How do you feel about 2016?

• 2016 can go straight to hell!

Votes: 27 50.0%
  • 2016 was awesome! don't know what you're talking about.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • It was a normal year. Not horrible, but not all that great.

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • It's 2016?

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ

Melancholia Personified
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. Multiple posts per week
  6. 1-3 posts per week
  7. One post per week
  8. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Whenever my boss decides to let me go home. (Usually between 5-11 EST)
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
  3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Futuristic, Paranormal, Fantasy, Medieval, Romance, Horror, pretty much everything.
A lot of people have mixed emotions about this past year. A lot of crappy things have happened (I will ask everyone to leave out the nightmare that was the 2016 election! Seriously, that's not even up for discussion in this thread. Way too many opinions and heated arguments I'd like to avoid.) from David Bowie dying just ten days after the start of the year, and all the shittiness going on in the world in general.

For me, this year has been one of the worst years, ever. It did have it's bright spots, but not enough to overshadow the ugliness. The celebrity deaths have been gut wrenching. The news has been blah....aside from an awesome season of GoT and a handful of movies, I cannot say there has been anything that I will look back on 2016 with any sort of fondness.

However, I know I'm not alone! At least not entirely.

(I should probably have thrown up a warning. Video contains quite a bit of bad language.)

So, what about the rest of you? Anyone else share the same sentiment of 2016, or will you miss it? I'm actually really curious, because from everyone in my family and many of my friends, they feel like this year has been pure hell and they can't wait for it to end. I'm wondering if there is anyone who has enjoyed the year.

Last edited:
2016 was not my best year, that's for sure, but a lot of the garbage was leftovers from 2015 as well. In general, I don't think I ever felt as sad, lonely, angry, and in a general pissy mood than this year.

The best word I can pick for this year would be 'enlightening'. I learned who my true friends are, ie someone who will wake up 3 am in the morning just to chat with me because I was halfway across the world and lonely. I learned that losing so called friends isn't so bad, even if it hurts like hell. When you let go of one, you'll find that you're free to find someone better and... well, truer?

Heck, if 2016 hadn't been as gloomy as it had been, I wouldn't have gotten so involved in Iwaku! So that's definitely a plus. Right? Right?!

I also, again, realized that I have the best Mister in the world. Seriously, who else could tolerate me 24/7?

So... hm... I couldn't really pick any of the poll options. :bsmile:

For me, personally, this year started off shitty. My family was literally at the lowest point anyone could get to from the first of the year up until 2 months in. Things improved, but it felt like every time life started to look up, something came along and knocked me right back on my butt. And that was just in my house. My extended family had a whole lot of crappy things happening back to back as well, so the overall mood was dreary at best.

The only real bright side I've experienced was moving to PA. After living in what felt like a virtual hell for 8 months last year, I think anywhere would have felt like paradise.

Other than that, I can honestly say I've been ready for this year to be over since probably about July, and every day since has felt like a new round of torture in some way or another. I want to believe 2017 will turn out better, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
@Nydanna - Well I wish the best in 2017 for you and your family. ^_^

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
The year started good, however, it has been like a rollercoaster. Ups and downs, twists and turns. Not everything was bad though because through it all I had my best friend along my side experiencing everything with me because when you go through something terrible you realize who will be there with you. Luckily, I dropped the baggage along the way to free up my heart for those who are deserving.

I won't miss 2016 though I'm excited for Christmas and the new year of which I plan to make some serious changes.

2016 was not my best year, that's for sure, but a lot of the garbage was leftovers from 2015 as well. In general, I don't think I ever felt as sad, lonely, angry, and in a general pissy mood than this year.

The best word I can pick for this year would be 'enlightening'. I learned who my true friends are, ie someone who will wake up 3 am in the morning just to chat with me because I was halfway across the world and lonely. I learned that losing so called friends isn't so bad, even if it hurts like hell. When you let go of one, you'll find that you're free to find someone better and... well, truer?

Heck, if 2016 hadn't been as gloomy as it had been, I wouldn't have gotten so involved in Iwaku! So that's definitely a plus. Right? Right?!

I also, again, realized that I have the best Mister in the world. Seriously, who else could tolerate me 24/7?

So... hm... I couldn't really pick any of the poll options. :bsmile:

Yes. You're so right about friends. Those that are meant to be in your life will do all they can to stay in your life.

I wouldn't say 2016 has been the best year. It was punctuated by a whole lotta bullshit, but I also reaped something good out of it. This year I started modding at Iwaku. I have gotten closer with a few friends, started a couple new role-plays, made some awesome memories. I think 2016 has made me a stronger person in general and really opened my eyes to lots of things. I can definitely say I've changed over the past year, and that's a good thing.

All in all, 2016 has been a rollercoaster but I've gotten some pretty useful life lessons out of it.

2016 started off horrible and has been horrible until about a month ago. Losing friends. Being dumped. Family members passing away. Just a whole lot o' stuff.

But I now have a full-time job. Am planning on getting an apartment with my best friend once I have a good amount of money saved up. And I made an amazing friend this year.

Overall 2016 fucking sucked, but recently it has gotten better, and I look forward to what 2017 has to hold.

