Renegades OOC

E

*Ermine

Original poster
IC

I don't have anything planned in the way of plot yet, so I'm pen to ideas. Right now, my main concern is that our crew won't exist unless we can find a ship and its Captain. I would like it if this role was filed first, but others are obviously allowed. I don't want to stay on this space station longer than absolutely necessary.

In fact, one we meet a potentially reluctant but good hearted Captain, I actually plan on our character's pretty much never coming back. Let's just say not all ships are the good ship Lollipop. It'll give non crew members a chance to join as passengers, assuming or Captain is generous...

Know what? I think I'll play the Captain. Makes job assignments easier. But we need like 2 more people to join before that (or after. Like I said, captain's letting people on the ship to...

Well, you'll find out).

The below slang comes from the Serenity RPG (which I recommend buying for a mighty good time). I've done a few edits, but mostly changing words or omitting them, while maintaining the spirit of the text.
BASIC RIM WORLD SPEECH
• Truncate the "g" for "ing" words ("Schoolin'")
• Pepper with slang adjectives.
• Double negatives. ("It don't mean nothin' out here.")
• Using odd words and word forms in phrases.
• Use "don't" instead of "doesn't."
• Ain't.
• Odd Words: druther, yonder, dang, plumb, right smart.
• Prefixing on "-ing" ("a-runnin'").
• No –ly on adverbs. ("She described the plan real simple. That job's awful hard to do.")
• Subject and Verb don't match. ("We was goin' there. He got none of that.")
• Malformed verbs. ("He growed up real good. He come by here last night. I seen it with my own eyes. He done run off again.")

A FEW EXAMPLES
• "Looks like we got us some imminent violence."
• "We got no short of ugly ridin' in on us."
• "I'm just feeling kind of truthsome right now."
• "We're in some peril here."
• "We just need a small crew, them as feel the need to be free."
• "This here's a recipe for unpleasantness."
• "I'm shocked my own self."
• "We'll be there directly."
• "But she does have an oddness to her."

SLANG: FRONTIER LIFE
• All-fired — completely. ("Where'd she go gettin' all-fired jealous 'bout this?")
• Awful, Dreadful, Mighty, Plumb, Powerful — adjectives for emphasis. ("Gettin' awful crowded in my sky.")
• Bang-up – great. ("They did a bang-up job.")
• Bughouse – mental hospital.
• Git – go away.
• Ornery – Stubborn, not passive.
• Peck – a large amount.
• Preacher – anyone religious.
• Shindig – A party, usually with dancing.
• Shiny – good or valuable.
• Size someone up – judge how tough they are or what their intentions might be.
• Tetchy – sensitive or complaining.
• Run afoul – to get into trouble with.

SLANG: SPACEFARING
• Atmo – atmosphere, as in to "leave atmo."
• The black – space.
• Clean your housing – to give a thorough beating (as in a spaceship's engine housing).
• Feds, Federals – Members of the Alliance, its military, law enforcement, or functionaries.
• Go to blackout – shut down power on the ship to avoid detection.
• On the drift – in space without fuel unable to travel.
• Reavers – madmen who live on the edges of civilized space, flying dangerous ships and preying on other space vessels.
• The Rim – frontier planets, not the core.
• The 'Verse – inhabited space or the universe.
• Being buzzed – Sensors from another ship are actively sweeping you.

SLANG: UNDERWORLD
• Doxy – prostitute.
• Drops – illegal, addictive, narcotic drugs.
• Second story job – breaking and entering, robbery.
• Scratch – valuables.
• The goods – loot.
• Went south – problems appeared, the plan fell apart.
• Tonic – amateur or illegal alcoholic drink.
• Bushwhack – ambush.
• Footpad – pickpocket thief in a town.
• Hornswoggle – to trick someone.
• On the dodge – wanted by the police.

SLANG: TECHNICAL
• Advocate – a lawyer.
• Cortex – wide-spread information network
• Genseed – Genetically engineered crop seeds used on freshly terraformed worlds.
• Skyplex – orbital city or space station.
• Wave – a communication: text, audio, video, or holographic.

