2075: Reclaiming North America

Mirette sensed some tension as Jay spoke about his father. Her brow knit, but she didn't ask anything of it. "No, not really," she replied, grinning at his joke. "My father doesn't pay very much attention to me during the day. I'm always just alone, or doing things with Anne when. Um. When she's not in trouble." Mirette placed a hand to her forehead. She hadn't slept nor eaten very much in a few days, and, now, she felt a headache coming. Mirette slunk down onto the bed, pulling the sheets up to her chin, and turned her head to look at Jay. She hoped he didn't think she was being rude, her head just really hurt. She smiled lightly. "Sorry."

James shrugged. "Sera's good at what she does, sir. The press corps responds well to her. She's perceptive, sure, but that's why we don't tell her everything. And she's fucking twenty-nine. She's far too afraid of us to go rogue. With young children? I hardly think she's a risk." He nodded, finishing the last of his meal. "Yes, sir, of course. I'll be right there with her, to make sure that everything goes smoothly."

Weston caught Anne's abrupt pause and raised a brow. He moved on as she changed the subject, thinking about her question for a moment. "I'm sure we'll be able to figure something out. I don't know what yet, but..." They could always ask Adam, when he came out that weekend, for help. He tilted his head to the side, hoping he wouldn't be pushing too far. "So, what's your story? My parents were taken when I was very young. I've been on my own since I was thirteen years old," he shared, hoping that would make her more comfortable.

Jay noticed that he was probably just egging on a dying conversation. "I do not want to keep you from sleep. It's such a rarity these days. I'm glad we could talk for this short while. Hopefully I will see you again soon. Goodbye Mirette." Jay smiled and got up, heading for the door.

Carter and James waited on Elodie. He could her a guard walking with her. "We will make this quick. I have little time to discuss the reforms now. Perhaps we can meet up somewhere tomorrow to finalize anything not covered." It was then that Elodie was allowed into the room. Carter pierced through her with his stare. "Please take a seat my dear, we need to discuss a new project that involves you. Please do well to listen. I do not want to repeat myself, and I am sure James here does not want to either."

Anne looked off, scared to reveal her family. "M-my family...they...I..." Anne began to tear but tried her best to hold it in. "My mother and father do not get along. It's my father who ruined everything. I couldn't take my life there anymore. I ran away. It wasn't fair how I was treated. My father...he is a evil man. I left my mother and sister without letting them know. I hate myself every second for doing it." Anne couldn't help but let a tear escape her eye. "I just want to be safe, to feel important to someone, anyone. I don't know what that feels like." She wiped the tear from her eye with the blanket. "Listen to me, rambling. I apologize Weston."

Mirette smiled weakly at him. "I'm sorry to be such a spoilsport. I. Um. I really don't know why I'm feeling so unwell." She hoped he didn't blame her. She had enjoyed the time that they had spent together, even if it had caught her off guard. "Jay...we should talk again. Like I said before, I've missed talking with you."

Elodie could not stop crying as she lay alone in her room. She had failed her daughter. And if she'd failed Anne so badly, who was to say if she had also failed Mirette? If she was failing the younger twin as she lay here wallowing in her own self-pity? But Elodie couldn't help it. Not only could she not stop thinking about Anne, but also she couldn't bring herself to face Mirette. How could she explain to Mirette that Anne had run away? Would Mirette ever forgive Elodie? Elodie knew that Mirette did her best to ignore what would have to be abundantly clear living in their household--Carter abused both Elodie and Anne. Elodie had always suspected that Mirette's own defense mechanisms allowed her to tune out the abuse, so as to avoid having to make a judgement call over whom to side with.

Mirette was just like Elodie, and Elodie had always been able to understand her with little more than a glance. Mirette's lack of expressed emotion, her obedience to her father...they'd always been characteristic of Mirette, ever since she was a small child. But would Mirette act the same way when Carter's abuse--or, rather, Elodie's lack of action in stopping Carter's abuse--had led to Anne's running away? These thoughts only led more tears and quiet cries on part of Elodie.

