(18+) The Longest War: Shards of Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but more concise how? If you could sort of narrow it down it will help a lot, There is a lot of stuff, and while I could go with the more simplistic style and do a bunch of editing to make it so, it would be a lot easier if I head a few areas to target.

On top of that, I edited the bits you asked me about, and generally went through and tried to clear up any wording that may have been confusing.
Actually, it's fine. Just looked like bigger than it actually is on my phone. He's accepted. Might wanna go back and edit though, the old name is still there in a few places. Not a pressing thing, just thought you might wanna know.

I may have missed this but what do the shards look like? Do we just find them on the streets? Could a person have gotten a shard, say maybe it landed on their hair, got stuck to their shoe or something? I am assuming that the humans don't know what the shards are. Do we start with a power and the shards simply make it stronger or does it depend on the shard we find? Are the shard drawn to each other? Do can we feel if someone else has a shard?
Quite a few things to answer.
1. I'm using fire quartz as a reference for how they look. Each shard varies in size (though not in power) to a degree, from 1-3 inches in size. I suppose you could get them stuck on you without knowing, but you'd have to be amazingly oblivious.
firequartz.jpg

2. They didn't fall to earth from the heavens, per se, it's more like they suddenly manifested from nothing. The people who are able to find them are connected in some way, but I haven't decided how just yet.

3. Indeed, humans don't know what they are, only that certain individuals are drawn to them, while others avoid them like they're made of compressed radioactive plague particles.

4. The awakened only develop powers after being exposed to the shards. The shards themselves act as catalysts, modifying your genes to allow your body to handle the power contained within. The powers manifested are things that are hidden away in your genetics, and more a side affect than a direct result.

5. The shards are semi-sentient, and want to come together and be whole once more. Because of this, Awakened are drawn to the energy other awakened put out, and as they gain more shards and become stronger, they will eventually be taken over by the will of the shards, and be consumed with the desire to get more at any cost.

6. Not really something you asked, but something you might wanna know. The Shards, once touched, disappear inside you, leaving a mark behind, like Jotham's hands. This mark varies from person to person.

Any other questions dear?

Neat concept; what time period/technology level will this be?

Any other questions dear?
LOL.
1. How long have the awaken had the shards they found?
2. Other then being drawn to it why would someone pick up a shard? I can see any of my characters picking up a random rock just because their drawn to it.
3. The mark can be anything? Do the mark appear anywhere or where the shard touched them?
4. If two Awaken met would they fight? If they fight does the winner get the losers shards?

/me appears out of nowhere

Hi, I came across this while browsing... I'm going to keep an eye on this for a couple of days, and maybe plan out a CS. I won't make any promises, although I do rather like the concept.

Reactions: Gateman
LOL.
1. How long have the awaken had the shards they found?
2. Other then being drawn to it why would someone pick up a shard? I can see any of my characters picking up a random rock just because their drawn to it.
3. The mark can be anything? Do the mark appear anywhere or where the shard touched them?
4. If two Awaken met would they fight? If they fight does the winner get the losers shards?
1. It's rather open, but I realize I didn't really say that earlier. I figure it's been 3 years since Lucifer was destroyed, so the earliest someone could've found one is roughly around then.

2. The corrupting essence of it creates an irresistible pull felt by any that are capable of wielding the power. Kinda like how humans have an evolutionary imperative to collect shiny things.

3. The mark is simply your body's reaction to the shard; how it manifests on you is determined by your personality and, to a small degree, the power it helps you manifest. They can appear anywhere on the body, the only consistent rule is that the mark expands as you collect more shards.

4. Not all Awakened will fight. Those that are still able to keep their wits about them and resist the influence of the shards can be allies. However, the more they collect, the harder it is to fight the impulses. Provided it is a fight to the death, the defeated awakened will have their shards taken from the enemy. When that happens, there will be an event where it reacts to the shards you have already and you will either gain a new power, strengthen the powers you have, or begin to manifest the power, and associated weaknesses, of the slain opponent.

