❜ 11月の雨 ✿ mono

@Almost Watson
ahh, thank you! just an FYI for you, most people don't post in other people's test threads unless given express permission c:

xx

As per usual, please follow the terms of service as set by Iwaku's staff. Any transgressions will be immediately reported to respective authorities. Sorry if I sound like a hardass, but that's just how I roll. I don't have much patience for rule-breakers.

This roleplay is extremely collaborative in nature. If you don't have the time to be present OOC, then I would recommend against joining this roleplay. Being open and friendly OOC is a must for this; if you don't feel welcome yet, just tell either of us privately and we'll help you out.

This roleplay is app-based; when you submit a reservation, your character concept will be evaluated to see if it will fit the world. Unfortunately, this means that some persons will be rejected or changes might be asked of you. Please take our criticism gracefully. We're honestly not trying to antagonize you; we're just looking for some very specific standards and qualities in our roleplayers.

The app process is divided into two sections: the public app and the PM'd information. The public app serves as a notification to interested parties on what kind of archetype you'll be covering so that we can prevent overlaps, so it will posted in the OOC. You can make allusions to your character's history (and encouraged to do so!), but primarily covers their personality. Please remember to turn off Rich Text Editor!

The PM, meanwhile, should be titled ▸┇ MEMENTO.MORI ⊹◞ character name and sent to [color=#c1c4b8]@Soli[/color] and [color=#c1c4b8]@monopoisoner[/color] in a shared conversation between the three of us. Please remember to turn off Rich Text Editor!

Only work on the CS once you've received the go-signal from either of us. Do not edit or change the CS any more than necessary, and please contact [color=#c1c4b8]@monopoisoner[/color] for any issues you might encounter while working on it. Further instructions will be found in the CS page.

Last edited by a moderator:
*rules

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE NUMBERS, AS THIS CONTAINS INFORMATION PERTINENT TO ALL MEMBERS AND APPS INTERESTED IN THIS ROLEPLAY.

As per usual, please follow the terms of service as set by Iwaku's staff. Any transgressions will be immediately reported to respective authorities. Sorry if I sound like a hardass, but that's just how I roll. I don't have much patience for rule-breakers.

This roleplay is extremely collaborative in nature. If you don't have the time to be present OOC, then I would recommend against joining this roleplay. Being open and friendly OOC is a must for this; if you don't feel welcome yet, just tell either of us privately and we'll help you out.

This roleplay is app-based; when you submit a reservation, your character concept will be evaluated to see if it will fit the world. Unfortunately, this means that some persons will be rejected or changes might be asked of you. Please take our criticism gracefully. We're honestly not trying to antagonize you; we're just looking for some very specific standards and qualities in our roleplayers.

The app process is divided into two sections: the public app and the PM'd information. The public app serves as a notification to interested parties on what kind of archetype you'll be covering so that we can prevent overlaps, so it will posted in the OOC. You can make allusions to your character's history (and encouraged to do so!), but primarily covers their personality. Please remember to turn off Rich Text Editor!

The PM, meanwhile, should be titled ▸┇ MEMENTO.MORI ⊹◞ character name and sent to [color=#c1c4b8]@Soli[/color] and [color=#c1c4b8]@monopoisoner[/color] in a shared conversation between the three of us. Please remember to turn off Rich Text Editor!
Only work on the CS once you've received the go-signal from either of us. Do not edit or change the CS any more than necessary, and please contact [color=#c1c4b8]@monopoisoner[/color] for any issues you might encounter while working on it. Further instructions will be found on the CS page.
© CODE MONOPOISONER | © MEMENTO MORI MONO & SOLI | © ART SUOU

I am haunted by humans.
MARKUS ZUSAK
THE BOOK THIEF

*app code
*pub code

絢瀬 葵 (Ayase Aoi)
lmao at the AA

沢村 優 (Sawamura Yuichi)

425x200.jpg
NAME: FIRST NAME LAST NAME AGE: REAPER TIME FACECLAIM: NAME (SOURCE)

This is where you begin writing about your character concept. I don't expect long blocks; in fact, I discourage it! I want to see concise writing wherein you'll be able to sell your character idea with a minimal amount of words. Feel free to allude to your character's past, but don't directly say it; let people draw their own conclusions. The main focus of this should be your character's personality though.