"Ma'am," came a call from outside of her bedroom door. Elodie did not even want to respond. She just wanted to be with her family. She wanted Carter there, comforting her. Telling her that everything would be all right, and that they would find Anne. She knew that wouldn't happen. Elodie forced herself to adjust her dress, rising from the bed and opening the door. She stuck her head out. "Yes, Erik?" If the guard noticed the new bruises on her chin and arm, he didn't say anything to that effect. "Ma'am, the president has asked for you." She closed her eyes, breathing deeply, before opening them and nodding at the guard. He led her along, and Elodie felt her torment growing as they grew closer and closer to Carter's office. She knew that her fear showed, but she didn't care. They arrived, and Elodie opened the door, walking inside slowly. She looked down, afraid to catch her husband's gaze, and dutifully approached the two men, waiting to hear what her husband wanted of her.

Weston watched Anne as she fought with herself, first with the decision of whether or not to accept the water, and second with opening herself up. And then something changed in her demeanor. Weston saw it. She would talk to him.

Weston listened intently as Anne described her troubled home life, frowning heavily when she implied that she'd been abused. He began to feel anger boil up inside him, and he knew that some of that showed on his face--he'd never been great at hiding his emotions--but he did his best to keep it inside and continue to listen to the girl. He shook his head strongly, but when he spoke, his voice was largely broken due to his sorrow for what she'd been though.

"Don't apologize for a minute. I'm not offended at all, and I don't think you're whining. In fact, I think you sound very strong, to have...I am so sorry that you had to deal with all of that. I don't...I'm sorry, I'm really not even sure what to say. I don't want you to think I'm trying to pretend I know what you've been though, because I don't. I don't think I ever could. And I don't think that anything I say to you could make it better. I mean...I'm an only child, and like I said before, my parents were...um...taken away when I was very young. I don't know if they're still alive," he confessed. "My family was always very active in politics--I'm actually descended from a Prime Minister--so we've always felt like we had a certain immunity to discuss the way things should be in Canada. My parents kept that up."

He winced. "I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to compare our situations. I don't think they're comparable... I'm glad you felt comfortable confiding in me, even thought we've just met."

Jay offered her a warming smile before leaving, he closed the door and headed down stairs, hoping his father had not come looking for him. He figured not, and made his way outside once more, sitting on the stairs and once again being consumed in boredom.

Once Elodie was seated, Carter began. "We are starting a new reform in our educational system in the near future. This will include a total revamp of what our children our learning in schools, and the building of new schools throughout North America. We have had very tense times with our friends across the sea, and if we can get a jump on them with education, I say let's do it. Elodie, my dear wife, you are smarter than most people, even myself. For that, you will head the operation, under advisement of course, and make sure what is to be taught will be. I am a very busy man, you know this, so I can not do this myself. That is why I trust you will all my heart to pull through. It will be tough work but I know you can handle it. For now, we will discuss were to plot buildings. From there, we will correct our lesson plans and strength the grip on our children's schooling. I hope you will accept your new position with honor. I want yourself and James to start working on where to begin construction. Elodie you know where we are weak in the nation, so your ideas will go a long way, this I am sure." Carter rose and headed for the door. Please have a copy of the blueprints ready for me by tomorrow. I am off to the rally, and shall not be home until late night. James you know where to go after you are finished here. Have a good day, both of you." With that, Carter exited the office and made his way to the presidential vehicle.

Anne felt better after his words, she knew what he was trying to say. "Thank you Weston, for your words, they mean a lot." Anne spoke with a warm and honest smile. She then stood up and walked over to him, nestling into his side. "I hope you don't mind me sitting here. We can become warmer together." Anne couldn't help but blush. She had never really been this close to a guy that wasn't part of her family. The closest thing to ever contacting a boy was back when she was fifteen, she made out with a boy while out in a meeting with her father. Anne felt safe against his body. She had just met the man and already she knew he would be a good friend. She closed her eyes for a second, hoping for a better future.