Neat concept; what time period/technology level will this be?
I figured either present day, with all the associated tech, or roughly 20 minutes into the future, sort of like the Nolan Batman movies

Appearance:
337701443_fb6e4f3ab5.jpg

source

Name: Griffin Green
Personality: Griffin isn't a people person. He will deal with them only if he has to. He is brutal honest. He doesn't care about other peoples opinions or feelings. Because of his past he doesn't trust people easily. He has a short temper and will become aggressive if uncomfortable.
History/Bio: Griffin was raised by his father. His mother died when he was six. His father was very cruel and abusive to him. He ran away from home when he was sixteen. He lived on the streets until he was 21. During that time he robbed drug dealers and other men that reminded him of his father to survive. He sold sculptures that he made out of wood and metal when he could. He eventually saved up enough to rent a place. Once day when he was looking for metal to used for his sculptures he found one of the shards.
Motivation: Longing for power.

Skills: metal working, wood carving, lock picking, pick pocketing, stealth
Talents: street smarts, problem solving,
Non-Critical Skills and Talents: carpentry, good with animals,

Number of Shards: 1
Abilities: shadow manipulation. He can created almost anything out of shadows. He can use the shadows almost like regular objects. If he creates a chair he can sit in it. If he creates a knife he can cut with it. His shadow objects aren't as strong as regular objects.
Corruption: Becomes more and more willing to hurt others.

Dislikes: bullies, small spaces, chaos, storms, stupid people
Pet Hate: People who think their better then everyone.

Theme Song: If your going through hell

Anything Else You want to include + Additional Images:

Last edited:
Appearance:
337701443_fb6e4f3ab5.jpg

Name: Griffin Green
Personality: Griffin isn't a people person. He will deal with them only if he has to. He is brutal honest. He doesn't care about other peoples opinions or feelings. Because of his past he doesn't trust people easily. He has a short temper and will become aggressive if uncomfortable.
History/Bio: Griffin was raised by his father. His mother died when he was six. His father was very cruel and abusive to him. He ran away from home when he was sixteen. He lived on the streets until he was 21. During that time he robbed drug dealers and other men that reminded him of his father to survive. He sold sculptures that he made out of wood and metal when he could. He eventually saved up enough to rent a place. Once day when he was looking for metal to used for his sculptures he found one of the shards.
Motivation: Longing for power.

Skills: metal working, wood carving, lock picking, pick pocketing, stealth
Talents: street smarts, problem solving,
Non-Critical Skills and Talents: carpentry, good with animals,

Abilities: shadow manipulation
Corruption: Becomes more and more willing to hurt others.

Dislikes: bullies, small spaces, chaos, storms, stupid people
Pet Hate: People who think their better then everyone.

Theme Song: If your going through hell

1. Source your picture.
  2. elaborate on the scope of your powers; what they do, what their limits are, and how you use them best.
  3. Explain more of what your corruption does to you.
  4. Fix typos and grammatical errors (Pet hate, history)

1. Source your picture.
  2. elaborate on the scope of your powers; what they do, what their limits are, and how you use them best.
  3. Explain more of what your corruption does to you.
  4. Fix typos and grammatical errors (Pet hate, history)
Wow that was bad. I apologize. I am not feeling that great. I made the corrections. I am not sure that I source the picture right. I didn't see an author so I just put the site.

Wow that was bad. I apologize. I am not feeling that great. I made the corrections. I am not sure that I source the picture right. I didn't see an author so I just put the site.
We all make mistakes, don't worry about it. Just doing my job as gm by pointing out the issues. If you can't find the photographer, linking back to the original site will work. He's accepted.

• Love
Reactions: KatherinWinter

Mhm, after seeing similar reactions I should probably reinforce what Gateman just said; if you make a mistake it doesn't mean you're a terrible RPer. Back in "the good ol' days", when I actually had enough free time to run a few RPs myself, I used to make sure the CS was up to scratch so the character fitted the rules. The nitpicking process allows you to narrow down and specify the important aspects of your character, so when it comes to the IC you're aware of what they can and cannot do. Every revision you make, you're concentrating on your character; not only do the CS then all end up at a good standard but you'll remember the specifics of your character when you go on to RP as them, compared to slamming a quick CS down, disappearing for 2 or so weeks until the IC comes up and then RPing a character which deviates significantly from what you applied with. I've done it before, even in Aldertree; Roo was meant to be more sarcastic and witty but turned out to be a scardey cat, simply because I forgot what I typed out in his personality.

