21 and Legal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well remember this. You don't have to have alcohol to have a good time. In fact if you MUST have alcohol you probably arent having a good time. Focus less on the fact you're legal and treasure this time as a time you get to spend with friends. They won't always be easily accessible and you don't know when your time with them will end.

You can buy alcohol anywhere anytime. You can't say that about friends.
You make a good point.

I kinda just wanted some drink suggestions lol I usually just have wine or whiskey. Keep in mind its like a shot a of whiskey with my parents and wine is the same only.

I had a fake id when I was 17 and was boozing heavily by the time I was 19. The first thing I bought legally was a fifth of JD. It was awesome, still. Really awesome :)

• Thank You
Reactions: Lawkheart
I won't, I know myself. I'll probably have, at most, two drinks the whole day.

Have you ever had any drinks before? If not then two drinks is already a step towards drunkenness. If you're also female and light weight, it'll further add to the probability. Also if you mean two drinks as in, "two rounds from the bar," then you'll effectively be drinking more than two average beverages (as in a store-bought beercan/bottle).

You make a good point.

I kinda just wanted some drink suggestions lol I usually just have wine or whiskey. Keep in mind its like a shot a of whiskey with my parents and wine is the same only.

Oh sorry. You can punch me and tell me I'm kinduva dick now.

Rum and cola. Nice and easy. Add a slice of lime and tada! You got a Cuba Libre!

I dunno if you're planning to go to a bar but personally I avoid things with cherry and/or grapefruit. mixed drinks with those fruits generally tastes like Robitussin to me.

Have you ever had any drinks before? If not then two drinks is already a step towards drunkenness. If you're also female and light weight, it'll further add to the probability. Also if you mean two drinks as in, "two rounds from the bar," then you'll effectively be drinking more than two average beverages (as in a store-bought beercan/bottle).
Yeah I have and from what I've asked of my dad, I'm not a light weight and I meant two drinks as in two drinks, not two rounds at the bar.

Oh sorry. You can punch me and tell me I'm kinduva dick now.

Rum and cola. Nice and easy. Add a slice of lime and tada! You got a Cuba Libre!
It's okay, I take advice whenever it's given so thank you ^_^

Cool! I think I've tasted that before, but instead of a lime it was lemon.

My first drink was Kirin Beer, I didn't like it at first but developed a taste for it over the months. I believe I was around 24 or 25 when I first tried it.

If you go drink at a bar, don't be shy to ask the bartender's/mixologist's advice. That's their job. They'll walk you through the flavors of everything and give you suggestions based on your feedback! It's kinda fun that way--kinda like ordering a "Surprise Me!" drink at Starbucks or meal at a restaurant.

I was drinking heavily on a frequent basis well before I was of legal age, because #ScotlandLyfe, but my first legal drink was a pint at the bar just outside my front door. One of my mates popped over and spent the day on my 18th, and he's the one who got it for me. I don't even remember what beer it was to be honest, my 18th wasn't really a thing any of us made a big deal of and I'd been to bars and house parties enough that it wasn't really a thing to be remembered anymore. Some solid advice is being given in this thread though.

In terms of your first drink, personally I'd recommend a good pint. You can buy or mix other stuff at home and it's not that different to what you get when you're out, but the difference between canned/bottled beer and draught beer is astonishing. So much nicer from the tap.

I'm not legal yet, but I do enjoy a good Jack and Coke or Jack and Ginger Ale. Jack and GA is a lot smoother, in case you want something smoother.

Or you could do Black Label and 7-Up. That's a good one too. Just careful with that. I drank them thinking they weren't as bad as a couple of Jack and Cokes, and couldn't feel my face after the second one.

• Thank You
On my 21st birthday, I had:

Fuzzy Navel
White Russian
Wet Pussy (at the suggestion of a friend)
Pink Pussy (because that friend realized she'd ordered me the wrong drink)
Stop Light
Sake sangria
And several shots of straight sake.

It was fun... for about three hours.

Then it was not fun for about thirteen.

That was a while ago though. Nowadays I just relax with a glass of scotch.

• Thank You
What did you guys first drink when you were legal?

Coca cola. I don't drink alcohol at all. I've only gotten it into my body two times when I took the wrong glass by accident. It tastes horrible xb And even before I tasted it, I knew that I didn't want to have anything to do with it. It's just not something that interests me.

I know most of us have already had our first drinks, but what was your first legal drink?

I dunno. Some yellow/white-ish wine which came from my dad's glass. I was so busy fixing with the presents for Christmas, so I didn't notice that I took the wrong glass.

