2075: Reclaiming North America

Adam was filing through some papers when he knocked his phone to the floor. As he reached for it, he noticed the little light signifying a text was going off. He opened the message and his expression became severe. Something is up. Do not stress yourself dear. I love you. Adam sent the text just before the broadcast went on air again. After his show was over, he hastily made his way to his office, collected his things and without saying much, got to his car, driving home quickly.

"I am tired, actually. I didn't sleep much. Would...would you cuddle with me?" Anne blushed lightly and smiled.

Carter ran into a frantic James on his way out of the kitchen. "James? Why are you so heavy on breathe? What's the problem?" Carter's face was much more serious now, for he knew James wasn't usually like this.

(I didn't know if you were going to make James tell him the truth, so that's why I didn't put a reaction, yet.)

Sera received the text back and dropped her phone to the desk, holding her head in her hands. She sighed, picking the phone back up before replying. Don't stress myself. Yeah right. Can you get the kids? I have no idea when I'm getting out of here tonight. Sera watched the rest of the broadcasts end, and turned the televisions off, relieved. She sent James another text. Where do you need me? After a minute, a message came back. Remains to be seen. This might be finished until tomorrow. Sera sighed heavily, waiting to hear more.

Weston looked at Anne, startled at her suggestion. "Sure," he replied, laying down on the wood, one arm wrapped around her, although he was cautious to not pull her too tightly to him. That should be up to her, how close they were.

James and Carter all but ran into each other as they turned the corner outside of the kitchen. "Sir," James exclaimed, his own temperament actually emotional for once, the only signal that something, perhaps, was wrong. "Alano Aguilar just called. Estrella. She committed suicide."

((Sew. Two things. First, Estrella and Mirette are good friends. I imagine that Alano and Carter are relatively close, due to their proximity. Alano's less dictatorial than Carter. They actually have elections in South America, and they're fair. But no term limits, and Alano's constantly reelected. No banning of books, and no controlling of reporters, beyond strongly urging them to let go of stories that might reflect really negatively. So. Yeah, I imagine they have a good relationship, Carter and Alano. I can tell you that Alano considers a friendship, but Carter's opinion is up to you, whether he thinks of it as a friendship, or just a political alliance.

Second, Adam. Does he want more kids? Or is he worried about them being indoctrinated? Maybe Frederick was planned, and Marnee wasn't *shifty eyes*?))

Adam headed off the the day care, after receiving the text. Once he saw his two little ones, his mind wandered from the pressing matter that occurred. "Hey you two! How was your day." Both Marnee and Frederick started rambling on, trying to overpower each other for their father's attention. He laughed and walked them to the car. Once he had them buckled in and had gotten into the car himself, he turned back and looked at them. "Mommy's had a lot to do today. Can you two promise to be good tonight. Maybe you can make her a picture? Frederick smiled happily. "Yeah! I wanna draw a picture of a dragon for mommy!" Adam laughed, "Ok sport! How about you Marnee? What will you draw mommy?" By this time they were on their way home.

"Suicide? What? That's outrageous! Come with me to my office. I will have to call Alano, poor Estrella." Carter had taken a strong bond with Alano. After all, it would be better if the Western Hemisphere liked each other. Carter was careful of who to let be his friend, but Alano and Carter had gone way back, so he had no problem trusting him. They made their way to his office and closed the door. James had told him about Sera and not reporting it until the next day. "Good, I will only broadcast it if Alano feels it should be." Carter then picked up his house phone, dialing the special number to reach the President directly.

(They can be good friends. Also, I'm not sure. He loves his kids, and making Marnee a "surprise" sounds good. Nonetheless he loves them though. I think that Adam wants to hold off on more kids until he can believe they will grow up free willed. He tries already to keep Marnee and Frederick growing up with good morals and a nice ideology. You know what I mean.)

((I know exactly what you mean. Also. I feel nothing. Sorry not sorry =D.))