Please remember to turn off RTE when using this code, as there's a great likelihood it will break. The 425x200 image at the top should be replaced with an image of your character. Remember to tag @Soli and @monopoisoner when posting this. c:
memento mori

Welcome to memento mori, a roleplay run by mono and soli. Based around the concept of death gods, it takes on a darker slice of life atmosphere.
index

what does being a death god mean?
what's the line between being a ghost and a death god?
when does it finally end?
*appearance
How humans perceive death gods varies from person to person, with the most common being deceased loved ones. Culture and religious beliefs play major parts, so some may see a deity or figures like the hooded Grim Reaper.

The true appearance of death gods is completely human. It's based on a major event in their life rather than their age at death, which is why many death gods are around early 20's to late 40's where many of life's important stages occur.
*ghosts
There is a very fine line between ghosts and death gods. Ghosts can become death gods after being exorcised, whilst death gods can become ghosts if they're unable to accept the memories that will eventually plague them.

The main difference between the two is that ghosts continue to cling to life, while death gods run away from it.
*exorcism
Methods of exorcism vary between each death god, but they are all firmly rooted in existing religions. The paradigm they believed in while they were alive often translates to what they'll use to exorcise ghosts. This is less about their god "rewarding" their faith, and more about how it's easier to access their spiritual energy when they have a "path" to follow.

Agnostics and atheists possess weaker exorcism abilities, but can learn. However, most opt to go for a more soul weapon-based specialty rather than half-hearted purification abilities.
*origins
The true origins of death gods continues to be a mystery that will likely remain unsolved for the rest of eternity. However, it's quite easy to tell if one will become a death god. Suicide almost guarantees the fact, but any sort of regret that makes you run away from truly accepting life can qualify you for the job.
*communication
While humans sensitive to spiritual energy and the like can feel a death god's presence, it's impossible for the two to ever converse. Death gods hold no power in the mortal realm.

Humans only really see death gods when nearing death themselves. The earliest they can start seeing them is around an hour before they die. It's perfectly possible to never even see them.

All death gods have the ability to telepathically communicate with each other in addition to speaking normally. Much like a modern day chat program, they can turn on or off the mental link at anytime, and "mute" people if they want to. It's a painless, almost automatic process to connect with others like this, and it is unaffected by distance.
*ranks
Ghosts are assessed and ranked based on threat level and amount of power they have over the mortal plane.

D-C: have little sway in the physical world, usually only require a brief exorcism
C-B: have some ability in the physical world, usually requires some combat before exorcism
B-A: plenty of control in the physical world, definitely requires a coordinated team before exorcism
A-S: a ghost that threatens to rip the veil between the two worlds.

Death gods possess varying strengths as well, so higher level death gods may be able to handle low-level B's on their own.
*soul weapon
The term "weapon" is a bit of a misnomer, as they don't often take on the shape a lethal object. More frequently, they're items of some significance to the death god during their life. A librarian might use sheets of paper, a zookeeper a tiger; there's no real limit to them. The size of one's soul weapon is no indicator of strength.

Most of the time, these 'weapons' are used to separate souls from living bodies during their time of death. However, they are sometimes used to subdue more unruly ghosts to ready them for exorcism.

goodbye
Write anything you'd like here. If you're confident in your abilities to mess with my bb-code, feel free to adjust the positioning of this text. If you aren't, just arrange your crop around this, sorry! I can help you if you'd like. Feel free to change to goodbye to something else too.

short quote
SOURCE

exorcism: insert religion here
soul weapon: insert name here
faceclaim: name (source)
Write about your character's personality here. Feel free to go more in-depth and add additional details, like how they feel as a death god, losing their memories and anything else you feel is related. On another note, the image to the left is 250x600, while the one on top is 125x125 just so you don't forget.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​
exorcism
[religion here]
what resources do they use? any special chants?

soul weapon
[name of soul weapon here]
explain what exactly is it, how they use it, and what relevance does it have to them if this information is already available

In this section, write about what they currently know about their past life, little clues that would help other roleplayers draw some conclusions about your character. They could be wrong, they could be right, but that's the fun of it!
© USERNAME | © CODE MONOPOISONER | © MEMENTO MORI MONO & SOLI

goodbye
Welcome to memento mori, a roleplay run by mono and soli. Based around the concept of death gods, it takes on a darker slice of life atmosphere.

even death has a heart
MARKUS ZUSAK, THE BOOK THIEF

what if life doesn't really end after death?
what do you have to do to finally rest?
CS can be found by clicking this link. Remember to turn off RTE or this will become a sodding mess x(

Please change all #1460ef to your preferred hexcode using this website.