It's good practice to revisit your CS once or twice after creating it anyway, to edit and fine tune the character in the way you want it to go.

It's good practice to revisit your CS once or twice after creating it anyway, to edit and fine tune the character in the way you want it to go.
Oh I know that making a mistake doesn't make me a bad RPer. CS are still something I am working on. They are getting better. Details are not my strong suit. I don't want to giveaway too much too soon. I have five characters, almost six, that I have been building up the last couple of years. The more I use them the more I get to know them and can fill in a CS better. But thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot.

Reactions: Ythania
Either way, I quite like Griffin. His drug dealer attacks would fit nicely with my character's use of marijuana to dumb themselves down. I think he might find my character's arrogance intolerable, unless they knew each other prior to gaining the shards...Griffin's questionable morality would suit my character quite nicely too. Well, it's something to ponder over when I've made a first draft of my CS.

Reactions: KatherinWinter
It sounds like it could be an interesting rivalry. Griffin would definitely dislike someone who is arrogance. This should be interesting. I've never played Griffin's darker side. He usually fights to be better then his father. I don't think that will be possible long with the shard.

You guys mind if I join? I'll be posting my character sheet in a while...

Appearance:
View attachment 104269

"Always let the devil do the work..."

Name: Ace Mortem
Personality: Ace has a knack for hating everyone and everything, there's never a day where he doesn't imagine killing people around him. This isn't the cause of a traumatic experience, an abusive parent, bullying, or anything. Ace surrounds himself with darkness, mentally torturing his own mind, and putting himself in a place where no one else would dare to enter. He is very sadistic and masochistic in many ways, and he doesn't really care for anyone around him, but he never cared for himself either. Despite this, he is very honest, too honest.

History/Bio: Growing up in a very rich family, Ace was adored and loved by every one of his friends, which he didn't even remember befriending. His parents loved him like he was the only child despite having three more siblings, fortunately this didn't cause any sibling rivalries between them. As he grew up, he matured, and as he matured, he began to realize how worthless everything really is. Ace began to think that everything in his life is too good to be true, so oddly enough, he began looking for the downside. After a failed suicide attempt, he realized that the downside was him. Afterwards, Ace locked himself away from everyone, even his parents and his siblings. One night, he decided to break out of his parent's mansion, not really knowing his own reason. And that's when Ace found the shard, glowing with dark red aura. After having to kill a family of beggars for it with his bare hands, he uses the shard to empower himself. And to test his new powers, he set off to kill his whole family, after successfully doing so, he couldn't help but kill more...

Motivation: Extinction of humanity, chaos and anarchy.

Skills: Enhanced agility, stamina, flexibility, and regeneration.
Talents: Being convincing, intimidating, and a surprisingly good musician.
Non-Critical Skills and Talents: Arts, electric guitar, chess and drumming.

Abilities: Blood manipulation. Either his or his enemies', Ace can control blood and could even kill with it. He can turn blood into several things like crystal, strings, and blades. He could even drain blood from his enemies (which takes alot of time and might need a big cut or a deep wound). His body also heals twice as faster.
Corruption: The will to keep killing.
Likes: Gore, things that make him throw up, disaster, pain, chess, a good fight, chaos, and ruining people's plans.
Dislikes: Humanity, kids, the government, things and people too good.
Pet Hate: People who follow blind leaders, and people who are adored for being "heroic".

Theme Song:
Slipknot - The Virus Of Life
You might have missed it, but I told @conman2163 this. You cannot manipulate another person's blood as a level one power. Also, source your picture properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should probably make one, shouldn't I?

Appearance:
94cd8c19400a7ba492651c23b9655f9a.jpg

Name: Edgar Carter

Personality: Edgar is a slacker who loves a good laugh more than anything else. He's decided "If can't enjoy himself, what's the point of life?" and because of this mentality, he spends most of his time flitting between hedonism and self-destruction. The worst part is that if he'd apply himself to more than just his slackerish ways, he could probably rise to greatness with ease. The only thing that seems to get his attention off himself are the few people who he considers friends. Should one of them need something, he's known to drop whatever he's doing to make sure they get it.