Marnee looked up from her stuffed animal, pushing her hair out of her eyes. "I wanna draw mommy a flower," she exclaimed, excited. She pulled at the straps of her carseat, and then looked to her brother. "Daddy? How are babies born? You and mommy said that you would tell me when I got big. And now I'm five. And Frederick won't tell me."

James followed closely behind Carter as they went for his office. The bullshit of the day had certainly been unexpected. And now this. What the fuck was even happening? Once they were inside, James closed the door behind them, taking a seat in front of Carter's desk. He watched Carter dial at the phone, sitting at attention, although he would only be able to hear one side of the conversation.

Alano Aguilar heard the phone ring and looked up, loosening his grip on his wife, who had spent all of her tears and now stared forward lifelessly. Alano's own reaction times were much slower and more stoic than normal as he picked up the phone, holding the receiver to his ear. "Carter," he acknowledged, his voice broken.

(I'm assuming Alano was beating his wife? :P)

Adam laughed loudly. "Marnee, honey, ask mommy when she gets home, she knows it better than I do." They had pulled into the drive way and soon enough they were in their house. Adam was relieved to be home, and wanted his wife back here more than the kids did, who were running to get paper and crayons. They argued on whose picture would be better and Adam smiled as he started up on a meal. The two would alternate between who cooked on different nights. It was Adam's night and he was going to make pasta. He sent his wife a text as he made it. Kids want mommy, and I want mommy too :) Adam was a easy going man who would act like a child occasionally, even thought he was very intelligent.

"Alano, I want to start off saying I am deeply sorry. My country will have your full support. If you wish, I can bring the news to my people and we can start a project for her, or something along those lines. Are you sure it's suicide?" After what happened to Anne today, Carter couldn't be too sure on what the truth would be. He mouthed the words, "Don't tell Mirette​" at one point to James, while Alano was speaking.

((Definitely not. Alano is not abusive. He just sleeps around when he gets stressed.))

Marnee protested. "But daddyyyy. You said that when I turned four, and then you and mommy still didn't answer..." The little girl quickly realized that her dad wasn't going to answer, and she tried something else. "Daddy? Can I have a baby sister?" She waited for her dad's response. When they arrived at the house, Marnee unbuckled her own carseat and jumped down and out of the car, running into the house and kicking her shoes off in the middle of the hallway. She changed into a nightgown, and then ran into the playroom, grabbing paper and crayons to color for her mother. She tiptoed into the kitchen where Adam was cooking, and stuck her head around the wall. "Daddy? Can I color in here with you?"

Sera received Adam's text and quickly responded. I'll know very soon. ​She waited to hear from James.

Alano closed his eyes, squeezing Alicia's arm. He waited a moment before responding. Everything was at a lag. "Thank you, Carter," he murmured. He hesitated, swallowing hard at the question. "One minute, Carter," he said, before putting the call on hold. He kissed Alicia's cheek, whispering in her ear. "I'll be right back." He didn't want to talk about this any more in front of her. He would rather leave her along for a moment than talk about this in front of her. Alano stepped around the guards filtering in and out of Estrella's room, and all throughout the house. So much more than normal. He went into his office and picked up the phone again. "It was pills," he choked out.

(Oh, the "loosening grip" threw me off)

"Of course Marnee, just be careful sweetie, it's hot in here. Just sit on the floor by daddy's feet. Frederick! Where are you buddy?" Adam called out into the house, he heard his little footsteps as they approached and soon the two were on the floor coloring and drawing. Adam felt comforted that they were close. He didn't answer his daughter when she asked him about a sister. Honestly Adam wasn't sure about another child. Sera and Adam never had the time to talk about it, but Adam had his opinions. Adam knew that his kids wouldn't be taught what they needed to be, not always. There would always be hidden things. For now, he loved his daughter and son.

"My....I am deeply sorry for you my friend. I will let my people know and our prayers will be with you. Do not over work yourself the next few days." The two men talked for the next few minutes before hanging up. "Alright, we will report it all tomorrow on most stations. Tell Sera to inform the press. We will have a day of mourning tomorrow.