Anyway, the image on the left side is 250x600, please replace with an image you feel fits with your color scheme. The 125x125 image on the upper right side should be of your character. The username at the bottom is yours, because that's your character after all and no one should take it without permission.

The text on the large image to the left can be of anything you want, and you're free to adjust the area it's floating on if it's awkward. The coding, however, is a bit sensitive so I don't recommend it if you're not confident in your abilities. If you want help, just tell me and I should be able to play the knight in shining armor to your damsel in distress.

Please don't hesitate to ask for help if the code breaks or any similar situations. c: That's what I'm here for! Worse comes to worst I'll just copy-paste everything into a fresh code. c:

Finally, please don't recycle or take this code without permission. I'd be genuinely unhappy to see any reproduction of this at its current state. This may change as time goes on and my abilities improve, but right now I'd rather not have anyone copy this. I'm sorry!

app.jpg
NAME: HARUKA KAMIKITA AGE: 2 YEARS FACECLAIM: MIKA KAGEHIRA (ENSEMBLE STARS!)

Haruka is the guy who everyone can call their friend, his smile frequent and his words always positive, said with enough humor to stop himself from coming off as forced. Though he doesn't completely understand it himself, he feels the need to be kind, to sympathize and understand others. He helps the newbies, mediates arguments and tries to be a little sunshine in their dark occupation.

In some ways, his smile could represent his escapist nature. As long as he can keep smiling, all of his problems aren't there. Or if they are, they will eventually resolve themselves given enough time. Confrontations have never been his strong point; he'd just as well let them beat him up than try to defend himself. The courage to take the plunge, to admit the truth, to say how he feels, has never been something he wanted.

Though a coward, he hides behind a cheerful front. He hesitates to lead any soul, fearing another memory. He recognizes that the latter half of his life was filled with pain and misery, and does not wish to relive any of it. It's fine if he's stuck as a death god for the rest of eternity; at least he would never have to face the realities of what he did.
memento mori

child
To depart without giving a reason why is to leave a curse on those you leave behind.

the dead don't reply
PROJECT ITOH, GENOCIDAL ORGAN

exorcism: roman catholic
soul weapon: porcelain doll
faceclaim: mika kagehira (ensemble stars!)
The smile he paints on his face day after day is simply disguise. He's a coward. He whispers it in the quiet, unheard by anyone except himself. He stifles this self-deprecating urge underneath kindness and a forced smile, believing that he shouldn't trouble anyone else with his own problems. He seeks to help others instead, to sympathize with their plight. He knows it has ties to his past, but it's an issue he'd rather run away from than confront.

Haruka runs from his problems like a prey might from its predators. He pretends they don't exist, hoping they'll eventually resolve themselves or lay forgotten by everyone. With a friendly joke and a smooth change of subject, he deflects inquiries, cursing how naturally the lies came to him. Yet the courage to take the plunge, to admit the truth, to say how he feels, has never been something he wanted. He knows it's pathetic, and hates himself for it. But anything to run away from the demons of his former life.

exorcism
[roman catholic]
(1) haruka primarily uses holy water when exorcising and liberally sprays the ghost with the liquid
(2) depending on how strong the ghost is and the amount of water used, it can stun them temporarily to outright cleanse them

soul weapon
[porcelain doll]
(1) a pretty porcelain doll he affectionately calls his sunshine
(2) haruka positions the doll beside the dying human; once their death comes, he gently closes its eyes and the soul separates from the corporeal body
(3) the doll is ill-suited for combat; the most it does is temporarily stun enemies when they stare into its eyes

Haruka has few memories of his former life, and for that he's thankful. He's made sure to keep it minimal. The few that have seeped through the cracks, however, have made him fearful of what's to come. They came in no particular order, although he has a rough idea of how they are in the timeline of his life.