Mirette layed down as Jay left and closed the door behind him. She felt more settled than when his father had been there. More at ease. She didn't totally understand it, but it helped her to quickly fall asleep when she lay her head down upon the pillow.

Elodie listened closely as Carter detailed her new assignment, her heat beating harder in her chest. She had been with Carter for twenty years. She knew her husband well enough to know what he said between the lines. This was not about education, it was about brainwash. Normally, Elodie would have welcomed any opportunity to do something. And certainly to teach. Elodie had wanted to lead a classroom since she was in middle school. But this. This was something different. When Carter mentioned the success of the European Union, Elodie had to keep herself from wincing. The EU had long before adopted the Finnish system. There was no way that they could compete with that. Especially because that wasn't what they were doing. The EU taught. The EU recognized an inherent value to education that stretched beyond jingoism and the job market. Carter clearly did not. For Carter, this was about power and control.

All of this, plus Anne, was too overwhelming for Elodie. But she couldn't say no.

Carter stood to leave. Elodie rose herself, calling out after him. "Carter! I love you." She paused. "Carter, what about Anne," her tone begged. "Are we going to find her? Carter, what if she comes back? W-what if she needs me, a-and I'm not here?" Elodie felt herself starting to cry. She needed someone to console her. She prayed Carter would pause and be her husband.

Juliet Deneuve approached from the hallway, sticking her head inside of Adam Dupont's office door and knocking on the doorframe. When he finally acknowledged her, the intern spoke up. "Sir," she started, still using the honorific out of respect or perhaps because she was starstruck. "I. Um. I'm sorry, I know you're preparing for tonight's broadcast. I got a lead last night from a friend of my mom's? Or, I don't know if it's really a lead, or what it is," she rambled. "I guess she knew the president and Elodie Torren in college? I have a transcript, she's kind of just musing. I don't know if you can use it or anything, but." She handed him the sheet. "I haven't called the Presidential Mansion or anything, I didn't know what you wanted to do."

'I lived down the hall from Elodie Torren and Aimee. Freshman year at Yale. Elodie was. Well. There's a lot to say about her. She was wonderful, the sweetest girl. Gorgeous. Brilliant. And humble. Everyone talked about her, which I suppose was odd--she was young, seventeen when we started. Elodie was the type of girl who you looked at when she came into a room. She just drew your attention, everyone, upperclassmen, professors, and administrators alike. I mean, she didn't demand attention, if just sort of. I don't know. And then Matt, he didn't live on our floor, but he was always around. They were always together. I think Elodie offhandedly mentioned that they'd done their schedules together or something. But Elodie and Matt were always together, it was obvious that they'd been friends for a long time. And then Elodie and Carter Torren started dating, and I don't think Carter liked Matt very much. There was a lot of two-sided animosity there, not that Matt started it. A few months into their relationship, Elodie started dressing differently. She'd always dressed very northern and chic--bright colors, fitted sweaters, skirts, and she always wore a scarf. I don't think her clothes were really about her anymore after that. Anyway, soon, she was hardly ever around the floor, we kind of lost contact outside of the few times I saw her on campus.'

Weston glanced up at her, grinning to match her own smile. "Of course. Everyone needs comfort once in a while. I am glad that I could help." He looked at her, surprised, as she approached, snuggling up to his side. "I--no, of course," he responded, cautiously wrapping an arm around her, and shifting so that her head was more comfortable on his shoulder. He didn't want to unsettle her.

Carter put a hand on the door before it closed. As ruthless as Carter was, with all that was going on, it took that one moment to stop his train of thoughts. He walked back in and up to his wife. "Elodie, we will find her." As much of a lie as that was, he wanted Anne back, deep in his heart. Carter pulled his wife into a tight hug and kissed her cheek. "Please do not think to hard on this. Tend to Mirette, work on the reforms, and when the time comes, you will have our girl back in your arms." Carter once again kissed her, this time on the lips. He then departed, now rethinking things in his head.