The Chinese that became one of the two primary tongues of the 'Verse was originally known as Mandarin—China's official language. Mandarin, or Pekingese, is a dialect once spoken in that country's northern part, primarily around the Beijing city. The other major Chinese dialect was Cantonese, spoken down south in the Canton Province. Way back in the Earth-That-Was days, the Chinese folk actually went through a bruhaha as to which of the two tongues to make official. Though no blood was shed far as we know, it was a verbal civil war. North vs. South fought with volleys of dead-waking hollers over the virtues of their respective cant. Obviously in the end Mandarin won out. So instead of yat zeu, people shout chui se to tell folks to go to hell.

Chinese is a very different tongue than English, and is difficult to learn for those who don't pick it up in the earliest years. Traditional Chinese has four inflections, five if you count the fifth, "soft" one. You best enunciate each just right or you might have folk scratching their head, wondering why you're so upset about losing a shoe when you're really trying to alarm them of a man overboard. We said traditional, because in the 26th century we go by New Chinese. Like English where new words constantly replace the old and nobody utters the Earth-That-Was slang, Chinese got a makeover too. The progression of humans into a bilingual community evolved the original language into a strip-downed version. The main languages, Chinese and English, each have certain subjects and ideas it can express more efficiently. Over time, folks figured out what they are and started replacing different parts of speech with whichever language that related their thoughts the best. A doctor in the 26th century wouldn't hope to explain chi flow in English, for instance, any more than a control station would give docking instructions in Chinese. Words and phrases became further streamlined—curmudgeon sticklers would say "corrupted." But only those reared in true Old Chinese-speaking households would complain, and the accessibility made it much easier for lower-class folk of English-speaking heritage.