He remembers a city skyline, and the endlessly orange backdrop that was the sky. An autumn bite blows against his face. He can feel a grief that cuts through him like a knife, his legs locked stiff and his hands shaking uncontrollably, but not from the cold. Fear and guilt make the bile rise in his throat, but he can't do anything but breathe. No tears, no words, no sound.

His next memory is one that feels happy, if a bit melancholic. The light pain of pricking his finger on a needle, simply spraying disinfectant and slapping a bandaid on with practiced ease. A quick perusal shows many of his fingers sporting several different colors of first aid. The material in his hand is bunched as he tries to manipulate it into ruffles. There's a simple pleasure as he worked, the voice in his headphones making him laugh on several occasions. He knows it's a rather early memory, as the ID on the bed is from a junior high.

And finally, several short intermittent memories of being at home alone, his fingers on the keyboard and the lights off. He resents his parents, some featuring shouting wherein he simply accepted it as he attempted to tune them out as he browsed. Haruka finds peace on the screen, although his memories failed to tell him exactly what was on the monitor. Some were games, he was certain. There were moments of bitter pain, and then episodes where he felt satisfied.
© MONOPOISONER | © CODE MONOPOISONER | © MEMENTO MORI MONO & SOLI

Real life was so much harder than online, that was for certain. Online, all one needed was a single shared interest to become friends; here, even if they knew each other preferences in and out, they couldn't even keep much of a conversation flowing. Ryuuji could only be grateful as Kiki took his bait, chatting about her work. It was even better that he was now genuinely interested; he'd known she was good at mixing, but he hadn't realized she had a professional background on it.

The blond mentioned it, surprise and admiration lightly coloring his mellow voice. "No wonder you're good at mixing; I'm pretty much self-taught so everything I know I learnt online." He'd played with the idea of covering his own songs once, but promptly shot it down. He had little confidence in his songs, much less his own voice. No amount of editing could inflate someone's confidence in their singing. He knew that himself, in his feeble (and private) attempts at covering songs. He stuck to doing arrangements; that, at least, he had a fair hand in.

The drive was relatively short, conversation flowing between them in short but at least continuous steps. Soon enough they were rolling into the driveway of the sharehouse.

house.jpg
mono
hana.jpg

A quaint two-story house, with an attached area that looked to be a cafe based on the sign. Upon further perusal, there were words written on the van they were on: The Flower Vase. It didn't take long until someone stepped out to investigate, their flowing pink hair trailing after them as they greeted Ryuuji and Kiki.

The voice that greeted them was a bit... unexpected considering how cute and sweet the landlord appeared to be. "You finally got here." The deep bark could freak those who weren't used to it, but Ryuuji managed to keep a straight face even as she tried to gauge Kiki for her reaction. Despite how Hana looked, he was 100% male. He just had a knack for switching his voice to sound cutesy when he wanted, a running gag in the cafe he managed alongside the sharehouse.

"Unlike you, I prefer to drive on the safe side of the law." Immediately, Ryuuji regretted the words as Hana's green eyes took on a steely glint, scurrying over to open the back hatch and get Kiki's things. He handed her the lighter of the luggage, and then took the brunt of it himself. While they were under the cover of the van, Ryuuji gave the newbie a warning he was sure she'd appreciate. "That's our landlord, Nakamura Hana. I'm not entirely sure if Hana's his real first name, but if you value your life, you'll call him that."

irie.jpg

Name: Irina Dmitrievna Nikolaeva
Nationality: Russian
Sexual Orientation: Demisexual

Height: 163 cm
Weight: 50 kg
Hair Color: White
Eye Color: Light Blue-Gray
Fashion Style:
Irie prefers clothes that are simple and comfortable yet don't appear lazy. As a result, her clothes are typically neutral in color to make it easier to focus on the silhouette and over-all appearance. Plain pleated skirts, loose button downs, square neck dresses; her clothes are as appropriate for school as they are for a casual day out. The only real determining factor are her shoes, which she freely admits she's extremely picky about.