History/Bio: Most would have a dramatic story, but Edgar's shoots straight past dramatic all the way to stupid. He was walking home one evening, three sheets to the wind, and stumbled over what he thought was a rock in the road. He turned to find the offending pebble, and as soon as he touched it, felt liquid fire flow through his hands and over his body, the shard disappearing in a flash of light. Suddenly clearheaded, with a unique sense of calmness washing over him, he suddenly became aware of a desire for more of the stones.

Motivation: Like an addict, he seeks out the stones because of the pleasurable feelings that wash over him whenever he finds another one.

Skills: Kickboxing, fencing, and Kobudo (learned from the third shard), Shard Tracking.

Talents: sharp investigative skills, critical thinking,

Non-Critical Skills and Talents: Bartending, cooking, sleeping anywhere.

Number of Shards: 5

Abilities:
  1. Shadow Clone - Using his own shadow, he can make an exact duplicate of himself, with the same powers and skills. The only way to tell the difference between the real and clone Edgars is to look at their feet; the cloned Edgar will cast a shadow, while the real one will not. If the clone is killed, Edgar will be left unconscious and vulnerable for several minutes, up to an hour.
    1. Shadow Limbs - Edgar can create multiple arms from his shadow, with the same benefits as his clone.
    2. Savior - Edgar's shadow clone can be used to heal others, replacing missing or injured tissue with parts from the clone, up to and including limbs and organs. After using this ability, the Shadow Clone cannot be used again for 1 hour.
  2. Alcohol Creation - Due to his being drunk at the time of his awakening, he can create alcohol from the air around him, using his bioelectric energy as a catalyst to trigger the change. The alcohol can be up to 198 proof, making it sometimes closer to rocket fuel than what you'd put in a cocktail.
  3. Temperature manipulation - Edgar can change the temperature in a 2 meter sphere to fit his desires. The change can be up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit in either direction.
Corruption: using his abilities induces a severe hangover that leaves him useless for anywhere from one to three hours after each use. During this weakened state, he cannot use any of his abilities without risking passing out and leaving himself defenseless. Due to a dependence on his bioelectricity, he must eat constantly. Unknown to his friends and possible allies, he's begun to hear a voice emanating from the shards inside his body, tempting him to do unspeakable things.

Dislikes: work, people who interrupt his fun, classical music

Pet Hate: "You don't need alcohol to have a good time!"

Theme Song:

• Has killed an Awakened for his shard, gaining the shadow clone ability
  • loves to fight, but won't admit it
  • Is a (just barely) functioning alcoholic

Picture Originally Drawn by Munin

Name: Raelin Jordy
"I don't mind Rae, but don't call me RJ."
Personality: Aggressive, deceitful, and manipulative are only a few of the negative inner workings in Rae. She does her best to keep them under wraps during day-to-day activities though they tend to slip out now again, especially when negotiating prices with someone. However, she can also be a very charming woman. She's enthusiastic about physical activities and sweets, always trying to cram some new work out or cupcake down the throat of whoever. Raelin is also adaptable to her situations, making her a somewhat stable candidate for handling tough situations.

History/Bio: Raelin was once a state champion gymnast who would have gone on to the Olympics if it weren't for an unfortunate mountain biking accident. She had gone out with her teammates to get a little fresh air and enjoy the outdoors for the day, but on the way back down her brakes had malfunctioned. ("'Malfunctioned'. Yeah, right, that bitch Stephanie did something to my bike because she couldn't handle being second best.") She shattered the bones in her right forearm and hasn't competed since the tragedy, but she did continue to practice in a privately owned gymnasium after healing up and still does from time to time.

Three years after changing her ambitions she'd made herself into a local baker with a thriving cake business even though she doesn't have the nicest of attitudes towards all of her customers. She'd gone to the Parker's Gym to let off some steam after a stressful holiday month then returned to her home with the oddest feeling pulsating under her foot. Upon closer investigation she found an irregular piece of stone stuck between the grooves of her running shoe, unsure when it got there or where it could have come from.