(sorry this was short, i am bust at the moment, should be free soon.)

((No worries!))

Marnee listened to her father, sitting cross legged in the corner and getting to work on her flower. She peered over at Frederick. "Mine is better," she taunted, sticking her tongue out at her brother and holding her picture up to show him. She put it on the floor again, picking up a different crayon and writing with jagged letters. I'm sorry you had a sad day, mommy, she wrote at the top. I love you <3 <3 <3. Marnee. She looked up at her father every few seconds. "Daddy, are you okay," she asked. "You seem sad."

James took the hint as Carter ended the call. He took out his phone again, texting Sera. You can head home. We're announcing this tomorrow. It'll be a day of mourning. Sera responded after a moment. See you tomorrow. James looked down as his phone beeped. Come in early. Sera rolled her eyes. Always. She closed her office down, sending home the few loyal interns who were still in. And then she drove home, exhausted, and so totally done.

James looked up as the phone call ended, looking at his friend. "Unbelievable," he muttered.

After what seemed like hours of driving, Sera arrived home, and parked the car, ready to just sit down and breathe. She unlocked the front door, closing and locking it behind her. Still facing the door, Sera rubbed at her temple, stepping out of her pumps and lining them up on the rug. She sighed, calling out, her voice weak. "I'm home!"

Carter sighed and put the phone down. "James, you can go home. No one will work into the night. Have a nice night." Carter rose and left the room, attempting to find his wife to tell her even more bad news. It was a horrible day for everyone.

Frederick and Marnee were quick to rush at their mother, screaming over each other and waving their pictures around. Frederick made it first, wrapping his arms around his mother. "Mommy! Mommy! I made you a picture! It's a dragon. He is fighting your bad day!" The concept was cute, though impossible. Adam laughed when he heard his son, and by now the pasta had been made, and Adam was prepping the dining room table for his family. Once the pasta was placed at the center of the able, Adam made his way to his wife, who was now in the kitchen with her kids. "I'm glad your home dear." Adam said, coming up and kissing her on the lips, then put an arm around her as she looked at the pictures. Adam leaned in and whispered, "It was my idea." He then winked and smiled once more

James nodded. "All right, sir. I'll get Jay, and we'll head out." He rose, sighing. "Mirette's going to find out, if this is all over the news tomorrow," he pointed out to his friend.

When the door opened and her mother called from the front of the house, Marnee dropped her crayons. "Mommy!" She exclaimed, pulling her sheet up and leaving the crayons on the floor as she ran to her mother. She huffed when Frederick got there first. His legs were bigger, it's not fair. "Hi, mommy! I'm sorry you had a bad day! I made you a flower," Marnee told her, excited, and holding up the sheet for her mother to look. Sera couldn't help but grin as her children hugged her legs, and leaned down, kissing Frederick on the cheek and ruffling his hair before picking Marnee up. "Thank you two," she told them softly, looking over both pictures with the free hand. Marnee wrapped her arms around her mother. "Mommy! Don't I get a kiss too?" Sera laughed, and gave her daughter a quick peck on the lips., before snuggling her head in the little girl's hair. She moved Marnee down to the ground as Adam approached, embracing her tightly before kissing her on the lips. "Ewww," Marnee called. "Mommy! Daddy! That's gross!" Sera lay her head on Adam's shoulder, looking down at her daughter. "Why don't you two go wash your hands for dinner?" Marnee quickly obeyed. Sera turned back to Adam, sighing heavily. "Thank you," she responded.

Carter saw James once more before he left and called out, "James, perhaps Mirette will need old friend in times like these. Have Jay come over tomorrow if he so wishes. I know Mirette misses her old friend. It might help cheer her up some." Carter then nodded as James closed the front door. Once Carter had found Elodie he sat her down on their main couch. "I know your are stressed right now, but I have some more bad news. Estrella overdosed on pills and died. They are confirming it was suicide. She was so close to Mirette, and I don't know how to bare the news to her. I need your help once more. I wanted not to tell her, but it's going national tomorrow. I feel like she needs to know now. I just can't believe all this has happened." For once, in a long while, Carter not only missed Anne, but wanted her in his arms.