Personality:
Irie's quiet nature is not an aversion to people; she simply has no real feelings towards them, whether animosity or companionship. The white-haired girl is the kind of person who you could be seatmates with the entire year, yet never exchange more than a few words with. She doesn't indulge in small talk, and only really strikes conversation if something or someone interests her. It's rare, but it does happen. Surprisingly, she's not prone to monosyllabic answers. She will truly take her time to fully explain her thoughts and convictions, but she doesn't quite know how to phrase it so that others can discuss it alongside her.

Thanks to her single-mindedness, the young teen is frequently careless and forgetful. If a book has her by the throat, she'll forget to eat and sleep unless someone drags her out of her self-induced trance. It's gotten so bad that she has a self-declared reading moratorium whenever exams roll around. It doesn't help that once she gets fixated on one thing, it's incredibly difficult to pull her attention away from it. And this is primarily why she's been banned by her classmates from the hands-on part of alchemy/chemistry/cooking... much to her own chagrin. Still, that doesn't stop her from trying these things at her own time, often with disastrous results.

Likes: History, chemistry, ice and snow, understanding youma, calcified heart stones, flying, calligraphy
Dislikes: Humid weather, English, running, house of mirrors, onions
Hobbies: Reading, collecting whatever suits her fancy for the month
Talents: Math, or anything logic-oriented really. If she bothers to, her memory is fairly sharp. Her hand is also incredibly steady and does well in calligraphy and art if she wanted.

lull.jpg

Magical Girl Alias: Lull
Heartstone: A quill with a longer than normal pure white feather. The smallest movement could be a mighty gust of wind, depending on Irie's own whims. Truthfully she wishes she could use it while untransformed so she could fan herself whenever it got too hot.
Mastery: Air

Utility Spells:
Aerokinetic Flight - Using the wind, she propels herself to the skies and remains there to oversee the battle from above. For someone bad at multi-tasking, she's gained quite a bit of mastery in using it alongside her other abilities.
Temperature - Adjust the temperature of the air around her to be more palatable, which will frequently happen around summer time. Just be warned that people who dislike the cold should probably stay away from her. While theoretically she can change the temperature to various extremities, she's not immune to frostbite or spontaneous combustion.
Atmosphere Adaptation - Manipulate oxygen molecules to enter her respiratory system in cases where breathing would be a difficulty (ie. smoke, high altitudes)

Minor Masteries:
Aerokinetic Constructs - creates a patch of wind that's almost solid, and uses it to create things like balls, darts or even a shield
Air Molecule Manipulation - moves molecules to encourage certain reactions to happen, such as rubbing oxygen molecules against each other near a fire. Ideally used as a support to other magical girls.

Medium Masteries:
Gust - A large sweep of wind that will knock lighter opponents off their feet.
Vacuum - Remove all molecules in a particular area to create a vacuum. Irie can only do this in a limited space for a short time frame, as it's a lot harder to prevent and block all molecules vs moving some of them somewhere else, as what she usually does.

Major Masteries:
Whirlwind - Summons a tornado that wreaks havoc on everything in its path, whether friend or foe.

Character Bio:
Irina was born to an officer of the Military Police, and she continues to say this with great pride should the subject of family come up. Her mother lost an arm in her service yet that did not stop her from raising Irie as a she should. Her father's typically persona non grata in her mother's presence, but despite the divorce he frequently calls and sends his daughter presents when appropriate. All in all, fairly normal except for that one incident that bore fruit to Irie's heart stone.

It was the first and last time the MP tried to recruit Irina's mother back into service. Until now, she remembers it clearly; the anger she felt, and that sense of betrayal when she thought her mother might accept and leave her alone. She formed the quill, and blasted the recruitors, who thankfully took it with a laugh and gracefully accepted her mother's rejection. It only made sense that once she came of age, she would be sent to her mother's alma mater.

She hated being separated from her family and country, but she adapted. The multiples of books she read, the lessons in Japanese as she struggled to be more fluent - she ate those hungrily to assuage the desire to run back home. Eventually, she found peace in the academy, and relaxed in its day to day pace.

Sample Post:
Irie breathes in, then out. Her muscles feel stiff, and she could feel bruises hidden by magic on her arms and leg from the battle only hours before. Being Lull didn't feel so much like a transformation but more a change of clothes; no matter how much she changed outside, Irie still felt whatever had been done to her magical girl counter part. If that involved being hurled a couple of yards or so, then the human part of her was sure to complain even if no evidence showed it.

