Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
【The Variable Project: Psyche】

"Humanity has been gifted an amazing ability, and shan't abuse it, lest we bring upon ourselves our own destruction."

~Drummond Prescott, Headmaster of Psychen Academy

The presitigious Psychen Academy — though other such academies have sprung up over the past year, PA still remains the top choice. Of course, along with the honor of being invited to attend an academy with as much notoriety comes the most trying entry exam. So difficult is their exam, that prospective students are made to work in teams to even have a chance at reigning successful. Those who aspire to attend PA knowing this are those who truly wish to make themselves stand out, even in a world where psychic powers are the norm.

The only way to get ahead is as it has always been — to make one's self known above all else.

Today, a new ring of prospects will fight for their right to attend, each for their own reasons, each with their own goals. Be it by scholarship, recommendation, or through sheer hard work, no one gets into PA without passing.

The opening day's schedule is static. Prospects are greeted, given a tour of the school grounds, and given a training suit and variable based on their compatibility results. Thanks to advancements in technology, embedding mental type variables is a completely non-invasive endeavor finished in a matter of seconds. Afterwards, the attemptees are given time to grow acquianted with their new tools in preparation for the entrance exam. Rumors circulate about what exactly it entails, but attendees are sworn to never reveal to the public what said entrance exam involves, lest their chances at ever entering PA be forever nil.

Seventeen-year-old Yvette Lecce gazed up at the building that seemed to tower above her as though it were a statement — a shout that told the world of mankind's newest evolution. She never understand all the hubbub herself. Yeah, the powers were great and all, but what difference did it make when everyone and their cousin had them? If anything, outside of what academies offered, they were just fancier ways to "fly" and fetch things. Despite her mundane perception of Psychokinesis, Psychen Academy offered a chance to change all that. Being one of only a few academies where students were allowed to engage in combat scenarios with their abilities, aided by tools known as variables that reacted to their psychic abilities, Yvette was hopeful she'd find some excitement here.

First things were first though. According to the letter she received (yeah, they still use those), all prospects were to head to the courtyard for a welcoming from the headmaster, Drummond Prescott. Though she'd seen videos of him, she could only imagine what the man was actually like in person. Shifting through the various papers on hand, Yvette gazed at the map. The school layout was surprisngly simple. Surrounded by four buildings used for classrooms and administrative buildings was a massive dome that may very well be the size of a small city all on its own. Opposite the entrance, on the other side of the dome, was the courtyard, where the headmaster was preparing to welcome newcomers.

External to the central layout where buildings afforded for the library, cafeteria, and a gymnasium. All this in mind, Yvette could only assume the massive dome was where combat took place. She couldn't help but get hyped up at the thought. Simulated environments containing whatever the mind could imagine, all at the students' disposal for their excitement starved desires. Her eyes still trained on the map in hand, the aspiring attemptee completely missed the person that'd stopped walking just ahead of her, bumping right into them and dropping her papers everywhere. 'Oh, geez...' Instant regret over her own clumsiness flooded her consciousness. Kneeling down to retrieve her fallen papers, Yvette looked up to meet the gaze of the one she bumped into.

Click, clack, click, clack, click, cla-

Naught but fire, naught but blood, crumbling into flakes between her fingers as it crawled on and on up the cerebrum, her mind uploaded to the cloud as her body rusted into itty bitty spiderweb fragments, the wind putting down over an edged horizon where the jesters hu-

Thump.

Haruka blinked, the sunset haired girl turning to see that a rather boyish girl had bumped into her. Huh, she was walking around her new campus, wasn't she? Must have zoned out. Shaking off the vestiges of her absentmindedness, the buxom teenager kneeled down along with the stranger, cocking her head to the side.

"You alright there?"

Amber eyes gazed into inkstone as she smiled warmly.

"That's a lotta papers you got there, miss. Are you a teacher here?"
@Pravitas

Deep amber eyes, flowing hair that bore the look of flames, and a...remarkably sized chest. If anything could be said about this female (at least, Yvette was pretty sure she was female), it was that she definitely stood out. Just not enough to have Yvette not bump into her. Despite her appearance, her demeanor was unfittingly calm. Maybe she was one of those extravagantly collected types. Whatever the case, the Ohio girl couldn't deny the female's impression on her. They didn't build them like this in Ohio.