What was your first drink in your life?

Some red-ish wine I think? Once again, it was an accident xD

What drinks should I try when I'm finally legal and able to get them myself?

In my opinion, you're better of not drinking :D And I don't know any drinks... So... Meh.

I've never cared much for alcohol of any kind. I fail to see the use of it, or the allure of getting drunk. I mean, I grew up around alcoholics so I've seen all the bad sides of drinking.

I do drink from time to time, but it's mostly just white wine for dinners, or the occasional try at liqueur. Also tried pink champagne once.

First legal drink was said white wine. Can't recall the name of it, but it was fairly okay, and I only bothered with a single glass.

I do know how to make quite a few drinks and cocktails thanks to a bartender character that needed some extensive research. Mixing drinks could be a great deal of fun, actually.

I think my first legal drink was a vodka and coke. I didn't like it.

More or less everything I've tried before and after I didn't like either.

Why does all the alcohol have to taste like alcohol? It's gross. D:

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
The legal drinking age in Finland is 18 and during these two years, I've kept my distance from alcohol and I'm planning to keep it that way.

I recommend apple juice for you, it's rather awesome.

My first legal drink was probably champagne, and I really like it. Not too often though, but for special occasions its nice to have a glass or two.

Before I could legally drink, I had some wine of different kinds (just a taste, not actually drinking them), Ouzo (accidentally, and I hated it), and Cuba Libre. The first and only time I've ever gotten drunk was at 14, off of Vodka I snatched from the liquor cabinet mixed with juices of different kinds. It was a fun experience, but kind of meh at the same time.
I don't think I'll ever plan to get drunk again.

I started in scotch

Never went lower until I found good beer

Still prefer scotch 10 years later

Fuck you beer drinking pansies

Now when you say it Finhawk, we're also allowed to drink in Sweden when we turn 18 xD Forgot about that. We can drink at bars, cafes and wherever we want, but we're not allowed to buy our alcohol from the only people allowed to sell it, systembolaget. (The Swedish Alcohol Retailing Monopoly). We need to be 21 to buy from them.... But our parents and our friends are allowed to give us drinks, and we can get them in restaurants and all that, but we're not allowed to buy our own bottle xD Cause apparently if an 18 year old can buy their own bottles, they'll become alcoholics. Cause no one has ever gotten super drunk and fainted in a ditch when drinking at a bar :I Swedish logic :D

Well, either way I've never even thought about entering the systembolaget. My friend actually wanted me to go and buy a drink for her on my 21st birthday, just so that I could say I had gone and bought a drink on that day haha (Of course she would have payed for it.) But I said no.. Cause it felt unnecessary

Now when you say it Finhawk, we're also allowed to drink in Sweden when we turn 18 xD Forgot about that. We can drink at bars, cafes and wherever we want, but we're not allowed to buy our alcohol from the only people allowed to sell it, systembolaget. (The Swedish Alcohol Retailing Monopoly). We need to be 21 to buy from them.... But our parents and our friends are allowed to give us drinks, and we can get them in restaurants and all that, but we're not allowed to buy our own bottle xD Cause apparently if an 18 year old can buy their own bottles, they'll become alcoholics. Cause no one has ever gotten super drunk and fainted in a ditch when drinking at a bar :I Swedish logic :D
Heja Sverige!

....You crazy Swedes are such complicated people.

Though the good thing is, I've learned something new about Finland's lovely neighbor and rival today. Yay for knowledge that I'll never need! :D

Reactions: redblood
We can drink at bars, cafes and wherever we want, but we're not allowed to buy our alcohol from the only people allowed to sell it, systembolaget. (The Swedish Alcohol Retailing Monopoly). We need to be 21 to buy from them....
Canada's like that when it comes to smoking, except the legal age is 19.

Except even being given it by a parent or friend counts as illegal... :/

I'm dumb! I should have said what my first drink was (illegal). Actually it was an accident... and I was 3. My grandpa used to have this cart of various alcohols and as my mom told me, I grabbed the prettiest bottle, as well as one of the biggest bottles and hid under my grandparents bed. It was some sort of tequila that they get from PR and when my mom found me I already drank a third of the bottle that was half full.

As my mom and dad tell me, I called it "Aguita" which was my way pf saying water in my broken spanish at that age and then I proceeded to sleep for 9 hours. When I woke up, however, she said I was fine, but she still took me to the doctors and even they said I was fine, which I still find hard to believe but yep. My first drink was tequila straight... at 3 years old.

• Love
Reactions: Gonzo
Status
Not open for further replies.