Yet here she was again, battling yet another Youma alongside her team. The steady stream of missions was supposed to be "practice" for real life, where you could go on call at a moment's notice. When she got back home, she would indulge in a long hot bath, then some tea and a book.

"Lull, what the heck are you thinking about with that dreamy look in your eye?" Green eyes flick towards the girl beside her: some fire girl. Unfortunately, her name escaped her, as was the case with most members of the team. She at least remembered their faces, if that was anything.

"I was thinking about what I want to do afr-" Her words were forcibly cut short by a strong wave of power, sending her out of the air and straight into the ground. Ouch.

"Pay attention to the battle." With that, fire chick leaves her to her own devices, joining the rest of the team in their brawl. Irie mutters curses in her mothertongue as she dusts herself off, once again lifting herself off the ground. She already knew how bad she was at multi-tasking; she shouldn't waste it chatting up her teammates. "Next time, I'm just going to pretend they're mute." And with that, she joined the fray. If the last explosion cut it a little too close to fire chick, well, she'd gladly admit it was her fault.

main.png
Hello and welcome to satisfaction, a little shop I decided to start up in between procrastinating on posts and having too much free time. anyway, All I ask is respect + following the tos, and we should be good to go!

★ ★ ★​
I can do graphics of almost anything, and coding if your idea interests me enough to invest personal time. No offence if I reject your order; I'm doing this for fun and if I don't think I'll enjoy working on your order, I'd rather nip that issue at the bud rather than getting your hopes up for something I'll probably end up shelving.

Click the links to the right to get a grasp of what i can do!

★ ★ ★​
I do better with loose parameters to keep in mind! but if you get too specific with your vision with not enough leeway for me to work with, I'll probably drop your order. Just copy and paste the thing below to order something from me. c:

[b][color=#EC0D0A]★[/color] REQUEST[/b]
[indent]what kind of work are you looking for? a character banner? a roleplay ad? a hair color change?[/indent]

[b][color=#EC0D0A]★[/color] SIZE[/b]
[indent]is there a certain size I should keep in mind? you don't have to be specific[/indent]

[b][color=#EC0D0A]★[/color] TEXT[/b]
[indent]do i have to include text somewhere? character name? a quote?[/indent]

[b][color=#EC0D0A]★[/color] OTHER[/b]
[indent]anything else you care to add, like themes, style it like one of my samples, a due date, that sort of thing.[/indent]

★ ★ ★​
Just here to reiterate that I do have the right to reject your order. I may also deviate from something you request if I have a very strong vision of how I want it to look. If you're not comfortable with those, then I don't think I'm the person you want.

main.png
ACCEPTING
USERNAME / ORDER LINK / PERCENTAGE FINISHED / EST​

MY PROJECTS
HEART THIEF / NONE / 0% / END ME SOLI
CHASING CONSTELLATIONS / NONE / 15% / IDK EITHER​

NICO MATSUMOTO
PRETTY BANNER COMING IN THE STORE NEAREST YOU

The clink of china and crystalware provided a lovely accompaniment to the sights in the garden. Overhead, woodland violets and deep red orchids tumbled on the pergola, held together by magic. The Myers mansion stood behind it all, regal in its structure yet with touches of fancy for the dreamer in all, providing a warm home to those it welcomed. The sun had yet to fully rise, and in this dawn the four friends partook in breakfast as they all outlined their plans for the day.

Or by Nico's interpretation, they bullied him into accepting the Silver Heart Circle's invitation.

"I'm sorry, but as much as I want I can't be absent from the Maj of Tennessee meeting." With her short red hair cut in a stylish bob, Leila took a small bite of her omelette before continuing. "Myers' responsibility and all. So just tell me all about it when you get back home. I've already written my reply in that letter, and so has Taylor I believe?"

With a tumble of black curls cascading past her shoulder, the young potions mistress nodded. "I'm really sorry, you know I can't turn down a request from Madame Smith, especially in this emergency." They all knew the story; some enterprising young student blew up a good portion of Ilvermony's potions supplies and they were in a mad scramble to replace the stock before the coming exams. Just last night she'd been informed of the news, and Taylor would spend today contacting her suppliers and checking her own stock to see how she could help.