"You deserve some rest, honey. I made pasta. We can wait until the kids are asleep before talking about...well about damn near everything in the world." He led his wife to the dinner table and went to check on Marnee and Frederick in the bathroom. Of course they had started a water fight which Adam quickly broke up. "Off now, to the table. Don't think mommy won't hear about this. Why can't you two just get along?" Adam wasn't mad, and his voice was more playful than anything. He returned to the table after wiping the floor dry.

(I have an idea, if you don't like it, say so. I was thinking perhaps Carter could start switching he feelings for his daughters around. Like the time without Anne could make him appreciate her more. Then once he finds the book Mirette has, it only fuels his anger and helps Anne's case. Also Mirette will obviously be going through mental changes from being raped twice before he finds the book and Carter could start disliking her attitude even though he had no idea why she is acting that way. Just an idea.)

If there was anything James didn't want around this time, it was Jay around Mirette. But he couldn't say no without setting off any alarms. "Yes, sir," he replied, fetching his son. He didn't think Jay had left from sitting outside of Jay's door all day. He would have to figure something out, if Jay were around more often. Once he had Jay, the pair left, James driving home, and figuring out the next steps. This week was going to be hell.

Elodie sat in their bedroom, simply staring at the wall, and trying to make sense of her daughter's running away. Regardless of what Carter had said in the room with their daughter, Elodie blamed herself. She couldn't stop blaming herself. And she couldn't think straight. The door opened, and Carter came in. And Elodie could tell that something was wrong. She looked at her husband fleetingly, fearing the worst. And it came when Carter sat beside her. Elodie covered her mouth, shocked. "Carter...I don't know if Mirette can handle this right now. Her sister, and her best friend, in one day? And, Carter, I don't think she's been eating." Elodie didn't know what to do. She knew her husband was right. Mirette should learn this from her parents, not from Adam Dupont on the nightly news. But she, like her husband, did not know how to tell their daughter.

Sera stayed in her husband's arms, nodding gently as he spoke. Sera knew that Adam was right, she just couldn't take a breath. The day was so overwhelming, and her mind couldn't stop soaring through everything that tomorrow would bring. She allowed her husband to lead her by the hand to the dinner table, and took a seat, drawing water from the glass and then pouring more for herself from the pitcher. She heard yelling from the bathroom, and moved to take care of it before Adam beat her to it. She stayed in place, grateful. Sera placed a hand to her head, a sharp pain forming at her temple as the rest of her family joined her, and they set down to eat. "Mommy," Marnee asked after a few minutes. "Can you tell me how babies are born now? I'm five, I'm a big girl. And daddy said to ask you."

((I think it's a cool idea! We can find a way to work with it. Just remember that Carter turned on Anne because he thought she was lying about James' advances. He might need a reason to suddenly reverse from that! For Mirette. Hm. I'm sure we can figure something out that works. Maybe when she and Jay start dating, or something. Because, remember, he doesn't find the book until she's in the hospital.))

Carter laid back in the bed. "We can wait until tomorrow." He put his hand over his face a moment, sighing heavily. "I love you, Elodie. I just want you to know that. Through all that has happened, I love you." He leaned to her and kissed her in the lips with passion.

Adam couldn't help but laugh at his children this night. "Marnee that isn't appropriate dinner talk. Please, eat your food dear." He smiled and ruffled with her hair, which annoyed her and made him smile even more. The family sat and ate and when the time came to get the kids to sleep, Adam stayed to clean while Sera took them upstairs. When he had finished, he made his way upstairs. The kids were in their beds, Sera sitting at Mernee's bedside. Adam headed to Frederick and kissed her forehead. "Sleep well sport." He then made his way to Marnee. "I checked the room, no monsters. Good night sweetie." He kissed her on the forehead and smiled at his wife before departing to their room. Adam, doing as he often did, stripped to his boxers and slipped into their bed. He sat up, pulling his laptop to his lap, and began searching the web.

