1-2 Sentence Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, there is very little rational reason to purchase three gallons of French dressing from Costco, or a ten pound bag of chocolate milk mix.

I'm not saying those items though. I am saying things like Toilet Paper and Paper Towels. And things you'll regularly use. Buying 1 roll of paper towels every week, versus buying a big bag that will last at least 2 months. Makes more sense. The advice should have been more specified. Because even I don't buy three gallons of French dressing. I am talking about there is items you should buy in bulk and items you shouldn't.

Just because you can buy it in bulk, doesn't mean you should.
buying in bulk is cheaper than buying it separately.
Windsong isn't saying to never buy anything in bulk. He's using the classic "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" point. Yes, you can buy ten gallons of milk, and it might even be cheaper, but unless you're a milk fiend, you'll likely not use it all before it goes bad.

The words are "can" and "should." Not "do" and "do not."

He also didn't specify any specific product, because this thread is dedicated to really short snippits of advice. I could tell you scores of products to buy in bulk and scores of products not to buy in bulk, but that's not exactly concise as the thread asks for, now is it? :ferret:

On that note...

Piece of Advice: Always sharpen your reading skills, and always read something twice before you open your mouth and have an opinion on it.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Windsong
Obviously buying non perishables in bulk when the opportunity arises is good. What fool only buys one roll of toilet paper anyway?

Lemme clarify for those who need the nitty gritty on basic advice..

• Don't buy food with a short shelf life in bulk when you are incapable of eating it all in a timely fashion before it reaches its expiration date and thus is a waste of money to have spent on buying such a large quantity.
  • Always check before using the last of the toilet paper.
  • Buy lots of it
  • Also baby wipes
  • They leave your anus, sphincter, and cheeks fresh and poo free. Assuming you use a loo at all.

Windsong isn't saying to never buy anything in bulk. He's using the classic "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" point. Yes, you can buy ten gallons of milk, and it might even be cheaper, but unless you're a milk fiend, you'll likely not use it all before it goes bad.

The words are "can" and "should." Not "do" and "do not."

He also didn't specify any specific product, because this thread is dedicated to really short snippits of advice. I could tell you scores of products to buy in bulk and scores of products not to buy in bulk, but that's not exactly concise as the thread asks for, now is it? :ferret:

On that note...

Piece of Advice: Always sharpen your reading skills, and always read something twice before you open your mouth and have an opinion on it.

Then I'd word it;

Don't buy perishables in bulk. <----that's one sentence as well

Piece of advice; touche. Sharpen up how you fucking write something.

Then I'd word it;

Don't buy perishables in bulk. <----that's one sentence as well

Bruh. You're literally the only one who didn't get that.

- If there are multiple parallel parking spots, don't park in the one in the middle. Be kind.
- If you have a small kitchen with little counter space, you can make an extra counter by pulling out a drawer and placing your cutting board on it. Its handy for holidays.
- Saying its "worth" does not always make it worth. Gamers know what I'm talking about.
- Canvas bags are an amazing invention and need to be used more for groceries and things.
- Always check and recheck source materials even if you "know" the information is right.
- If its against the ToS, don't do it. Just don't.

Alright, alright. Relax. It was all in jest, just meant to point out that there was simply a misinterpretation of what Windsong said. Happens to everybody, myself included. Nothing more. :ferret:

Anyway, derailing. Back on topic.

--Don't take out your anger on the things you own, you're the only one who will pay for it.
--You have to value yourself before others can see any value in you. After all, if you don't care about yourself, why should they?
--Take up some physical hobby, of some sort. Failing that, workout: A refined mind can only benefit from a healthy body.
--Never limit yourself to one point of view on any topic. The more viewpoints you know, the richer your world view.

Go to the dentist once a year for a cleaning and checkup. Otherwise you're going to have to drop a thousand bucks for a deep cleaning and cavity fillings even with insurance covering partial. >:[

Reactions: Windsong
C'mon guys, every advice will have exceptions, some of them will even only be useful in super specific situations, that doesn't make them bad advice!

Anyway this isn't a debate thread

• You don't need the last word in order to "win"
  • Keep in touch with the people you love. Even if it's just sending them silly pictures.
  • Don't make decisions when you're angry
  • Don't make promises when you're happy
  • Don't be afraid to be wrong
  • Learn to do small repairs on your clothes. Fixing pocket holes and stuck zippers alone will save money and headaches
  • Understand every contract you sign
  • Don't be ashamed of things that make you happy
  • It's okay to ask for help when you need it
  • Don't judge people's decisions when you don't know what their options were

- Phrasing is key... Some things can be taken in a much different way than intended, if you are not carefull with your words.

- Time can run away from you if you don't keep an eye on it every now and then... It is strongly advised to do so, lest your entire life runs by you.

- Sometimes, words, and even actions can be decieving, what someone looks to be doing, may not be what the intended to do.

- Choose your battles carefully, not all differences can be solved properly with aggression.

- Look from both perspectives; in nearly any situation, especially involving interaction with one or more people, it's just as important to understand the other(s) you're interacting with, as it is to understand yourself.

- It's okay to take risks... As long as the costs are understood beforehand.

- There are times, where the only way to win... Is to lose.

- Everyone is human, they make mistakes... However, in order to avoid them from repeating again, one must learn from them... To forget the lessons of the past, is to welcome the same tragedies in the future.

- While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so are you... But what you choose to do in light of yours, can decide how people view it.

(that's all I can think of for now >.< sorry if any of these things have been said before, or if I just botched wording something terribly xD)

Status
Not open for further replies.