The three letters stacked just ahead of his plate made him lose his appetite, and he absently pushed and poked at his food as he listened to the conversations occurring around him. While he realized they were all speaking to him, they also knew that he wouldn't talk more than he believed was really necessary. That was both a blessing and a curse, as no one really thought to ask if he even wanted to join the SHC. They simply assumed he would if they all did.

And it annoyed him that they were absolutely right.

Ryan, sensing his sullen mood, reached across the table to pat his head in a brotherly gesture. "Don't worry about it. They're generally nice people who can just be a little too... passionate at times."

[bcolor=#908b9f]"Like yourself."[/bcolor] Nico's dry tone brought a grin to his friend's face.

"Well, I am a passionate man." As if to prove his point, he greedily gulped down the entirety of his glass of orange juice. A pitcher on the table floated and approached him, gently pouring additional refreshments into everyone's glasses. "It's best to just enjoy things as they come, Nico. You spend too much time worrying; eat! I don't want to puking acid if you get sick from using the portkey. I'm not too good at the entire caring and comforting thing. And I don't want to have to clean that up off the carpet."

With a resigned sigh, he viciously speared a slice of sausage with his fork, forcing himself to eat. Ryan had a point; he would only be making himself more miserable by not eating. So he ate, and found himself slowly relaxing as the conversation turned away from the SHC and onto more typical struggles. There would be time enough later to feel anxious. And worried. And stressed. But he'd bury that for now.

- - - -

He'd forgotten how much he hated portkeys. Nico sat on the sofa, taking a moment to catch his breath and stop his stomach from recoiling in shock. They'd wound up in Ryan's New York apartment, only a couple of blocks away from the meeting place. The three letters sat in his coat pocket, and they felt heavier than the head currently accommodating a dizzying headache.

Eventually, he found his feet once again, and he headed downstairs with Ryan, who looked comfortable with the crowds as if he belonged there.

[bcolor=#908b9f]"Damn Yank."[/bcolor] Nico joined him on the street, saying it just loud enough for the native New Yorker to hear.

A glint of amusement shone in his eye before Ryan pocketed his hands, instinctively perusing the crowd for suspicious activity. This was, after all, a covert meeting. "For your information, New York was not part of New England. And you have to know that sounds really weird coming from your mouth considering you look just about as American as a kimono. Even if you do have that drawl."

The travelled the rest of the way in comfortable silence. Nico barely had a chance to study the building's impressive facade before being dragged inside, greeted by a woman whose face was a blur. Ryan simply led the way to a set of double doors inlaid with eyes that seemed to follow your every move even as they lay still.

"Alrighty, in you go." Ryan looked expectantly at his reluctant figure.

[bcolor=#908b9f]"Don't you think that door looks really suspicious?"[/bcolor] Gray eyes showed obvious fear and trepidation at having to enter.

"Nico, if you don't enter within three seconds, I'm blasting that door open for you. Three."

[bcolor=#908b9f]"Wait. Give me a moment to catch my bre-"[/bcolor]

"Two."

[bcolor=#908b9f]"Ryan!"[/bcolor]

"One!" Without even flinching, Ryan pushed the doors open with one large sweep. When the two had the rooms' occupants' full attention, he let out a grin in a comical disparity with Nico's clear embarrassment. Ryan simply greeted the two women already inside, then quickly bid farewell.

[bcolor=#908b9f]"You're leaving?"[/bcolor] Disbelief dripped from every word.

"Of course I am. I'm not doing it again." And with that statement in the air, he apparated out, leaving Nico stupefied and staring at the space he once occupied. After a moment or two, he closed his mouth and slunk into one of the chairs, burying his face in his hands in pure mortification. Leave it to Ryan to make a mess of things for him and find absolute delight in doing so.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: rissa
藤の嵐 (fuji no arashi)
pukwudgie
Alder wood with a Wampus hair core 11 ¼" and Slightly Yielding flexibility
aardvark omg WHY IS IT SO CUTE AHAHHHA
wisteria, a meadow of grass, the soft scents of a kitchen making soup
his father, cheerfully waving goodbye as he's blown away by the wind

choices for fave spells:
accio, locomotor, orchideous, reparo, scourgify

Personal Information

Name: Nico Matsumoto
Nickname(s): Nico, Nick
DOB/AGE: April 4 / Twenty-four
Place of Birth: Tennessee, USA
Blood Status: Pure
Race/Ethnicity: Half-American and half-Japanese, although born and bred in America