"Ah... Um... My apologies." Yvette rose from the ground and gave a curt bow, coming to realize when her victim stood just how big the gap in height was. 'Is she actually human...?' A shake of the head followed the outspoken question. "I'm not even a student yet. These are just my notes and whatnot." Fingers shuffled through the multitude of sheets as though to let the girl catch a quick glimpse of each. "I was actually on my way towards the welcoming in the courtyard when I...uh...bumped into you, er..."

'Idiot, of course you can't call her by her name. You don't know it yet.' Instead of letting this slip develop into an awkward moment (a little too late for that), she held out her hand. "Yvette Lecce. You can call me Eevee though."

@ERode

"Eevee?" Haruka smiled, rising herself, "That's a pretty cute nickname. I'm Haruka Fujiyama. Nice to meetcha."

Looking more carefully, Yvette did seem on the young side of things, being all short and wrinkleless. Indeed, her proportions were a little more subdued than what Haruka was used to herself, but she had spent enough time in America that the rose-haired psychic was more or less accustomed to being 'above average'. A fellow newbie too though, that was nice.

She took the girl's hand in her own, shaking firmly twice, before letting go.

"I'm a newbie as well, but huh, never thought to take notes myself. You're the studious type, aren'tcha? Guess I'll be imposing on ya when it comes to crunch time, ne? Totally can't deal with all those frilly words and numbers myself."

Another bright grin, before she asked, shamelessly, guiltlessly, "So, Eevee…where's the courtyard anyways?"
@Pravitas

'Haruka Fujiyama... So, Japan.'

"Thanks, it's just one an old friend gave me. I had to leave them behind to be able to attend PA. Eyeing the double doors leading into the school with excitement, a grin formed on the evergreen-eyed girl's face. "I'm hoping it'll be worth it though. Ohio is nice and all, but it's still pretty boring."

The handshake was a lot firmer than Yvette was expecting it to be. Between the looks and the strong handshake, Yvette could only wonder what other surprises lie ahead. "I wouldn't say so much studious. Just a little more observant, maybe. Gotta be able to spot an exciting opportunity when it presents itself. Otherwise you'll miss it and just go on being bored."

Flipping through her papers to retrieve the map, Eevee held it for Haruka to see. "We'll have to go through here..." A finger pointed at a building on the map. "...and get ourselves identified first. Hope you brought your ID. Then we'll have to circle around this massive dome to reach the courtyard on the other side. Simple and straightforward enough, right?" At least, it was when one had a map.

Prepped to resume her walk, Yvette figured she may as well make light conversation with this girl who may very well be a future classmate. "So, where do you come from, Haruka? If it's alright for me to call you that."

@ERode

Last edited:
"ID?"

Haruka's amber eyes flicked off towards the sky in thought, before she patted the pockets of her jacket. Nope. Her hotpants? Nope. Her hair? Nope. Only when she reached into the lovely crevasse of her chest did she pull out her ID, still warm from the incredible body heat. Fanning it out, the cheery girl made an 'ok' sign towards her new bud, before leaning in once more to check out the map. It was a bit of a novelty, seeing someone use a 'real, drawn map' in a world featuring smartphones and all that jazz, but it was definitely interesting, and Yvette seemed like the sort of person to do things in a roundabout manner in order to milk the most enjoyment out of it.

It was a bit hedonistic, a bit morally gray, but whatever, it was nice to make new friends by faking inadequacy!

"Haruka's totes alright," she replied, ensuring her steps are slightly slower than normal in order to keep in line with Eevee, "That's how westerners refer to each other, ne? I like the custom myself a lot. Came from Alaska, and damn, New York's way brighter and louder than I'm used to. Really hope they give us time to go on tours of the city, eh? Feel soooooo out of my element here it's crazy~!"

Psychen Academy, yet another prison, but not as much of a prison as her home.

Anchovy Scarletfever was the true heir of the Scarletfevers, at a cost.

But that cost was a story for another time. The story right now was her entry into Psychen Academy, where she would represent the Scarletfever bloodline and assert their dominance upon the world.