Rae suddenly wanted it, wanted to keep it on her at all times... But she couldn't just keep it in a pants pocket, it had to be where no one would ever be able to take it from her. Without thinking she picked it free and attempted to swallow it whole. She was suddenly unable to breathe and assumed it was lodged in her throat before losing consciousness. When she came to she found herself ravenous for revenge and feeling like she was finally awake, but at the cost of angry red lines trailing up her throat to the bottom of her jaw.

Three hundred and sixty-five days of scarves and tireless searching later, she's finally coming closer to finding other shards- she can taste it.

Motivation: "Revenge. Plain and simple." She wants to make others suffer the way she did, to have their hopes and dreams snatched away in an instant, and she can do that just by taking their lives. The more shards, the more power; The more power, the more pain she can inflict on humanity.

Skills:
Gymnast- Basic strength, great stamina, extraordinary agility, and good balance.
Talents:
Lipreading and throwing her voice. (I think these fit in with her being manipulative.)
Non-Critical Skills and Talents
:
Good with kids, can decorate anything from cakes to apartments, baker.

Number of Shards: 3
Abilities:
  1. Matter Ingestion- Raelin is able to ingest (via mouth) a numerous amount of inedible items, and simply by unhinging her jaw on mental command before hand allows her to take larger bites of whatever it may be.
  2. Materialization- After eating an item she can produce it again from the throat (whole) at will.
  3. Kinetic Energy Absorption- Obtained from Apocrypha, she absorb any type of kinetic energy thrown her way without immediate damage.
Corruption: The shard gives her the insatiable desire to eat humans, preferably raw.
1- Her cheeks become stretched to the point of tearing if too much is forced into her mouth and the jaw becomes susceptible to being ripped off.
1- She cannot digest the inedible objects and will have to regurgitate them within an hour which will lead to severely degrading her esophagus, tongue, and teeth if done more than twice a day.
1- The teeth cannot handle items such as certain stones or thick steel and will break if attempted.
2- Materializing more than two objects daily will leave her drained of energy.
3- Every hit that could leave some type of mark will eventually show up on her skin. E.g., Bruises and cuts will begin to appear within the hour after the initial injury is given.

Likes: Being active, carnivals, sugary items, and biting people.
Dislikes: Being watched or negatively criticized.
Pet Hate: Cannot stand people who don't wash their hands or the sound of someone eating with their mouth open.

Theme Song:

-Ate a child who found a shard, but refuses to believe it was a real occurrence.
Link to an original of the image since I couldn't find an artist.
Runner up theme song.

Name: Raelin Jordy
"I don't mind Rae, but don't call me RJ."
Personality: Aggressive, deceitful, and manipulative are only a few of the negative inner workings in Rae. She does her best to keep them under wraps during day-to-day activities though they tend to slip out now again, especially when negotiating prices with someone. However, she can also be a very charming woman. She's enthusiastic about physical activities and sweets, always trying to cram some new work out or cupcake down the throat of whoever. Raelin is also adaptable to her situations, making her a somewhat stable candidate for handling tough situations.

History/Bio: Raelin was once a state champion gymnast who would have gone on to the Olympics if it weren't for an unfortunate mountain biking accident. She had gone out with her teammates to get a little fresh air and enjoy the outdoors for the day, but on the way back down her brakes had malfunctioned. ("'Malfunctioned'. Yeah, right, that bitch Stephanie did something to my bike because she couldn't handle being second best.") She shattered the bones in her right forearm and hasn't competed since the tragedy, but she did continue to practice in a privately owned gymnasium after healing up and still does from time to time.

Three years after changing her ambitions she'd made herself into a local baker with a thriving cake business even though she doesn't have the nicest of attitudes towards all of her customers. She'd gone to the Parker's Gym to let off some steam after a stressful holiday month then returned to her home with the oddest feeling pulsating under her foot. Upon closer investigation she found an irregular piece of stone stuck between the grooves of her running shoe, unsure when it got there or where it could have come from.

Rae suddenly wanted it, wanted to keep it on her at all times... But she couldn't just keep it in a pants pocket, it had to be where no one would ever be able to take it from her. Without thinking she picked it free and attempted to swallow it whole. She was suddenly unable to breathe and assumed it was lodged in her throat before losing consciousness. When she came to she found herself ravenous for revenge and feeling like she was finally awake, but at the cost of angry red lines trailing up her throat to the bottom of her jaw.

