Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Today's exercise is about a character's experience with SWIMMING!

Detail out your chosen character's experience and knowledge about swimming.

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

• Do they know how to swim?
  • If they do, how did they learn?
  • If they don't, why not? No reason to? Never a chance? A fear of water?
  • Do they LIKE swimming?
  • Have they ever had a bad swimming experience?
  • Have they ever almost drowned before?
  • What was their first swimming experience like?
  • Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water?

• Love
Reactions: ElBell
Stellani
  • Do they know how to swim? Knows how to float and front crawl, but nothing more
  • If they do, how did they learn? Her mother taught her
  • If they don't, why not? No reason to? Never a chance? A fear of water? Just not that interested
  • Do they LIKE swimming? She doesn't NOT like it; it's just not something she goes out of her way to do.
  • Have they ever had a bad swimming experience? Does falling into a muddy slough full of leeches and bugs count?
  • Have they ever almost drowned before? No
  • What was their first swimming experience like? Lessons at the swimming hole with her mother when she was five; warm memories.
  • Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water? Stellani's relationship with water/swimming is functional; she swims because there is water in between where she is and where she wants to go: she doesn't play in the water because she has no interest in it.

• Thank You
Reactions: Diana
  • Do they know how to swim?
Lyth knows the basic front crawl, back crawl and breast stroke. Anything fancier than that he doesn't see a point for.
  • If they do, how did they learn?
He was put into swimming lessons when he was quite young. He quit when he hit his mid teens, but he still retains the ability.
  • Do they LIKE swimming?
Lyth's not against it, but he finds it boring without some sort of other activity happening.
  • Have they ever had a bad swimming experience?
He crashed his old glider into a lake once. It filled with water before he could get his harness off and nearly drowned on his way to the surface. Lyth was more angry at the person who shot him down than terrified though.
  • Have they ever almost drowned before?
See above. There was also another time in Zenem where he pissed off one of the locals and they held him beneath the shore until he stopped thrashing.
  • What was their first swimming experience like?
A lot of splashing and flailing, with his instructor coming out with a black eye due to a well placed kick.
  • Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water?
He needs something other than swimming to keep him interested. Some kind of competition, game or sport. So, yes, he likes to fool around in the water.

This should be fun with a hydriad character >:)

+Do they know how to swim?
Instinctually, yes. As a creature still evolving to live on land rather than under water, some of Calista's traits from a time living in water have stayed behind with her. Gills, water controlling abilities, and you guessed it, swimming!​

+If they do, how did they learn?
It came as a natural instinct, but she refined her skills to be more effective and efficient when she was little, living by the river with her family as her and her siblings splashed around with their father. She can swim in various ways, but she prefers to dolphin kick like her older sister Emberlynn, whereas her other siblings all kick flutter style. It was just how she practiced.​

+Do they LIKE swimming?
Not as much as you'd think with her race, actually. In order to keep her gills from being sore she has to swim or at least dampen them every so often, as well as her only being able to give birth in water, but she doesn't usually seek out water under circumstances she doesn't need to. Protecting gills, birthing kids, and practicing water control is the extent of her swimming.​

+Have they ever had a bad swimming experience?
Shortly after having her gills nearly damaged, Calista found getting in the river to dampen them pretty painful and deterring, thanks to the dirt and muck she stirred up getting into the cuts and gashes. It was more of a bad wound experience than swimming though.​

+Have they ever almost drowned before?
Nope! Gills make drowning quite difficult, after all!​

+What was their first swimming experience like?
Calista first swam on her own when she was around 3 years old, in the shallows of the river near the village shrine. The same river she gave birth in, actually. She had loved it at the time, finding the independence she gained a nice feeling. It was a fun day for her, and the earliest she could remember. She had first 'swam' when she was only a few weeks old, but true swimming by herself really hadn't come until she was a toddler.​

+Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water?
Calista is one of the more land-loving hydriads, and as such isn't as excited or intrigued by water as some of the others of her own race. She still requires it in unique ways though, and as such she respects the water in a pretty special and unusual way.​

• Thank You
Lucas

Do they know how to swim? Yes but he isn't a very good swimmer.

If they do, how did they learn? A friend taught him.

If they don't, why not? No reason to? Never a chance? A fear of water?

Do they LIKE swimming? He thinks it's fun. So yes he does.

Have they ever had a bad swimming experience? Not really.

Have they ever almost drowned before? No.

What was their first swimming experience like? It was pitiful. He sucked.

Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water? Sorta. He doesn't but other's do.

• Thank You
Kouri
Mikan
Typhon

Do they know how to swim?
"Naturally."
"Uhhmmm..."
"I have wings."

If they do, how did they learn?
"At a local lake when I was young. It was a useful skill set... It was also fun, especially on hot summer days."
"When someone tried to drown me. In a river. I learn quick! It also helped to have a stick to cling to."
"I still have wings."