Anchovy Scarletfever had nothing to do but to approach two particular women in the distance. Not a single word emerged from her mouth as she took steps towards the duo. Her tiny figure and even smaller density ensured that not a sound was made by her shoes. It was almost as if she had appeared behind the two without warning, and out of nowhere.

@ERode @Pravitas

Yvette couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief at the sight of her supposed companion's ID. PA was strict in that if you didn't have your ID on opening day, you wouldn't be allowed admittance at all. Most were a bit more lenient, offering takings of their entrance exams throughout the week to anyone offered a slot. Psychen did the same, but once you were assigned a day, that was it. If you couldn't show up prepared, you weren't even considered as potential material. If anything, you were then but a wasted postage stamp.

'Quite the awkward place to keep it though, isn't it...?' Yvette thought to herself, now stuck trying to remove her eyes from the taller woman's noticeable breasts. Thankfully, she had an excuse to avert her gaze — double doors would be the next thing she bumped into otherwise. "Alaska, huh?" Eevee wasn't sure if she expected her to be from Japan, or a native. "I'm surprised the temperature difference still leaves you wearing a ja—"

Yvette stopped upon opening the doors, only now noticing they were being followed rather closely by a girl that didn't even grace 4' 6". She'd think it a coincidence if it weren't for how she stared at the pair. Was this really one of PA's prospects? They really did attract a varied crowd. "After you...?" she half offered, half asked, unsure of whether the short girl actually had any business with them.

@ERode @Crow

Before Eevee could finish her remark, Haruka's eyes slid towards the little kid that was following them around. With blonde hair that reached way past her knees and eyes as red as fresh meat, she definitely stood out, a wholly different form of beauty compared to Haruka's bombastic figure. This…this was the type of person that you would expect to find in a suitcase, wouldn't it? Super small and frail, with hardly any meat on her bones.

But there was no one on Earth who would have the balls to kidnap the heir of the Scarletfever family. No, that wasn't right. Those desperate to the point of madness, or those who cared more for infamy than life would.

"Please, go ahead, Sardine Scarletfever," Haruka offered as well, a smile that was neither malicious nor scheming cresting her features, "You'll be taking the entrance exam too?"

...her name WAS 'Sardine' right? That sounded like it fit with 'Scarletfever'...
@Crow @Pravitas

ID? Check. Acceptance letter? Check. Handbook? Check. Bag? Check. Claire had run down the list of her belongings that she needed for just about the entire time that she was walking through the campus, but she could have sworn she was missing something. No clue what it was though. On her way in she had found herself to be searching through her messenger bag with her off hand, but nothing seemed to be missing. Maybe she was just being overly worried? Probably, but sometimes acknowledging the fact that you're worrying too much sends you into thinking about what you might be missing. Claire was absolutely that type. And the more she kept thinking of it, the more she kept running it back in her mind that she could have been missing something, the more that the prospect properly came up.

With a sigh, Claire kept walking towards the courtyard, hands in pockets as she tried to take a quick analysis of the people she could find. It was an easy way to keep her mind off what she was worried about, trying to think what other people were feeling. Nothing too interesting though, just the usual people you'd see on the first day on campus. People trying to make proper first impressions. She noticed a few others talking, and since they already seemed bunched up, Claire wanted nothing to do with it. The overly tall girl a few paces from an impressively short girl was somewhat odd, but probably would have reassured Claire more on the diversity of PA if she wasn't running more thoughts in her head as a backup plan for when someone inevitably talked to her.

'Hey, I'm Clare. Nice to meet you.' She ran that a few dozen times through her head as she paced by the doors, before pausing and taking a deep breath. 'Calm. No need to worry.' She tried to keep reminding herself, taking a moment to relax. New opportunities, stop being shy, don't stutter, make herself someone new, put some of that intelligence to work. Unless they're all gonna be like her old school, and well that would just make her give up, probably fall back to old habits of just shutting up, staying in the back, and slowly just having her social life break apart and her friends never talking to her-

'Stop that.' Claire thought to herself, having realized her thoughts had started a ramble train of sorts. 'They can't all be assholes.' Claire started to reassure herself, sighing and taking a good look outside. Back down to reality and the realization that se had just been standing there, zoned out hit her pretty hard. 'You're better than this.' Claire took another deep breath, looking over her shoulder to see whoever was still around.