Adam took the paper into his hands and set it down on his desk. "Thank you Juliet." He put on his reading glasses and adjusted the letter in front of him. Most of it was just a background of some of the college years with Elodie and Aimee, who Adam knew well at one point. This Matt character brought Adam some discomfort. The name itself drew no images to his mind. The small story was eerie to him as not only did it mention the changing of Elodie, but Matt was not mentioned after the Carter was in the picture. "Juliet, who is your mom's friend, do you know her name?" Adam read over the lead a few more times. Adam had a hard time with Carter already, this just brought a whole new level of suspicion.

Anne smiled when Weston adjusted himself to suit her. "You're a very kind man, Weston. I can not thank you enough. I am also very sorry about your parents. Being alone for this long...it just...." Anne would never wish her parents away. As much as she loathed Carter, he had raised her and it wasn't a rough childhood always. The abuse started later and she never knew why.

Elodie kept her body close to her husband's, taking the hand not wrapped around her waist and holding it tightly.

"Carter, I...I can't stop blaming myself for this," she whispered.

Carter, she wanted to say. I...I know that we're going to get her back. But I'm terrified that nothing's going to change once she's home. Something's obviously destroyed her, and I can't stop thinking that it's my fault, and something I did. And what if she's home, and she's in all of the torment again that made her r-run away to start with? W-what if she hates me?

James kept his gaze focused on the detailing of the floor.

Elodie felt tears begin to form in her eyes, and a pit form in her throat as she hugged her husband. She shook slightly, but did her best to blink the tears away. She whimpered slightly in heartbreak and fear for her daughter as Carter placed his lips to hers, and she returned the kiss, watching with dread as her husband finally left.

"Savannah Merrick, sir," Juliet responded, pulling the number up on her cell phone and holding it out for Adam to write down. She smiled, the praise boosting her up. "I'm glad I helped. Let me know if I can do anything else, with this story, or with anything." When Adam went back to work, she retreated out of his office, ready to help anyone who needed coffee or copies.

Sera drove to the building from where the communications operation of the Torren Administration operated, her mind working in overdrive, as it did nearly every day. But today was special. This announcement was important, and it would need to be handled properly. She parked her car, displaying her credentials as if they were needed and entering the building. She sent a quick text message to her husband. Today's briefing moved from normal time to 2 PM. Important. Love you.

After she sent it, Sera wondered if Adam was going to come himself. Sometimes he pulled that bullshit, and it came to Sera to remind him that he had lower level reporters for that. She knew her husband grew bored of being an anchor at times, despite how amazing he was at it. She decided that now wasn't the time to push. How are my children? She knew he had likely not seen them since he'd dropped them off at the childcare center the station kept running for employee's children, but she hadn't seen them in even longer.

Weston tilted his head to the side slightly. "Thank you, Anne. I really appreciate that you trust me. Especially after. Well." He paused, wondering if he should reference the abuse she had hinted at. He decided positively. "Especially after everything you've been through. You are very strong. I can't even imagine what it must take to trust a man--much less a strange man--after that." He nodded sadly. "That I understand. You mentioned a sister? Is your relationship with her also strained? If you don't mind my asking, of course," he quickly added.

"Will do." Adam said with a smile as she left his office. Adam was examining the whole of the situation before his phone buzzed. Isn't everything Carter want important, dear? Adam replied, his fingers coursing with sarcasm. ​Marnee and Frederick are fine, they love Mrs. Wilson. If there was one person that Adam trusted, besides his wife, in the employment of Carter, it was the day school teacher, Mrs. Wilson. Adam adjusted his things, he couldn't help himself but to show up to the conference that day. Anything Carter had stamped as important usually peeked his journalistic mind. Adam prepared himself to leave to the building, excited to see how his wife would react. Adam left his office. "Juliet, I am going to the press conference tonight, you know what to do when I'm not here." Adam then left, anxious to see what was the "important" news.