JUNG J'WOHN GUO HUA LIKE A TRUE SPACER
The above would read "Speaking Chinese Like a True Spacer" in English. In humanity's new home, a collective of humans is all able to swear in a 5,000+ year-old language — with a cowboy twang. The following phrases can be tossed into whatever situation seems most appropriate—or not. These just scratch the surface of Chinese cursing possibilities. While even educated, refined folk swear every now and then, you're more likely to hear most of these phrases out of a free-boosting fringe rat.
• A switch to those girls' backsides is just good enough: Byen Dah Tah Muhn Dug Bay Jo Go Lai.
• Abracadabra-alakazam: Tian-Ling-Ling, Di-Ling-Ling.
• Accusing someone of lying, a ridiculous notion, or talking out of the posterior: Fuhn Pi, literally "farting."
• Agitate someone out of hiding: Da Chow Jing Ser, literally "beating the grass to startle the snake."
• Alas, not good, what a mess, too bad: Jao Gao, literally "spoiled cake."
• Allies: Nien Mohn.
• Are we clear?: Dohn luh mah.
• Attributing an unfortunate longshot occurrence: Yeh Lu Jwo Duo Luh Jwohn Whei Jian Guay, literally "do enough nighttime travels and one will eventually see a ghost"; also a warning of future retribution.
• Awesome or extraordinarily clever: Gao Guhn, literally "high pole."
• Baboon's ass crack: Feh Feh Pi Goh.
• Bastard, jerk: Huen Dahn, literally "rotten egg."
• Big boss or operator of a business: Lao Buhn; Lao Buhn Ni'un for female boss or proprietor's wife. Also informal appellation for acquaintances.
• Big brother: Ghuh or Ghuh-Ghuh, the former is more intimate and connotes blood relation.
• Big stupid pile of stinking meat: Yi Dwei Da Buen Chuo Roh.
• Big sister: Jei or Jei-Jei.
• Blindside or conspire against someone secretly: Fahn Leong Jian, literally "shoot a cold arrow."
• Bottoms up: Gon Beh, literally "dry cup."
• Brilliant: Jing Chai.
• Cheap floozy: Jien Huo.
• Check at once: Ma Shong Jien Cha.
• Cheering or urging someone on: Jah Yoh, literally "add fuel," equivalent of "go (name)!" in English.
• Chinese/Mandarin language: Jwohn Guo Hua.
• Cool: Ku.
• Commit blunder of great magnitude: Bie Woo Lohng.
• Complete disarray or sheer pandemonium: Tian Fuhn Di Fu, literally "sky tumbles while earth turns over."
• Completely useless: Tian Di Wu Yohn.
• Congratulations: Gohn Shi.
• Conniving or scheming person: Guay Toh Guay Nown, literally "ghost head and ghost brain."
• Crazy dog in love with its own feces: Ai Chr Jze Se Duh Fohn Diang Gho.
• Cursing: Ma Jung Hwa, literally "chastise with dirty words."
• Cute: Kuh Ai.
• Damn or damn it: Ta Ma Duh, literally "his mother's..."
• Dangerous person or animal: Wei Shian Dohn Woo.
• Daydream or wishful thinking: Bai Lih Mohn.
• Deserving of bad consequence or fate: Hwo Gai.
• Despicable: Kuh Wu.
• Do something for nothing in return, or wasted endeavor without a payoff: Yee Yan, literally "a charity show."
• Done for or imminent doom: Wong Dahn, literally "finished (cooked) egg."
• Dumbass: Chwen, descriptive, literally "retarded"
• Earthshaking: Jing Tian Dwohn Di, literally "startle the sky and shake the earth."
• Engage a monkey in feces-hurling contest: G'en Ho Tze Bi Dio se.
• Enough of this nonsense: Go Hwong Tong.
• Everything under the sky: Tian Shia, can be used to allude to the world or universe.
• Excrement: Mi Tian Gohn, slang, derives from the fact that when you stack the three characters — "mi" (rice), "tian" (paddy), and "gohn" (public or mutual) — from top to bottom in that order, they form the ideograph for excrement.
• Explosive diarrhea of an elephant: Da Shiong La Se La Ch'wohn Tian.
• Fear nothing but (fill in the blank): Tian Bu Pa, Di Bu Pa, Tze Pa...
• Fellow: Ja Hwo, also slang for weapon.
• Female companion or girlfriend: Ma Tze, a somewhat derogatory slang; add Dow in front for "looking to get a girlfriend."
• Filthy fornicators of livestock: Ung Jeong Jia Ching Jien Soh.
