2075: Reclaiming North America

Jay put a hand put softly on her chin, raising her head to his stare. "It's alright Mirette, I am here for you." He wiped the tear before it scaled her cheek. He sat the two down on the bed. "Its alright to cry. Don't let it build up." He put a hand on her lap for comfort.

David froze when he saw Elodie. Wow, does she look beautiful! He thought as she approached. "Oh, it's not a problem. It was a very tense moment, really. I sent my best men after her. I trust them." David hated to lie to her like that, but it was partly for Anne's safety. He believed that part of him could tell her that he helped her escape, that he would find out if she truly was alright. He needed to find out, now. Elodie motivated him without saying a word to do so.

Honey, relax. In due time. Adam drove to the day care and spent some time with Marnee and Frederick there. They weren't to leave you, so he used it to relieve some stress. When the time finally came to leave, he put their coats on and drove home. Adam sat at his office desk as his kids played, thinking about the situation in a whole. It seemed sketchy. The European Union was never hostile towards the NAU. The bantering Carter referred was the NAU's fault in the first place. It was one of the reason Adam went more radical. These ideas caused Adam to become stressed and isolated from his children for the moment. "Daddy?" Frederick said, creaking his door open. "Daddy Marnee hit me!" Adam looked back, with not much of an expression. "Bring her in." Adam said blankly. Frederick look worried but ran off yelling for Marnee. "You're in trouble Marnee!" Adam heard him yell. "We both are." Adam said to himself

As Jay moved Mirette to sit on her bed, the levels of confusion on her face fluctuated. A multitude of thoughts ran through her mind. How could Anne have just left? What could be so bad that Anne would just run without telling Mirette what was wrong? Did she think Mirette wouldn't support her? How could she even doubt Mirette like that? had she done something to make Anne doubt her? Was this her fault?

And Estrella. She couldn't even think about Estrella right now.

And then Jay touched her lap, bringing Mirette back to the real world, rather than the world of doubt she created in her mind.

She bit her lip in surprise. Mirette suddenly felt SO awkward for acting this way in front of him.

He must feel so uncomfortable, she thought, but she didn't really care. She had too many other thoughts on her mind. It became harder by the moment to keep her tears in, but still, Mirette managed. She hated how emotional she was acting as it was.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, to Jay, even though he'd told her it was okay.

Elodie nodded as David spoke. "I'm glad you're all right," she said seriously, and then she frowned more gravely. "Please find her," she asked, softly, and then she swallowed hard. Elodie tipped her head to the side, a bit awkwardly, as she tried to hide the bruises along her jaw. She sighed, backing up to the door of her husband's study. "Have a good day," she said softly. Elodie turned, opening Carter's door and slipping inside, closing it behind her. She crossed her arms loosely, backing herself against the door and silently looking at her husband.

Oh my god, would you just tell me that you're okay, so that I can get on with me day =P?

Marnee pouted as Frederick called her name, and scurried over to her father's corner. "Why am I in trouble," she whined. "Frederick hit me first! And! And he messed up my stuffed animals! Come on, daddy, I'll show you!"

"Mirette, please do not apologize. I don't see a reason to. You've been through a lot. Your a victim in this. Don't blame yourself for anything, if that is the reason you are so upset. If I know you, you did your best and everyone knows that." Jay offered a smile and returned his hand to his own lap. He looked into her eyes again parted some hairs on her face.

Carter looked at his wife. "How is Mirette? I'm sorry I stormed off. Believe it or not, I have a lot going on. Do you need something honey?" He reached for his cell phone, and started to text Sera. Play Adam's broadcast and the gun salute for the rest of the day. You can leave the Comm if you wish. Take the day off. If they need you, or I do, I will surely let you know. Take it easy. Spend the day with your husband and kids.

Adam looked back at his children. "No, Marnee, just apologize to Frederick. In fact, apologize to each other or there will be trouble." His voice got stern, something that was rare for himself. He put his head in his hands and took a deep breathe. It was then that he texted Weston. Tomorrow is still on. I have news that could help you. It could help all of us. ​He never replied to his wife.

Mirette swallowed hard, not responding. She looked down into her lap, her red hair falling like a curtain into her face. She looked up, catching Jay's eyes in her own, and did not shrink away when he pushed her hair neatly out of her face. Mirette blinked, glancing to the other side. Her eyes were drawn to a picture on her desk, from right before the girls' thirteenth birthday. They all looked so happy...Mirette couldn't remember smiling like that--really smiling--in a long time. She stood, moving to pick it up and bring it back to the bed. "Look at this," she commented.

Elodie shook her head, sighing. She pushed off from the door, and slowly approached her husband, sitting on his desk and facing him. "I don't think she's well, Carter." She shook her head. "I know you're busy, I wish this weren't all going on at once. But. She isn't eating, and I don't know what to do. Carter, what are we going to do?"

Marnee pouted again, and turned to her brother. "I'm sorry, Frederick," she said, begrudgingly, and then waited for him to do the same.