"My sister and I are close, very close. She is who I miss most. She understood me. I guess it wasn't fair to leave without telling her but, I-I just had to." Anne choked up some tears again. She closed her eyes and tried to forget all of it. She wanted to start new and she would.

Sera made it through security, pocketing her badge once more and pushing hair behind her ear. Her phone buzzed once more, and she took it out, frowning heavily at Adam's first text. Why did he do this, anyone who knew him and saw that text would be able to sense the sardonicism. I'M telling you that this is important, silly =P. And I know you always send someone, but in case this was the day you weren't going to send someone, make sure you send someone. That had to be overt enough, right? Give them kisses for me, she sent.

Juliet nodded. He was going tonight? Was something up, or was this just an attempt to play rookie? She didn't ask. "Yes, sir, I'll take care of everything."

Weston frowned, but shook his head. "No, I mean, I can understand, to a point, why you had to do it. If you ran out without warning, you might not have had an opportunity. I'm sure your sister will understand, when you see her next." He sighed. "And, hey, Anne...whoever it was who hurt you...he can't do that now. He an't hurt you now. You're safe."

I'm sorry dear, I can't text you. I am at the Torren Admin's comm building. I'll see you soon xoxo. Adam smiled as he pulled into the parking lot. His credentials made him able to enter, but he was asked to show them by about everyone. Adam found his way to the main room and took a seat in the back. He didn't want to be seen by anyone he knew, which let's face it, was about everyone in the room. Adam knew something about everyone there. Whether it was positive or negative, Adam scanned the room, smirking at the sight of different people. When he saw his wife, Adam made no gesture of call to her. If she found him, that would be that.

"I'm...I'm safe." Anne couldn't believe until she herself spoke those sweet words. No more abuse, no more violence. Anne smiled heavily, pressing herself closer to Weston. She couldn't imagine being anywhere else at that moment. "Thank you Weston, you have no idea how much it means to hear that." She couldn't help but let yet another tear escape her eye. It was not a tear of grief or sorrow, but a tear of hope and happiness.

Sera did a double take at her phone screen at Adam's message. This would be good. She sighed, pacing around the office a few times to practice the message and her delivery. And then she left, moving for the briefing.

Squaring her shoulders and straightening herself out, Sera held her head high and opened the door to the briefing room. She stalked inside, taking her place behind the podium as the reporters silenced themselves.

"Good afternoon," she started. Sera spotted James, who entered from the back door and stood against the back wall, arms crossed and gaze focused on Sera at the front of the room. "We know this conference was unexpected, but, it was unplanned, and...it's come as the result of...an adverse affair which took place within the past few hours. This administration--Kelly, hold on, no questions right now," she said, to a reporter who had tentatively raised her hand. She lowered it and began to jot into her notepad once more. "The administration has spent the past few hours working hard to combat this occurrence."

She spotted Adam in the back, catching his eyes, but making no other moves to indicate to the others in the room that they were acknowledging each other silently.

"This morning, around 10:35 AM, the eldest first daughter, Miss Anne Torren, forced her way out of the presidential mansion, in the process injuring Captain David Monroe of the President's Personal Guard. The president and the first lady are terrified, and have sent out two teams of PPG to find their daughter. We warn the public not to attempt a citizen's arrest if they see the child, as she is not well and doing so might endanger them. David Monroe is expected to recover fully. Unfortunately, he is not well enough at this time to participate in this briefing. We ask the support of the North American Union as we cope with and try to reverse this loss." She hesitated. "Who's got a question?"

Weston smiled down at her, nodding. "I can only imagine," he replied. "And, hey, again, we only just met, but if you ever want to talk about anything...in detail, or anything at all. Just. Whatever you want. I'll listen."