Three hundred and sixty-five days of scarves and tireless searching later, she's finally coming closer to finding other shards- she can taste it.

Motivation: "Revenge. Plain and simple." She wants to make others suffer the way she did, to have their hopes and dreams snatched away in an instant, and she can do that just by taking their lives. The more shards, the more power; The more power, the more pain she can inflict on humanity.

Skills:
Gymnast- Basic strength, great stamina, extraordinary agility, and good balance.
Talents:
Lipreading and throwing her voice. (I think these fit in with her being manipulative.)
Non-Critical Skills and Talents
:
Good with kids, can decorate anything from cakes to apartments, baker.

Number of Shards: 2
Abilities:
1. Matter Ingestion- Raelin is able to ingest (via mouth) a numerous amount of inedible items, and simply by unhinging her jaw on mental command before hand allows her to take larger bites of whatever it may be.
2. Materialization- After eating an item she can produce it again from the throat (whole) at will.
Corruption: The shard gives her the insatiable desire to eat humans, preferably raw.
-Her cheeks become stretched to the point of tearing if too much is forced into her mouth and the jaw becomes susceptible to being ripped off.
-She cannot digest the inedible objects and will have to regurgitate them within an hour which will lead to severely degrading her esophagus, tongue, and teeth if done more than twice a day.
-The teeth cannot handle items such as thick stones or steel and will break if attempted.
-Materializing more than two objects will leave her drained of energy.

Likes: Being active, carnivals, sugary items, and biting people.
Dislikes: Being watched or negatively criticized.
Pet Hate: Cannot stand people who don't wash their hands or the sound of someone eating with their mouth open.

Theme Song:

-Ate a child who found a shard, but refuses to believe it was a real occurrence.
Link to an original of the image since I couldn't find an artist.
Runner up theme song.
Accepted

• Thank You
Reactions: Red Rabbit
Well then! It looks like we're starting to get a diverse cast. I'm getting a strong vibe of some of the 7 deadly sins from the characters so far; unsure if that's intentional or not. (Also, I have 666 positive ratings whilst writing this post... spooky.)

@Gateman - Before this RP gets on the road to starting up, there are a few things I want to ask. Sorry for barraging you with more questions, or if I missed an answer to one of these already, but here goes:

1 - How will the IC start off? Will our characters be wandering around in their own separate places, or be put into a situation where they'll bump into each other?
2 - Will you be the one throwing events at us (such as angel attacks, demon attacks, etc.), or are we expected to freeform it all ourselves through OOC planning?
3 - Needless to say, character death is going to be a pretty big factor here. If our character gets cut in two/stabbed/incinerated/eaten alive, will there be an option of making another, or will we just spectate from there?

Well then! It looks like we're starting to get a diverse cast. I'm getting a strong vibe of some of the 7 deadly sins from the characters so far; unsure if that's intentional or not. (Also, I have 666 positive ratings whilst writing this post... spooky.)

@Gateman - Before this RP gets on the road to starting up, there are a few things I want to ask. Sorry for barraging you with more questions, or if I missed an answer to one of these already, but here goes:

1 - How will the IC start off? Will our characters be wandering around in their own separate places, or be put into a situation where they'll bump into each other?
2 - Will you be the one throwing events at us (such as angel attacks, demon attacks, etc.), or are we expected to freeform it all ourselves through OOC planning?
3 - Needless to say, character death is going to be a pretty big factor here. If our character gets cut in two/stabbed/incinerated/eaten alive, will there be an option of making another, or will we just spectate from there?
no problem, I'm happy to answer them.

1. I'll get back to you on that one, haven't decided yet. I'm open to taking suggestions from others.

2. I'll be the one handling the major events, but I'll be open to getting prompts from you guys about when a possible attack would be worth it.

3. If your character dies, as long as it happens for plot purposes and not because you pissed me off, you can create another character and have them join. They'll likely be allowed to power up to the current level of the majority of the other players.

• Useful
Reactions: Jakers
Status
Not open for further replies.