• Fire!: Kai Huo (as in shooting), Fuhn Huo (as in starting).
• Fire at will or terminate with extreme prejudice: Da Kai Sa Jeh, meaning "breaking the Buddhist vow against killing."
• Flat-chested: Hur Bao Duhn, slang, literally "eggs cooked sunny side-up."
• Foiled or ruined at the last moment: Soh Ya Feh Tian, expression, literally, "a cooked duck flies away."
• Fool: Sah Gwa, literally "stupid melonhead."
• Friend, pal, buddy: Puhn Yoh.
• Gang, crew, or confederate of diehards: Se Duhng.
• Gang or faction leader: Da Gher Da for male, Da Jeh Da for female, slang.
• Garbage: Luh Suh.
• Get bold or audacious: Fahn Dahn, literally "release courage."
• Get lost: Kwai Jio Kai.
• Go all out, hold nothing back: Ping Ming, literally "fight for one's life."
• Go to hell: Chui Se, literally "go die."
• Good or okay: How.
• Good journey or bon voyage: Yi Lu Shwen Fohn.
• Good luck: Joo How Rin.
• Greetings: Ni How.
• Handsome: Shwie.
• Happy development or fortuitous turn of event: How Shi Sung Chung, literally "a good show's about to start," can be used sarcastically.
• Have desires above one's social/financial position, or beyond one's ability to realize: Lai Huh Moh Sheong Tze Tian Uh Zoh, literally "for a toad to think of eating a swan."
• He or she: Tah, tah-duh for his or hers, tah-muhn for them, tah-muhn-duh for theirs.
• Homewrecking tramp: Hu Li Jing, literally "fox spirit."
• Hump: Gun.
• Hurry, speed up: Guhn Kwai.
• I or me: Wuo, wuo-duh for mine.
• I don't believe my eyes!: Wo Bu Shin Wo Dah Yan Jing.
• I neither see nor hear you: Wuo Dwei Nee Boo Ting Boo Jen.
• Idiot, moron: Buhn Dahn, literally "stupid egg," or Chwen Joo, literally "retarded pig."
• Impossible: Bu Kuh Nuhn.
• Impressive display or visage but no substance: Da Chung Wu Dahn, literally "big gun, no bullet."
• In someone's doghouse: Luhn Gohn, literally "a cold palace," which is where an emperor confines those concubines who have fallen out of favor.
• In that case, never mind: Nah Mei Guan Shee.
• Junk: Feh Wu.
• Leader of a criminal operation: Ser Toh, literally "snakehead," derogatory.
• Leave one to his own fate: Tze Sh'un Tze Mieh.
• Let me repeat myself: Wuo Jai Jeong Yi Chi.
• Life support failure: Shuhn Ming Shi T'wohn Gu Jong.
• Like hell: Jien Ta Duh Guay, literally "see his ghost."
• Little brother: Di or Di-Di.
• Little sister: Mei or Mei-Mei.
• Long time no see: How Joh Bu Jian.
• Male companion or boyfriend: Kai Tze, also a somewhat derogatory slang.
• Manipulate, or playing somebody for a fool: Swa.
• Merciful Buddha protect us: Rung Tse Fwo Tzoo Bao Yo Wuo Muhn.
• Merciful God, please take me away: Rung Tse Song Di Ching Dai Wuo Tzo.
• Merciless bastard: Lurn Shwei Jah Jwohn, literally "cold-blooded mixed breed."
• Merciless hell: Ai Yah Tien Ah.
• Mind your own business: Gwon Ni Tze Jee Duh Shr.
• Miss: Shao Jeh, literally "little lady." Follows a name when addressing a known person, so River would be addressed as Tam River shao jeh, or simply Tam shao jeh.
• Mister: Shian Shen, literally "born before me," also follows a person's name.
• Monkey raping: Cheong Bao Ho Tze.
• Motherless goat of all motherless goats: Mei Yong Ma Duh Tse Gu Yong.
• Muddled, mixed-up, confused: Wu Toh Wu Now, literally "without a head or a brain."
• No problem: Mei Wen Ti.
• Not advised: Jwohn Gao Bu Yi.
• Not enough: Bu Goh, or Hai Bu Goh for "not enough yet."
• Not keeping a rendezvous: Fahn Gher Tze, literally "release a pigeon" but insinuating not picking up the bird at the destination.
• Now, immediately: Ma Shong.
• Nuts: Shiang Jing Ping or just Shiang Jing; Fah Shiang Jing for "going nuts."
• Oddball or a goof: Chai Neow.
• Of course: Duhn Ruhn.
• Oh my God: Wuo Duh Tian Ah.
• Old: Lao.
• Old man/husband: Lao Gohn.
• Old lady/wife: Lao Puo.
• One must be ruthless to be a great: Wu Du Bu Juhn Fu, literally "a person without poison is not a great man."