Adam debated heavily raising his hand. The story had plot holes if you looked far enough into it. The room was silent for a moment, and Adam took it upon himself to speak out. "Mrs. Dupont, I have a question." Adam called out as he stood up. "This is indeed a horrific moment for the Torren family. I am to understand the Presidential Mansion is highly guarded? How is it that a nineteen year old girl was able to escape without being taken into custody and returned to the household? Do we know if David Monroe is her only victim? Also, something I ponder most, if the President's daughter is missing, shouldn't he be here to address the room himself, instead of participating in a rally about food shortages of a small chain of grocery markets?" The room erupted in loud talking and yelling. Adam smiled and took his seat. He couldn't help but notice James's glare at him. All in a days work, Adam thought. Sure some of the questions were unneeded, but it was enough to get the room going. This was indeed an interesting story after all. Adam soon flipped out his phone and texted Julie. Get me everything you can on Anne Torren, and James Arceneau, thanks.

Anne sat for a moment, thinking. Maybe she could trust him with more than simple words, and a basic story. "Weston, please don't be mad when I say this. I am the president's eldest daughter, Anne Torren." She shied away at the statement, ashamed that she had the title. "I don't know who are what are after me, if anyone at all. I don't want to put you in danger, I'm sorry I didn't just come out and say it, please don't be angry with me. I just couldn't take it at the mansion anymore, my father, Carter, he would beat me for no reason at all. He told me to be more like Mirette, but we are twins. I never understood him!" Anne buried her face into Weston's chest, crying out.

((Super related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7slMSKQbiiI))

Sera tilted her head to the side as Adam questioned her, a flash in her bright blue eyes the only indication that she was angry with him, and that that anger grew and grew as he spoke. She noticed James out of the corner of her eye, fuming, but redirecting his own anger into his notebook. Sera nodded, raising her voice to combat the yelling reporters. "Guys! Guys, settle down, you know how this works! Adam, you can sit down. I don't know what you want answered first, so stay with my while I try to remember the entirety of that interrogation sequence. We cannot comment on the specifics of the incident. Not only are we still figuring those out ourselves but also we do not comment on security protocols. You know that. The president is terrified over the condition of his daughter. I'm sure you all can only imagine the pain of losing a child," she continued, giving Adam a meaningful look. "President Torren chose to act more selflessly than selfishly as he continued running the continent. Food scarcity is a very serious issue that most of us will never have to face head on. President Torren made the very difficult choice to delegate the responsibility of finding his daughter so as to support the continent as a whole. And Elodie Torren is too shell-shocked with a mother's pain and the responsibility of taking care of her other child to be here. I hardly think you, Adam, should be placing more value on how one person displays his or her grief over how another person does so. Put your phone away. Next question. Kelly."

Kelly started. "Sera, will the president be issuing a comment of his own?"

"I have told you our statement."

"Yes, but, will the president be addressing the incident directly?"

"This is a very serious and personal moment for the Torren family, and we should respect their response, whatever it entails. That's all, guys, I'll have more for you later." Reporters called her name, but Sera didn't respond, glancing angrily at her husband once more. She stood by the corner as the reporters finally started to file out, and James approached from beside Adam at the back of the room.

The information surprised Weston, but then, as he thought about it, it didn't. Not really. The situation, the hints she'd given, her dress, her demeanor. It all made sense now. If she hadn't been so scared, he might have wondered if this were a set-up of some kind, but that clearly wasn't what was going on. He wrapped his arms around her as she dove into his chest, petting her hair down and trying to comfort her. "Shhh. I'm sorry. It's okay. It's okay." He kept holding and consoling her, wishing there were a way to just silence her cries. The information was so much at once, he had trouble responding with more than apologies and words of comfort.

((Also, were they seventeen or nineteen? I thought seventeen. I'm cool with whichever.))

(Seventeen sorry!)