Overhearing the word "sardine" had set Claire on a path away from the group that had just formed. Don't be rude to people just because they're short. Unlike stupidity, that's not something people can change. With a quiet "Nope," Claire had headed off to the opposite direction to one of the other entrances to the courtyard. 'Looks like there are some assholes here. Hopefully it's not everyone though.' She thought, heading out and passing by another. "Excuse me." She spoke softly, not quite making eye contact with the person she had almost bumped into. Sidestepping past the person, Claire continued on towards the courtyard.

Last edited:
Prier wasn't exactly happy, at the moment. What was up with this entrance exam thing? Or whatever it was. Why would they offer scholarships if you were gonna get some surprise like that when you actually got there. Not that being angry would change anything, but she couldn't fuck it up now. Sure, the worst that'd happen is she gets grounded for life or disowned as soon as she got back home, but that's simply not an option. At least she knew where she was going.

The small girl probably made a strange sight, lugging a duffel bag almost as big as she was over one shoulder, and with several more assorted suitcases following behind her like baby ducks. Thank god for psychokinesis, or she'd actually have to make multiple trips just to get all her stuff anywhere. Hopefully nobody at the school would mind the extra clutter.

Another girl dodged her with little more than a quiet "Excuse me". Prier looked up at the other girl. She always hated having to do that. She stopped briefly and considered opening her mouth, but there wasn't any reason to, was there? Not like she'd actually gotten run over. She took the time to switch arms and shoulders with her bag, and then picked up the pace to catch up with the other girl.

"So, what do you think about this whole pop quiz on the first day thing," she asked, finally able to vent at somebody. "Still, gotta jump through all the hoops, I guess?"

@Kit-n-Kat

"Huh..?"

'Ah shit.'
Claire thought to herself, turning around and stopping. Twirling her fingers inside her pockets, it took her just a few seconds to actually come up with something to say. "Y-yeah, I guess. They've gotta sort out the freeloaders somehow." That came out a lot meaner than Claire had intended, and so with another stutter she added, "T-though if you got here honestly there shouldn't be, uh.. Much of a problem." That had kind of come probably worse, and now Claire was already in nervous panic mode for the time being. Kind of an odd conversation starter, but then again what would be considered a good one? Clearly she didn't have much of an idea as to that.

Claire sighed, looking a bit away and still twirling her fingers within her hoodie pocket. She didn't want to come off as (more) rude than she already had been, but her being uncomfortable in the current conversation plus lack of practice made her pretty bad at continuing conversations too well. She couldn't tell whether or not the awkward silence was in her head or there actually was a pause, but to break it she tried to introduce herself. 'Cut it, kill it, just say something!' However because of how much she ran it through her head, she just blurted out, "Claire."

She kept up a soft smile and tried to stay cool, but on the inside she was criticizing herself like you couldn't believe. If that little bout of awkwardness was going to be representative of the rest of her time here, it'll be a long few years.

@R-9 Pilot

The two seemed to have taken notice of her.

"If you insist," Anchovy Scarletfever spoke up as she walked forward.

"It is Anchovy Scarletfever, Miss, do remember that," Anchovy says to Haruka, "I am here to attend these entrance examinations and whatnot, much like all of you."

It wasn't long before more people arrived at the scene. Three was a crowd, but five was a buffet.

"It appears that some of you know my name somewhat, yet I am aware of none of yours. It is only appropriate that it goes both ways. Who might you all be, then?"

@ERode @Pravitas

Last edited:
"Still seems a little crazy. But, I guess they can't just ask you to write an essay or whatever to prove you can actually do a good job with the psychic powers." Prier kept walking as she talked, her hands occupied well with her luggage so she couldn't fidget herself. "Tch. Took me days to get all the way here. And there's no way I'm going to get turned away now." She sounded determined, at least. And judging by the train of luggage, she either came very prepared, or with everything she owned.