• Outdo someone or doing one better: Dao-Gao-Yee-Chi Moh-Gao-Yee-Juhn, expression, literally "the solution advances a yard, the problem advances a mile."
• Pal: Lao Sheong if addree's older, Lao Di if younger; used for men only. P'n Yoh for "friend."
• Pathetic wretch: Bei Bi Shiou Ren, literally "shameless dirty little person"
• Peon, small fry, a nobody: Wu Ming Shao Jwu, literally "nameless little foot soldier."
• Prehistoric: Lao Deow Ya, literally "so old as to lose all teeth"
• Pig's Sty: Joo Fuen Chse.
• Pile of sun-baked dog poo: Ri shao gou shi bing.
• Plain, bland, bare: Yong Chwen Mien, slang taken from the namesake generic, flavorless noodle dish.
• Please be quiet: Ching Ahn Jing Yi Dien.
• Pool of excrement: F'n Zse, can be used in an expression for "deep crap."
• Pool of pig droppings: Joo Fuen Chse.
• Posterior: Pi Gu.
• Precious, darling, sweetheart: Bao Bei.
• Real man: Nuhn Tze Huhn.
• Really dangerous: Wei Shan, more poetic, Wo Hu Chung Long, which is "crouching tiger, hidden dragon," an expression for something dangerous.
• Redundant, unnecessary complicating something: Wua Ser Tian Jwoo, literally "draw a snake and add feet to it."
• Retreat, run away: Jio Weh Sung Chiuh, phrase summarizing the last of the Chinese "36 Stratagems," which extols the virtue of fleeing to fight another day.
• Ridiculously stange, illogical or nonsensical: Mo Min Chi Meow, literally "not understanding the pecularity."
• Ruined, finished: Wan Duhn Luh.
• Ruthless or savage beast of a person: Ching Soh.
• Screw him/her running: Gun Ta Jwo Lu.
• Screw you: Chwee Ni Duh.
• Shameless Hussy: Meh Lien Duh Jyah Jee, literally "faceless bastard prostitute."
• Shiny, awesome, fantastic: Jahn!
• Shut up: Bi Jweh.
• Shut up and make us wealthy: Bi Jweh, Lung Wuo Mun fah tsai.
• Sir: Da Yeh. When used as a nobility, Nuhn Jwei, following the name.
• So guilty as to deserve a thousand deaths: Jwei Gai Won Se.
• Son of a bitch: Wong Ba Duhn, or Go Neong Yung Duh for a more literal and vicious translation.
• Speak now and quickly: Yo Hua Kwai Suo.
• Speaking without a clue: Shiah Hwa, literally "blind talk."
• Stop talking: Joo Koh.
• Stupid son of a drooling whore and monkey: Lio Coh Jwei Ji Neong Hur Ho Deh Yung Duh Buhn Jah J'wohn.
• Swindle: Gwai.
• Suicidal idea: Tze sah ju yi.
• Surrender, give up: Toh Shung.
• Take care, stay healthy: Bao Jone, literally "maintain weight."
• Talk nonsense: Shia Suo.
• There's nothing in this plan that isn't horrific: Juh Guh Jee Hua Juhn Kuh Pah!
• Things never go smooth: How W'rin Bu Lai, Whai W'rin Bu Jwo, literally "good luck don't come, bad luck don't leave."
• To throw in a monkeywrench: Gwai Ma Jeow, literally "twist a horse's legs (while it's galloping)."
• Trouble, problem, complication: Ma Fuhn.
• Tyrant, iron-fisted ruler: Ba Wong.
• Ugly or perverted person: Joo Bah Jeh, insult taken from the name of the hoggish, lecherous character in the popular Chinese folktale, "Journey to the West."
• Understand: Dohn, dohn-ma for "understand?", dohn-luh-mah for "are we clear here?"
• Very: Feh Chun.
• Wait/hold on a second: D'un Yi Shia.
• Warning someone against doing things "the hard way": Jin Joh Bu Chi Chi Fah Joh, literally "choosing to sip the wine of penalty over that of respect."
• We, us: Wuo Mun, Wuo Mun Duh for ours.
• We will enjoy your silence now: Bai Tuo, Uhn Jin Yee Dien.
• What: Shuh Muh?
• What the hell is this crap: Juh Shi Suh Mo Go Dohng Shee?
• You: Ni, ni-duh for yours, ni-muhn for plural, ni-muhn-duh for plural possessive.
• You don't deserve it: Ni Bu Ying Duh Jur Guh.
• You wanna bullet right in your throat?: Nee Yow Wuo Kai Chiung?
• You wanna die?: Nee Tzao Se Mah?
• Young one: Nyen Ching Duh, or Yo Chr, slang for underaged (literally "infant teeth.)
• Water: Swei.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say I'm interested in jumping in. I'm reading over the posts now. ^^