If they don't, why not? No reason to? Never a chance? A fear of water?
"Why would anyone be afraid of the water? It's so soothing."
"Why wouldn't you be afraid of water? Scary things are in oceans! Dead bodies get dumped in rivers! Ponds are usually where people take the piss!"
"Well, seeing as how I fly, I think my presence here is simply the whimsy of some demented God."

Do they LIKE swimming?
"On the right days with the right people, preferable somewhere private. Absolutely!"
"If swimming counts as waist deep or lower, then yes. If not, then no! Lots of dry land."
"Only if it means I get to pluck someone from the river and then drop them into it from several hundred feet in the air."

Have they ever had a bad swimming experience?
"Not that I can recall."
"Did I mention nearly being drowned in a river? There's also this one time I swam in a sea of blood to rescue someone and it was disgusting and I nearly drowned. I also lived in poverty where anywhere you could swim was probably full of piss. So yeah pretty much my whole childhood and teen years. Mmkay? Okay! Lets flirt and do the tango somewhere else!"
"Only when I failed to drown people by repeatedly dropping them into a river."

Have they ever almost drowned before?
"Thankfully not."
"Multiple. Times."
"I. Have. Wings."

What was their first swimming experience like?
"It was on a midsummer day when I was just a few years old, my older sister and mother brought me out to Arian lake and rowed out. It was just to teach me how to swim, but I still remember how surprised I was when I realized that swimming was as simple as walking. I just laid out on the gentle lake waters for several minutes, basking in the sun."
"Well, nearly being drowned when I was eight? I think? Yeah. Eight sounds about right. I clung to a log and pretended I was dead. I don't think the men who threw me in fell for it and I don't think they cared, they thought I would drown. I quickly figured out how legs work in water, and the rest of me followed towards the shore line. I'm still not that great at it, but, you know, I can at least float reasonable well!"
"I couldn't tell you. Nearly every memory I have of my life before I was an angel is nothing to me now, and happened so many hundreds of years ago that the memories have faded to incorporeal dust."

Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water?
"You should see Alexandria's face when I shove her in water. I think the only thing better is when she drags me in and we have a water fight. It doesn't happen often anymore, with the war going on we're both too busy to go back to the lake, but every once in a while..."
"Nooooope! Get me out of the water though, handsome, and I'll show you fooling around!"
"If fooling around counts as dropping people into the water over and over and watching them flounder about like insects, then, well, yes. I do actually find this quite relaxing!"

Last edited:
The chaos manipulator that goes only by Z does know how to swim. She learned how when she was a baby because her parents believed it was smart for a baby to be able to escape drowning. You know, protective parent type things. Z may swim as a pastime, but it's not her favorite thing to do. One experience in the water, after she learned about the powers she had, she accidentally caused a whirlpool, injuring and killing a few people. It gave her more and more reason to stay away from people. She's never drowned before, but during the times she couldn't control her powers, she would cause freak accidents. The first experience she had swimming was as a baby, so she doesn't remember it all that well. One swimming experience, way after she learned control and way after she decided to become a villain was a time when she decided to have a little fun at the beach. Long story short, there were a lot of tidal waves and quite a lot of people running to safety.

• Thank You
  • Do they know how to swim?​
"Oh for crying out loud, I was the one pushed forward from her mind to do this? REALLY? Well then. No. My name is Kizika Manata, I am 18 and NO, I cannot swim. Happy?"​
  • If they do, how did they learn?​
"Nope. Nope, nope, nope!"​
  • If they don't, why not? No reason to? Never a chance? A fear of water?​
"Well, my mother was a pixie, which should explain the trail of glitter I've left. (Sorry, I'll clean it up.) Her wings couldn't get wet. My father was, is, King of Fire, and thus, water is a no-no. So, I wasn't allowed. Hah. Wish they'd let me! All the relentless teasing I get of those lot in the back of her mind."​
  • Do they LIKE swimming?​
"I don't think I would. Would I?" Are you seriously breaking the 4th wall again? Jeez, no you wouldn't. Fire pixie chick. Duh. "Oh. Right."​
  • Have they ever had a bad swimming experience?​
"I NEARLY DIED." "Here we go." Pipe down, Pepper. "I was 4, and fell into the goldfish pond. I did a little kicky thing and was then attacked by a frog. It was HUGE! It wore a crown.. IT WAS THE MARSH KING." Poor little thi- PEPPER DON'T LAUGH.​
  • Have they ever almost drowned before?​
"Multiple occasions. The loony characters who are nestled in the back of Kaydhen's imagination like to push me into the floundering pools. I learnt how to flounder perfectly. Pfft."​
  • What was their first swimming experience like?​
"Never had a swimming experience. Unless you count drowning and floundering."​
  • Do they like to fool around while in the water or swimming or are they really nervous around water?​
"As I am a princess, I do neither. I glare at it in disgust and walk away hurriedly."​

• Thank You