Height/Weight: 5'10 / 155 lbs
Eye Color: Dark Gray
Hair Color/Style/Length: Brown, short and minimally styled
Physical Description: With a lanky frame and an almost undetectable presence, a soft spring breeze could seemingly blow his slight form away. Years of preferring the indoors and a natural predisposition towards lighter skin has left him pale, almost to the point of being sickly.

Personality:

Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Skills/Talents:

Friends:
Family:

History:

Miscellaneous Information
Pet(s): white cat
Boggart: friends and family happily waving goodbye
Patronus: aardvark
Amortentia: flowers, a meadow of grass, the soft scents of a kitchen making soup
Misc. Powers:
Favorite Spells: accio, orchideous, reparo, scourgify
Ilvermorny House: pukwudgie
Wand: Alder wood with a Wampus hair core 11 ¼" and Slightly Yielding flexibility

• Love
Reactions: rissa
藤の嵐FUJI NO ARASHI
STORM OF WISTERIA

sidebar.jpg

NICO MATSUMOTO
[bcolor=#908b9f] MALE ▪ 4TH OF APRIL ▪ 24 [/bcolor]
placeofbirth tennessee, usa
bloodstatus pure
ethnicity japanese-american

height five feet eleven
weight 155 pounds
eyecolor dark gray
hairstyle short, brown
It is painfully easy to define human beings. They are beings who, for no good reason at all, create their own unnecessary suffering.
NATSUME SŌSEKI, I AM A CAT III

Quiet is the first word that comes to mind when one thinks of Nico, even on a purely physical aspect. His lanky frame, gentle eyes and pale skin does not encourage attention. He fades into the background, dressing in soft grays and neutrals as if to conform to his role in life. Sap stains or planting dirt often cling to his sweater and jeans, but he says that's what scourgify and tergeo are for.

His slight build is both his own laziness and a natural genetic predisposition towards it, having preferred to use his wand to carry objects than his own hands. Despite that, he prefers to cut and haul flora and fauna with his own hands, lending a bit of strength to those thin arms and a delicate touch to long fingers. Nico perpetually smells like the coming of spring; cool and crisp, with just a hint of flowers to bring hope.

Whenever I was asked what I wanted my first impulse was to answer "Nothing." The thought went through my mind that it didn't make any difference, that nothing was going to make me happy.
OSAMU DAZAI, NO LONGER HUMAN

Soft words leave Nico's lips, his hesitance evident in every dip of his voice and stress of each syllable. The very air around him seems to still. With measured movements, he thinks and slowly considers what to do next. It's rare to see any certainty in the brunette - reluctance seems to be a constant weight on his shoulders. Once the spotlight is off him, he only sighs in relief before relinquishing the stage, content in his role as an audience. Like the softest spring breeze, the young wizard would be happy to simply be felt with only the slightest of acknowledgements.

Nico loathes his own passive take on life, but fears change and pressure. Responsibility feels like a noose that threatens to choke him, and disappointment would be the poison to finish him off. He seeks the approval of others, often to the detriment of his own happiness, and chooses to avoid confrontation at all costs. Words like "pushover" and "pacifist" are often thrown around in his presence, but Nico knows the truth; he hides behind others so that he doesn't have to look at himself. He uses others' desires as a shield so if he ever finds himself unhappy, he can put the blame on them.

The shackles that bind him to his practice are more comforting than confining. With his fear of change comes fear of the unknown. Nico rarely desires more. And if he does, he reminds himself to be content with what he has. He's as stagnant as Westcreek, his hometown, itself, only expressing his passion in the solitude of his greenhouse. With pale fingers tinged with green and nicked in every which way, he uses the many plants he has at his disposal to assist others in whatever endeavor.

He hates himself, but refuses to confess where others might hear. So he continues to feign ignorance, playing the role of a typical airhead; perpetually lost in his daydreams, his feet rare to touch the ground. Where others of his kind might be building castles in the air, he simply pretends to do so.

xxxx