400 Alternative words for "Said".

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Diana, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Well, I'm heading off for now, my mom wants me to sleep soon. At least Blake doesn't have much action going on with him lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. If I ever say said again slap me.

3. Also, I am also going to be out in four minutes. Won't be posting until 4ish tomorrow. Getting a haircut and having some lunch out of borough. May try to get some posts in on mobile

4. You can tell Asmo is being lazy when he uses "muttered", "barked", "snapped", "whimpered" or "retorted". My posts are full of the bastards.

5. DIANA! I LOVE YOU FOR THIS!

I've needed this...

Chortled is my fav.

6. *slaps Diana*

7. Sorry I didn't know... :~:

8. I -SAID- DON'T USE SAID AT ALL UNLESS YOU HAVE TO DISTINGUISH WHO IS SPEAKING, TORSTY. D:<

That includes alternate words for said. Damn foreigners! D:<

9. People call these "said bookisms" or just "bookisms."

There are a lot of writer advice pages that insist you NEVER use them to supposedly counteract the tendency for a lot of writers to, at some point, compulsively avoid using "said."

I once went looking for a list like this many years ago only to instead find hundreds of pages insisting they were bad anyway. I find that a little sad. Poor carpenters.

I see lists like these as a pretty neat tool, though I won't hesitate to use "said" unless the passage really demands something else.

10. Yeah, I've noticed a lot of articles will say "THIS IS BAD" because they get stuck in trying to avoid annoying repetitiveness. ...But then they go overboard by saying "NEVER DO IT EVER" instead of "PAY ATTENTION"!

11. YOU ALSO SAID:

And the author is from Spain. So............foreigner-power!

12. ** takes note **

... i used to do the opposite, whenever i need to distinguish who is saying what, i use "said ______" or its derivatives.

but then again, since people get too confused with my writing, i put "said _______" (or its derivatives) after every quote. but then again, maybe i need to look for another approach, since my writing is generally confusing anyways, with or without "said".

13. Well, don't forget that if it's just 2 people talking, you don't have to distinguish at all. That's how I get out of a lot of "____ Said, ____ Replied" stuff. Unless something interrupts the conversation, you don't have to either. ^_^

14. I don't know... good ol' 'said' is just so reliable ^^

'Chortled' is pretty good though.

15. Thanks for posting this, it will be most useful! ^^ I haven't RPed in a while, and over the last three years most of my writing has been in the way of essays and press releases.

I'll probably use this for a while, since I've become quite lazy in my 'fiction writing'. :P

16. @Verite or @Atomyk or any of the co-GMs... what's the ruling on Naomi and Little Guy having their cell phones inside the glass box?

17. I'm totally late to this, sorry.

I would suggest Azura buuut idk if Revy would like her or somet