The silence did hang for a while after that until the other girl, Claire as it turned out, blurted out her name. "Prier," the short redhead responded, and proceeded to move onward in relative silence. Seemed like neither of them was particularly gifted in conversation.

When the pair arrived at the building where ID checks were set up, Prier reached up and opened the door, holding it for Claire. "After you," she said.

@Kit-n-Kat

Claire nodded, pulling her messenger bag a bit tighter over her shoulder. Taking the other girl's name into mind, she ran it through her head a bit more and repeated it to herself. "Prier. Nice to meet you." She replied, still criticizing herself. 'Keep the ball rolling, and stop sounding so uptight.' Claire sighed, continuing the walk towards the ID check. Looking back to Prier's bags, Claire couldn't help but think that maybe that this girl was far too overprepared, or too hopeful. But, if she was anywhere as serious about going to this school as Claire was, there wouldn't be too much to worry about.

Having the door held Claire did a half-double take, nodding to Prier with a "Thank you." Once she got inside, Claire saw reception desk and pulled out her ID from her bag. Scanning it at the desk, she stepped aside and let Prier take her scan, though her eyes were shifted to the other girl's bags. It was somewhat impressive seeing a girl passively carrying bags using her abilities, but then again Claire's exposure was relatively limited compared to what it could be. "Impressive." She spoke, continuing on inside to the courtyard, where they were told they'd meet the headmaster.

'Sardine...?' Yvette thought to herself upon hearing Haruka's greeting to the girl. Giving her a second look over, it hit her. Anchovy Scarletfever — the current heir to the Scarletfever brand. News of them wasn't as widespread in the small Ohio city she grew up in, but she knew enough to know that the portable person the duo followed into the entrance building held great importance among many circles. It wasn't long before their names were asked by the prestigious girl. One such as herself attending an academy such as this — Yvette could only imagine what some of these people would be capable of once they got their hands on a variable.

"Yvette Lecce, though you can call me Eevee if you want." As the now trio approached the desks, the female of black hair retrieved her ID from the wallet she kept in her pocket. The woman manning the desk looked young in her years and of fair attraction. From her name tag, Eevee could see the receptionist's name was Eva.

After taking the prospect's ID and checking a few things on the computer in front of her, Eva handed Yvette her ID back. "Alright, everything checks out, Yvette Lecce. Good luck on your entrance exam!"

"Thank you, Eva!" Looking back over her shoulder at the pair ever so slightly, Yvette opted to wait by the doors leading to the school's "interior" for them. No point in going in alone, now.

Make allies when you arrive, or be alone when you inevitably make enemies.

@Crow @ERode

I order to get in, the various bags surged through the door in front of Prier while she held the door open. They resumed their positions behind her once she started walking again. She paused at reception to dig her wallet out of a pocket of her jeans and hand over an ID. She'd prepared that much ahead of time, at least. rummaging through the rest of her stuff now would have been far too disastrous.

Once past the checkpoint, Claire's comment brought a wide grin to Prier's face. "Nah, I'm just a total badass." And her mouth was too fast for any of the filters to catch that thought and point out it was a terrible idea. "Wait, shit," she hissed at herself under her breath. "Uh, I mean...I've had a good bit of practice on the trip up. I was dropping them or knocking them into things all the time when I started." It may just be that most people could see the absurd sight and give her a wide berth, as much as anything, but she certainly didn't have trouble keeping stuff organized. "Besides, what's the point of even having all this PK stuff if you're not gonna use it?"

This was the sort of thing she actually wanted to see at the Academy. Actual praise for doing something with her mind. Or at least, people not really caring about it. Better than getting in real trouble if you were caught. What the hell did her parents even have against it all, anyway?

She wouldn't admit that all she was usually doing was about the same as hauling something along with an arm. If she weren't standing still when she got everything through the door, she probably would've tripped from focusing on moving so many things at once instead of walking.

"Oh!" Haruka exclaimed, apologetic but not at all embarrassed, "Sorry bout that, Anchovy. I knew it was going to be a small fish, but I thought it was Sardine cause the alliteration and all. My bad, my bad."

Offering the small girl a firm handshake, the rose haired girl introduced herself as well, dipping her head into a shallow bow. "Haruka Fujiyama, representing Alaska. A true pleasure to meet such a famous person in...well, person!"