(Right, I think her and Jay dating would be a good leeway. And I know that he finds the book after. Maybe Carter relates Mirette's suicide attempt back to Estrella and believes she just wanted attention, because maybe he believes she faked it, purposely hurting herself just to get the attention. I don't know :P

((Works for me! Let's play it by ear.))

We can wait until tomorrow. Elodie nodded, leaning backwards and resting her head along her husband's chest. She squeezed her eyes shut. Through all that hass happened. He hardly ever talked about beating her. He had hardly spoken about that since the early years of their marriage. And he certainly hadn't apologized in years. She nodded along his chest. "I know," she replied. "I love you too, Carter." She kissed him back, just wanting to lose herself in his embrace. Elodie closed her eyes again. "I don't think I can tonight," she told him, hoping he understood her. Hoping he didn't make her anyway.

Marnee gave her father a face as he silenced her questions. "Daddyyyy! YOU'RE the one who said to ask mommy later. In the car, remember? Before I asked you for a baby sister? Mommy! Mommy, can I have a baby sister?" Sera winced, more out of discomfort from the constant awkward questions from her daughter, before laughing. "Daddy and I will talk, all right," she managed. They finished eating, and Sera moved to take plates to the sink, but, again, Adam took care of it. She picked Marnee up again, taking Frederick's hand. "Time for bed!" "Mommy," Marnee whined into her ear. "Will you read me a bedtime story?" Sera smiled. "Yes," she responded, leading to two to their bedrooms. Frederick was easier to get to bed, and then mother and daughter retreated on their own, and Sera read to Marnee as requested. The little girl fell asleep in the middle, and Sera kissed her forehead before tucking the girl in. Once her husband kissed Marnee good night, Sera rose, following Adam back to their own room. Once the door was closed, she released a long and heavy sigh--clearly, all of the stress from the day and night. She slipped out of her suit, placing everything into the hamper, and grabbed one of Adam's t-shirts, joining him on the bed. Sera plopped down, wishing the pillow would just consume her. She dreaded the discussion she knew they had to have.

Carter gave a honest smile. "I do not want anything but you by my side." These type of feelings came out rarely in Carter. He sunk into the bed and faced his wife. "Just be my loving wife tonight, that's all I ask." He offered her another smile, wanting to hold her close.

Adam placed the laptop on the nightstand. "Listen, if you don't want to talk about it tonight, it's fine. We can get some rest. I imagine you have to work early tomorrow. I won't keep you up. How about tomorrow after work, since I imagine they will loop my broadcast all day, we go out for lunch and discuss this?" He leaned in and kissed his wife. "I don't want you any more stressed out Sera." Adam then moved her so her back was facing him and starting rubbing her shoulders, as he often did for her. He kissed neck sweetly. "Just breathe as relax dear.

Elodie was relieved that Carter didn't want sex that night. She released a lot her tension, pushing herself closer to Carter. Fitting into the bends his own body created, until they were flat against each other, complimenting each other. "I can't stop thinking about her. I'm so terrified, Carter. She needs me, and I'm not there. What if something happens to her?"

Sera heard her husband and nodded as he spoke, before sighing, shaking her head. "I have no idea what tomorrow's going to be like, Adam. I can't guarantee that lunch will be a thing that I'm able to do." She swallowed. "Besides, this isn't a talk we should have out in public." She suddenly remembered that she hadn't searched the room for bugs yet that night. She sighed, slipping out of the bed, and getting to it. After a few minutes, she returned to the bed. Nothing that night. Nothing she'd found. She hung her head as Adam massaged her shoulders. "You really can't report on that letter," she told him, not for the first time today, her tone serious. She knew what he'd said, but this was an important talk. "I mean it, you can't."