Sera kept looking at her text thread with Adam, to see if he responded without her feeling the vibration. He didn't. She sighed, placing her phone down, before picking it up abruptly as it buzzed once more. But it was the president, not her husband. Thank you, sir. Give Elodie my wishes, please. She rose from the chair, packing her bag and making the necessary arrangements for the looped broadcast. At least now she could get home and have a talk with her husband over whatever was going on. She drove home as quickly as she could, setting her shoes and her bag by the door neatly once inside. The house seemed abnormally quiet , and she walked deeper inside. She started to hear sounds of her children quipping the closer she got to their play room, and could not help but smile, small. Sera pushed their door open, and Marnee turned, running over to her in surprise and burrowing into her knees. "Mommy! Hi, mommy! Did you have a better day today?" Sera laughed, and leaned down to pull her daughter into a tighter hug. "Yes, dear, I did." She hugged Frederick next, and then stood, looking down at her children. "Do you know where daddy is?" "He's at his desk," Marnee replied. "Mommy, can I have a snack?" Sera nodded. "Of course, honey. Just let me talk to daddy for a few minutes, and then I'll make you both a snack, all right?" She turned, leaving for Adam's study.

Weston's phone sounded again in his pocket, and he took it out, reading. I'll see you tomorrow, sir. He peered out--Anne was still outside, but she seemed to be having a personal moment. He didn't want to bother her.

Sera opened the door, slipping inside before closing it. She sighed, crossing her arms and knit a brow, moving closer to Adam. "What's wrong," she asked, at his demeanor. "Does it have to do with the meeting?"

Jay studied the picture for a moment, then turned back to Mirette smiling. "You've always had the best smile." He then made a weird face like he had discovered something. "You remember when we were kids playing in that old park. We were playing hide and seek and I was finding everyone? I remember when I found you, you were transfixed on this purple stone. I remember I took it from you. I regretted it everyday, and always forgot to give it back. Well," Jay reached into his pocket. "I held onto it. It made me happy because since it's been so long, it reminded me of you. Here," He pulled out that purple stone and placed it in her small palm. "I'm sorry I ever took it from you."

Carter sighed. "I don't know. She is a smart girl, she should know she is hurting her body. The only thing I can think of is to keep bringing her food. She will learn soon enough, she has to." He looked down for a moment. "Come here." He said, now staring into her eyes.

Adam kept his stare on his desk. "Am I a bad person, Sera? I was thinking back to yesterday. Maybe I am ruining everything. I-I just want what's right for us." He balled his hands into fists. "Carter wants me to help mediate a meeting some time in the future. He spat out some things about the European Union but I am sure that is not the reason he wants me close. I think I really did fuck up."

Mirette watched Jay curiously after the compliment. She thought as he recounted the story of that rock, and then remembered. She couldn't help but laugh when he took it out. She grinned, tilting her head to the side, and closed her palm around it when he gave it back to her. "That was so long ago," she mused, before looking back at him. "You've kept it this long?"

Elodie knit a brow, shaking her head. "I don't know, Carter. I don't think that just letting this go is a good idea. Whenever I bring her food, whenever I try to talk to her about it, she comes up with some lie about how she isn't hungry, or how she already ate... I thought we were going to talk to her about it earlier. Do you really think that just letting it go is smart?" She eyed him, but slid down from the desk and moved closer, holding his green eyes with her own hazel pair.

Sera advanced faster as her husband spoke, wrapping her arms around his neck and cradling her head atop his own. "No, stop. Adam, you are an amazing person. I don't know where--" As he elaborated on the meeting, Sera's own expression turned grim. "The president wants you to mediate a meeting with Prime Minister Lintin," she asked. That was very, very odd. She wouldn't put it past Carter for that to be a coverup. For one thing, she'd heard nothing about expanding relations with the EU. For another, Carter fucking hated them. Feared them. "I'm sure you didn't," she whispered, trying to console him. "I don't think the president saw the footage from the briefing. If he did, he didn't say anything to me." Sera wouldn't be the one to point out that him not telling her--alone--would be bad.

"Ya," Jay said laughing slightly. "I...I really missed you Mirette. I never understood why we stopped seeing each other." He offered a meek smile. "I-..." He stared into her eyes a moment. "Oh nothing...keep the rock. I hope you feel better." He looked away, consumed by a certain emotion.

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her close. "I know you think I am a bad parent. I will ask you once to hear my opinion as I do yours. I am a really bust man...I don't know if you knew that honey. I will talk to her...we will talk to her ok? For now, let me figure things out. Get her out of her room. Jay is here. Get them out in the garden or the courtyard. We will prepare a meal on their return. Please....just let me be for now."

"Yes he did." Adam said turning to her now. "I am sorry for how I've acted. I will promise to keep to myself." Adam felt horrible about keeping the rebellion to himself. If he were to be found in association it would ruin his family. He stood up and kissed her lips gently. "I'll order a pizza. For all of us." He put on a face and walked to the door yelling for his kids. "You guys want pizza?" The sounds of Frederick and Marnee came closer to him.