissed Adam off, and he started wearing epaulets on his lab coat in an attempt to be more disjunctive. When that didn't work, he ordered his assistant to do all the bitch work, effectively abasing him. In the end, it had cost him a friend.

Awesome words!

It took nearly thirteen of the seventy-two hours Paige spent in the cell, three hours of disjunctive wiggling to free herself from the uncomfortably tight bonds. She'd done it, but now the cell door stood between her and freedom, and there would be no breaking through that easily.

Mannick would return soon. He always came at night, when light stopped filtering through the slats in the barred windows and the small room went nearly pitch black. He could come and he would stand, silhouetted in the stairwell and he would simply watch her...

For the first several days, she'd done what she could to drag every ounce of information, every scrap of datum from the man. So far, she had acquired very little of use beyond his name and why she was there.

That night, she would break through his walls, or she would break out. There was no other options.

Almost like clockwork, with a solid groan the metal door at the top of the stairs opened, and the last few seconds of sunlight found Mannick's feet at he started down the stairs. With each creak of the steps he took, Paige's heart slammed into her chest. This time, he didn't stop at the stairwell, and for a moment, she feared he knew about the ropes. But the expression he wore wasn't anger, as his face came into view, but one nearly abased... A scolded child's gaze, averted and uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry I've kept you waiting, my pet." He cooed, and pushing his hand through the cell bars, he reached for her.

Paige recoiled, eyes blazed with dauntless determination, "Waiting for what, you sick son of a--"

"Drink this." And his hand uncurled to show a small glass vile. The contents were a sickly pale green, sloshing slightly from the quiver in his arm.

"What is it?" Paige hissed, eyes shifting from the tincture to the man.

He never met her eyes, but from the twitch at the corner of his mouth, she could see a smirk, "Drink it... And I'll set you free."

Staring at him, Paige's eyes narrowed. It was a trick. It was always a trick, but she was done playing his games. Taking the vial, she uncapped the small cork and stepped back, she poured the foul liquid down her throat.

Hannah blinked as she woke. Her mind felt oddly foggy and her head was throbbing as she squinted against the harsh light that was surrounding her. her hand reached up to find purchase on anything to help her stand, but her fingers curled around an icy metal bar instead of the post of her bed she expected. She tried to sit up but the bars prevented it. Terror now filled her and her other hand wrapped around the bars just above her and shook them with all the strength she could muster.

A shadowed form began to move toward her and as it came closer she felt the air in her lungs freeze. Where was she? Who was that? The blurred image came into view when the bright light was obscured by its nearness. "Ahh, you are finally awake. We may begin then."

"Begin what? Where am I? Who are you?"

"I am a doctor. You have been sent here for treatment. You have been a danger to yourself and others far too long."

Abased by his words she frowned and closed her eyes. So they finally made good on their threats then. "I have never been a danger to anyone else."

The doctor shrugged and then turned away only to return with a syringe filled with an odd glowing tincture. "You may not have seen your actions as harmful but you were a disjunctive force in your family, nearly tearing it to shreds with your selfish actions. Now I will create a calmer, less...disagreeable version of yourself that will no longer be a negative force in your family."

Hannah peered at him defiantly, dauntless in the face of whatever he was about to do. "I will not be silenced, or culled."

"Oh but you will dear. Oh but you will." The needle stabbed into her arm and the glowing liquid disappeared into her body.