(18+) The Longest War: Shards of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
After further investigations into the OOC and such, I have a question.

This may have been addressed already but I'll ask anyway.

What setting is this? Like the city/country all of this is happening in?
It hasn't been asked yet, and I'm happy to answer. It's set in an unspecified metropolis in the US. Right now it's just referred to as "The City." I might just keep it as that, like in Transmetropolitan. I figure keeping it in a fictional city gives us some leeway as far as scenery goes. As for time period, it's set in the present, roughly.

Are there two creatures now? I thought here was one....

Are there two creatures now? I thought here was one....
Part of Apocrypha's ability set is that when it should 'die' via large amounts of kinetic energy, it splits into two copies of itself instead.

Abilities:

Mitosis - Should Apocrypha absorb more kinetic energy than his body can handle, he will split into two clones. Both new Apocrypha will have power equal to approx. half of the original, and share a hive mind. The clones can split themselves as well if they become overloaded.
The explosion caused by the car was enough to cause our dear friend Apocrypha to split. Though there's two now - which is a massive problem - both are about as half as strong as the original. What I'm worried about is if they split again after that...

I remember seeing the Mitosis ability. I just didn't see anything in @Gateman's post to indicate that Apocrypha splitting.

Part of Apocrypha's ability set is that when it should 'die' via large amounts of kinetic energy, it splits into two copies of itself instead.

The explosion caused by the car was enough to cause our dear friend Apocrypha to split. Though there's two now - which is a massive problem - both are about as half as strong as the original. What I'm worried about is if they split again after that...

It's indeed a possibility. To help you guys out, I'll give you a bit of clarification. The explosion itself caused a split (the shockwave has kinetic force, but the fire did not. It hurt him like it would anyone else. You have to figure out how to kill him without hitting him, per se.

I'll be putting in my character in a bit to help explain everything. For now, though, a Hint: if he can roar, he has to breathe...

I remember seeing the Mitosis ability. I just didn't see anything in @Gateman's post to indicate that Apocrypha splitting.
It occurred in the last bit, though the act itself was obscured by the fire and smoke

• Thank You
Reactions: KatherinWinter
Also, oh lord, @Jakers, if this keeps up I'll be controlling a small army by the end of the day.

I'll be putting in my character in a bit to help explain everything. For now, though, a Hint: if he can roar, he has to breathe...
Of course - how could I be so blind? We have to strangle him to death with our BARE HANDS.

Nah, but I see where you're getting at - water. It'll be a while before Jotham manages to figure that out on the spot, though.

Also, oh lord, @Jakers, if this keeps up I'll be controlling a small army by the end of the day.
That's sort of Jotham's plan. It's not a very good plan - but from the information he's been given so far in that brief confrontation, it's the best he can come up with. His mentality is to get them down to a swarm of weaklings; if their power is being halfed each time, then it won't be long before there's a swarm of sixteen demons with 6.25% power of the original. If he can even cause that many explosions without getting rekt first.

Plans will probably change as the fight progresses though. And hopefully someone will suggest a better one before he repopulates the city with mini-demons X)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course - how could I be so blind? We have to strangle him to death with our BARE HANDS.

Nah, but I see where you're getting at - water. It'll be a while before Jotham manages to figure that out on the spot, though.

That's sort of Jotham's plan. It's not a very good plan - but from the information he's been given so far in that brief confrontation, it's the best he can come up with. His mentality is to get them down to a swarm of weaklings; if their power is being halfed each time, then it won't be long before there's a swarm of sixteen demons with 6.25% power of the original. If he can even cause that many explosions without getting rekt first.

Plans will probably change as the fight progresses though.
I was actually thinking a big enough fireball would suck the oxygen from him long enough to suffocate him, but water might work too. Keep in mind, the clones can gain strength the same as the original can, so they might start weak, but dick around and they won't stay that way for long. It's just a good thing that their Power doesn't work on each other, otherwise they could just claw and gore the shit out of each other until they were full power once more. Good on you for not trying to use your player knowledge to make things easier though.

Oh, something to note:

As mentioned, Apocrypha's Backstory states that he came to be because he died and no one removed his shards. Any awakened that dies can suffer the same fate, and they will continue to come back until the shards are removed from their remurdered corpse.

In the case of Apocrypha specifically, each clone will carry half as many shards as the original (so clone a and b will have 8 and 7, respectfully, while clones aa and ab will carry 4 each, etc, ad infinum), making his max clone count 15.

• Useful
Reactions: Red Rabbit
Oh, something to note:

As mentioned, Apocrypha's Backstory states that he came to be because he died and no one removed his shards. Any awakened that dies can suffer the same fate, and they will continue to come back until the shards are removed from their remurdered corpse.

In the case of Apocrypha specifically, each clone will carry half as many shards as the original (so clone a and b will have 8 and 7, respectfully, while clones aa and ab will carry 4 each, etc, ad infinum), making his max clone count 15.
I was just going to ask that. Is there anyway for the Awakening to know how many shards a person (or in this case a being) has?

I was just going to ask that. Is there anyway for the Awakening to know how many shards a person (or in this case a being) has?
Not unless they are willing to tell you, or until you rip them out of the other person's corpse. Haven't decided how I'll do that yet though

• Thank You
Reactions: KatherinWinter
@Gateman
Pardon, didn't realize I was metagaming, I was merely using the image that was provided in the description to give a depiction of what my character saw. I'll simply make sure to consult you in the future to make things are A okay before posting, easiest way to avoid such problems.

@Gateman
Pardon, didn't realize I was metagaming, I was merely using the image that was provided in the description to give a depiction of what my character saw. I'll simply make sure to consult you in the future to make things are A okay before posting, easiest way to avoid such problems.
It wasn't the image, the only thing that was a sticking point is the bit about him thinking that Apocrypha wants to die. Far as I could tell, your chsracter would have no way to know that, and the way the monster's acting atm wouldn't give any indication. Sorry I jumped on it so eagerly without explaining myself earlier. My mood's been all out of whack from having a long, bad day.

I'm not upset mate, I was just pointing it out. You don't need to run everything by me first. I'm GM, not a dictator

Okay, I guess I'll give this a try. I'll make a CS and have it up today or tomorrow.

I noticed the whole thing about kinetic energy; if you want to get into real specifics, heat energy given to a molecule makes it move, so heating the monster up also grants kinetic energy.

In other news, I'm still around and watching eagerly to see what comes next. Still designing my character though.

I noticed the whole thing about kinetic energy; if you want to get into real specifics, heat energy given to a molecule makes it move, so heating the monster up also grants kinetic energy.

In other news, I'm still around and watching eagerly to see what comes next. Still designing my character though.
I know, I know, but if I get into too hard of science, I might start making people bored. Besides, using newtonian kinetic energy as a source of energy while ignoring the fundamental forces as a source of energy makes him powerful, but not overpowered. Maybe someone can get the heat bit once he dies?

The only thing that is holding me back from the RP is the impossibility of making allies and character development through conversation. It seems like the only thing to do is attack everything, and that's really putting me off.

@Gateman

Actually the statement about someone wanting to die was in reference to the well dressed spiffy idiot standing on top of the car and raising his fists as if to fight, not to the beast.

Johnathan's line of thinking being that no one is that stupid unless they have a plan, are suicidal, or are simply just that stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.