After introductions were made and IDs were swiped at the Reception, she found herself waiting for Sard- Anchovy by Eevee once more. Leaning against the glass door, she slid her amber eyes towards the bundle of papers before a mischievous glint flickered in her eyes.

"So, Ace Detective Yvette...those notes got any spoilers on entrance exam content?"

'Cocky little s-'

Mentally Claire was about to go off on the girl for taking a compliment so self-centered and irritatingly. She let out a quiet huff, but with Prier going back on what she said, Claire took a second to take a mental breather. Probably just a slip of the tongue, especially since she backed out of it almost immediately. Nothing to indicate that Prier was an asshole (at the moment at least), so there really wasn't too much go be upset about. She did have a point regarding KP, after all, but in Claire's experience it hadn't caused too much more than it was worth. The pain in the ass that comes with these kinds of abilities wasn't exactly equal to what it would be worth. Not here though. Now she could learn more practical uses it, and now she wouldn't be ridiculed for it.

It was at that point Claire had to ask about the bags, because it was kind of odd that someone would bring that much up despite having the potential to be denied. "Guessing you came from somewhere pretty out there?" She asked, still twirling her fingers around in her pockets as she hoped this whole social thing was working out properly. It wasn't that bad, Claire just had to roll a few things back and forth before actually saying that. This whole awkward pause deal wasn't gonna work with more people around, but practice could never hurt.

'The world is a dark and terrible place...'

Minato sat in the back seat of the limousine, one leg loosely hanging over the other and chin in hand. New York reminded him a lot of his home back in Tokyo. The bright lights, all of the latest technology, and even the people were the same. In the streets they'd walk right pass you, not bothering to you look you in the eyes. The same boring, and lifeless shamble. He hated New York and he hated Tokyo. He read classic novels in the past of people who grow up in suburban neighborhoods aspiring to go to the big city and see the bright lights. But it's all overrated. All of it.

"Sir," The elderly man behind the steering wheel spoke in Japanese, "We're almost at Psychen Academy sir, I'm sure your time spent studying English has paid off?"

"Hm?" Minato turned to look at the rear view mirror, catching the former Butler's eyes. "Ah," He began to speak in English, rather proficiently considering his lack of interaction with any English speaker other than his tutor. "I'm sure I'll be fine, Tokiyama." He pulled the sleeve of his suit up just enough to catch a glimpse of his watch. A few minutes late.

Perfect. Not like my reputation hangs in the balance.

Since the court casing Minato rued the day he hurt that boy. Every single day he would wake up to the same nightmare. Having to go to this school in the U.S so he wouldn't suffer any consequences (not like he had much of a choice anyways), forced to learn English-a god forsaken language-, and living with possible convictions on his shoulders.

Tokiyama pulled up to the school, wishing Minato good luck on the entrance exams, before driving off. The suited boy stood before the school grounds, taking little time to admire it. He walked off, the clacking of his shoes resonating off the cobblestone outside. He rushed to the building where they would have their ID's scanned, got through without a hitch, and finally in record time made it into the school's "interior".

He fixed his tie, and while catching his breath took the time to admire his surroundings. While he hated New York, he would have to admit, this school had some unbelievably beautiful architecture. Truly a school for those who were 'gifted' with these wonderful powers. It didn't take long for him to pick up on the words, "spoilers on entrance exam content". His half-lidded eyes quickly scanned over the faces of people. Surely, that could be useful. If he didn't pass this test, he would've failed already, and suffer the consequences. He had to pass

When he was able to pick up where it came from he found a strange and diverse group. A tall girl who towered over the other two, and from here was seemingly even taller than himself. A girl who...well...was she in the right place? He was positive there was no way she was any older than twelve. Then there was one who looked the most normal out of the bunch. Was she the note-keeper?

Minato was eager, and steadfast. He walked towards the group, stood behind the short blonde girl that unlike the others he didn't recognize at all, and tried to keep his cool, "Notes on the test?" He paused for a second and then moved a white curl from his hair away from his eyes, "Pardon me for the intrusion, I overheard that one of you may have...notes."