Adam stared a whole through James as he walked towards Sera. Adam then stood up and exited the room. He cursed the whole situation under his breathe and waited outside the building for his wife. It would be tough to get the truth which so blantely stared Adam in the face. A few reporters stopped to discuss their opinions with Adam. "President Carter is a smart man, truly. Very clever indeed." He left it at that.

Anne sobbed for a few minutes before adjusting herself. "I will not go back there. Not until changes are made. I'm not sure if this will change my father or not. He is so focused on the union. I just hope Mirette and my mother do not suffer for my actions." Anne stared into Weston's eyes with worry.

((No worries XD. It's unimportant.))

Sera could see Adam's gaze burning through James' back, but she thought that her embarrassing him had been well deserved. And would she ever make sure that they had a talk that night. She caught her husband's eyes for a moment before breaking off the eye contact when James arrived. "Why was your husband here," he muttered. Sera shrugged. "I really could not tell you, James." James nodded. "You recouped well." Sera sighed. "No questions next time." "At least not if he's here." "I understand," Sera replied. "I'll take care of it." "Good. I have to go back to the mansion. I'll touch in later." Sera nodded, her heart rate speeding up again as she looked at her schedule. She had a few minutes. She had seen Adam retreat outside, and knew he wanted her to follow, but she didn't care. She turned, heading deeper into the building, and to her office. They would be meeting on her terms. She pulled out her phone, ready to send her husband a text. My office. Now.

​Weston frowned. "Your sister. You said he worships your sister. Do you really think he'd touch her? Do you think she might be in danger," he asked. "And your mother. Your parents don't get on well?" He wouldn't have been surprised. Carter Torren was a tyrant. it made sense for him to be that way with his family, too.

Adam checked his phone, then turned back into the building. He made haste to her office and opened it without knocking. "Why do you continue to pretend that what Carter says is true. Sera, honey, you are smarter than I will ever be. I only pray that out kids are as intelligent as you are. You don't need to conform to his corrupted press. You and I both know his daughter couldn't have done this by herself. For gods sake the girl is only seventeen. I have something you might like to read. If anything it might lean your towards the light side of everything that is political." Adam pulled out the letter and pressed it to her desk, sliding it to her. "Ok, now I am ready for for your counter." He smiled sarcastically, for he knew his wife that he loved so much was about to tear him a new one.

Anne thought for a moment. "Fatger wouldn't do anything to Mirette, Why would....why would he?" She was second guessing herself the entire time she talked. "Weston, what if my sister is in danger!" She had shivers spike through her frail body. "Weston!" She clung to him once more.

Sera looked up as the door flew open and Adam came in. "Adam," Sera interrupted after just a few words. "Close the door." She was visibly fuming, and she had no intentions for this to be anything other than her yelling at him. She waited for him to finish, and then glanced at the sheet he slipped across her desk to her, but she did not pick it up nor read it. She stepped around her desk, approaching Adam until she was right in front of him. She checked her office for bugs constantly, and disposed of those she found, but she was still so paranoid. "Adam," she whispered, seething. "I don't think you fully understand what we're dealing with here. You go on and on about how the president is an autocrat, and yet you claim we have a choice in this manner? There is no fucking choice, and you have to stop it. This is dangerous. And I have a five and a seven year old to worry about. You will not keep this up. I embarrassed you because that was the only way to unwind James Arceneau. Of all of the enemies to have, Adam! They already think I'm too close with the press. It's dangerous. Please. Stop it." Sera was fuming, and she let it all out on her husband, in lashes. But towards the end, she started to cry. These emotions, the fear, the anger, they just all ran together.

Weston took hold of Anne's arms, squeezing tighter as Anne started to panic. "Shh. Shh, I'm sure he won't. I'm sure you're right! I was just asking. From what you were saying, he thinks that your sister--Mirette?--is perfect. If your father is a control freak, and Mirette lets him control her, I'm sure everything is fine. You have no reason to believe that something is wrong with her, right?"