You don't have to make a super long intro post, by the way. It's nice, but not by any means necessary. ^//^ Also, I'd like to add that the Captain position is still open, I was just saying I'd do it if no one else did. I mean, we have a pilot by default if no one else joins; Sybil was literally made for it. I'd like to see someone else who can pilot, even if it's not their primary role. It could be the Captain, too, but the Captain should be able to be anywhere in the ship when needed.

~A ship brings you a job. A gun helps you keep it.
And our Captain should have both.

Do you have any intentions / plotting for the captain? Or are you just expecting someone with a ship (and a gun)?

Also, how long was the war?

Last edited:
Err...I hadn't thought about how long the war was. Given the speed of ships at the time, and the resources of the Allies...and the determination of the Dragon...About 12 years. Very few of which core world civilians knew anything about (because it was such a "small uprising" of rim planets.

Cool thanks. Looks like Mufi has a ship. I'll swing more engineer / guns. ^^

More than one engineer will be a little awkward. -shrug- But awkward isn't necessarily bad. Just keep in mind how connected Sybil is with ships. She's not likely to give you a chance to even go into the engine room, unless she's forced to be the pilot. Which she may be soon...

So...yeah. Go ahead. ^~^

Do you have other suggestions for crew jobs? It's not too late for me to pivot. ^^

Really, it's up to you. Whatever you want your character to be. Except captain, obviously.

I'm also really hoping someone else saved a pic of my character, because the image was "moved or deleted" (even though I did neither with it). It's like the ONE pic I didn't save of a character. I ALWAYS save them. ><

Nope. It's been a "moved or deleted" image for me since the first time I saw it. Sorry. :\ Do the others know about this thread?

Well, I know about it, at least. :)

As far as filling positions, I'm figuring that, as captain, Alex can probably do at least a basic version of most things to deal with gaps, but expertise is better (and he has to sleep sometime), so... have at it with whatever. XD

I've been trying to either find the image again or find another one, but most robots, AIs, and cyborgs, when paired with the word "female", become porn.

Edit: Found a replacement I like. I edited the image in, and saved it on my computer. Still have no idea why I didn't do it with the last one.

Okay, going to edit slang and stuff into the first post for more proper immersion if you're playing someone from outer and rim planets. If your character's from the core planets, speak right proper, and you won't risk bein' seen as a chwen joo.

Edit 3: So...umm...that took me almost an hour to do. There's a lot more there than there really NEEDS to be, admittedly, but I hope you take the time to use some of them in your speech if you're from anywhere but a core planet. But you can still use it then...just try not to overdo it unless your character's trying to sound like a border or rim planet person.

Erm, I thought Alex and Tara's fight happened on his ship before he went into the bar... ? Then again, I'm not sure how Sybil's sensors work.

Also, where are you grabbing the text? I'm actually Chinese, and half of what you write doesn't make sense since it uses a different pronunciation, but I'm guessing that's because I also didn't understand half of what Firefly had either. That said, would you mind me inserting Chinese not from Firefly? I could add translations at the bottom.

I say in the first post in this thread. "New Chinese." It's in the spoiler. Well technically, I say that outside the spoiler, but the new Chinese is in the spoiler. And yeah, go ahead...if your character has strong Chinese ancestry. Then it would make sense. Otherwise, they use the stuff up top there.

Moving the plot forward in like 3-5 more of my posts. Gives like 7 or 8 more of my posts until people have to wait to join.

Also, wasn't sure where the fight took place. The end was near the bar, though. That's what she heard.

Yeah, the fight started on the ship and continued through to just outside the bar. The final exchange was the one there, and I was assuming that's what Sybil heard. :)

I've heard that Firefly mangled the pronunciation something horrible on the stuff they used. Probably on account of they weren't actually trying to be properly Chinese, just to sneak past the censors. >.>

Ah. Okay. My fail.

I really meant the "online translations" which don't follow any romanization I know.

I think I've only done that for like one word.

Let's just assume the bar, the ship, and the slums are in a pretty close area...

If something REALLY bad were to happen, would Alex be willing to take a few strangers onto the ship? Like...a couple passengers, really, who yet have no purpose. Just to make it easier for new people to join. Like I said, I'm moving the plot forward soon.

Can they pay? ;) Cash up front is a very good incentive.

Are you thinking of refugees? Because in that case... yeah, maybe, but he'd complain about it loudly. Is the idea here just to get a couple unnamed NPCs on board in case people want to join while the ship's moving?

(He's going to bring all of you on the ship, of course, he's just a suspicious sort and has to play negotiation games first. Next post can include some job offers, if we want to get things moving.)