"I know, I know dear. I worry about her too. We can hope that she will be fine. She is a strong girl, I have hope for her." Carter kissed his wife once more before closing his eyes, wrapping an arm over her.

Adam sighed, finishing her massage. "I won't Sera. You won't have to worry about it, ok?" He laid down on the bed and faced his wife. "I will report what I am told. If you want to talk about everything now, then let's. If not, then we will try tomorrow whenever we can." Adam sighed once more, showing stress in his released breath. "Things will be fine. Whether you believe me or not is up to you, dear." He closed his eyes.

Elodie listened to her husband, but she could not bring herself to see things his way. She stayed in his arms, flipping over and staring at the ceiling, before turning her head to him. "Should I check to see if Mirette ate her salad," she asked, worried about her daughter's seemingly altered eating habits. She didn't know how to combat this. There wasn't a parenting manual that addressed this issue. "I don't think she's been eating," she repeated.

Sera's mouth opened slightly as Adam seemingly went off on her. She could tell that he was stressed out too, and she couldn't blame him. But that didn't make it hurt any less. He closed his eyes, and she shifted in the bed, leaning down to give him a peck on the lips. "I'm sorry," she whispered, some hurt evident in her tone. They were both under so much strain. That much was obvious.

"She hasn't. I think that'd be a good idea. I'll be here dear." He smiled as she got up from bed. He had no clue what was wrong with Mirette, and didn't really want to know, thought it was his job to.

Adam opened his eyes. "I'm sorry Sera. I just don't like that your job is consuming your life. I want you to relax. I know your job requires so much of you. But your kids miss you. Baby I miss you." Adam's voice was shaky, his expression sorrowful. "It's great to see you so active in the world, but family is important to me. You are a part of my family. You are my wife, the woman I dedicated my life to and have never regretted it. I just want you to be happy. I don't want you coming home stressed and check the rooms for bugs. That's not a happy life to me. Sera I just want you to be happy." He cupped her cheek in his hand. "I love you."

Elodie nodded, pushing herself off from the bed after kissing Carter's cheek. How could they have missed the fact that Mirette was not eating for so long? Well. Elodie did not know how long, but this certainly hadn't started today. She moved down the hall to Mirette's room, knocking gently. "Mirette," she called from outside, before opening the door and slipping inside. Mirette was not asleep, but she pretended that she was. Elodie closed the door behind her. "Sweetheart, I'm your mom, I know when you're faking." She sighed when the girl still did not move. Elodie took the untouched bowl of salad on Mirette's desk and turned the desk light on. She pulled her chair up to Mirette's bed, and shook the girl gently, but until Mirette could not pretend she was asleep. "Come on. I'm feeding you. No matter what you say," she said, sticking her tongue out teasingly at her daughter. Mirette sat up, rubbing at her eyes. "Mom, I'm not hungry." Elodie shook her head, preparing a forkful. "Open up. Now," she said, her tone slightly more serious. After a moment, Mirette obliged, and Elodie fed her, placing the plate down once Mirette had finished. She pulled her daughter into a hug. "Now you can go to bed. I love you." "I love you too, mommy." Elodie smiled, standing and grabbing the plate, dropping it in the kitchen before heading back to her own room. "That's taken care of for now," she informed Carter. "But are we going to have to sit there while she eats, every day?"

This time, Sera squeezed her eyes shut, laying down on the bed. She listened to her husband, sighing once he finished. "We would have to search for bugs even if I didn't run communications for Torren," she commented, unsure how he didn't realize this. Adam was the one who always slipped and commented that the NAU was a dictatorship. How could he think the administration wasn't keeping tabs on the intelligent? Reporters, certainly. Anyone who was a potential threat. Sera knew that they were. "We spoke about this earlier," she whispered. "It's too late for any of this to change." She bit her lip, feeling some more tears form. "I'm doing my best," she coughed out.