100,000 bats fall

Did they drop dead, or just drop? :?

What the heck.... It had to have been at night, right?

Here is the article

By Jonathan Pearlman, Sydney

About 100,000 bats have fallen from the sky and died during a heatwave in Australia that has left the trees and earth littered with dead creatures.

In scenes likened to "an Alfred Hitchock thought bubble", a heatwave across the north-east state of Queensland in recent days caused mass deaths of flying foxes from an estimated 25 colonies.

"It's a horrible, cruel way to die," a conservation worker, Louise Saunders, told The Courier Mail.

"Anything over 43 degrees [Celsius, 109F] and they just fall. We're just picking up those that are just not coping and are humanely euthanising what we can."

Health experts have warned residents not to touch the dead creatures amid concerns about the spread of virus or bites and scratches from bats that may still be alive. At least 16 people have been are receiving antiviral treatment after coming into close contact with a bat.

-----------------------

"If you find a bat it is very important not to touch it because of the risk of infection with Australian bat lyssavirus," the state's chief health officer, Dr Jeannette Young, told APN.

"Some bats may appear dead but they are not and when people have attempted to remove them they have been bitten or scratched. Bats also have a claw on their wings which is a frequent cause of injury."

The stench from the rotting carcasses has begun to disturb residents of Brisbane and large towns. Authorities have dispatched rubbish collectors to pick up thousands of carcasses from populated areas.

The RSPCA said the heatwave could have a devastating effect on the state's wildlife.

"The heatwave was basically a catastrophe for all the bat colonies in south-east Queensland," a spokesman, Michael Beatty, told ABC News.

"That's obviously going to have a pretty disturbing impact on those colonies and those colonies are vital to our ecosystem."

note : ((All writing written and found on the link posted above, not written by me))

I would be scared as hell if a ton of bats fell on me in the middle of the night...

and you can't say you called me senpai without a grin... I imagine it was funny to type.

I would be scared as hell if a ton of bats fell on me in the middle of the night...

and you can't say you called me senpai without a grin... I imagine it was funny to type.

ok you got me..I felt epic typing, Senpai. :) As for bats falling on me in the middle of the night...yea thats quite the buzz kill if you ask me. lol.

Then I guess I made the right decision with my username!

Just imagine, walking home with some friends, and the friggin' batpocalypse happens overhead... then you get a virus from the bats... >>

• Love
Reactions: Minibit
There's been a bit of that across the world over the past few years. Whether it be scores of fish turning up dead, or birds falling dead from the sky.

It's sad, but I don't think anyone really knows what's killing these animals.

There's been a bit of that across the world over the past few years. Whether it be scores of fish turning up dead, or birds falling dead from the sky.

It's sad, but I don't think anyone really knows what's killing these animals.

Yes, across the US it has been happening by fungus and a mold that grows in there sinus cavities, which then wakes them from their hibernation and makes them fly out into the cold and freeze in the snow or in huddled masses outside of the caves. but never in the Hundred thousands, this is level with the schools of fish washing up on finland's and indonesia's shores. It's a Massive amount and people should be aware, Not worry. I don't do this to scare people, My only goal is to help People be more aware of the world so that perhaps they are somewhat better prepared for anything. Everything is connected, so with that many bats having dropped dead, the bugs are going to run rampant in that area of Australia.