EXERCISE 5 Word Challenge #12

Discussion in 'REFINING WRITING' started by October Knight, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Vocabulary Challenge
    Brought to you by: October Knight and Fluffy; Partners in Crime

This challenge is to help strengthen your vocabulary. You'll learn new words and how to use them in roleplay posts, stories, poems, etc!

1. Aim for a minimum of 1-3 paragraphs. If you'd like to write more than that, then go for it!
    2. Make sure you use each word in your post. Be as creative as you'd like.
    3. Style the writing like you would for a story. It can be describing a setting, or written from the perspective of a character. Whatever you feel would work the best.
    4. Have fun with this, of course!

The Words:

• Annals (n.) -A record of events in their chronological order, year by year.
    • Antecedent (n.) One who or that which precedes or goes before, as in time, place, rank, order, or causality.
    • Befog (v.) To confuse.
    • Epicure (n.) One who cultivates a delicate taste for eating and drinking.
    • Macadamize (v. ) To cover or pave, as a path or roadway, with small broken stone.
  2. John had been studying in the library, his text on quantum mechanics befogging his social scientist mind, when he suddenly got the urge to go to the bathroom. Ever since he had started going to the University, he had never packed a lunch, meaning he had become quite friendly with the cafeteria's lunch menu. Over the years he had refined his palate based on that menu, and he could tell which cook was working each day based simply on how the food was prepared. That had earned him the nickname of 'epicure', and while slightly mocking him, it was never meant to completely degrade him. Unfortunately for John, his familiarity with the lunch menu also meant that he got the occasional Tuesday Taco Shits and had to spend a half hour on the can. It was something that he started to plan around, and it was also the cause of his greatest accomplishment.

He first came up with the idea of the 'Annals of the Seventh Floor Men's Bathroom Stall' on a particularly ferocious Tuesday, when he had forgotten to check the stall for toilet paper. In an act of desperation, he logged on to Twitter from his phone, and tweeted his predicament to his peers at the University. Within minutes the door burst open, a voice calling out, "BallerUnicorn, you in here man? I got your tweet." Someone had come to his rescue! He had to document this momentous occasion on the wall of the stall, and he started scratching his now infamous words on the door of the stall, "Weary Student, let me serve as the antecedent in your journey here. If you shall let me, I will macadamize the way for you, not with tar or asphalt, but with nuggets of wisdom." That was just the beginning. The next week the toilet wouldn't flush, and the week after the seat had gone missing. Each of these incidents made it on to the stall, as well as his solutions. And before he knew it, people had started responding to him, asking him for advice, letting him know that his misfortunes in the bathroom had served as a beacon of hope for future generations of bathroom goers.