This entire year to me was an absolute and utterly unforgivable disgrace.
I'm disgusted by my own country as well all the deaths that seemed to have poured from the sky. Like... can we get a GOOD year in 2017 please? The last THREE years for me have been just awful. Legit the worst and lowest of my existence.

Honestly, I don't think poorly of 2016. The first of the year brought a wonderful internship in the career field that I wanted. Was it the best experience? No, but I learned so much from it. The internship grew me as a leader, as a person, and as a student. I couldn't have asked for more. 2016 also held the death of my aunt. Which, again, is not an experience I'd ever wish away. Was it hard sitting at her bedside? Definitely. Did it suck seeing my family grieving? For sure. But, the growth I saw in my family is something I'm beyond thankful for. In those moments, we were more honest and closer with each other than ever before. Right after my aunt's death we got to celebrate life at my cousin's wedding where I was a bridesmaid. She is like a sister to me and seeing her marry someone who truly loves her, a love that seems almost tangible, was a huge blessing. I also got such a fun job at a cavern where everyone was so friendly and easy going. I made friends. I became more social which is a miracle for me. A new house that my parents actually owned was another experience in 2016. Sure, painting and repairing the fool thing was a nuisance. BUT OUR OWN HOUSE. There were hurdles along the way, but that's life, you know? No year is absolutely awesome but as far as my 2016 went, it wasn't horrid.

2016 was one of the best years ever for me. Achieved so much on both professional and personal fronts, and had so much fun with many people along the way. I hope that the others absorbed as much "awesome" from the common experiences of 2016, and I truly believe they did. Some things I hoped for will likely be left undone, but that's what 2017 is for.

The only real negative of the year was losing my 10 year old dog to cancer. It was not a surprise, but it's still something very significant that dampened the mood near the end of this year.

I've had worse years. I've improved my art skills, finally wrote things for my original world, met some wonderful people, and had a LAN party for the first time in ever. The family stuff sucks the most. It's a wreck. Here's to a better year.

It feels like only a few months ago we were entering 2015, and now we're heading full speed into 2017. The number six is cursed, I'll tell you now.

Personally, though, it's been the most uneventful year of my entire life. If another comes this way, I won't mind.

2016 was a good year for me, personally. I found something I was very passionate about (nature, mushrooms) and it really helped me break out of depression. It's not ending particularly well, but that's par for the course. I've also been really productive re: writing, which makes me super happy.

Negative things from 2016: Aside from the lovely political climate and all the celebrity deaths, this year has been one of my worst in recent memory. Mental, physical, financial health...many people I care about have struggled in unprecedented ways this year. My partner's health in particular tested my endurance. In the next week, I'm going to have to take our cat to be put down. It's a big chapter of life closing, since he's been with us for a little over a decade. Overall though, I'm surprised things didn't break as terribly as they could have. Foundations were shook and infested with termites, but nothing has come crashing down in catastrophe yet.

Positive things from 2016: Befriended Vardoger. Cousin had a nice wedding. Did not totally lose employment. Did not die.

Reactions: Vardoger
Negative things from 2016: Aside from the lovely political climate and all the celebrity deaths, this year has been one of my worst in recent memory. Mental, physical, financial health...many people I care about have struggled in unprecedented ways this year. My partner's health in particular tested my endurance. In the next week, I'm going to have to take our cat to be put down. It's a big chapter of life closing, since he's been with us for a little over a decade. Overall though, I'm surprised things didn't break as terribly as they could have. Foundations were shook and infested with termites, but nothing has come crashing down in catastrophe yet.

Positive things from 2016: Befriended Vardoger. Cousin had a nice wedding. Did not totally lose employment. Did not die.
Ugh! Having a pet put down is the worst. Sorry you have to go through it. :( Hopefully things will be better for us all next year.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not willing to say that 2016 was the worst year of my life, but it's definitely up there.

Completely and utterly batshit, especially the last few months. Both in good and bad ways. Both personally and with respect to humanity in general.

All I need is deceased family members showing up and declaring they had faked their deaths and I will officially be convinced I have been in a year-long coma and the events of the past 12 months were all a dream.

It's certainly not one of my better years, personally and not just including all the shit that went down worldwide. There are highlights (becoming staff on Iwaku and getting to know how awesome people like @Pahndæmonium @IceQueen @Jorick @Diana and everyone else are, getting help for my depression, etc), but it's not something I can overall say was a happy time for me. I do think that the highlights that there are definitely helped me, though.

The downturn of this year is for some reason I'm not as chill and emotionally stable as last year, I think I've gotten more argumentative with people I'm close to than is good for me, and even if I'm getting help for my depression it still feels shitty enough to crawl into a hole and die some days. I'm insecure about getting left behind by my yearmates because I had to take time away from school and one of the things that made up my identity for most of my life is the academically excelling student, and now that's been taken away from me.

But oh well, life goes on and I'll just see what 2017 has in store.

2016 HAS SUCKED A HUGE FUCKING BAG OF DICKS. DICK AFTER DICK AFTER DICK.

Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this year. >:[

There are some highlights though, but the vast majority has been bags of dicks. T_T Not the worst year of this decade but really, what the hell 2016. What the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.